Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 16:56   #4681
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
To my surprise, 2 buckets of cloths weights only 1.5-1.6kgs.
Laundry like Blankets, Jeans and cotton bedsheets will weigh more. The Kg capacities as I learn are more to do with the drum size and motor capacity. While dropping in the laundry make sure the recommended max level for dry cloths is not exceeded. Usually up to 75-80% of the drum. Our day to day mix laundry wash will never reach full capacity.

Ideally for a good wash in a washing machine the cloths need to soak properly in water and should have space for movement.

In a front loader, even if the drum is full will dry cloths, once water starts pouring in, the wet weight compresses the cloths. And because the wash is by tumbling the laundry, it can really do with minimum water usage. Modern ones can do a real good job at optimizing water and electricity usage.

I have a Bosch Front Load and Samsung Top Load. The cycle time is fairly similar. But because of their design, we can load more cloths into the Front Load. I always recommend a Front Loader for its optimal resource utilization.

My parents like the Top Loader for convenience. No waiting time to add additional laundry once the wash cycle starts. If the cloths are too much, one can just pull out a few pieces
Old 20th October 2014, 17:25   #4682
Senior - BHPian

IIRC my conversation on this with a fellow Tbhpian who is ex LG and currently with Panasonic (WM product research division in both organisations) the indicated capacity is the weight of wet clothes that a given model can handle.

Quote:
What does the washing machine capacity mean? Lets say a 6kg washing m/c means 6kg of clothes can be washed or the 6kg includes the weight of the water also.
Old 20th October 2014, 18:57   #4683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
IIRC my conversation on this with a fellow Tbhpian who is ex LG and currently with Panasonic (WM product research division in both organisations) the indicated capacity is the weight of wet clothes that a given model can handle.
Wet clothes, does it mean including the water used for the wash or just the wet cloth weight
Old 20th October 2014, 19:44   #4684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wet clothes, does it mean including the water used for the wash or just the wet cloth weight
Since you have a weighing facility, weigh a bucketful of (dry) clothes, add water, push down on the clothes till all clothes are soaked in water, drain excess water and weigh again. This should be the weight that the washing machine will have to operate with. That 1.5-1.6Kg actually becomes 5-5.5 kg after soaking. It depends on the type of clothes, since some take on more water than others.
Old 20th October 2014, 20:50   #4685
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Khoj,

I could be wrong, but wet weight of 6Kgs is hardly any cloths.
2-3 pair of jeans might do that weight.

I believe it is the weight of cloths you are putting into the machine, and not what you take out of the machine.

I Googled around a bit and pulled up a few links, though none seem to be a representation from manufacturer. But from the site names they seem credible. All seem to suggest the weight mentioned is dry weight for the washing machine. However forums for cloth dryers suggest it as wet load.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/554334
http://www.washing-machine-wizard.co...g-machine.html
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...1113444AAIAYhv

My basic advice for washing is to fill max 3/4 of the tub so there is room for movement. More the cloths you can put in per wash, the better it is for the environment.

If the top loader is unable to move the cloths, you need to reduce a few pieces of laundry. Top loaders wash by pushing the detergent water thru the fabric, there should be room for the forces to act.

In a Front Load the 3/4 tub full will usually reduce to 1/2 tub when wet. So there will be enough room to tumble.
Old 20th October 2014, 21:02   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Guys,
Need your help. My son is Asthmatic and I am looking at a good vacuum cleaner so that brooming and mopping is done away with (which is causing more harm than good). I loved the rainbow cleaning system using water ( http://rainbowsystem.com ), but at 1.32 lakhs it insanely priced and I am not sold at that price point.

I am looking for a cleaner which will suck pet hair, dust, mites, etc and will not throw it back!!!

I came across Karcher system similar to Rainbow, which uses a combination of Water + HEPA and thought this will be good. Any one has any suggestions

http://www.karcher.com/int/Products/...r/11952100.htm
Anyone has any input?
Old 20th October 2014, 21:37   #4687
Senior - BHPian

Just the wet clothes weight, after they have been wrung out i.e. no excess water in the clothes but just enough to make them wet.

DerAlte has summed up the weighing methodology accurately

Quote:
@HillMan
The chap I spoke to knew what he was talking about and his knowledgable words were/are enough for me. Besides at the end of the day it is just about washing clothes.

BTW, the softener bottle or anything else for that matter parked on top of the LG DD machine does not vibrate/shake at all not even a little bit, not even during the dry cycle with the drum whizzing away at 1400RPM.

@madbullram
Take a serious look at this.

http://www.irobot.com/For-the-Home/V...ng/Roomba.aspx

They also have Scooba for scrubbing & Brava for mopping. I have not used these, have no idea on pricing etc but you tube is full of videos on the same. You may be able to buy this using one of the many shop&ship services. Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Anyone has any input?

Last edited by khoj : 20th October 2014 at 21:54. Reason: responding to additional posts
Old 20th October 2014, 22:25   #4688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Since you have a weighing facility, weigh a bucketful of (dry) clothes, add water, push down on the clothes till all clothes are soaked in water, drain excess water and weigh again. This should be the weight that the washing machine will have to operate with. That 1.5-1.6Kg actually becomes 5-5.5 kg after soaking. It depends on the type of clothes, since some take on more water than others.
Quote:
Just the wet clothes weight, after they have been wrung out i.e. no excess water in the clothes but just enough to make them wet.

Hmm...wet cloth weight, let me check it this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 20th October 2014 at 22:27.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:02   #4689
BHPian

Last year, my wife and I were scouting for a mixer grinder in CROMA store; the sales rep encouraged us to take product from their own brand and it also had good pricing. So the VFM thought came up instantly and we picked that up. In one month time, the blade of one jar broke, and in another 2 months the blade of the other one too.
We then returned that to Croma, informed them about my own mistake of buying that brand and that we wanted another one. The other formalities were done and I picked up a PHILIPS make.
Till date, we have had no issues with it and are glad we picked up a quality product even if that meant shelling out extra.. To me this is the true meaning of 'value for money'
Old 21st October 2014, 01:37   #4690
BHPian

Quote:

@madbullram
Take a serious look at this.

http://www.irobot.com/For-the-Home/V...ng/Roomba.aspx

They also have Scooba for scrubbing & Brava for mopping. I have not used these, have no idea on pricing etc but you tube is full of videos on the same. You may be able to buy this using one of the many shop&ship services. Ciao
already have a iRobot. It only works on floor and i am not happy about, i need proper vaccum cleaner so can clean floor, ceiling, fans, mattress, pillows, sofa, car etc
Old 21st October 2014, 08:01   #4691
BHPian

Quote:
@HillMan
The chap I spoke to knew what he was talking about and his knowledgable words were/are enough for me. Besides at the end of the day it is just about washing clothes.
If the source is reliable, I'll take your word for it. Online there is a lot of confusion between wet and dry weight. The depth of drum change based on weight, so you can load more laundry. I just go with a limit of filling the drum up to a max of 3/4 for front load and 2/3rd for top loader for its program cycle that way I know there is enough room to tumble or swim around.

Quote:
BTW, the softener bottle or anything else for that matter parked on top of the LG DD machine does not vibrate/shake at all not even a little bit, not even during the dry cycle with the drum whizzing away at 1400RPM.
I wouldn't doubt the build quality on a 1400RPM machine. They are way sturdier then the 800 -1200rpm range of machines. I was only comparing machines around 1000RPM range. I had compared a few washing machines in a showroom at full spin. All of them displayed on a similar platform. I kept a glass of water to see how they fair.

Last edited by HillMan : 21st October 2014 at 08:02.
Old 21st October 2014, 09:11   #4692
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Last year, my wife and I were scouting for a mixer grinder in CROMA store; the sales rep encouraged us to take product from their own brand and it also had good pricing. So the VFM thought came up instantly and we picked that up. In one month time, the blade of one jar broke, and in another 2 months the blade of the other one too.
For these I am partial towards Kenwood followed by Oster. You pay a lot but they seem to last forever.
Old 21st October 2014, 09:16   #4693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1. Regular size refrigerator.
Samsung 190L ?
I got myself a Samsung 192 liter capacity model, with inner volume capacity at 180 liters. Good product, though being a basic refrigerator, you have to (sometimes) dispose water from the back area (where it gets collected in a pan)

I saw product from LG, but didn't inspire me.

I got a front loading WM from Samsung, around 8-10 months ago at ~35K, unfortunately, it has been discontinued. It too has a 10 year warranty and I am very satisfied with the WM. But have been hearing (here, on our forum) as LG's are better and quite a few are satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
For these I am partial towards Kenwood followed by Oster. You pay a lot but they seem to last forever.
Used Sumeet, for 20+ years, after it gave away, got a Crompton.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st October 2014 at 09:17.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:49   #4694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The trouble is finding one. I searched a lot for Kenwood here in Bangalore and then settled for Philips.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:51   #4695
Senior - BHPian

In my two decades with WM, I find that filling the drum 2/3 (after patting down) works the best with front load machines. Once they are wet, they come to 1/2 the drum height. The front loading machine works best when the clothes can tumble that is similar to a dhobi banging the clothes on the floor. When my wife fills the clothes to the brim, they do not tumble and the wash is not that good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks