Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 21:57   #376
BHPian

Re: Basic SmartWatch?

Guys! Any thought on this? I am looking for a basic smartwatch which has good accuracy on 'Step Count' and HR. NOT interested in 'payment' capabilities.

Also, what is 'Strava' and how it is different than 'Google Fit'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any here with 'Fitbit Versa 2'? How does it compare against 'Amazfit GTS'?
Both are at the same price point and am looking at a basic fitness tracker which accurately records my daily step count and heart rate.

Please suggest!
Old 25th January 2020, 09:12   #377
BANNED

Am more than satisfied with [US$32.29 20% OFF]Bakeey C198S IPS Full Touch 8 Sports Mode Music Control Weather Blood Oxygen Monitor Smart Watch Smart Watch & Band from Mobile Phones & Accessories on banggood.com
https://banggood.app.link/oddaE7xHw3 for tracking HR, Sleep, steps @JMaruru .
Only drawback is it needs charging every other day
Old 26th January 2020, 18:46   #378
BHPian

Re: Basic SmartWatch?

Quote:
Guys! Any thought on this? I am looking for a basic smartwatch which has good accuracy on 'Step Count' and HR. NOT interested in 'payment' capabilities.

Also, what is 'Strava' and how it is different than 'Google Fit'?
Haven't used Fitbit products , but online reviews suggest that it counts steps even while travelling as well.

I had very good experience with Amazfit cor. Very accurate on step counts.
Old 27th January 2020, 11:40   #379
BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Anyone using/have used the Skagen Falster 2 smartwatch?

There is a great deal that reduces the price of this watch from 149 USD to just 69-70 USD plus taxes in the US of A.

Skagen Falster 2 at just 70 USD

This runs on WearOS and has a Snapdragon 2100 chip (a bit old but still relevant)

I am looking to buy this in case I find someone travelling from the US to BLR in the coming days.

Opinions on this watch is welcome.

Cheers
Old 8th February 2020, 12:08   #380
BHPian

Need your help Bhpians,
On the 1st anniversary of Fire at Hotel Arpit Palace-Delhi (12th Feb), we are planning to gift a smartwatch to dad on 1st birthday of his 2nd birth.

I have no experience in smart wearable devices and online reviews are not helping me either.

Age- 54, he has developed a Parkinson's disease.

Requirements-
- Heart Rate monitor (must)
- Blood Pressure monitor (must)
- Step counts (must)
- Blood O2 (must)
- It has to be a smartwatch, no band
- Durable

Connectivity features don't matter much and battery life of anything about 2 days would be fine.

Price range - upto 15k

Thanks in advance.

P.S - He was in room no-405 and survived, while his next room (403) colleague couldn't. If you are interested in knowing let me know, I will write about that incident.
JJay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 10:54   #381
Senior - BHPian

Just bought the Huawei Watch GT 2e on Amazon.in - Build quality seems good - yet to explore the features. Will post more comments once I have used it for sometime. This is the lower priced variant of the GT2 released earlier. The GT2e skips the Bluetooth Speaker and the Microphone.

Here is a quick unbox of the watch:
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 14:27   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Will post more comments once I have used it for sometime.
Looking forward for your review. Have been searching for one for the past few days. Let me also know if you had shortlisted any other models (slightly cheaper - ~6-8K) in the process of searching for one.

I liked the blue tooth head set model of this one too. (priced at ~14K)
Old 1st June 2020, 14:46   #383
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Need your help Bhpians,
On the 1st anniversary of Fire at Hotel Arpit Palace-Delhi (12th Feb), we are planning to gift a smartwatch to dad on 1st birthday of his 2nd birth.
P.S - He was in room no-405 and survived, while his next room (403) colleague couldn't. If you are interested in knowing let me know, I will write about that incident.
Glad to know your father survived that accident and here's wishing him a full, speedy recovery.
What device did you finally get for him ?

If/when you find time do try to share more about the scary experience your dad went through.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:12   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Huawei Watch GT 2e
Good buy. Looking forward to your detailed review. Can you quickly share an update on GPS locking? how long does it take to get a lock? Is it effective in constrained spaces like the open area of an apartment?
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:05   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Used a couple of smart bands over the last few weeks and returned them. posting feedback based on 1 week of usage:

Honor Band 5 - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07WQX8JL4/
Pros:
  • Amazing display
  • Works well when used in combination with a phone - both in terms of accuracy of step tracking as well as relative accuracy of HR monitoring. No unnecessary blips and troughs.
  • Really like the breakdown of sleep tracking provided by the app
  • Easy to use UI on the band as well as the App
  • Decent battery life

Cons:
  • Very inaccurate steps and distance tracking when not paired with a phone
  • Latest version of HMS core app not available on Google Play, need to side load

Overall: Would rate it 3.5/5 as this would work well for anyone who is looking for a band that works well along with their mobile. Its got all the necessary features + a really good display as well. Good app that provides detailed breakdowns, including sleep patterns.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of the above inaccuracy in tracking decided to pick up a device with GPS. Zeroed in on a Renewed Amazfit Bip after looking at reviews.

Amazfit Bip - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07CLM7PYJ/
Pros:
  • Battery life - will easily last 3+ weeks as I only managed to use up 30% in a week. This is after HR monitoring is set at 1 min and always on display was on
  • Display is very good and the few watch faces that are available were enough for me
  • Size - Extremely light and just about perfect size to wear 24*7. Band is also standard 20mm band that is pretty easy on the skin
  • Accurate - very accurate distance tracking (compared to a pedometer) and HR monitoring also seems decent as it was able to track a couple of HIIT sessions with HR hitting 170 bpm.
  • Used the amazfit app (also pairs with Mi fit app, which I personally dont like much) and its pretty easy to use. Does have problems when you try to sync with google fit, need to clear cache and then open apps for sync.

Cons:
  • GPS - take a very long time to get a lock and also doesn't work in our urban jungles with tall buildings. Needs quiet a bit of open space for it to get a lock.
  • Without a GPS lock, you cant track a walk/run - which was the deal breaker for me
  • Does tend to add a few additional steps when driving in a car/bike - but its not a big deal as its only a 100-150 odd that gets added.

Overall: Would rate it 4/5 as this works well as a basic smartwatch and fitness tracker. If all you want is accurate step tracking, decent display, basic level of on screen notifications and long battery life, this is definitely a great buy. A couple of my firends have been using this for the last 12+ months and are very happy with the value it delivers, given the sub 5k price for a new one.
procrj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:58   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Ah, this seems to fit in the budget that I am looking for. The link takes to a refurbished model one. Not sure whether you intended that, but I am looking at its new one, priced at around 5400/-. Let me dig a little more into the details and will go with it mostly.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:00   #387
Team-BHP Support

On fitness tracker:

While there are a lot many in the market, question is how serious one is to actually use them and make alterations to his/her own lifestyle based on the inputs received.

There reason I say this is because we all love to buy gadgets. Fitness bands are available at all budgets. So one would be tempted to buy just because its available.

But what is more important is if you get hooked to this one gadget (given it comes under a health accessory) and one should take importance to the stats it provides. The accuracy of such numbers (or at least the trend) then becomes quite important and hence it circles back to the choice of tracker/band.

To summarise if you plan to buy one, at least get some thing which has a base level accuracy established and provides stats which you can trust.

Smart watches: Well sky is the limit to desire!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd June 2020 at 09:07. Reason: Corrected typo.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 02:03   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
To summarise if you plan to buy one, at least get some thing which has a base level accuracy established and provides stats which you can trust.
Please suggest models/brands which meet the said criteria.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:31   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please suggest models/brands which meet the said criteria.
Based on what I have been reading (and using), I usually have seen Fitbit and Garmin coming pretty good with Heart Rate and steps assessment/location accuracy (during walk/run).

(Again that does not mean others are not good. Just my experience).
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 10:56   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The link takes to a refurbished model one
I did buy the refurbished one as it seemed better VFM. If you havent ordered yet, would suggest you check out the Amazfit Bip S, which is now available on amazon and flipkart. Reviews suggest that its better than the Bip on all aspects, including the new sony gps chip which is faster and more accurate.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed