Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 09:08   #8266
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Hello everyone, I am on the look out to purchase a storage geyser for my home and have circled in on 2 products, one from AO Smith and the other from Crompton Greaves, both are 15L, appreciate feedback/suggestions if anyone has purchased between these two products recently especially from Amazon.

AO Smith: AO Smith HSE-VAS-X-015 Storage 15 Litre Vertical Water Heater (Geyser)

Crompton Greaves: Crompton Arno Neo ASWH-2615 15LTR(2KW) 4 Star-Rated Storage Water Heater (White)
I have the same AO smith 15L model and its elder sibling the 25 L version being used for over 4 years. No issue faced. Only problem I saw is the heater was left unused for 2-3 weeks in one bathroom, the water started stinking of rotten eggs. I checked on the net and came to know that the hot water stored without circulation reacts with the heating element and releases gases.
With regular usage, this has been eliminated.

Last edited by hrman : 17th October 2020 at 09:10.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 12:20   #8267
BHPian

A question for folks using small capacity counter-top dishwashers at home:

What is the right way to use a dishwasher? Can we run it 3 times a day (say after cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner respectively) with very light load on say a 15 minute cycle? Or do we just drop all the dishes in it and run it once a day (like a washing machine)?

I was looking at the run times of these equipments and they seem to go from anywhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours depending on the cleaning-mode chosen so I am not sure if we can use it after every meal. Manually washing them after every meal takes less than 15 minutes, but it appears that for a small household, the device can operate under full load only if we put dishes from 3 cooking sessions.
Old 17th October 2020, 13:34   #8268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
A question for folks using small capacity counter-top dishwashers at home:

What is the right way to use a dishwasher?
We have been using the countertop DW from Voltas Beko for over a month now. We feel its optimum to run it atleast 85% full as even the minimum wash cycle is for 90 min. Anything below that is not actually a wash cycle and those are more for vessels which have already been washed and stored for a considerable time.

Since we are a 3 member household, the DW is loaded once a day (after dinner) and an hr and half later, vessels are squeaky clean and ready to be stowed away. Having early dinner helps here.

If in case we have more vessels (typically when my parents come by), we load it twice every alternate day. Very rarely do we load it half full as the device is not smart enough to adjust water consumption or cycle time based on loaded capacity.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 16:09   #8269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Only problem I saw is the heater was left unused for 2-3 weeks in one bathroom, the water started stinking of rotten eggs. I checked on the net and came to know that the hot water stored without circulation reacts with the heating element and releases gases...
The heating element is going to be copper, unless it has some protective coating, eg of some sort of ceramic. I'm surprised that there would be anything in the water that give that hyrdogen-sulphide, rotten-egg smell. Not that I'm any chemist, but if you could check from your source what the reaction is, I'd be interested.

Perhaps it just needs the cleaning out of regular flow. We have had a problem here, for some time, with the water from one tap smelling very bad for a few seconds. It is a small, corner hand-wash basin in the corner of one of our two toilet/shower rooms, and only this tap was affected. I used to have a stock of curtain wire and recently replaced. I have disconnected the flexible pipe before and run water through it, but this time I ran the curtain wire up and down and all black stuff came out. Now the water smells clean. I hate to think what germs I washing my hands with!
Old 17th October 2020, 21:49   #8270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The heating element is going to be copper, unless it has some protective coating, eg of some sort of ceramic. I'm surprised that there would be anything in the water that give that hyrdogen-sulphide, rotten-egg smell. Not that I'm any chemist, but if you could check from your source what the reaction is, I'd be interested

Perhaps it just needs the cleaning out of regular flow!
It was a surprise to me when the water started smelling like sewage. Another heater in our other bathroom with the same water source showed no such thing. A simple search on Google threw out the most likely cause of this stink being the bacteria growing in the heater when the hot water goes cold. Prolonged periods of non usage helps the bacteria thrive and causes the smell.
I do have a glass coated element in my heater and read some where that the element also caused this gas to be released due to reaction. Not able to see that article.
Since then I've been using the heater regularly and have not faced the problem.

https://quenchwater.com/blog/does-your-water-smell/

Last edited by hrman : 17th October 2020 at 21:52.
Old 19th October 2020, 02:26   #8271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Hello everyone, I am on the look out to purchase a storage geyser for my home and have circled in on 2 products, one from AO Smith and the other from Crompton Greaves, both are 15L, appreciate feedback/suggestions if anyone has purchased between these two products recently especially from Amazon.

AO Smith: AO Smith HSE-VAS-X-015 Storage 15 Litre Vertical Water Heater (Geyser)

Crompton Greaves: Crompton Arno Neo ASWH-2615 15LTR(2KW) 4 Star-Rated Storage Water Heater (White)
Might be late but I am fan of AO Smith products. I have no experience with CG so can't speak of them, however two different installers in the last one year have spoken positively about V-guard geysers/water heaters to me.
Elito11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 08:31   #8272
BHPian

AO smith heater - stinking water problem

Quote:
I have the same AO smith 15L model and its elder sibling the 25 L version being used for over 4 years. .... Only problem I saw is the heater was left unused for 2-3 weeks in one bathroom, the water started stinking of rotten eggs. I checked on the net and came to know that the hot water stored without circulation reacts with the heating element and releases gases.
Quote:
It was a surprise to me when the water started smelling like sewage. Another heater in our other bathroom with the same water source showed no such thing. .... the most likely cause of this stink being the bacteria growing in the heater when the hot water goes cold. Prolonged periods of non usage helps the bacteria thrive and causes the smell.
I do have a glass coated element in my heater and read some where that the element also caused this gas to be released due to reaction. Not able to see that article.

My AO smith Storage Water Heater also has the same problem of stinking water after an extended period of non-usage. As you said, with regular usage the problem does disappear, -- but only to repeat all over again with my next trip away from home!

--- Your link above says:

Quote:
Make sure that hot water smells, but cold water does not. Often, the smell originates from a magnesium heating rod in the hot water tank.

However, I don't think hot-water-let-go-cold has much to do with it! in my experience, it happens even when the hot water is used up, and room-temperature water is left in the storage for an extended period of time. The heating element in the water heater is supposed to be glass coated, like you said. I'm puzzled how room-temperature water gets to react with the coated element to create the stink!

I'm also puzzled how come your other heater doesn't have this problem! Which brand is it, and how come this issue is not made into a selling point by competitors of AO Smith ?! If their are brands of heaters which don't have this stinking water issue, I'll dump my AO Smith heater right away, and switch to one such unit.
Old 19th October 2020, 09:08   #8273
Senior - BHPian

Re: AO smith heater - stinking water problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
My AO smith Storage Water Heater also has the same problem of stinking water after an extended period of non-usage. As you said, with regular usage the problem does disappear, --

I'm also puzzled how come your other heater doesn't have this problem! Which brand is it, and how come this issue is not made into a selling point by competitors of AO Smith ?! If their are brands of heaters which don't have this stinking water issue, I'll dump my AO Smith heater right away, and switch to one such unit.
My other heater no.2 is also AO Smith, albeit a higher capacity of 25L.
I concluded that the prolonged period of non usage was the culprit. The other bathroom didn't have this problem as the heater was being used every day. The heater no.1, which was unused for a prolonged period caused this smell.
I think this is peculiar to AO smith, possibly due to their glass coated element. . I have had a local water heater in my previous rented house which I used for 8 years. When we left the heater unused for about 10-14 days, it did not have this problem.
Old 19th October 2020, 09:09   #8274
BHPian

Quote:
It was a surprise to me when the water started smelling like sewage
Something that we all often neglect is maintenance of water heaters. We fit it and forget it. But the heater performance and electricity consumption depends on water quality fed by into it, which is not feasible to monitor regularly. Atleast once a year they have to removed and the storage water along with the dust and grime to be drained and cleaned with mild acid like vinegar to remove of water scaling. Can be easily done on-site. Element re-inspected and installed. Cost is not much but something to be done
Old 19th October 2020, 09:41   #8275
BHPian

Thank you hrman and Elito11, I have placed the order for the same product from AO Smith, we had a Johnson storage geyser in your home which went kaput after 2 years of usage, we also changed the tank and coil once, but it went dead again.

I had researched much about this AO Smith product before purchasing and I think I have made a good decision. We will be using this regularly so I hope it doesn't give us any trouble.
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:11   #8276
Senior - BHPian

Anybody has had experience in getting refrigerators delivered by Amazon during this pandemic? Any special instructions in this regard would be useful.
Old 19th October 2020, 13:02   #8277
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone using full home water softener plant for flats. In bangalore in our flat the TDS is hitting almost 850, and i am thinking if investing in a whole water softener is a good idea.
Old 19th October 2020, 19:53   #8278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Anyone using full home water softener plant for flats.
I use it in my rental independent home and my friend got it installed in his flat. Was an easy install for him as he has only one water inlet in his house. We both are using the 3M one. Both our feelings are mixed. The increased salt in the water has led to other complications of corrosion in vessels and my TUV. The wheel nuts and brake disc had rusted a lot due to liberal use of water by our car cleaners. I also find the effects of the softener to have worn off now after 2 years of use.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:25   #8279
BANNED

Winter is coming!!!

Yes, and we are fed up of cleaning dishes 3 times a day apart from other household chores along with never ending WFH and kid' school from home. Verdict from home ministry is out, we are going to get a Dishwasher, period.

Called all my known electronics shop and asked them to deliver a Bosch Dishwasher. They are conspicuously out of stock everywhere.

Back to drawing board, I concluded, I should not spend much on a Dishwasher. Reason, we are not going to live without Maid forever, are we? So, let' buy a budget one which can help us sail through for some time to come till our beloved "Bai"s are back again.

I found few brands those fits to my budget; Voltas-Beko, Hafele, Faber. These are readily available near me.
->Any review on these brands and products?
->How are the service of these brands?
Old 20th October 2020, 18:37   #8280
BHPian

Any suggestions on Split A/C for home. 5 star rating preferred. Reliability and good after sales is a must.

Most Viewed