Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2019, 15:39   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Very nicely summarised! My observations more or less are on the same lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I have been using a TomTom watch for more than an year now. I was looking for a running watch with GPS and wrist-based HR monitoring and got a very good deal on the watch. Then I realised that it has 24/7 HR monitoring, sleep and steps tracking. It's looks pretty ordinary, but that didn't stop me from swapping my Citizen Ecodrive out in favour of the TomTom.
I just loved my Ecodrives and the Casio Pathfinder. But gave up after I found all the data and stats which I could gather from these gadgets. But since I love the face of a watch, a band was no-no for me. Ended with the Garmin. I dont like any distraction of mobile notification showing up on the watch. Hence I disabled all such items and thus its a good watch with fitness tracking for me.

Quote:
Coming to the daily tracking, I have set a goal of 1 hour of active time per day. I do check the watch to see how I am doing, and it is satisfying to see when the goal is reached. I don't reach the goal everyday, but given that I run 4 or 5 times a week, it's pretty easy for me to exceed the 7h goal for any given week.
Good point on active time / intensity minutes. I remember even Mayank Jha mentioned about it. I have not been looking at it. Because just like you said, if hit the running track 4-5 days a week + the walking one does will cover up for every thing.

Quote:
The watch offers pretty basic sleep tracking - just the number of hours slept - and no further insight. I rarely check this. I rely on my energy/tiredness levels to make sure I am getting enough sleep. There's one more reason why I don't check sleep data, and it is because it is often wrong (more on that below).
I never followed sleep tracking either. Because been averse to the idea wearing a gadget while sleeping.

Quote:
I have 24/7 HR monitoring ON, but again this is not something I check all the time. I do check it once a week or so to see if the average resting HR shows any significant variation. My average resting HR is normally pretty low. I think this fools the watch into thinking I am asleep even when I am fully awake but not moving much (binge-watching Netflix for eg, or even working sitting at my desk in office). This is another reason why I don't pay much attention to the sleep data.
RHR or Resting heart is a very good indicator. So not on a daily basis, but weekly summary of the RHR is very good data point to monitor. For athletes its very-very low. But for mere mortals its not that low. However it surely is in their interest to bring it down.

I dont track any other stats. But for all the running I do, I import those details separately and process them on my own. Items like paces, HR distribution, variation of HR with every lap over time etc. Gives a better idea of how the endurance has built-up over time. I keep thinking of adding new metrics just for fun. Anyway all it takes is and addition of a stats routine into the current analytics !

Quote:
I am looking to upgrade and will surely go for a watch and not a band and definitely something that looks a bit better. The only thing that has prevented me from upgrading is that the TomTom performs the basic running watch functions really well - apart from GPS and wrist-based HR, it also supports downloading custom workouts, downloading custom routes and supports basic breadcrumb-style "following the route".
Again similar thoughts. Most of the athlete watches are very expensive propositions. But there are some in the 200-300$ range which are nice runner's watches or a basis mix of sports watch with formal faces. But have not seen anyone other than Garmin come up with such product lines. Will be good to see options in the market!
Old 7th October 2019, 15:40   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
There is a -ve in Honor band 5. The step count in app showing is the sum of steps counted in device/watch/band + steps counted by your connected mobile. There is no workaround for this I think.
Positive is the Honor health app. This is far better than mi fit app.
Well this is still manageable by doubling your step count goal in the app. Usually when ever your band syncs up with mobile it will show step count in band + step count in mobile. Roughly they would be same with +/- 10% difference.

So you can assume that actual step count would be around 50% of what is recorded. But the bigger issue is tracking outdoor cycling stats. There is no way unless you have a Huawei or Honor phone. This one single issue ticked off Band 5 for me. So it will be a Mi 4 as there doesn't seem to be any other contender in the price range.

In case I have a good case to continue with a health tracker then I will look at a full fledged smart watch or next gen Fitbit trackers hopefully with color display.

Unfortunately there isn't a good watch with Wear OS worth our hard earned money something similar to Apple Watch which is an integral part of iOS ecosystem. The ones available with Wear OS are too costly and strictly average as fitness trackers. The smart functions are great with Wear OS but battery life sucks and fitness tracking isn't top notch.
Old 7th October 2019, 18:34   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont track any other stats. But for all the running I do, I import those details separately and process them on my own.
Stats is an area the TomTom is weak at and there is no hope of it getting better as the company has exited the wearables market. When I do eventually upgrade, it will be more for the running metrics than the looks.

Quote:
But there are some in the 200-300$ range which are nice runner's watches or a basis mix of sports watch with formal faces. But have not seen anyone other than Garmin come up with such product lines. Will be good to see options in the market!
I have my eye on the Garmin Forerunner 245. Among the others, I believe Polar, Suunto and Coros do offer the facility to change watch faces.

Garmin Forerunner 235 is also pretty good, with the ability to change watch faces. We picked up one for my wife at a huge discount about 6 months back. She uses it just for fitness tracking. Only reason I didn't pick one for myself at that time is that it lacks the ability to follow a custom route, which the humble TomTom provides.
Old 7th October 2019, 19:05   #319
BHPian

Quote:
I see so much discussion on the accuracy of the steps, sleep, heart rate etc.

Just curious how sincerely folks follow these details? Do you folks keep looking at periodic stats? Do you follow and take corrective actions based on the same?

Also another thing I noticed is that: Bands are slowly taking over the watches. How far is this true?

Folks who invest in bands: Have you been using watches prior? If no then its a moot point simply because anything you prefer is subject to the first assertion which I proposed.

Starting off, I wear a FitBit Charge HR2 along with a watch, daily.
Ok, let me take a poke at this.
1. ...how sincerely folks follow these details? Do you folks keep looking at periodic stats? Do you follow and take corrective actions based on the same?
Pretty regularly and religiously. I check my sleep hours every week and the calories burnt and the steps taken. For weeks, where the calories burnt is less, I either cut down on junk carbs (which is mostly biscuits) or sugar in my chai/ coffee.

2. Bands are slowly taking over the watches. How far is this true?
Depends on person to person. Wife wears a Fitbit Versa and has mostly given up on watches on a day to day basis. For executive/ business management meetings she wears a formal watch. I, OTOH, still wear watches and wouldn't give up one anytime soon. Among friends, most still wear watches. Only a few fitness enthusiastic people wear bands/ fitness watches.

3. Folks who invest in bands: Have you been using watches prior?
Yes and I still do. My daily driver is a G-Shock or a Tommy one. Have a Fossil and a Longines as well. Might add a Tissot in future (have my eyes on one). I prefer bands for they don't have to be charged on a daily basis, compared to smart watches (I'm looking at you Apple Watch). My Charge HR2 needs once a week charge (which I detest too). MI has some bands which last a month!

Yes some people do comment that you are wearing 2 watches, etcetera, but I don't mind. I am, in a way, but I care more about my fitness.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 7th October 2019 at 19:05. Reason: spacing
Old 7th October 2019, 19:58   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I see so much discussion on the accuracy of the steps, sleep, heart rate etc.

Just curious how sincerely folks follow these details? Do you folks keep looking at periodic stats? Do you follow and take corrective actions based on the same?
RHR is the most important parameter that I track on a daily basis. When RHR starts to rise steadily, that is a clear indication of over training or lack of enough recovery or sleep. I then make adjustments to my workout schedule to reduce the RHR, add some extra sleep and bring it back to the normal range.

For example, I have been doing a strict Keto the past two weeks. Last week, I did a long HIIT session (not a good idea in the initial fat adaptation phase). My RHR shot up by 10 beats in just a day. I switched to just Yoga the rest of the week. This week it is back to normal and I have started introducing some cardio, but with caution. Being in my mid forties, I find this data very useful to remain safe.

RHR also gets affected during travel when my diet gets messed up. I then add some extended IF to fix this.
Old 7th October 2019, 20:07   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I prefer bands for they don't have to be charged on a daily basis, compared to smart watches (I'm looking at you Apple Watch). My Charge HR2 needs once a week charge (which I detest too). MI has some bands which last a month!
You will be more than happy to have a Moov Now in this case

Check this out: https://store.moov.cc/products/moov-now

Note: Not associated with the product/brand in any way. Just sharing for the features that it offers.
Old 7th October 2019, 20:24   #322
BHPian

I am looking to replace my Mi Band 2 which I am using for almost 2 years. It still works very well but just have got bored of it. Not very particular about the accuracy of steps or sleep monitoring. Mi Band 4 would be the natural update but availability is an issue due to the flash sales. Any other recommendations? Budget would be up-to 3000. Thank you.
Old 7th October 2019, 20:34   #323
BHPian

Anyone here using Fossil Gen5? I am mostly interested in having notifications on my watch.
Old 7th October 2019, 20:45   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Not very particular about the accuracy of steps or sleep monitoring.
So then, what do you need these 'bands' for?
Old 7th October 2019, 21:09   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
So then, what do you need these 'bands' for?
I follow the number of steps I have taken. But I am not very finicky about a few hundred steps here and there. And the vibrating alarm function is very useful for me. So that I can wake up without waking my wife/children (I keep snoozing the alarm a few times before I wake up ).
Old 8th October 2019, 02:57   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Garmin Forerunner 235 is also pretty good, with the ability to change watch faces. We picked up one for my wife at a huge discount about 6 months back. She uses it just for fitness tracking. Only reason I didn't pick one for myself at that time is that it lacks the ability to follow a custom route, which the humble TomTom provides.
I dont follow that heavy on open running because of constraints but do look at the stats based on indoor running! Lets see what new updates Garmin has to offer. Vivoactive4 got announced recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Starting off, I wear a FitBit Charge HR2 along with a watch, daily.
Thats surprising! Mostly expected people to wear either this or that. But sure Not both !

Quote:
Pretty regularly and religiously. I check my sleep hours every week and the calories burnt and the steps taken. For weeks, where the calories burnt is less, I either cut down on junk carbs (which is mostly biscuits) or sugar in my chai/ coffee.
If you can take a rearguard action great! Like I mentioned earlier, I dont track sleep.

Quote:
Depends on person to person. Wife wears a Fitbit Versa and has mostly given up on watches on a day to day basis. For executive/ business management meetings she wears a formal watch. I, OTOH, still wear watches and wouldn't give up one anytime soon. Among friends, most still wear watches. Only a few fitness enthusiastic people wear bands/ fitness watches.
Thats the main problem. Need somthing common. Because you need to track some items through the day and hence cant keep changing them.

Quote:
Yes and I still do. My daily driver is a G-Shock or a Tommy one. Have a Fossil and a Longines as well. Might add a Tissot in future (have my eyes on one). I prefer bands for they don't have to be charged on a daily basis, compared to smart watches (I'm looking at you Apple Watch).
I have been fighting that battle internally ever since I started with the Garmin.

Quote:
Yes some people do comment that you are wearing 2 watches, etcetera, but I don't mind. I am, in a way, but I care more about my fitness.
Well said! Even I was thinking chuckling to myself when I read about two watches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
RHR is the most important parameter that I track on a daily basis. When RHR starts to rise steadily, that is a clear indication of over training or lack of enough recovery or sleep. I then make adjustments to my workout schedule to reduce the RHR, add some extra sleep and bring it back to the normal range.
Till date I have only monitored. But have not taken any correction/preventive action based on that data. Need to re-look!

Quote:
For example, I have been doing a strict Keto the past two weeks.
Being in my mid forties, I find this data very useful to remain safe.
Well said! Need to pay more attention on the feedback based on this data point. For many it may not come naturally. They need to get conditioned to look at it.

Quote:
RHR also gets affected during travel when my diet gets messed up. I then add some extended IF to fix this.
Why RHR, every thing gets messed up!
Old 8th October 2019, 03:35   #327
Senior - BHPian

Guys, recently got an apple Watch 1 and an iPhone X. Both have the fitness apps installed and was wondering if anybody has tips on ways to use it and the accuracy of data like calories burnt, steps taken etc. I know it also has a heart rate monitor inbuilt into the watch, so kinda hoping this will give me accurate data and be able to push me to work out harder
Old 8th October 2019, 06:57   #328
BHPian

Re: Simple SmartWatch?

Is there a Smartwatch which provides step/run GPS stats, RHR with clock dial face?

I do NOT need sleep stats, music, 'contact less' payment or any other features.

Please advise!
Old 8th October 2019, 07:05   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there a Smartwatch which provides step/run GPS stats, RHR with clock dial face?

I do NOT need sleep stats, music, 'contact less' payment or any other features.

Please advise!
There are many smartwatches that provide these data - many watches in the Amazfit series, Garmin vivoactive series etc. You can choose based on your budget.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:24   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you prefer traditional looks with fitness tracking features, Withings Steel HR Sport may be of interest to you. It doesn't have GPS, but you can connect it to your phone GPS to track your runs.

Last edited by StarrySky : 8th October 2019 at 11:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks