Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:34   #11341
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Have you tried the Sleep score app from ResMed. They claim 98% accuracy compared to a full sleep apnea test.

Thanks for the recommendation friend. I'll give it a try tonight itself
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:14   #11342
Team-BHP Support

The new iPhones exhibit issues with charging over the lightning cable!
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:54   #11343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The new iPhones exhibit issues with charging over the lightning cable!
And it has been fixed in iOS 12.1 beta already which will be out soon. Oops!
https://www.cultofmac.com/580852/ios...-problems-fix/

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd October 2018 at 18:30. Reason: Removed the quoted video.
Old 3rd October 2018, 19:45   #11344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And it has been fixed in iOS 12.1 beta already which will be out soon. Oops!
Great.

I don't think something as basic as phone charging should have been an issue with such expensive hardware in the first place, but then it happens - we had Samsung phones exploding long after they seemed to have mastered it.

Good if Apple has acted on customer feedback so quickly. The video is only a couple of days old.
Old 4th October 2018, 08:50   #11345
Team-BHP Support

Anyone running iOS 12 on the 5s? My wife's phone has been heating tremendously (towards the back, just below the camera) if there's even two/three apps being used concurrently.
Old 4th October 2018, 08:56   #11346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Anyone running iOS 12 on the 5s? My wife's phone has been heating tremendously (towards the back, just below the camera) if there's even two/three apps being used concurrently.
Have you updated it recently (last few days)? If yes give it a week or so and it will be okay. If not, restore is as a new iPhone via iTunes.
Old 4th October 2018, 09:10   #11347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Great.

I don't think something as basic as phone charging should have been an issue with such expensive hardware in the first place, but then it happens - we had Samsung phones exploding long after they seemed to have mastered it.

Good if Apple has acted on customer feedback so quickly. The video is only a couple of days old.
The video you shared has been credited hugely across the world for getting Apple to act on it; although they still haven't publicly acknowledged the issue. They clearly knew about it; else the fix wouldn't have been done so fast.

But more than the issue, the fact that a newly launched model has such a critical bug shows where Apple is heading. There are a ton of vlogs and articles by serious reviewers who are all saying the same thing - things are not right at Apple currently; they are losing the plot and possibly going the Steve Ballmer route.
Old 4th October 2018, 09:11   #11348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Have you updated it recently (last few days)? If yes give it a week or so and it will be okay. If not, restore is as a new iPhone via iTunes.
I updated the phone a couple of minutes after the update was out Indexing should be done by now I guess. The phone is closing in on three years.
Old 4th October 2018, 09:59   #11349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I updated the phone a couple of minutes after the update was out Indexing should be done by now I guess. The phone is closing in on three years.
My 4 years old 5S is still going strong and it is on iOS 10; still works as a charm.

These things lasts!
Old 4th October 2018, 10:06   #11350
Distinguished - BHPian

I replaced my 2.5 year old 5S with a SE. Earlier, the 5S was a replacement for a 3 year old iP5. All the phones were stock, without any part replacement and were niggle free till they were exchanged. They were replaced as the battery started giving up due to heavy call usage. With the same design and form factor, one can say, I have been using the same phone for 5.5 years now.

Currently my SE is running on iOS 11.4.1. Had put off the upgrade to 12 as my past experience tells me the initial versions have bugs which are ironed out in quick updates. However I don't any major issue with 12. Should I go ahead and update it? My wife's iP 7 Plus is also on the old iOS for now.
Old 4th October 2018, 10:29   #11351
Senior - BHPian

The newer products does not seem to have the quality of build as the earlier ones. 6S is bend slightly (very slightly, but enough for Apple support to say it is bend and battery replacement might not work!!!), though I never place it in my back pocket.

The 8 has issues with its speakers; need to get it fixed.

Not just the 5S, my older 4S is still going strong, albeit it is now in storage with a quarterly battery charge and start up. Same thing with a second generation iPod Touch, which still does its duty in my FJ (meaning, it gets to jump around a lot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
... However I don't any major issue with 12. Should I go ahead and update it? My wife's iP 7 Plus is also on the old iOS for now.
I do not update unless I face an issue, or the phone slows down or starts acting up. Wifes' 7+ does that when a new update comes in and it is not updated!!!

Or you want to experience a new feature in the released OS.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 4th October 2018 at 10:31.
Old 4th October 2018, 11:19   #11352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Currently my SE is running on iOS 11.4.1. Had put off the upgrade to 12 as my past experience tells me the initial versions have bugs which are ironed out in quick updates. However I don't any major issue with 12. Should I go ahead and update it? My wife's iP 7 Plus is also on the old iOS for now.
Same here. Never felt the need; I'm happy with the iOS 11 version. If same is the case for you, why change?

Edit: Just checked; my 5S is still on 10.2.1!

Plus with Apple admitting it's "throttled" the battery life on older models; why take the risk of that happening to a working phone with a satisfactory OS version

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th October 2018 at 11:22.
Old 4th October 2018, 12:54   #11353
BHPian

Quote:
My wife's phone has been heating tremendously (towards the back, just below the camera) if there's even two/three apps being used concurrently.

These seem like signs of a faulty battery. Is the phone connecting to itunes? Why I ask is, I've had one 5s in the past that turned out to be water damaged ( the damage was traced to an incident 11 months ago) and was working fine, till I tried to connect it to iTunes for a Photo Gallery Backup.
Just a hunch.
Else like others suggested, try a fresh install and see if the problem is replicated.
Old 4th October 2018, 15:00   #11354
BHPian

Quote:
Had put off the upgrade to 12 as my past experience tells me the initial versions have bugs which are ironed out in quick updates. However I don't any major issue with 12. Should I go ahead and update it? My wife's iP 7 Plus is also on the old iOS for now.
Unlike iOS 11, iOS 12 was almost bug free even during the early beta phase. I was on the beta on my 7 Plus and is now on the final release. The phone runs smoother with no perceptible difference in battery life.

iOS 12 is supposed to speed up older iPhones. There's a lot of comparison videos on youtube. Like this one:
Old 6th October 2018, 09:45   #11355
Senior - BHPian

Heating is a sign of battery at the end of its life cycle. It's worth replacing it and using the phone. 5S is quite robust and will last you a decade easily.

Quote:
My wife's phone has been heating tremendously (towards the back, just below the camera) if there are even two/three apps being used concurrently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks