Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 10:47   #6511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
No the lease time is still 3 hrs as I see the counter going on. Also when I move around with my laptop, I have to login in the new WiFi each time. But I still may be wrong. Or as Carboy has said, it may be due to the new feature- multipath TCP (I am not not much familiar about networks).
Multipath TCP is nothing but the ability to send data packets via multiple interfaces (3G, Wi-Fi etc.). for example, i'm browsing Team-BHP using the app on my home Wi-Fi network and suddenly there is a power failure and my router shuts down. using MPTCP, iOS 7 will seamlessly connect to the Team-BHP server and allow me to continue doing what i was doing on the app using alternative interfaces i.e. GPRS or 3G (and 4G if available).

if you've noticed in iOS 6, when switching over from a Wi-Fi network to a cellular network the Team-BHP app would often display a Connection Timeout error. i've rarely seen that on iOS 7 (unless i don't have cellular network too). this could be MPTCP in play.

now here's a test you could do - connect to your Wi-Fi network from your phone, check the the counter is running on the router and then switch off (not disconnect) WiFi on your phone. wait until the counter expires (and then some) and then switch on the WiFi on your phone and see if your phone connects automatically to the network.

when you first connect to the network, the DHCP server on your router assigns an address and your phone gets connected to the network. the CLT (Client Lease Time) is 3hrs. however, when it reaches the midway mark (1.5hrs), your phone enters renewal period for the leased address and the address is renewed for another 3hrs (counter reset).

however, if you were to switch off your WiFi (after initially connecting to the router) and don't activate it for lets say 4hrs and then try to connect to the network, it would definitely ask for your credentials because there was never a renewal process of the lease time and the router, as it should, terminated your connection to it

remember, your phone might support MPTCP, but your router may not (MPTCP is an ongoing effort, so i'm guessing current routers are not equipped with this feature as yet).

fact: did you know that the operating system used in Cisco routers is also known as IOS? Internetwork Operating System

ps: sorry for getting carried away *green grinning fella*

Last edited by IronH4WK : 24th October 2013 at 11:12.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:01   #6512
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that is some knowledge, thanks. Will try out what you described and post the results.

Btw I have also experienced this seamless transition from WiFi to 3G (wifi signal strength in my room and it keeps fluctuating). I had never noticed it earlier.
Old 26th October 2013, 08:47   #6513
BHPian

I used PhoneClean to free up space on my iPhone 4S - http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

I usually don't keep any junk on my phone. I remove and add apps that take too much of space on a regular basis. In spite of this, I got back over 700 MB of space with this application.

I've 1.92 GB of "Others" in my phone. One of these days, I'll restore the phone and this should come down to about 700 MB.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 26th October 2013 at 08:53.
Old 27th October 2013, 14:02   #6514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Spec wise how different is IP4 from IP4S. I am not talking about the on paper specs. Looking at the price IP4s is still going for 38.5k.
My friend recently got a fresh iPhone 4S from apple US, he got it replaced as his 4S was not charging when it's ON. He already bought Lumia 920 and now planning to sell his 4s for 29k
Old 29th October 2013, 15:11   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
My friend recently got a fresh iPhone 4S from apple US, he got it replaced as his 4S was not charging when it's ON. He already bought Lumia 920 and now planning to sell his 4s for 29k
Hi,

Arunshek, quick question, is this 4S locked or factory unlocked, let me know , I will be interested if it is an unlocked model.

Regards,
Jimmy
Old 29th October 2013, 15:18   #6516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi,

Arunshek, quick question, is this 4S locked or factory unlocked, let me know , I will be interested if it is an unlocked model.

Regards,
Jimmy
The price of the iPhone 4S was reduced to 31.5K two weeks ago. Whether its actually available in stores, that I'm not sure of.
Old 29th October 2013, 15:22   #6517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
The price of the iPhone 4S was reduced to 31.5K two weeks ago. Whether its actually available in stores, that I'm not sure of.
Hello Recompose.

Thanks for this info, I have been tracking the iphone prices as my sister wants one, if the price is negotiable then I will check out the piece.

I missed the offers on Amazon when iphone 4 was retailing for 18k last week.
Old 30th October 2013, 02:15   #6518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi,

Regards,
Jimmy
It's factory unlocked. I've PMed you the details, as well as the contact info.
Old 1st November 2013, 13:50   #6519
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone verify if this is true or a hoax?
If true,i can already see long queues outside a reliance showroom.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...-report-440270
Old 1st November 2013, 14:14   #6520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Can anyone verify if this is true or a hoax?
If true,i can already see long queues outside a reliance showroom.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...-report-440270
It is not a pure contract model as followed in the west. The EMI schemes already existing in the market have been cleverly disguised as contract plan.

Am sure that you'll need a fully loaded credit card to be able to avail the benefit. Rcom will only act as a facilitator. The good part is that Rcom is planning to offer free unlimited data, voice and text along the 2 year contract period.

Lets wait and watch the fun that unfolds tonight.

If only it turns out that Rcom is gonna offer the pure contract model, am sure it is gonna burn its fingers quite badly.
Old 2nd November 2013, 18:14   #6521
BHPian

Finally got the 5S 32GB in Gold .

Had to go mall hopping all over Chennai to get it in Gold.
Apparently, it has been sold out in all places almost immediately.
Silver and Space Gray is readily available almost everywhere.

Looks and feels awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-wp_20131102_015.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2013, 19:03   #6522
BHPian

How much does the iPhone 5s 24k gold edition cost. It's a limited edition. I'm not talking about the regular gold colour.
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:50   #6523
BHPian

Did anyone in mumbai buy an Iphone from the launch sale held at the Inorbit parking lot?had seen member i<3turbo's f30in the parking lot!

Last edited by dean5545 : 2nd November 2013 at 21:01.
Old 5th November 2013, 17:30   #6524
BHPian

Howdy Folks!

Need a recommendation for a good case. For the iPhone 5S.

Looking for cases that are soft, and won't scratch the aluminium on the sides.

Leather is not my preferred choice, and would prefer to avoid something that adds a massive bulk to the phone.

Any pointers? Price is not too much of a concern, as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The cases made by Apple for the 5S are not available yet, so looking for a temporary case.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Old 5th November 2013, 17:35   #6525
BHPian

There are many cases available online and in malls, check and see what you like.

Good and protective cases are a must IMHO for an expensive phone, but to be honest very few are willing to spend the money on a protective case/cover for the phone even though they are willing to spend multiple times on the phone itself.

Ahh and one more thing -- Apple doesnt makes any cases, they are made by other product manufacturers, for iphone 5S buy any case which is suitable for 5, its same dimensions isnt it.

Last edited by invincible7 : 5th November 2013 at 17:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks