Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2017, 15:05   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Headphones Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
1. They sound much low and flat due to 32 ohms impedance.
I don't think so. If I remember right, this is normal/low impedance for headphones.

I have Sennheiser HD600s (at home, of course: these are big, open-back 'phones that would be useless for travel). These are high impedance. 600-ohm, if I recall correctly. Plugged into my phone, they still sound high-quality, but volume is absolutely not there.

Anyway, you are now happy with your FIIO amp... which is what counts!
Old 19th February 2017, 15:10   #242
Team-BHP Support

Replying to some of the old posts (last month's); but here goes my view

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Ended up purchasing the Shure SE215.
The quirk factor with the transparent casing is something.
The Noise isolation is beyond brilliant for this budget and i feel better than even the Bose QC series in ears.
I am personally not happy with the sound quality. It is Bassy for sure, but i feel the clarity of my Klipsch far exceeds this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Klipsch S4s were my first expensive IEM set. Considering you used to like them, check out Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 IEMs.
I have used all 3 of them: Shure 215; Senheiser Momentum and Bose.

- Shure was my first buy last decade and I used them for 5-6 years. Like you guys mentioned, isolation is superb, but I did feel it being too high on bass, which was not to my liking. But I kept it on.
- Later I tried to use Senheiser momentum. And the aversion was immediate. The bass was even higher. I just did not like it.
- The most clear of all was Bose. I have both the QC20 and Soundsport (Android versions). The sound clarity and richness can be felt across the range. And that makes it sharper. I do not like too much bass and I prefer the sharpness of the sound.

May be Klipsh is like Bose in terms of sound and hence the preference to Klipsch. I have not use them and hence can't say. But I think that may be the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I can't deal with earphones. Don't like the sound and besides one of them keeps falling off :P
Is this a common issue with headphones?
Try the Bose sound sport version. Bit higher on the price but extremely conformortable for the ear. They hold very well.

Last edited by ampere : 19th February 2017 at 15:13.
Old 19th February 2017, 20:50   #243
BHPian

The Headphones Thread-screen-shot-20170219-8.47.56-pm.png

My cans are the ATH M50X Limited Edition, These are amazing for the price and love the combo with my Classic iPod 160.
Old 21st February 2017, 13:25   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi

My preferences are
1. Neutral sounding (M20X spoiled me, tried few sony XB headphones and felt that they are too bassy and lack the clear detailed sound)
2. Should be very good for music
3. Should produce a detailed sound stage
4. The construction should be rugged and should withstand decent abuse.
5. Easy to drive from smart phone
Hi Barath,
I have heard quite a few pairs of earphones/headphones across a wide price range. Looking at your preferences and listed options, I would request you to audition the RHA MA750s once. I won't call them neutral sounding. They are a fun pair of earphones and have excellent clarity with good bass. Quite a wide sound stage considering they are IEMs. I have compared these to RHA T20s as well (flagship RHA earphones with custom filters costing 20k) and the MA750s at 9k are very well matched. RHA earphones also come with a 3 year warranty. And they will easy run from your phone, no external amp needed.

Let me know if you have any more questions/queries. I will be more than happy to help you.
Old 21st February 2017, 19:18   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
My Klipsch Image S4A stopped working. The wiring seems to have come off for the right ear bud after usage in helmet. (Frail and Flimsy wires they have).

Ended up purchasing the Shure SE215.

The quirk factor with the transparent casing is something.

The wires in these at least appear to be far more durable than my earlier Sennheiser CX and MX 685s (Had both, lost one and damaged the other) and Klipsch Image S4.

Clumsy to use because of those huge earbuds and unique position they have to be used at.

The Noise isolation is beyond brilliant for this budget and i feel better than even the Bose QC series in ears.

I am personally not happy with the sound quality. It is Bassy for sure, but i feel the clarity of my Klipsch far exceeds this one. I am now worried if i made the wrong choice because of this reason.
Your experience seems very close to mine

Used Klipsch S4A initially and it stopped working. In the midst of trying for a warranty replacement, I got Shure SE215 SE (Special Edition in translucent blue).

I loved Shure SE215 more than the Klipsch. To my ears, the sound quality and clarity of SE215 was way better than the Klipsch - but one thing, the SE215 took some time to open up - burn in? I am not sure. Initially it felt a but bloated and just average for the price - but in a couple of weeks, the sound quality just improved a lot. It could be the burn-in or the time I took to get it fit perfectly into my ear. Also, the sound insulation is excellent for its size and price.

In fact the replacement Klipsch I got lies idle most of the times while Shure SE215 is being used overtime Klipsch's build quality is simply pathetic while Shure is excellent to me. The cable quality in SE215 is also way better than the Klipsch.
Old 29th March 2017, 13:32   #246
Senior - BHPian

I just got myself an LG V20 and have been fiddling around with it trying to get the best sound of it's quad DACs.

