Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 15:41   #9136
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
One question I have, whenever iOS is available for the public, (Expected this fall) how are we, the beta users, supposed to upgrade the phone to iOS10? Would it be shown as an update as well?

drive_angry
The final update or the golden copy update for beta testers and the final release are most often the same. If not they will have a different build numbering.

Yes you can update just like you normally update the iOS to the standard release, to be doubly sure. I would also suggest a clean install, whenever there is a major update in OS, just to clear out any junk that was carried forward from the previous versions.
Old 4th August 2016, 19:10   #9137

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Updated my 5S, its a bit flashy and i've gotten used to the earlier interface much more than I'd like to admit. Also the messages app is a mess now. Too many things like gestures, emojis etc. But phone seems faster than before.

Thanks blackwasp.
Agree. It is flashy and will take some time for us to get used to it.
Just updated to Public Beta 3 and my iPhone 6+ seems faster than the previous version.

You facing any heating issues while charging?
Old 4th August 2016, 19:19   #9138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would also suggest a clean install, whenever there is a major update in OS, just to clear out any junk that was carried forward from the previous versions.
Thanks Jaggu

Can you please elaborate on the 'clean install'.

This is just for the benefit of the iPhone users who wish to try out the ios 10 Public Beta update:

iOS 10 Public Beta - How To Install?

iOS 10 Developer Beta 1

iOS 10 Developer Beta 2 a.k.a. iOS 10 Public Beta 1

iOS 10 Developer Beta 3 a.k.a. iOS 10 Public Beta 2

iOS 10 Developer Beta 4 a.k.a. iOS 10 Public Beta 3

And, if you don't like the Public Beta... How To Uninstall/Downgrade iOS 10 to iOS 9

Last edited by SDP : 4th August 2016 at 19:47. Reason: merging back to back posts
Old 4th August 2016, 20:08   #9139
Team-BHP Support

I find the upper part/screen of my iPhone 5S being a bit loose. No falls/drops. It is close to 7 months old. Can I get a replacement? I have the bill.
Old 4th August 2016, 20:47   #9140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I find the upper part/screen of my iPhone 5S being a bit loose. No falls/drops. It is close to 7 months old. Can I get a replacement? I have the bill.

Mine too has that specific problem. If I just press it, it caves in a bit and releases back once I ease off the pressure. However, mine's getting 3 years old in a few months. Try for replacement with Apple.
Old 4th August 2016, 20:52   #9141
BHPian

Quote:

I had the same problem with my iphone 6. Apple replaced it in a day for me. Go ahead and visit an apple authorised service provider.
Old 4th August 2016, 21:51   #9142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean502 View Post

You facing any heating issues while charging?

No heating issues yet, it gets warm as usual. Nothing new.

Also, would like to share the improved battery performance. I was shocked! This is more than I expected.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1470327603.711385.jpg

8+ hrs of usage time is a lot! Considering I have a heavy use and require a mid day charging as well, Since upgrading to iOS 10, this has almost reduced my charging to once a day.
Old 4th August 2016, 21:58   #9143
Senior - BHPian

Decision time. My 15 month old iPhone 6 is now dead courtesy water ingress six months back. I have the following options:
a. iPhone 6 (replacement by Apple) - 90 days warranty on giving old phone - 24.5k
b. iPhone 6s in Sept once 7 is announced - 1 yr warranty - ~46k
c. iPhone 7 on launch - 1 yr warranty - ~57k or so going by iPhone 6s price history.
d. iPhone 6 in Sept once 7 is announced - 1 yr warranty - ~32k
(all 16 GB)
Having burned my hands and in the interest of domestic world peace, I'm thinking (a). IMHO Apple phones rarely need warranty repair within one year. Bad luck like water damage can happen anytime - nothing will work in that case.

What would you all do? Thx in advance for reading / replying.
I'm currently using my Redmi Note3 which is nice, but the camera and speakers are horrible, and it has its android quirks (i love iOS despite some crappy features). Except the camera, its not like I cannot get things done on a daily basis - far from it But iOS lust sees no logic.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:42   #9144
BHPian

Quote:
Similar issue on my 5S on the right edge of the screen. Took it to the authorised centre and he dismissed as an after-effect of a drop (there were dents on my phone). But I hadn't noticed this until very recently while the drops had happened in the second month of my usage.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:49   #9145
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Decision time.a. iPhone 6 (replacement by Apple) - 90 days warranty on giving old phone - 24.5k.
This is what I would do. I used my apple phone 4 for five years before switching to a 6 plus. That is my yard stick for rotation and money value. Had paid 42k for the iPhone 4 in 2010 and ~1000$ for the 6 plus in 2015 (with apple care)
Old 5th August 2016, 11:07   #9146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Decision time. My 15 month old iPhone 6 is now dead courtesy water ingress six months back. I have the following options:
Going by posts about iOS 10, looks like even iPhone 6 misses out on some updates due to the older processor.

Not sure how strongly the economics will affect your purchase but if you'd like to get the most of iOS going forward, at least get the 6s.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:36   #9147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean502 View Post
Thanks Jaggu

Can you please elaborate on the 'clean install'.
Hi basically one needs to wipe the phone clean with a restore to the new iOS. Detailed steps are given in the following link.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-clean-i...-links-1525476
Old 6th August 2016, 22:00   #9148
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
One billion iPhones in all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Just to put things in perspective,
Thats about 35 iPhones a second season since launch.
Apple may be making merry at the world level, but it looks like iPhones are getting crushed by the Android juggernaut in India, which is quite surprising:

The iPhone Thread-screenshot_20160806170725.jpg

Source: Strategy Analytics

It's even more suprising (shocking, in fact!) that the smartphone OS battle has completely become a two horse race. All others have been literally wiped out!

Last edited by RSR : 6th August 2016 at 22:09.
Old 6th August 2016, 23:18   #9149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Apple may be making merry at the world level, but it looks like iPhones are getting crushed by the Android juggernaut in India, which is quite surprising:

Source: Strategy Analytics

It's even more suprising (shocking, in fact!) that the smartphone OS battle has completely become a two horse race. All others have been literally wiped out!
Considering Apple has only a handful of varieties of phones it is not fair to compare the sales figures with that of android. Android has thousand of different phones at different price levels. I guess comparing iphones sales with sales of flagship devices of different brands would yield interesting results.

Last edited by Pancham : 6th August 2016 at 23:19.
Old 10th August 2016, 13:49   #9150
Senior - BHPian

Finally took the plunge and ordered an iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB from Flipkart.
Price: Rs.48999/-
2% Off: Rs.1000/-
Exchange for 1st Gen Moto E: Rs.4000/-
10% Off on HDFC Cards: Rs.1500/-
Discount Equivalent to EMI interest (2 years): Rs.6196/-
Effective Price: Rs.36303/-

Pick up charge: Rs.50/-
Interest on EMI: Rs.6196/-

Final Cost: Rs.42549/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks