Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:53   #9106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How much did he pay for it?
What kind of free additional warranty & other benefits?
Samsung UA43N5010ARXXL is priced at 28k, get 2k instant discount on sbi, 12 months or maybe 9 months free EMI. The fire tv stick has to be added to cart and checked out together. Final price with EMI was 26k, but if. You take into consideration EMI interest waiver it worked out to ~24. 5k.
Got free one year extended warranty.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:22   #9107
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Are there any non-smart 4K TV's. I do not need any thing but Tata Sky to run. If non Android is cheaper and as good I would prefer that.

Any experience with VU 55 inch 4K pixelight TV (55BPX). This is a Linux based TV and meets all my requirements.
It seems that the 55 inch has two versions BPX and QVD. All review are for QVD and none for BPX.

Last edited by Aroy : 2nd October 2019 at 10:29.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:27   #9108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Samsung UA43N5010ARXXL is priced at 28k, get 2k instant discount on sbi, 12 months or maybe 9 months free EMI. The fire tv stick has to be added to cart and checked out together. Final price with EMI was 26k, but if. You take into consideration EMI interest waiver it worked out to ~24. 5k.
Got free one year extended warranty.
Seems to be an excellent buy!
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:33   #9109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Are there any non-smart 4K TV's. I do not need any thing but Tata Sky to run.
I see a few models on Amazon but they seem to be older from 2016/17/18 years. They seem pricier too. On Amazon set department to 'standard televisions' and then sort by price high to low.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:56   #9110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any experience with VU 55 inch 4K pixelight TV (55BPX). This is a Linux based TV and meets all my requirements.
It seems that the 55 inch has two versions BPX and QVD. All review are for QVD and none for BPX.
I am also considering it. The drawbacks

- no bluetooth connectivity
- not compatible with a 5 Ghz wifi router
- loses out on voice search.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd October 2019 at 11:02.
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:43   #9111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbaz906 View Post
Got back today after a marathon TV demo run at 3 different stores.
Plus this was in the official brochure.
Awesome, brother. Please update regarding Hotstar when you receive the TV.
I have a Sony Android TV so do not have any problem with the streaming apps.
Want to buy a Samsung next and if Hotstar works for you, will keep Samsung as a consideration.
What warranty have they offered you - one year manufacturer and additional you can buy 2 years or 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Please check Frame QLED series which is available for insane 75 K at Flipkart.
It has a 10 year warranty on panel.
Pardon my ignorance, what is Frame QLED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
Hi
Netflix and Prime were not earlier available as apps but have been recently added by most of the manufacturers
Apart for these you also get Chromecast built in Android TVs which is an added advantage. They also support play store and hence apart from media apps you can also download other apps like games etc.
@freak, how old is your TV. I have a 3 year old Sony Android TV so will it have chromecast built in.
Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Do consider the OnePlus 4K TV that were just launched. 55 inch with soundbar attached.
However Netflix is not native to it and may be added via software patch if OnePlus decides to.
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:44   #9112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

Do consider the OnePlus 4K TV that were just launched. 55 inch with soundbar attached.
However Netflix is not native to it and may be added via software patch if OnePlus decides to.
It's double the price.
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:59   #9113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Do you guys see any better options than going with the official LG extended warranty? They seem to be charging a lot, almost 17-18K for a year that will be a discounted price if purchased within the month of TV purchase.
Best option is to not get any warranty. Why incur a sure loss of 18k on a purchase of less than 1 lakh? Nothing happens to TVs for a few years most of the time. Extended warranties make money for the companies as the chances of any repair are slim in the first few years. A few years down the road, you might want to upgrade to a bigger TV anyway. I would take a chance on having to pay 30k for a possible repair that probably won’t be required rather than take a sure loss of 18k upfront.
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:06   #9114
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Best option is to not get any warranty.
Absolutely - just self insure. One out of 10 appliances may suffer some problems in the first 3 years. In the money you saved from not buying an extended warranty for 10 appliances you can cover the repair of that one appliance (or even 2) & still have a lot of money left over.

The only thing I ever buy an extended warranty for is a laptop, that is very likely to have problems within 3 years (my use is quite rough - so I have many problems over 3 years).
Old 2nd October 2019, 13:07   #9115
BHPian

Quote:
Best option is to not get any warranty. Why incur a sure loss of 18k on a purchase of less than 1 lakh? Nothing happens to TVs for a few years most of the time. Extended warranties make money for the companies as the chances of any repair are slim in the first few years. A few years down the road, you might want to upgrade to a bigger TV anyway. I would take a chance on having to pay 30k for a possible repair that probably won’t be required rather than take a sure loss of 18k upfront.
You could take an extended warranty for 5K for 1 year or 7.8K for 2 years on a TV worth 60K. Quite reasonable I think. With "Onsitego". Available on Amazon or directly on their website. However, I have not had any experience with them so can't say how good or bad they are. This warranty must be taken within 6 months of the purchase.

Regards,
SS
Old 2nd October 2019, 13:08   #9116
BHPian

Quote:
Best option is to not get any warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Absolutely - just self insure.
I don't have any idea on reliability of the current crop of TVs, but back in 2013 when I bought a plasma TV, all online forums recommended buying extended warranty. So I bought 2 years extended warranty. Exactly after the 12 month standard warranty was over, the panel started developing dead lines. But since I had the extended warranty, the panel replacement was free, completed at my only.

The panel used to cost something like 50 / 55k.
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:11   #9117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any non-smart 4K TV's. I do not need any thing but Tata Sky to run. If non Android is cheaper and as good I would prefer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

I have been using 50QDV (4K 50 inch) model. There have been no problems, the panel quality is good. The speakers, I feel, are not sufficient even for a small hall of 120 sq ft. I have bought a Amazon 4K Firestick which is serving me well, it has voice support, bluetooth & 5Ghz wifi support.

There is one issue though for which I got the panel changed once, whenever I switch to Firestick, there is a horizontal white line at the bottom most of the screen. It comes only while playing videos. This issue persists even in the new panel. Seems to be a higher refresh rate issue.

Last edited by mercedised : 2nd October 2019 at 14:14.
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:13   #9118
Team-BHP Support

Panel changed at your own cost? If not, how was the experience?
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:09   #9119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbaz906 View Post
I did check them out at the store, stunning picture quality but it'll require a substantial stretch in the budget.
My bad. I saw a previous post of yours later where you had mentioned that you were looking for 43 inches. Why don't you look at Sanyo which is essentially a Panasonic TV. Somehow, I trust Japanese, after owning three Toshiba TVs in the family in 2014-15. All of them are working great until today. I was keenly looking to buy 43 Kaizan series which has everything top-notch (including Bluetooth 5), except for local dimming.

Quote:
I am actually very impressed by the new Moto TVs, they look very promising and are cheaper. But they launched like a week ago, so again doubts about long term performance.
Absolutely, on paper, it looks great with Dolby Vision, micro dimming and 30-watt soundbar. I too backed off because:
1) It is manufactured by Flipkart.
2) It is serviced by Jeeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Pardon my ignorance, what is Frame QLED.
Samsung has a Frame Series which comes with QLED panels (which Oneplus is claiming but not really giving). It usually retails around 1 big one but is available for 75-ish on Flipkart during the sale. It's a no brainer for anyone who is planning to put that kind of money on the TV. It comes with a 10-year warranty on the panel.

Coming to my own purchase:

I ordered Oneplus TV for 70 K which included a free Alexa speaker. It was costing me around 58 K after including all kinds of cashback and discounts. I, however, canceled the order the next day. I wasn't sure of putting that kind of money on an upstart. So, instead, I have ordered a VU Premium Android 55 inches and MARQ soundbar-woofer combo. The whole setup has cost me 36 grands.
I had originally planned to go for Sanyo Kaizan in case OP priced their TVs too high (which they did). But missus wanted to have a cinema-like experience while watching Marvel movies. So, I gave in and decided to ride my luck on something Chinese. It's isn't the first time though. After coming to Bangalore, we don't go out for watching movies and instead indulge ourselves with eclectic food here. It warranted a bigger screen at home which we are getting ourselves.
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:12   #9120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I have ordered a VU Premium Android 55 inches and MARQ soundbar-woofer combo. The whole setup has cost me 36 grands.
I thought the TV alone was 36k. Can you give more details please? TIA

Most Viewed