Apparently it requires high impedance headphones to get the most of this little beauty. What in blue blazes are high impedance headphones? :(

I have a sony MDR series headphone with noise cancellation and it does not trigger the high impedance mode on the phone.

There is a work around but it involves plugging in a high impedance adapter, a male to female 3.5mm adapater and then finally plugging in whatever headphones one has. Too much of a hassle that.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:07   #247
BHPian

Quote:
I just got myself an LG V20 and have been fiddling around with it trying to get the best sound of it's quad DACs.

Apparently it requires high impedance headphones to get the most of this little beauty. What in blue blazes are high impedance headphones? :(

I have a sony MDR series headphone with noise cancellation and it does not trigger the high impedance mode on the phone.

There is a work around but it involves plugging in a high impedance adapter, a male to female 3.5mm adapater and then finally plugging in whatever headphones one has. Too much of a hassle that.
Impedance refers to the power required to run the headphones. Normally, earphones have 16ohm impedance and headphones have 32ohm impedance and can be plugged directly to mobiles without the need for an external amplifier.

Higher impedance headphones are around 100 - 250 ohms in general and when directly plugged into mobiles, provide very low volume due to insufficient power. This is where an external amplifier is required.

Ideally you can use your existing headphones with the mobile without issues. The only case where low impedance headphones cannot be used is when the amplifier is powerful and can blow out the headphones at higher volume.
Old 29th March 2017, 15:51   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What in blue blazes are high impedance headphones? :(
If it works, sounds good, and you get sufficient volume... it doesn't matter.

But, for instance, my Sennhieser HD600s are: 300 Ohm, and higher is possible. With little or no knowledge of the actual electronics (impedance is something like resistance but more complex) I can simply say that they sound fine plugged into my phone --- but only give very low volume.

My integrated amp "drives" them fine. Audiophiles love this word. They like the idea that something is hard to drive, whether it is or not. Mostly macho audiophoolery. But for high-impedance headphones it is true. The audiophoolery/marketing-bull comes in suggesting that they are necessarily better than Low impedance 'phones.

Look at your user manual (also known as sheet of paper: hard to write a book about using 'phones!) which should list the specs. Failing that, the manufacturer's internet product page will.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th March 2017 at 15:53.
Old 29th March 2017, 16:15   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure I mentioned this in this thread, I came across this site which has a decent collection of headphones (in my limited knowledge). I haven't heard of a lot of these brands but the internet suggests good reviews for a lot of these. Those who are knowledgeable could let us know whether their ratings are at par for the product. Please do check out their Top 10 headphones / best ones under each price bracket.

www.headphonezone.in
Old 29th March 2017, 16:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Impedance refers to the power required to run the headphones. Normally, earphones have 16ohm impedance and headphones have 32ohm impedance and can be plugged directly to mobiles without the need for an external amplifier.

Higher impedance headphones are around 100 - 250 ohms in general and when directly plugged into mobiles, provide very low volume due to insufficient power. This is where an external amplifier is required.

Ideally you can use your existing headphones with the mobile without issues. The only case where low impedance headphones cannot be used is when the amplifier is powerful and can blow out the headphones at higher volume.
Thanks for the clarifications. I can definitely use my headphones and can note the differences compared to my previous phone. Finally my collection of FLACs sound real good.

Just that i am apparently not maximizing the potential of the phone. Just checked out prices of high impedance headphones and i think i'll hold on to my Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If it works, sounds good, and you get sufficient volume... it doesn't matter.

But, for instance, my Sennhieser HD600s are: 300 Ohm, and higher is possible. With little or no knowledge of the actual electronics (impedance is something like resistance but more complex) I can simply say that they sound fine plugged into my phone --- but only give very low volume.

My integrated amp "drives" them fine. Audiophiles love this word. They like the idea that something is hard to drive, whether it is or not. Mostly macho audiophoolery. But for high-impedance headphones it is true. The audiophoolery/marketing-bull comes in suggesting that they are necessarily better than Low impedance 'phones.

Look at your user manual (also known as sheet of paper: hard to write a book about using 'phones!) which should list the specs. Failing that, the manufacturer's internet product page will.
We often are too lazy to refer to sheets of paper

Anyhow, as mentioned before, high impedance headphones are beyond reach for now so shall stick to the workaround solution provided by the people at head-fi.org

The sound through the v20 is just amazing. But had to resort to an alpha version of poweramp to get best possible output. [Stock app is just mundane]

I am hearing different notes and tones which were buried somewhere in the background earlier.

Shall try with the included B&O earphones and check as well.

Thanks for the help.
Old 29th March 2017, 23:06   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... Those who are knowledgeable could let us know whether their ratings are at par for the product. Please do check out their Top 10 headphones / best ones under each price bracket.

www.headphonezone.in
As they are selling, I'd take their ratings with at least a small pinch of salt.

There is always head-fi, but if anybody wants a site where everything is wonderful, especially the current flavour of the month: SuperBestAudioFriends.

Quote:
We often are too lazy to refer to sheets of paper
Yes. I used to read the brochure, the box and the manual. Now I find manuals, especially for complex items such as cameras, intimidation.

Quote:
Anyhow, as mentioned before, high impedance headphones are beyond reach for now
They really should not be necessary.

Quote:
I am hearing different notes and tones which were buried somewhere in the background earlier.
That's nice. Always good to have a I never heard that before experience with new audio kit!
Old 30th March 2017, 07:39   #252
RJK
Senior - BHPian

All you guys using Shure SE 215,can you help me out? I had bought SE 215 in Aug '15 from Amazon US (shipped to my sister's address & carried to India by mom) and was using them sparingly in Gym while running, for the past 3-4 months, the left ear piece stopped working, so this past week I initiated warranty replacement procedure with their representative in India, Sun infonet. I called & spoke to the director of the company regarding warranty replacement but he claims that Asia Pacific warranty is only for one year whereas I opened up the original packing of the earphones & saw that wasn't really mentioned anywhere.

Clearly sun infonet doesn't want to honour the 2yrs replacement warranty that is written everywhere on the box and the warranty literature that came along. Can anyone substantiate their claim regarding the warranty if any of you has had a warranty replacement experience? The only other solution I see is to send them back to US and have my sister send to USA and ask for replacement which is a very cumbersome procedure.

Needless to say, I won't be recommending the SE 215's to anyone; not that the earphones themselves are bad but this denial of warranty and the fact the ear piece stopped working after only about 50-60 usages is not something I anticipated after paying US$ 100.
Old 30th March 2017, 09:39   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They really should not be necessary.

That's nice. Always good to have a I never heard that before experience with new audio kit!
Wonder of wonders, when i switched on the NC button on the headphone and plugged in the cable, the phone switched onto high impedance mode. And my god, what a beastly sound! Iron Maiden at 11pm never sounded better
Old 4th April 2017, 18:11   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so. If I remember right, this is normal/low impedance for headphones.
I have Sennheiser HD600s
Anyway, you are now happy with your FIIO amp... which is what counts!
Hi friends,
Thanks for the feedback. But I am in a different confusion now. Need your feedback on what would be the better option. Budget: 8K
My source of songs would be my samsung phone. I am not so happy with the output I get if I connect my ATH M20X to phone. It sounds way better with my laptop. Better if I connect with my Fiio E1 headphone amp, not the best.
Besides, I am getting irritated handling the 10 ft cable from M20x(non detachable) when listening to music while traveling.
So, the options are:

1. Go with better (in ear) earphones with impedence around 16 ohms
Pros: Easy to handle, lower weight, smaller cables to handle, easy to drive from samsung
cons: Still the sound will not be the quality i expect.
Earphones considered: 1more triple driver (32 ohms), ATH E40, Shure SE215.

2. Go for Fiio A5 & Keep existing M20x
Pros: Better sound from my existing cans.
Cons: Have additional amp to handle, besides my current issue of loooong cable and slightly poor sound.

3. Wait for few more years, save money and buy Audeze isine 10 to solve all problems?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Barath
Old 5th April 2017, 11:13   #255
BHPian

I've owned a pair of Bose Quietcomfort 15s for almost 9 years. I remember getting them for around $250 from the US. They are used every day and they still work like new.

Advantages:
  • Extremely good sound quality. I listen to all kinds of music (rock, rap, electronica) and everything sounds just right.
  • Terrific noise cancelling. I've always worked in an open office setup and the QCs cut off a lot of background noise. Works best in cutting of sounds of blowers, air conditioners. They are absolutely phenomenal in reducing noise on flights. I often keep them on with no music in the office to get some peace and quiet.
  • Detachable aux cord. They detach when yanked which prevents damage. You can also detach the cord when you just want Noise Cancelling.
  • Comfy. You can wear them for hours with no discomfort.
  • Fabulous build quality. They have lasted for almost 9 years and are still going strong. I've replaced the earcup cushions twice (just shows how much I use them ). You can buy spare earcup cushions separately and just replace the old ones. Takes 2 minutes to do.

Minor complaints:
  • Doesn't work without a AAA battery. You can't even listen to music. Battery life is around 30 hours. I've often left the noise cancelling on overnight and drained the battery. Rechargeable AAA batteries are the way to go with the QC15s. I use Panasonic Eneloops which are extremely good.
  • Feels odd when you turn on Noise Cancelling for the first time. The sensation is slightly like being underwater. You get used to that very quickly.
  • Slight pressure build up around the ears due to the over the ear design and noise cancelling. I usually lift off the headphones for a few seconds after wearing them for an hour or so to let my ears breathe.

I think these headphones are the best $250 I've ever spent. A lot of folks think QCs are expensive but given their performance and longevity, I wouldn't hesitate in buying one. They are worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Headphones Thread-img_3975.jpg  

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 5th April 2017 at 11:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks