Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 13:18   #901
BANNED

I have an installation/wiring question about DTH.

I have the dish (from DISHTV) installed in the building terrace. From there wire go hanging to a point outside my flat where there is some kind of box. From the box, there is internal wiring going to 2 points in my flat. The 2 points in my flat are in the main room & in the main bedroom. Currently I have a TV only in the main room, so that's the only point used.

I am planning on getting a 2nd connection (either cable or DTH or IPTV or whatever) for my guest bedroom - the problem is that there is no existing concealed prewired point in my guest bedroom - so how do I go about this? Can an electrician or someone create a new point in guest bedroom so that I don't have to take the connection from the main bedroom & have the wire running from the main bedroom to the guest bedroom. I don't need a connection in the main bedroom. Anyone have any suggestions for this?
Old 27th October 2009, 11:22   #902
BHPian

Dishtv should be able to set you up on a multi room subscription. You buy another set top box, the folks from Dish will then draw a cable from the main unit to the new box in the guest bedroom for your 2nd tv. so apart from what you pay for your primary package, a nominal fee of around rs.150 is charged for the secondary one every month. The same package will be available for your view on the 2nd connection. As far as i know, Tata Sky charges rs.125 for upto 3 multi room connections.

Hope this helps.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:57   #903
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
Dishtv should be able to set you up on a multi room subscription. You buy another set top box, the folks from Dish will then draw a cable from the main unit to the new box in the guest bedroom for your 2nd tv. so apart from what you pay for your primary package, a nominal fee of around rs.150 is charged for the secondary one every month. The same package will be available for your view on the 2nd connection. As far as i know, Tata Sky charges rs.125 for upto 3 multi room connections.

Hope this helps.
I know I can get a 2nd package from Dish. My question was more about the wiring - how will the wiring be done. Can some kind of internal wiring be done?
Old 27th October 2009, 12:02   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I know I can get a 2nd package from Dish. My question was more about the wiring - how will the wiring be done. Can some kind of internal wiring be done?
You can do the internal wiring yourself, but make sure it is of the same quality as used by the dish folks for their original wiring. Usually RG6 grade gas-filled coaxial cable would suffice but still make it sure with dish or with someone working with dish.

the most important factor in doing the wiring yourself are the 'connectors' and the 'joints' that you may use, these have to be of very high quality since they should result in minimum signal loss.

Just ensure quality esp in the smaller stuff like connectors, adaptors and joints and you should be fine.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:05   #905
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
You can do the internal wiring yourself
How is this done? i.e. there should already be an internal conduit between the main room to the guest bedroom or the main bedroom to guest bedroom, right? How to figure out if this exists? Even if this exists how, to get the cable through the conduit?
Old 27th October 2009, 12:11   #906
Senior - BHPian

well you need to have the internal pipes in place without which you cannot do the internal wiring. Now if you do not have pre-existing internal pipes then you could use channels.

how to get it done in case it exists:

well there is a wire called a 'pull wire' avaiable in electrical shops, remove your wall point and push the 'pull wire' through till you get to the point where the internal pipes end. Now attach one end of the 'pull wire' to the cable and secure it in such a way that you are able to pull the cable with the help of the 'pull wire' through the internal pipes. The tie should be compact enough to pass through the internal pipes and all the twists and bends that they usually have.

Sometimes you may have to lubricate the cable by applying some water or little oil as required.

If that sounds difficult, just ask your neighbourhood electrician to do it for you.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:10   #907
BHPian

Quote:
how to get it done in case it exists:

well there is a wire called a 'pull wire' avaiable in electrical shops, remove your wall point and push the 'pull wire' through till you get to the point where the internal pipes end. Now attach one end of the 'pull wire' to the cable and secure it in such a way that you are able to pull the cable with the help of the 'pull wire' through the internal pipes. The tie should be compact enough to pass through the internal pipes and all the twists and bends that they usually have.

Sometimes you may have to lubricate the cable by applying some water or little oil as required.

If that sounds difficult, just ask your neighbourhood electrician to do it for you.
Nicely explained.

But it sure is harder than it sounds (ask me, am doing it for years now). Gets harder when the conduit has some other wires already residing in there. Worse if it is tightly packed.

Plus you need to know the route of the conduit and open all junction boxes on the way. This helps giving the pull wire direction.

But can be risky since you don't want the pull wire to land up behind a live switch board and touch the live terminal (giving you a shock) or short-circuit some terminals (fire risk).

Watch someone do it once, and then it is D-I-Y.

Just did it last weekend over a metre long conduit (with 2 bends). Struggled for hours is not the word . But was fun when it finally worked!
Old 28th October 2009, 14:35   #908
BHPian

What I done was like this ->

1. Search for the path between the starting and end points. (Straight and minimal prefered)
2. Wire will go over the border of floor tiles, above 4 inches ( wire sticking in the wall just above skirting or tiles glued to wall). Behind furniture is prefered.
3. Use casing-caping to hide wire and through holes to pass from one room to another.
4. It is visiable but can be matched with colour of the wall.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:17   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
What I done was like this ->

1. Search for the path between the starting and end points. (Straight and minimal prefered)
2. Wire will go over the border of floor tiles, above 4 inches ( wire sticking in the wall just above skirting or tiles glued to wall). Behind furniture is prefered.
3. Use casing-caping to hide wire and through holes to pass from one room to another.
4. It is visiable but can be matched with colour of the wall.
Exactly what I did to route the speaker wires for my home theatre setup!

Trick is to get the casing-caping (1/2") and paint it (with wall colour) before you start fixing it. It becomes almost invisible!

But do this approach only if you don't have a concealed conduit already!
Old 1st November 2009, 00:08   #910
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just wondering, how easy is it to get tamil channels in bengaluru? Basically the sun direct package with all the tamil channels like sun, vijay etc.

I heard there was a blackout some years ago...

cheers
Old 1st November 2009, 00:09   #911
Senior - BHPian

You can register tamil basic package when taking connection with sun direct.big tv is the other option.
Old 1st November 2009, 01:34   #912
Senior - BHPian

Ok, thanks for the info dude
Old 1st November 2009, 08:04   #913
BHPian

USB slot on Big TV STB ?

What is the use of USB slot on Big TV STB ?
Old 1st November 2009, 09:00   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can do the internal wiring yourself, but make sure it is of the same quality as used by the dish folks for their original wiring. Usually RG6 grade gas-filled coaxial cable would suffice but still make it sure with dish or with someone working with dish.

the most important factor in doing the wiring yourself are the 'connectors' and the 'joints' that you may use, these have to be of very high quality since they should result in minimum signal loss.

Just ensure quality esp in the smaller stuff like connectors, adaptors and joints and you should be fine.
The tatasky people left a bundle of wire at my house for internal wiring. Thay dint do the wiring themselves but provided the cable for free. Luckily my building employs an electrician round the clock. He took about 4 hours to wire the living room, my parents bedroom and my bedroom. It wasn't too hard. All you need is a spring type of wire and of course the cable itself.
Old 1st November 2009, 09:10   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
The tatasky people left a bundle of wire at my house for internal wiring. Thay dint do the wiring themselves but provided the cable for free. Luckily my building employs an electrician round the clock. He took about 4 hours to wire the living room, my parents bedroom and my bedroom. It wasn't too hard. All you need is a spring type of wire and of course the cable itself.
I don't know why, but BigTV guys refused to use my internal wires for the TV connection. They said the connection needs one seamless cable, hence the internal wires with joints for different rooms wouldn't be of any use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks