Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2016, 14:27   #166
BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lHarpreetl View Post
IMO 38mm would be suitable. Plus I would always go ahead with rose gold for my lady any time than silver . Attaching a picture from google to see the difference, it's not a huge difference however it's visible. Make your choice.

Source Google Images
Couldn't be more helpful! The rose gold it is! Thanks! In half a mind to keep the silver for myself but already have a first gen Moto 360 and dont see a reason to really change.
Old 16th January 2017, 03:43   #167
Senior - BHPian

anybody here bought/considered Fossil Q Nate Hybrid Smartwatch?
I've been on the fence for long and pushed the decision to buy a Smartwatch till something sensible came along. This for me was a Mechanical Watch with 'Smart'ness added. No touchscreen business.

Withings Activete did come very close featurewise but not cost. the Fossil Q Nate has the right appeal factor from both form and function aspects.
any input would be great.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 16th January 2017 at 03:45.
Old 16th January 2017, 08:22   #168
Senior - BHPian

Was never into Smart watches, but made an impromptu purchase.

Series2 42mm Aluminium; haven't explored it much yet, but the battery lasts 2-3 days with my usage.
More details as I explore it
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1484535071.537986.jpg
Old 16th January 2017, 08:34   #169
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Fitbit Charge 2 since mid December. Got it from the US and its priced absurdly over here.

The band works well, is comfortable to wear and has certainly doubled/ tripled my daily activity. More than the the device, it is the app which is class leading. The sleep tracker is insane!

A bunch of my colleagues also joined the club afterwards and now we have a very active group which helps to get out of the bed or chair for a walk.
Old 16th January 2017, 10:25   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Am about to change my Moto360 Gen1 battery this week. Got the replacement from the US for 15$ but it seems it has to be a DIY as none in india have any experience in this. Also it seems the IP rating gets destroyed.

Does anyone have any inputs?
Old 12th February 2017, 08:24   #171
BHPian

Any users of the Huawei watch in here?
Old 4th April 2017, 23:12   #172
BHPian

It is one year since I bought the Alcatel one touch smart watch. I wanted to try out a smartwatch but was not keen to spend too much on it. So the Alcatel one touch watch at around 5400(post discount) in Flipkart sounded just fine for me. I have been impressed by this watch and found it great value for money. I need to download Alcatel's "MOVE" app from ios/playstore. Pairing is easy and seamless. Charging is fast, 100% charge in 45 mins and battery lasts for about two and half days for me.
Simple neat looks
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4717.jpg
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4718.jpg

USB charger included in the strap itself. Very convenient as I dont have to carry any additional cable
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4720.jpg

It has the usual fitness bundle - Pedometer, calorie count, distance measurement, lap timer, stop watch, Pulse rate sensor, compass. There is a sleep timer too!
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4721.jpg
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4722-2.jpg
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4723.jpg
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4724.jpg
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4725.jpg

It has a limited range of watch faces available on the app. Notifications are limited to messages and calls. I can reject or accept calls but cannot reply to messages. I can only read them. It doesnt sync other app notifications. I actually find it advantageous as it doesnt beep often. It can tell the phone to play music, control phone camera and also has a phone finder.
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4728.jpg
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4731.jpg
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_4732.jpg

It does have some negatives too.
The touch sensitivity is not as good as the apple watch.
The watch display comes on when I turn the wrist towards me, but the amount of turn required is more than the apple watch, so I often have to really twist the wrist to see the time.
The strap is not very flexible and stands a bit rigid. It has a metal clip which can cause a bit of discomfort at times. Lastly I have no idea of the service, spare strap availability etc.
I have recently been gifted an Apple watch, but still tend to prefer the Alcatel as I find it more convenient to charge and use on a day to day basis. Not to forget the tremendous value for money.
Now I find it retailing for 7000 in flipkart and about 20000 in Amazon which makes my price of 5400 a steal!!
Old 7th October 2017, 17:43   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Some truly great deals on Amazon for Fossil smart watches. In some cases, they are lower than even discounted US prices:
https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=sr_st_po...opularity-rank
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:05   #174
BHPian

Hi all,

So how is the current scenario of smart wearables? Google browsing shows that Smart band is getting heavy competition from smart watch as most of the features in fitness band is now available in smart watches, and a few features of Smart watch has been taken by smart bands.
Smart band gives better battery against a smart watch, but smart watch can be used as a proper watch, which can be used as official wear.
I saw Samsung fit fear 2/pro which can be considered as a hybrid between smart watch and smart band, but battery life is bad and similar to smartwatch.
So is there any product in a price range of 10~15k which provides the best of both worlds.
Old 23rd December 2017, 10:34   #175

Hi All,

Bought myself a fitbit charge2. Charge 2 was priced at approximately 7K here in Australia. The watch has a battery life of 5 to 6 days. Key features that this tracker helps me is as follows:

1) To track the amount of sleep i get (seems reasonably accurate). Given me awareness on how much i sleep and forced me to sleep longer when i have not got enough rest.
2) Counts the number of steps i take, i try and ensure that i have walked a minimum of 10,000 steps every day. This again has ensured that i get the minimum amount of exercise regularly.
3) Silent alarm option. This prevents me from keeping the phone in my room now.
4) Since the phone is connected to the tracker I get call / text notifications on the tracker. Hence i don't have to keep the phone close to me all the time and usually don't miss any calls.

You have a whole lot of other features / apps which work with the charge2, have not used them yet. Will update additional features if i find any.

Cheers.
Old 5th March 2018, 02:26   #176
Senior - BHPian

Team,

Any suggestions on the latest fitness bands in the market? I'm looking to buy one with decent battery life for my sleep tracking (prefer a device with all-day tracking, unlike Mi which only logs night sleep).

My options are:
a. Huawei Band 2:
https://www.amazon.in/Huawei-ERS-B19...dp/B0759RY15Y/
I'm considering the Pro because then I have the option of tracking walks without needing to carry my phone along even in inclement weather.
The price is very reasonable - 3800 for the non GPS, 5500 for the GPS version.
b. Boltt Beat HR:
https://www.amazon.in/Boltt-Fitness-...dp/B073V137FD/

This has much less battery life, only ~3 days, but it costs much lesser as well.

Both have OK interface, unlike the amazing interface of Jawbone.
Old 5th March 2018, 07:30   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Any suggestions on the latest fitness bands in the market? I'm looking to buy one with decent battery life for my sleep tracking (prefer a device with all-day tracking, unlike Mi which only logs night sleep).
Will go against the tide to ask you this:
If one needs a device to track one's sleep, does it mean its already at a lower level?

I totally understand its good statistics and will provide good insights, but I still wonder if we still need those stats. Logging a work out is definitely good. I myself was looking at some kind of a band a few weeks back and then gave-up (Had decided on a Garmin Vivosport). Of course my needs would be a different than yours. I just want a simple run or walk to be logged. So a mobile app works for me.

No wanting to stir our a for vs against debate, but still wondering at its core needs.

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2018 at 07:25. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 15th March 2018, 00:23   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Will go against the tide to ask you this:
If one needs a device to track one's sleep, does it mean its already at a lower level?

I totally understand its good statistics and will provide good insights, but I still wonder if we still need those stats. Logging a work out is definitely good. I myself was looking at some kind of a band a few weeks back and then gave-up (Had decided on a Garmin Vivosport). Of course my needs would be a different than yours. I just want a simple run or walk to be logged. So a mobile app works for me.

No wanting to stir our a for vs against debate, but still wondering at its core needs.
Agreed. It is useful for folks like me who obsess about such details and would like to be aware of precisely how my body ages esp since good sleep helps set the tone for the next day!

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2018 at 07:26. Reason: fixed typo in quoted post
Old 15th March 2018, 00:47   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
It is one year since I bought the Alcatel one touch smart watch.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Similarly, I was curious about smartwatches and so in early 2016 I got a Pebble Steel, drawn in by its simplicity, retro looks (I got a metal band) and long battery life. It did about the same as your watch in terms of limited functionality, and I think I really enjoyed having a smartwatch to that extent.

Through some discounts with my employers perks program, I found a good deal on a Samsung Gear S2 and went for it, thinking I'll the better interface, vastly greater functionality and more contemporary looks - but I was mistaken. Everything take a couple of taps extra on the S2 and it's an effort to charge it more frequently as well. As such, I've terribly underutilized the S2 and find myself using the Pebble way more often. Wondering if the full extent of functions offered by smartwatches is something I value - and holding off on any further purchases until then.
Old 17th March 2018, 09:17   #180
Senior - BHPian

Here's where I am, currently.

I finally got the Band 2. It is indeed as premium as the reviews indicate, as opposed to the Mi Band 2 which is nice looking but very simple.

That said, the software is terrible. I come to this from Jawbone UP4 (Don't buy their products even at 90% discount) which self destructed in 6 months despite some 10+ repairs to the strap.

Jawbone has the most awesome software. This is simply functional. Some brain dead charts and some data. But the device is otherwise nice and super responsive. Glance to switch on , instant HR etc work just fine. Notifications are iffy though. The damn band kept vibrating through a couple of calls last night. It will make me go mad on one of my 2-3 hour long conference calls. Happy to take any questions.

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img20180317wa0017.jpeg

Most Viewed