Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 17:05   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Huami’s latest smartwatch Amazfit T-Rex is finally in India and is up for pre-order on Amazon.in at ₹9,999. The watch has been built to withstand extreme heat and cold and has a tested heat resistance of 70 degree Celsius. The tested cold resistance is -40 degrees Celsius but with a caveat. It can only withstand it for duration of 15 hours. The watch is also water-proof and can survive under water up to 50 metres.

Basically looks like G-Shock (tough) version of smartwatch. However youtube has mixed reviews. Main concern seems inconsistent heart rate monitoring.

I was looking for a smartwatch under 10k. Confused between T-Rex and Huawei GT 2e.
Attached Thumbnails
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-amaz.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 16:27   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Huami’s latest smartwatch Amazfit T-Rex is finally in India and is up for pre-order on Amazon.in at ₹9,999. .
I was looking at this as well. Conflicted because it looks good and affordable but from China !

Was also looking at the Fitbit Versa 2 and the Galaxy Active 2, Amazfit GTR and Stratos -2. Been delaying it since March.
Old 11th June 2020, 12:38   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I was looking at this as well. Conflicted because it looks good and affordable but from China !

Was also looking at the Fitbit Versa 2 and the Galaxy Active 2, Amazfit GTR and Stratos -2. Been delaying it since March.
Almost all wearable fitness devices these days are 'Made In China'. Even Apple for that matter itself says ' Designed in California, manufactured in China'.

Huami Corporation, a biometric and activity data-driven company with significant expertise in smart wearable technology, is the largest wearable device company worldwide with over 50 million units sold and 17.1% global marketshare.

Infact Mclaren Applied Technology also has a strategic collaboration with Huami. These co-developed, co-branded products will work seamlessly with mobile applications to provide users with a comprehensive view of their biometric and activity data, particularly in relation to health and wellness-based activities and competitive esports, a market segment of growing popularity over recent years. The collaboration will explore the application of metrics-driven wearables that contribute to the optimisation of human performance in the field of racing, such as body sensors and AI technology.
Old 11th June 2020, 20:27   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Almost all wearable fitness devices these days are 'Made In China'. Even Apple for that matter itself says ' Designed in California, manufactured in China'.
Didn't know about the McLaren tie-up. Anyway nothing seems to be deliverable at this point. Not had time for fitness either with the crazy work from home schedules. Will keep watching and buy as soon as deliveries start.
Old 19th June 2020, 16:12   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up an Amazfit Bip S a few weeks ago and am quiet satisfied with what it delivers for the 4.5K price tag. My primary use case was a fitness tracker and not a smart watch. I am not a big fan of notifications on the wrist hence never did enable it on the watch. Wanted a device that can track my walks, cycling routes and give me some rudimentary info on sleep patterns. The Bip S more than meets the brief on my 3 primary wants.

Pros
  • Excellent GPS with relatively low error. Compared it with my pixel 3 gps tracking and the Bip S is in the 5-8% error range most times.
  • Even in an urban environment with tall buildings, the tracker gets a gps lock in 15-20s
  • Used the gps while walking and cycling, worked well for both
  • Simple, no nonsense watch UI
  • Great battery life. Easily lasts about 7-8 days if you use GPS for an hour every day. If you dont use GPS tracking, then the charge drops by 4-5% points each day (without connecting to app notifications)
  • Light and easy to wear 24*7. Polycarbonate case makes it very light and Standard 20mm wrist strap is comfortable.

Needs Improvement
  • HR tracking - 7-8 bps error when immobile, which increases to 10-12 bps in the active zone and goes up to 15+ bps when you are pushing yourself. If accurate HR tracking is very important for you, stay away from the Bip S.
  • Amazfit App - while its easy to use and does sync with the watch and google fit seamlessly, I still feel that the UI and UX could be better. They need to take a leaf of fitbit or huawei and improve the app

I haven't tried using all the other fitness modes (yoga, treadmill etc.) or the music control feature, hence not commenting on them.

On the whole, would rate the watch 3.75/5 and recommend the same to anyone who plans to use this for basic fitness tracking.
Attached Thumbnails
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-00100lrportrait_00100_burst20200619153619556_cover_2.jpg  

procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 19:31   #396
BANNED

I have used follwing fitness trackers
Honor band 3
Honor band 5
Mi band 4
Garmin Vivo smart 3
Riversong wave o2

Among these mi band 4 is an all rounder, but i personally use honor band 5 for having best HR sensor and sleep tracking.
Garmin vivo smart 3 was a dissapointed considering its price, it has more features but not accurate.
For fitness tracking
Honor 5 is the best then garmin
For smart features mi band 4
splitsecond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:45   #397
BHPian

Re: Simple SmartWatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
3 big cons though - that you should know upfront.

1. Your fitness is locked to your phone. You switch phones and you lose your fitness history, and you start afresh.

2. No integration with Strava or any other fitness app.

3. Limited custom watch faces.

Having used the Huawei Watch GT for over an year now, sharing some feedback. Last time i reviewed, it had 3 major issues as quoted above. 1 is resolved, 1 is partly resolved and another remains open.

1. The big one - fitness data is no longer locked to the phone, you can create a Huawei account and your data gets synced on the server. Move to a new device and you do not begin with a fresh slate, your data is not lost. You just continue where you left. An easy but a big fix.

2. The official Huawei Health now supports multiple watch faces, though the ones on the official app are childish and simply worthless. Installing custom faces from elsewhere now is pretty easy though and requires some hacks. Of course, I would not do this on my primary phone, but I have an older phone which I use for this. A simple set of steps and I can now easily install custom watch faces. There are now thousands of third party faces to choose from e.g. http://hwgtfaces.com/ Not an ideal situation, but not too bad either.

3. Integration with 3rd party apps is still a problem. Within the app there is an option to integrate data with Google Fit, but don't think that works. I have not tried anyways, as I do not care much about it.

The positives listed then still hold good -

1. Incredible battery life - With continuous heart rate monitoring on, and 3 runs with GPS recorded last week, I charged today after 9 days with 16% battery still left. Amazed. Disclaimer - I have switched off notifications on my watch, i just do not like receiving SMS / Whatsapp / Phone notifications on my watch, just a personal preference, but something that helps with the battery life.

2. Step Tracking is accurate. Distance tracking with GPS is also quite accurate and matches my phone GPS tracking.

3. Sleep Tracking is supposedly very good, cannot measure how accurate it is though.

3. Continuous Heart Rate monitoring is good too. Helps me now even more as I am trying to run with a close eye on the heart rate.

4. The original watch strap still holds well. Plus got a few additional straps from Aliexpress for 2-4 USD, so good customization options.

5. Huawei keeps updating the app regularly, though most updates are bug fixes and not with any new features. But I am generally happy when the manufacturer provides regular bug fixes (this includes both the device firmware and the mobile app).

Its been close to 14 months with the Huawei Watch GT, so thought of providing a "long-term" ownership review. Sharing my latest watch face, pretty cool.

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_20200622_095333.jpg

Last edited by sachinayak : 22nd June 2020 at 09:55.
sachinayak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 02:06   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Picked up an Amazfit Bip S a few weeks ago and am quiet satisfied with what it delivers for the 4.5K price tag. My primary use case was a fitness tracker and not a smart watch.
I have ordered one, and would be getting it sometime this week. My primary objective is to record accurately my walk steps and track the same using 'Google Fit'.

How is the pedometer accuracy? Also, how easy it is to integrate with 'Google Fit' app.
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:37   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How is the pedometer accuracy? Also, how easy it is to integrate with 'Google Fit' app.
5-7% error rate when compared to my pedometer. Sync with Google fit is easy, using the amazfit app.
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:53   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Just bought the Huawei Watch GT 2e on Amazon.in - Build quality seems good - yet to explore the features. Will post more comments once I have used it for sometime. This is the lower priced variant of the GT2 released earlier. The GT2e skips the Bluetooth Speaker and the Microphone.
How is your GT 2e keeping up? Is it worth investing?

I have read reviews about syncing problems of huawei watches on regular android phones. You need honor / huawei phone if you using honor / huawei wearables?

Unless you have Huawei App Gallery, you cannot use Huawei health app, Is it true?
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:08   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is your GT 2e keeping up? Is it worth investing?

I have read reviews about syncing problems of huawei watches on regular android phones. You need honor / huawei phone if you using honor / huawei wearables?

Unless you have Huawei App Gallery, you cannot use Huawei health app, Is it true?
Happy with the GT2e so far. I have not faced any sync problems with Non Huawei phone. For reference I have the Redmi K20 Pro and I had to install the Huawei App Gallery but other than that everything else is smooth. It is true that App Gallery is a pre-requisite and needs to be installed.
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:54   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
It is true that App Gallery is a pre-requisite and needs to be installed.
That is a bit strange. I have the Huawei Watch GT and pair it without any issues on my Google Pixel 3A and Oneplus 3 (my secondary device). I have the Huawei Mobile Services and Huawei Health App. No app gallery installed from Huawei. Not sure if this is a recent development, but I did a factory reset a few months back and I setup my device then.
Old 27th June 2020, 23:03   #403
Senior - BHPian

Need some guidance please. I plan to buy a fitness band purely for my running and cycling routine. And may be use it at times at office to track steps etc. Pretty basic stuff. And I intend to mostly use it without my iPhone, since I dont really take my phone when I go running or cycling.

My wife has a Fitbit charge 2 and it serves most things that I need. But it seems quite big, I wasnt sure if I can use it as a band in one wrist while I use a regular G shock on the other.

I checked out the Fitbit inspire HR and in terms of features it has most things, but feels expensive for what it is, Im not an intensive fitness enthusiast, so a little apprehensive about investing on a gadget which I may not use that regularly.
On the other hand, when I read reviews about other smart bands such as Honor or Huwaei, they seem like a mixed bag, with a lot of reports on inaccuracy and malfunctioning etc. I have usually had a lot of bad luck with any gadget thats not an apple, so one hand I think its better that I spend the money and go for the Fitbit since it seems more reliable and the other hand the price of about 9k for the inspire HR is so close to other proper smart watches, like the fossil sport etc.

Any suggestion would be really helpful please.
Old 27th June 2020, 23:34   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Need some guidance please. I plan to buy a fitness band purely for my running and cycling routine. But it seems quite big, I wasnt sure if I can use it as a band in one wrist while I use a regular G shock on the other.

Any suggestion would be really helpful please.
If you use and like the G shock, why not get a G shock with smartwatch capability? If you can source one from US, this is a great option:

https://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/en/products/g-squad/
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 08:54   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If you use and like the G shock, why not get a G shock with smartwatch capability? If you can source one from US, this is a great option:

https://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/en/products/g-squad/

Thanks, but I have 4 G shocks already and to add a 5th one may be an overkill. And going by the G shock prices in India, Im sure this one will be close about 20k when they do launch it here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks