Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 15:26   #976
BHPian

Tata call centre says product yet to be launched. It seems product will not roll in before July. Meanwhile I am having probs with my existing STB and cable. Water seeped into the long cable from top of the building (7 floors hight - am on first floor). The water came upto connector and seems to have shorted something !! Wondering what to do now.
Feeling like giving Dish TV a try with their HD offer !!
Old 16th June 2010, 15:32   #977
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews for Airtel Digital TV? As existing customer of Airtel I get installation etc @ 999/-.

How is the service in Bangalore?
Old 16th June 2010, 16:46   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Any reviews for Airtel Digital TV? As existing customer of Airtel I get installation etc @ 999/-.

How is the service in Bangalore?
As compared to tata sky,the picture quality is better , but UI is not that good.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:36   #979
Senior - BHPian

^
^ i would suggest go for either tata sky hd or dish hd at least you will get better quality of audio / video with the upgraded stb.

i am travelling now, i wish tata sky hd will be ready in bangalore once i am back.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:46   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Your wish has been heard. Check out today's TOI. Dish TV announces HD.

Yeah. Dish TV is offering 4 HD channels including Zee TV, Zee Cinema, Discovery HD and NG HD. The interesting part is that they are offering HD streaming of FIFA World Cup as well. It is claimed to be at 1080i resolution same as TSky HD.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:00   #981
BHPian

There is ESPN HD on my Dish - channel 60 or nearby with paid channel message.

Wonder what happens if you pay for HD and it rains hard during the games. IMO they need to improve that part of service first.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:27   #982
Senior - BHPian

TataSky HD @ 2599/- is a great deal !
smart of them to delink HD & DVR services..

I am an existing subscriber..
will wait for a few more channels to be added to the HD list before I finally buy it
Old 16th June 2010, 20:19   #983
Senior - BHPian

howmany hd channels areavailable withtata sky at the moment?
is it available in bangalore yet for existing customers?
Old 17th June 2010, 07:09   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
howmany hd channels areavailable withtata sky at the moment?
is it available in bangalore yet for existing customers?
Two channels plus their showcase videos - Kites is one of the movies available in 1080i..They have a tiff with ESPN, so the worldcup HD broadcast will only be available on DishTV of Zee that also announced an HD box..

Box is not yet available in Bangalore - after a few days or weeks..Only in chennai, mumbai and delhi
Old 17th June 2010, 12:19   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Last when i called them they said when we launch HD will offer you free installation with exchange of your old STB, i have 2 connections and going to upgrade both as i am fed up with SD broadcast now.
Exchange the STB for how much?
Old 17th June 2010, 12:44   #986
BHPian

Seems to me all this HD announcements are a game of one-upmanship between the various service providers. On caontacting customer care, these guys are clueless / without sufficient details.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:55   #987
BHPian

I wrote a mail to Dishtv customer care and got a swift reply :

Quote:
Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Thank you for writing to dishtv.

This is in reference to your e-mail regarding High Definition services for the VC XXXX.

We would like to inform you that Dishtv HD brings exceptionally clear, crisp pictures with vivid colors, upto five times more picture detail and upto three times enhanced sound quality, than standard definition.

As HD stock has already been launched in Market, you can visit any of your nearest dealers in order to test out the HD channels.

The channels which Dish Tru HD offering includes Zee TV HD, Zee Cinema HD, Discovery World HD, National Geographic HD and ESPN HD will be free to both North and South subscribers.

Furthermore, in order to experience HD services you are supposed to buy only new HD Set Top Box worth Rs 2990/-. Moreover, you will be provided with subscription of 2 months Platinum package wherein 3 channels (Nat Geo, Discovery and ESPN) will be provided for South subscribers and in order to receive rest all HD channels south subscribers are supposed to pay Rs 75/- for HD package.

Incase of any concerns please write to us or call us, we would be glad to be of assistance.

We value your association and assure you of our commitment to serve you with a smile.
I'm thinking of getting this soon. The only problem i have is that i recharged my account for 3 months recently, so want to know if this will be carried forward into the new one.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:09   #988
Senior - BHPian

In both Tata sky and Dish TV case, the existing users will have to shell out additional amount for the HD set top box and and in both case no offers are present for existing users having STB. Also the no of HD channels are min and do not justify the additional cost one would put in to get the new STB. I feel it should be wait n watch until the no of channels are increased considerably. Till then I am happy with the existing set up.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:23   #989
BHPian

I'm wondering if the remaining channels will be still be shown in 4:3 or in 16:9. Most of my relatives who are used to watching TV on their 4:3 TVs think that the picture is stretched on my TV . I need to ask them if moving to the HD service will improve things or not for the other channels.
Anyways, I watch TV mostly for the F1 races, which Bernie has confirmed that it will not be on HD till atleast 2012 .

Edit: Just got a reply to my next mail where i asked about my package and the HDMI cable. Looks like the Dishtv team is really prompt with their replies .
Quote:
We would like to inform you that it will be continued in the same package except the package that you will have to subscribe as hdmi package , the details for which have already been provided to you in our previous mail.

Furthermore, the HDMI cable will be provided with the Set Top Box which would be HDMI enabled.

Incase of any concerns please write to us or call us, we would be glad to be of assistance.

We value your association and assure you of our commitment to serve you with a smile.

Regards,
So this means, I can get a new Set top box and continue with my current package and the amount i have already paid, as 3 of the HD channels are free and i need to pay only for the additional 2 channels. Sounds great to me.

Last edited by Newpunter : 17th June 2010 at 13:32. Reason: Received Update
Old 17th June 2010, 13:33   #990
BHPian

Discovery/NGC HD channels itself will be worth the price. Question is, even if these so-called HD channels will be broadcasting 100% of their content in HD?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks