Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 09:59   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-img_20201013_092322__01.jpg
Anniversary gifting requires a return gift too, so that became Garmin Forerunner 45 for the wife. Now I feel T-Rex is like an old TV on my wrist

Although it was a last minute, hasty decision; the quality, weight, functions and overall look on the wrist is another level. Emergency call option is something that attracted me in picking it up. I found couple of reviews mentioning it as dialing emergency contact number on its own (provided phone is on the body).

Except the lack of touchscreen, but 5 physical buttons on the sides, its a perfect runner's watch by all means. The sleekest I have seen till date
shajufx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 11:57   #452
Team-BHP Support

Not much aware about present day options, can someone recommend anything from here

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/c104...dProducts-desc

Usage- regular walk only.
Old 13th October 2020, 12:37   #453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Not much aware about present day options, can someone recommend anything from here
If its regular walk, a good Vivoactive 4 is decent. If you have the cash, get Fenix 5/6 series. if you are into running, Forerunner 245 is good to start. Or if you are big time into triathlons and all, Forerunner 935.

Simply if you like a good watch and you have the cash, buy the Fenix series! Awesome to wear.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:31   #454
BHPian

I too am looking into jumping into smatwatch bandwagon. No idea which to buy, so planning to go for some budget models

My requirements are
1. GPS - should be able to capture while riding motorcycle.
2. Should work with GPS for more than 15 hours without charging and data should be available.
3. Cheaper the better.
4. Basic functionalities like calories, step count etc
5. Good to have heart/Spo2 etc

Looked into the various models like:
Amazfit Huami Bip
Amazfit GTS
Amazfit T-Rex
Noise ColorFit NAV Smart Watch

Any suggestions?
Old 13th October 2020, 15:52   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
My requirements are
2. Should work with GPS for more than 15 hours without charging and data should be available.
3. Cheaper the better.

Looked into the various models like:
Amazfit Huami Bip
Amazfit GTS
Amazfit T-Rex
Noise ColorFit NAV Smart Watch

Any suggestions?
Kozhissery, as the budget decreases the accuracy of the sensors also decreases. So I won't be very confident about the heart rate/ spo2 readings. If it is for basic step counting, then go for mi band 4 which costs you 2.5 k only.
In fact, for basic step counting and distance, you can even use the Google fit app in an android phone.

Coming to GPS for more than 15 hours without having to recharge. I feel that's a tall ask from any of the models listed by you. On paper they may claim that but I sure GPS tracked activity will drain any battery in 8-10 hours.

If you are adamant on 15 hour GPS tracking you need solar charging watches. Casio GBD H1000 or Garmin Fenix 6 solar are good options as they will charge the battery using solar power when you are outdoors. But these are not budget watches.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:02   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Usage- regular walk only.
Why dont you use the Google Fit app? Try it and see it fits your requirements.

I use it for stair climbing. The actual stairs, not a machine. A floor is 3 flights of steps: 8 + 1 + 8. And the app shows 21 - 22 steps where it should be 18. One floor up, one down is 36 steps, it shows 43 - 45. I can live with that because I know the error margin.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th October 2020 at 19:18. Reason: Typos.
Old 14th October 2020, 09:58   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Kozhissery, as the budget decreases the accuracy of the sensors also decreases. So I won't be very confident about the heart rate/ spo2 readings. If it is for basic step counting, then go for mi band 4 which costs you 2.5 k only. In fact, for basic step counting and distance, you can even use the Google fit app in an android phone.
I had a GPS logger which used to use just 1 AA battery and would last for a day at-least. As that has gone kaput, I tried using mobile for logging but it runs out of juice pretty fast and if it rains have to keep in the bag. So was looking for a watch kind of thing which can be used in any condition. Seeing so many ads I thought of switching to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
If you are adamant on 15 hour GPS tracking you need solar charging watches. Casio GBD H1000 or Garmin Fenix 6 solar
Way above my current budget.
Old 14th October 2020, 13:50   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Anniversary gifting requires a return gift too, so that became Garmin Forerunner 45 for the wife.....
Surprises never stop. My sister has send me a Garmin Forerunner 45, now we are with 2 Forerunner 45 watches and a T-Rex. I am going to list the T-Rex for sale as the return window is closed by Amazon (7days). Anyone is looking at T-Rex, I can just give you for whatever price you quote, its just a week old, used once for a morning walk.

Quote:
Amazfit T-Rex
If you have made up your mind on this, and ok to take a week old one, message me personally, we will work out a special deal. Planning to list it on OLX or Amazon this week
Old 15th October 2020, 12:51   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am looking into jumping into smatwatch bandwagon. No idea which to buy, so planning to go for some budget models

My requirements are
3. Cheaper the better.

Any suggestions?
Check out the upcoming Amazfit Bip U. It has most features you require at Rs 3499 (launch offer 16 Oct). Price will increase to 5999 once offer ends.

- GPS
- SpO2 monitor
- Sleep tracking
- 24/7 heart rate monitor
- 50m water resistant
- 60+ sports mode
- calls and message notifications
- upto 9 days battery life
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 10:54   #460
BHPian

I am looking for a smartwatch with eSim functionality. Don't care for the health stuff, only interested in calls & notifications. I've read about Samsung & Fossil, also the ones with WearOS. Samsung came up on top, but, only supports LTE when used with a Samsung phone.

My phone is an Asus ROG 3.
Old 16th October 2020, 22:45   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
- GPS
The GPS part is bit misguiding advertising as it uses mobile GPS for recording any activity. Means every time you will have to keep the phone with you for any sporting activity which may require GPS. The not yet launched BIP U pro will have GPS feature installed in the watch itself.
roamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 17:10   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If you have made up your mind on this, and ok to take a week old one, message me personally, we will work out a special deal. Planning to list it on OLX or Amazon this week
Hello, if it is not too much of a trouble for you to courier the watch to Pune and if it is still available, I might be interested. Please Dm me and we can take it forward .
Old 19th October 2020, 17:17   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Hello, if it is not too much of a trouble for you to courier the watch to Pune and if it is still available, I might be interested. Please Dm me and we can take it forward .
Thanks, it's gone to the new owner
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:43   #464
BHPian

Reviewer in this article claims that you can answer calls on a Samsung Watch 3 when paired with a One Plus. I thought LTE only worked when paired with a Samsung phone. Can someone confirm this please.
Old 3rd November 2020, 00:08   #465
BANNED

The Fitbit Thread.

These days many new smartwatches have been launched that just makes one's life much easier. All you have to do is connect your phone to the watch via Bluetooth and you are good for the day. Fitbits in particular have been my most favorite since a long time and I would like to dedicate this smartwatches topic to it.
Largely Fitbit offers two GPS technologies, a connected GPS option in budget watches and an in-built GPS system in its top models.

I will further elaborate on these technologies.

Connected GPS -

What this basically does is that it uses the GPS of your phone to track your location, very useful if you want to see a pictorial representation of your jogging or cycling map. The second plus point is that this connected GPS technology is a whole lot cheaper (by around 6-7k).
With its strengths comes its weaknesses. It would be unsafe to carry your phone while jogging as it may fall from your hands or occasionally from your pockets. And there is no point of a smartwatch when you will have to carry your phone at the end of the day

Fitbits that offer connected GPS are - Charge 2 and 3, Versa, Versa lite and Versa 2. Fitbit Flex, Inspire, Alta and Blaze are some other that offer connected GPS.

In-built GPS -

In this, you are not required to carry your phone as the smartwatch has a GPS chip inside it that allows real time location and GPS. You simply are required to press the "Allow GPS" option on your smartwatch and off you go for an enjoyable run without having a thought of carrying the phone at the back of your mind. As per me, this is very convenient. The downside of this is its exorbitant price. It demands a hefty premium over its connected GPS counter-part.

The Surge, Sense, Ionic, Versa 3 and Charge 4 are some of the smartwatches that offer you this luxury.

My dilemma -

I earlier owned a Surge which had in-built GPS and it made my life much easier I didn't need to carry my phone everywhere. It suffered a lot of wear and finally died out after a year and a half of vigorous usage. Apparently the screen had gone blank and I was told by the service guy that there was moisture inside the watch and somehow it could be fixed. (I thought that surge was waterproof. ). Anyways, I had to think of a replacement when I came across two options - A connected GPS Versa (13k) and an in-built GPS Ionic (19k).

Conclusion -

I still am in a soup as I am not able to decide whether the premium that the Ionic commands for its in-built GPS is worth or not. I request Team-BHP members to tip in and help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Tachyonites.
Tachyonites is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks