Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 17:08   #7276
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Shouldn't the MCB trip?
Regular MCBs do not trip for earth fault. They trip only on overload.

An ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker) would trip on earth fault.
Old 8th August 2019, 17:26   #7277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Shouldn't the MCB trip?
MCB normally do not trip in such case. What you need is an earth current relay

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=earth+faul...b_sb_ss_i_2_10

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07SW6Z87Q/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://circuitglobe.com/restricted-...rotection.html

https://www.littelfuse.com/products/...rotection.aspx

http://www.larsentoubro.com/electric...h-fault-relay/
Old 13th August 2019, 13:23   #7278
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
My first suspect would be the plug point. Either the earth has become weak or disconnected, or the neutral has a lose connection. Have the plug point checked first.
The electrician came & check the plug point and said that there is nothing wrong with the point & the fault is in the machine. So have to call the LG customer support next.
Old 13th August 2019, 13:54   #7279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The electrician came & check the plug point and said that there is nothing wrong with the point & the fault is in the machine. So have to call the LG customer support next.
Yes , the right step. If point is fine , then there is earthing issues within the machine. MCB , as few members have pointed out, won't trip in these cases. Only an ELCB would trip.
Old 13th August 2019, 14:57   #7280
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
If point is fine , then there is earthing issues within the machine.
Will this be an expensive repair?
Old 13th August 2019, 15:28   #7281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will this be an expensive repair?
Most probably, this could be a broken earth wire in the power cord or a loose connection of the earth wire to the chassis.

If this is due to some component failure in the power supply section, then they may ask to replace the relevant board and this may be a little expensive.
Old 13th August 2019, 21:22   #7282
BHPian

Quote:
Might be a good idea to double check your self - both on the wall supply side and the washing machine 3-pin plug.

The electrician at our apt. complex is so incompetent, I wouldn't trust his judgement on anything without double checking myself!

Plugging the WM to a different socket replicates the issue? If you have a multimeter you could check for most things (continuity, voltages) without removing too many screws.
Old 14th August 2019, 01:16   #7283
BHPian

Quote:
My washing machine has started giving a very mild shock when I touch the soap compartment (it's plastic!).
It can be the heating coil in the machine that has gone bad, since it is not the plug socket and your electrician may have tested the earth.
Have you done any recent electrical work at your house? I had switched earth and neutral in a socket once, a few years back, and when using the dishwasher, there would be a mild shock in all appliances (mixie, microwave, oven and the hob as well) in the kitchen. Took me a long time to figure out the mistake.
Old 14th August 2019, 02:29   #7284
Distinguished - BHPian

Our recent "washing machine fault" turned out to be in the household electrics, but took the electrician two visits to find it. It was on the same circuit as the washing machine, but not close to it.
Old 14th August 2019, 12:34   #7285
BHPian

Any feedback on Marq range of front load washing machines sold on Flipkart? They seem to have a very good customer rating (4.3+/5 across 1000s of reviews). A 7.5Kg machine is listed for 17K and you get it at 15K due to cashbacks/discounts during sales.

But it appears to be a Chinese product which is branded as a flipkart product. I presume most of the others too in this price category follow the similar approach. One of the major concerns will be about its quality (considering it is Chinese) & parts availability in case of faults.

Anyone here has any experience with this brand/product?
Old 14th August 2019, 12:59   #7286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Any feedback on Marq range of front load washing machines sold on Flipkart? They seem to have a very good customer rating (4.3+/5 across 1000s of reviews).
Don't ever depend on reviews posted on flipkart or amazon. Almost all of them are fake, especially so if its a flipkart house product.

Always depend on independent reviews on forums like these or over on independent blogs online.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:15   #7287
BHPian

My experience with the Electrical Wiring in my flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
... The electrician at our apt. complex is so incompetent, I wouldn't trust his judgement on anything without double checking myself!

Well, here is an account of my recent experience with the electrical wiring done in my new flat:

Typically the workers employed by contractors are school dropouts learning the relevant 'skills' on the job, from uneducated seniors with similar backgrounds.

* The workers didn't have a clue about the basics of electricity beyond the fact that two wires connected to the mains can light a bulb or run a fan / appliance.

They didn't know :

* The difference between or the significance of live, neutral or ground, or the use of colour codes.

* The significance of load carrying capacity of various gauges of wires and corresponding ratings of MCBs etc.

* The need for proper load distribution into various circuits.

* The need for appropriately scaling up wire thicknesses for merging currents!

* The importance of any kind of electrical codes to be observed.

The only way this way of doing things can sort of work is with proper supervision from competent superiors, which is rarely done! All that is checked is whether some sample lights / fans are working, unless complaints are made.

As a result I had to personally check all individual circuits and have corrected (to the extent possible) problems like:

* Improper MCB ratings / wire gauges unfit for intended use,

* Geysers connected to 6 Amp circuits / lights to 16 Amp ones, etc.

* AC circuits done with thin wires, and were not independent of other circuits.

* Swapped / unconnected live / neutral / ground wires!

* Use of common neutral wires to various circuits.

* All ground wires were the thinnest available!

* Circuits disproportionately distributed between available MCBs. ... and so on....

* Basically just about every relevant electrical code was violated!

I have had problems in my own flat corrected, but problems / potential fire hazards must still remain in many other flats in the complex.

The local state electricity board washes their hands off taking any responsibility beyond the common service entrance points of such apartment complexes. ... And there is nothing some graft can't achieve either!

My upscale flat is from the biggest builder group in a relatively smaller town, but I expect such problems to be the norm rather than the exception elsewhere in India too (I've personally experienced it in other places also), given the widespread practice by buiders of finding the cheapest way to build in absence of proper enforcement of relevant building codes, with no fear of facing any penalties whatsoever (especially in states with no proper RERA yet).

My experience is quite similar with regard to other areas of construction too (not just electrical), but that is another (though related) story. It is amazing how different aspects of the same project are served by different contractors / workers with no proper handshaking amongst themselves, and the builders still get away with the resulting defective product!

It would be interesting to hear about your experiences / views in this regard. Thanks.
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:36   #7288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All ground wires were the thinnest available!
If my unqualified understanding is correct, the earth wire should be able to take the full current on that circuit: it should be the same gauge as the live wire --- but I seem to remember that the "twin-and-earth" cabling used in regulated-to-hell-and-back British house wiring is smaller than the live and neutral. But it is not tiny. And I see the earth cables used here on a cheapest/smallest basis.
Old 15th August 2019, 08:34   #7289
BHPian

Re: My experience with the Electrical Wiring in my flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Well, here is an account of my recent experience with the electrical wiring done in my new flat:

hear about your experiences / views in this regard.
The swg of the earth wire being faulty is one of the common issues I've seen.

Few others from our resident electricians (mis)deeds -

1> One of the apartments, the electrician ignored placing the securing pin to the ceiling fan assembly! Luckily it was caught on time and precautions taken before the fan could have come down swinging.

Word had to be put out for everyone to anyway take a peek and ensure their ceiling fans have the proper security measures in place.

2> Many places one can see the insulation tape is poorly done - exposed mutli-strands or strands piercing out through the insulation tape.

3> Electrical short in the hot water geyser assembly soon after an electrical work has become very common.
Old 15th August 2019, 14:42   #7290
BHPian

Re: My experience with the Electrical Wiring in my flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Well, here is an account of my recent...

* The workers didn't have a clue about the basics...

It would be interesting to hear about your experiences / views in this regard. Thanks.
Had the same experience at my flat, but luckily got everything done to my requirements.

It's worse than "not having a clue"! I spent about 10 minutes arguing with an accessories shop technician to get the horn relay fitted, and finally had to give up! And the store owner had the audacity to charge extra for wiring with a larger gauge wire because it involved "extra labor".
Even worse, tried to get the horn relay fitted at a TBHP members recommended shop (Sachin's at Koramangala) along with other work, but again the owner insisted it was not required and refused to fix the relay.

Experts on the weather, the economy, Administrative Services officials, or even CEOs have no clue about their supposed area of expertise but have only succeeded in becoming experts using smoke and mirrors.

Most Viewed