Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 21:44   #9601
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

For my work from home set up, I'm missing a monitor that could greatly add to my productivity at work.
I was toying with the idea of buying a 32inch TV and using it as a monitor as well as a bedroom TV.
My use is going to be mostly to see documents, excel files, outlook, may be some applications. Do you guys think this is a good idea.
I've googled on this and also watched some videos, but unable to get a convincing conclusion. What do you guys suggest ?
Old 13th October 2020, 22:34   #9602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
For my work from home set up, I'm missing a monitor that could greatly add to my productivity at work.
I was toying with the idea of buying a 32inch TV and using it as a monitor as well as a bedroom TV.
My use is going to be mostly to see documents, excel files, outlook, may be some applications. Do you guys think this is a good idea.
I've googled on this and also watched some videos, but unable to get a convincing conclusion. What do you guys suggest ?
You need to check the usual viewing distance for you. If it is close to the way we use monitors then you may have to move your neck from left to right considerably to read something. 32 inch is large for a monitor. Also you need to factor in that TVs are designed for watching videos and not specifically for text. Take some docs, email content and other stuff on usb stick to tv showroom. Or you can mirror screen it from mobile to tv. Play it out and watch it from your viewing distance and see how comfortable is that to you.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 00:13   #9603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
I have tried that and it works, but not as optimal viewing experience as you would expect if you have the habit of actual monitors as extended screens. The reason is difference in resolution and ppi density of TVs vs Monitors.

More details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4906013 (Computer monitor recommendations?)
Old 15th October 2020, 15:02   #9604
BHPian

I was just taking a look at LED TV's on Flipkart. Is there some offer running for cashback for HDFC customers (Debit card only ...I don't actually have a credit card)?

I think I remember something like that being announced but now I see only SBI offers on Flipkart homepage being advertised.
Old 15th October 2020, 15:37   #9605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Is there some offer running for cashback for HDFC customers...
I think I remember something like that being announced but now I see only SBI offers on Flipkart homepage being advertised.
HDFC card offer - 10% off - would be available on Amazon.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 15:50   #9606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
HDFC card offer - 10% off - would be available on Amazon.
Thanks sir! Looks like I got confused. The TV I was looking at is not there on Amazon as of now.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:03   #9607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
A few days ago, I got a notification that a new version of Web OS is available. Kindly check if you are on the latest version. I guess updating the software should resolve the issue. Is this only limited to the Netflix app or other apps as well?
Thanks. Did check for updates. It is upto date. Issue is with anything displayed as part of the menu. Even for example the text that identifies the source like HDMI1. Including all the smart tv menu options.

Very weird.
Old 15th October 2020, 16:07   #9608
Senior - BHPian

A piece of unsolicited advice for TV shoppers on Flipkart: please buy their 3 year Complete TV Protection offered via a third party service provider.

I have had a good experience with this a few weeks ago wherein the faulty set was replaced without any question at a location that was different and nearly 350km away from the delivery address. It is basically a kind of insurance that would cover all eventualities.

Cost me ₹1,500/-.

Disclaimer: No personal or business interests involved.

Quote:
Thanks sir! Looks like I got confused. The TV I was looking at is not there on Amazon as of now.
Don't worry.

If winter comes, can spring be far behind!

SBI would be followed by other cards - HDFC, Axis, ICICI in Flipkart and Amazon will bring in SBI card offers after HDFC. This happens every year; won't be different this time.

Last edited by dailydriver : 15th October 2020 at 16:34.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:07   #9609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks. Did check for updates. It is upto date. Issue is with anything displayed as part of the menu. Even for example the text that identifies the source like HDMI1. Including all the smart tv menu options.

Very weird.
Did you try a factory reset?
Old 16th October 2020, 10:23   #9610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Hi experts!

I am in the market for a 50 inch TV (more than adequate for my room and viewing distance) and came across this. The Samsung Serif

My other choice is the Sony 49x8000H, which is considerably cheaper. I am tempted by the Serif due to its looks (i saw it in the showroom, it looks wow) and Qled factor.

What do you guys think?
Ended up buying 49W800G for about 54K. This is Sony's top of the line Full HD tv. Just couldn't find a deal that I liked for 4K TV's.

Also picked up a Edifier B3 sound bar for 6k. I wanted a pair of bookshelf (Edifier R1700/R1850) speakers but decided to postpone it. I hope the sound bar does not disappoint, I had almost got the bookshelf!
Old 16th October 2020, 15:38   #9611
BHPian

Hi All,

Just ordered a 55inch LED TV on Flipkart. I wanted to check if anyone can recommend a voltage stabilizer for a setup of:
  • 55 inch LED TV
  • Small home theater setup (I think its called a 3.1 channel setup or something. My knowledge on sound systems is bad...dad got the piece a long time ago)
  • Maybe a Tata Sky Set Top box (don't have one as of now)
  • PS5 (if I ever get it)

Is this a decent option or is there a better one?

https://www.amazon.in/V-Guard-Digi-200-Stabilizer-Digital/dp/B01KGY4NS4?ref_=ast_sto_dp

NOTE: Sorry for the noob question. This is our family's first TV purchase in over a decade and I am not used to dealing with voltage fluctuations that seem to be there at my parents home.
Old 16th October 2020, 17:58   #9612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Just ordered a 55inch LED TV on Flipkart. I wanted to check if anyone can recommend a voltage stabilizer for a setup of:
  • 55 inch LED TV
  • Small home theater setup (I think its called a 3.1 channel setup or something. My knowledge on sound systems is bad...dad got the piece a long time ago)
  • Maybe a Tata Sky Set Top box (don't have one as of now)
  • PS5 (if I ever get it)

Congratulations on the big screen. That stabiliser should be more than enough. I’m also running a 55 inch TV on v guard, albeit a smaller model. Actually, I was running a 32 inch LCD with that stabiliser. I didn’t change the stabiliser when we upgraded the TV.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 13:12   #9613
BHPian

Quote:
I have APC for my tv and somehow believe their quality will be better. I have two APC home inverters too now for 15 years. The below is a different model than what i have.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07MPC2Q9P/
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 16:11   #9614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Go for the 50" Sony Bravia 49X8000G or 49W8000G. Nothing matches Bravia PQ, everything else is an also ran. They cost around 65k and for the remaining money get an extended warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
+ 1 to the above. Get the branded ones. Go for the Sony. I was looking for a TV for a few months and did a lot of research- from Mi to RealMe to OnePlus to everything else, and I actually spent money on the Sony about two weeks ago. I cannot tell you how awesome the PQ is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We got an LG 55"4k (LG-55SM8100) last Diwali for around 72K with 3 years warranty. The scheme required a 6 month EMI, but the interest was paid back after three months.
Thank you all for your recommendations. I know I didn't respond at the time but I was just evaluating my options (especially since my use case has updated a little..I am in my parents home now at least till my company calls me back to Bengaluru) and refrained from posting due to my limited knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Well if you have not yet bought one of those TVs I suggest you look at the Samsung Frame TV. It costs around 82k and is quite close to the Q70R. The only thing is that it's edge lit whereas the Q70R is backlit. But the Frame has a higher contrast ratio. Otherwise you can go with the X9500G but the reviews suggest it has got blooming & connection issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Hey JithinR,
Both these standard features are available in the Samsung Frame TV. The only downside is that it is a QLED panel and not OLED.
Well I finally placed the order for a Samsung Frame 2020 (55 inch) from Flipkart yesterday (https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-fra...bead1c926a4bf6). I wanted to purchase a decent one for my parents which would look decent on the wall too and the frame met my requirements at the time.

The standard warranty was for 1 year + 1 year additional warranty on the panel. Also, today I can see that there is an additional offer on the page for 2 year additional warranty on the panel for pieces invoiced from 10 Oct 2020 to 11 Nov 2020. I guess this should be applicable to me too.

By my reckoning the TV now has 1 year comprehensive warranty + 4 years warranty on the panel. But the Flipkart CC guy has told me it's 1 year on the TV + 3 years on the panel (not sure why).

The reason I am so hung up on the warranty part is that I can see a few posts on the samsung European community pages talking about issues with the One connect box and the invisible cable connecting it to the TV.

I was so hung up on the specs and the PQ reviews that I overlooked this crucial detail relating to reliability.

I got the TV for Rs. 76,999 (I used a friends Credit card to get the Rs. 5000 discount over the Rs. 81,999 list price). Now I am not sure if I can cancel the order (how does he get the money back...to his credit card? I have never used Credit cards before). Or can I get an extended warranty from Samsung India for this?

If customers in Europe are complaining about Samsung One connect boxes failing then I am not sure what hope I can have while pursuing Samsung for repair claims in India.
Old 17th October 2020, 19:00   #9615
BHPian

Quote:
I got the TV for Rs. 76,999 (I used a friends Credit card to get the Rs. 5000 discount over the Rs. 81,999 list price). Now I am not sure if I can cancel the order (how does he get the money back...to his credit card? I have never used Credit cards before). Or can I get an extended warranty from Samsung India for this?
I cancelled an iPhone order on Flipkart and got my refund in a few hours and the money was returned to the same card that I used. But the phone wasn't dispatched when I cancelled it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks