Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 11:59   #12076
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
It is Android OS that is a system hog, which is why the highly specced hardware is essential. The iphone 6s works equally efficient as an iPhone XS on iOs12.
I beg to differ. I am using the Pixel XL since 3 years now with 3 different versions of Android and I have the same performance since day 1. I have reset my phone exactly once because I had to get a battery replacement done.

It depends on the manufacturer and the kind of Android build you get. The freedom that manufacturers have with Android can sometimes create more problems than it resolves.

A couple of friends using various OnePlus phones also have the same experience. A good android build will keep your phone running smoothly for a long time. A bad one will kill your device.

Aniket
Old 17th September 2019, 12:05   #12077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Have you ever seen such proselytizing by iPhone users in Android forums?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
No proselytizing by iPhone users at all because they are a content lot. LOL.

Not sure about online, but me and wife have forcibly converted her sister, by gifting her an iPhone when she was due to deliver a baby, few years back. The co-brother caved in after a few months and they too are Apple Campers.

And absolutely agree about iPhone's being costly only on paper. For the 'Proud and Prejudiced' fashion and socially conscious people, it may be necessary to own the latest and the greatest( and they would get top dollars for selling their year old devices), but someone like my Gym Trainer, he got a 7 from the used phones market and is content with it. His main reason for the switch,was an 'unmatched experience of Instagram' over his previous Android.
Even I was considering a used 10 to tide me over till next year or 2, but considering I bill it to my company, it is not making any sense to buy in Cash.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 17th September 2019 at 12:07.
Old 17th September 2019, 12:06   #12078
Senior - BHPian

40K? Is that all a used X will fetch in India? Thats too low. I think I'll buy yours. Price at launch was 1,10,000. I was at iPlanet a day back, and the price was still the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I will convince myself with following calculation: 40k (resale of X) + 10k (Cashback) and spend from my end of 49k. Yes I already have a buyer for the X
Old 17th September 2019, 12:15   #12079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let us compare one plus to one plus on launch day price. They were superb VFM when they were under 20k, became ok ish in 30's, started becoming expensive at 40 and now and am talking about top spec. I also am a fan of one plus just like apple and both are taking us for a ride on price front.
I agree the OP Top spec is priced very high. But a comparable iPhone is priced twice that (forget the outdated specs which you get in an iPhone like lower RAM, lower quality display and so on)
Old 17th September 2019, 12:29   #12080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
40K? Is that all a used X will fetch in India? Thats too low. I think I'll buy yours. Price at launch was 1,10,000. I was at iPlanet a day back, and the price was still the same.
He is a dear friends or i should get 10k more realistically. But preferred to give this off to someone known since it is mint condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I agree the OP Top spec is priced very high. But a comparable iPhone is priced twice that (forget the outdated specs which you get in an iPhone like lower RAM, lower quality display and so on)
RAM part is a big grey area if you ask me, at the end of the day how perform matters most. Display well I prefer to go with the top end models, so not an issue but yes spec to spec may be lesser. For me the user experience has been A+ and that is why I stick to apple.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th September 2019 at 12:32.
Old 17th September 2019, 12:52   #12081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RAM part is a big grey area if you ask me, at the end of the day how perform matters most. Display well I prefer to go with the top end models, so not an issue but yes spec to spec may be lesser. For me the user experience has been A+ and that is why I stick to apple.
I am honestly not the right person to comment on the iPhone. I never used the product when it was affordable and will never buy one at their current pricing strategy. Not to mention the infinite service revenue which they continue to extract from you. I know the UI is seamless for Apple and you get life-time upgrades, but Oxygen OS is as good. Even for other phones, the Nova Launcher can actually make the experience go two notches above.

I dont agree with Apple at a philosophy level where they disregard the consumer and assume all users to be dumb.
  • No headphone jack, everyone buy our expensive ear-ring shaped earphones, which have to be charged seperately
  • Lightening port, because apple users have a lot of patience and dont need the fast charging
  • 1 Lakh pricing (kidneys?), 5K-10K mobile covers, because our products are so fragile that if you break them, you will have to donate the other kidney
  • We will control how the product uses battery and the speed at which our devices perform without letting the user know, again, because the users are dumb and cant decide how they want to use the product.
Look at how Nokia was even during their hay days. A humble organization which experimented with great designs (NGAGE, 7601, etc). Apple has not brought any innovation to the market in the last 3 years. All they have done is, make the walls of the garden taller with their ecosystem play. Which is a business strategy, a good one, but dont know if it is in the best interest of the user.

Sorry for the long anti-apple rant (all emotions directed to Apple and not anyone here in the forum)
Old 17th September 2019, 13:28   #12082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I am honestly not the right person to comment on the iPhone. I never used the product when it was affordable and will never buy one at their current pricing strategy.
So I guess we can end the conversation here but there are many misleading points mentioned.

Quote:
I dont agree with Apple at a philosophy level where they disregard the consumer and assume all users to be dumb.
Even I don't agree to the pricing, philosophy, designing it for a closed ecosystem, though that closed system has its advantages and edge.

Quote:
[*]No headphone jack, everyone buy our expensive ear-ring shaped earphones, which have to be charged seperately
There is a simple attachment that can help connect any normal wired headphone, inside the pack.

Quote:
[*]Lightening port, because apple users have a lot of patience and dont need the fast charging
Again do check, newer phones have it since model X.

Quote:
[*]1 Lakh pricing (kidneys?), 5K-10K mobile covers, because our products are so fragile that if you break them, you will have to donate the other kidney
Cash back and deals for new phones, and covers you get much better spec and cheaper price on amazon.

Quote:
[*]We will control how the product uses battery and the speed at which our devices perform without letting the user know, again, because the users are dumb and cant decide how they want to use the product.
I really don't see a point here, for a normal user, androids also does not provide any such control. If you are speaking about battery stats, it is again available on iOS since some time.

Quote:
Sorry for the long anti-apple rant (all emotions directed to Apple and not anyone here in the forum)
Have just tried to correct some of the views and nothing personal from my side also.
Old 17th September 2019, 14:00   #12083
BHPian

What I actually feel is apple somehow know what consumer would frequently use and like in the device rather than adding gimmicks which androids offer (not all).

I was a Samsung Note fan till Note 8 however, the new features in Samsung Note 10 are probably so forgettable that in real life a person may not even feel the use to have such a gimmick, even all the tech experts have mentioned that.

iPhones are intuitive and that is the most important part from a users perspective , the IOS has no parallel and the hardware and software are so well integrated that today also, the iPhone's previous model work flawlessly .

That said, the only android product I like (and have) is one plus , I use it daily , is a humble device and does everything swiftly. Have said Bye bye to Samsung, owing to their poor interface, bloatware and degrading speeds overtime.

I am contemplating the purchase of an iPhone soon and am more inclined towards the iPhone 11, thought of Xr as well however, since its not much of a difference, 11 seems more future proof.

The debate shall carry on for ages, all I wanted was apple products to get cheaper, however, the opposite happened and androids have become more expensive lately, and sad to see One Plus joining this party.

For me the feel of the device and security it offers is imminent since it stays with you the entire day, thus apple wins hands down in this area.

One more thing, I have seen very , very sad resale value of the androids lately, don't know why . A Note 8 i purchased for around 65k was sold for 19500 after around 14 months, thats seriously sad. Probably , learning comes at a price.

Last edited by NST440 : 17th September 2019 at 14:04.
Old 17th September 2019, 14:23   #12084
BHPian

The thing about Apple that many users forget is that they give regular free updates on the software side. Almost 5 year old iPhone is still being upgraded to latest iOS 13. Everyone with 6s raise hands.

Lets come to integrations now - I use iCloud to primaryl back photos & ebooks. Beauty of this from my perspective is that all photos & books are readily available across my Apple devices. Why I like Apple integration? Thats because I can access photos & books in their respective apps and not have to open any other app, from my experience perspective this is butter smooth.

In my 20s I used to use Android but in my 30s don't have time to play with Android complexities instead need something that just works and gives me best experience.

Also did I go into my most favourite feature - anything I am reading on Safari on iPhone is available to me across iPad, MAC etc.

Finally phone just works all the time - rarely any lags or freezes with simple UI. I am paying more for the experience and not just the hardware.

On its own hardware wise iPhones cost more than Android phones but in terms of ecosystem convenience Apple is not that costly!

Last edited by heydj : 17th September 2019 at 14:25.
Old 17th September 2019, 14:42   #12085
Senior - BHPian

I think iPhone is a great value for a non-keeda user. As long as you are content with the utilities provided by the phone, the premium paid to an iPhone is worth it. With the dual sim operations, even that part of the consumers is now addressed by iPhone.

It is only when you start getting roadblocks in your expectations from a mobile or having to change your habits just because Apple commands it, then you should and must look at android. I was thoroughly frustrated by iPhone limitations and shifted to a Pixel, and couldn't have been happier. But still, I do recommend iPhones for normal users. At least, buying it is a straightforward decision, buy whichever fits your budget! Unlike android, where every week flagships are made and toppled.

Otherwise, the brand value commended by Apple can only be dreamt by android phone makers.
Old 17th September 2019, 15:06   #12086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketvu View Post
I beg to differ. I am using the Pixel XL since 3 years now with 3 different versions of Android and I have the same performance since day 1. I have reset my phone exactly once because I had to get a battery replacement done.

Aniket
Pixel XL? Really? A line of devices that is not just overpriced but over-over priced. Google killed the device because of their ridiculous pricing.

Another thing I have observed is people who have never used iPhones commenting on them as if they are next in line to Tim Cook. But sirs please look at the sales figures. iPhone sells. And that too very well even if it has a stupid LCD screen (which I think is pretty good). People in India could be brand conscious and may consider iPhones as a status symbol but in US it sells because of definite reasons.

For me and most iPhone users, none of the other Android devices hold a candles because of the following:

1. Amazing quality of service
2. User interface~iOS
3. Simplicity
4. The overall user experience starting from the design of the app icons to the fact that nothing slows down no matter how many apps you download.
5. Security- Many top banking corporations do not allow One Plus/other Android phones to be used as official work phones.
6. One of best cameras out there
7. Hardware quality

P.S: I switched from Apple to a One Plus in Dec 2017 but got back to Apple in May this year.

P.S.S: Comments made on a very light note. Almost as light as iOS.

Last edited by Pancham : 17th September 2019 at 15:09.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:09   #12087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post

In my 20s I used to use Android but in my 30s don't have time to play with Android complexities instead need something that just works and gives me best experience.
This! Very often I hear Android users say they have lot of freedom to customize their phones to their taste which is not the same in Apple but how often we spend time playing with customization options now? I mean when I was in my mid twenties I bought a HTC Desire which was the top Android at that time and spent numerous hours playing with its settings and got into rooting, custom ROMs, etc. This was repeated almost every time a stable custom ROM was released because I simply thought it was awesome to load new OS to my phone.

Fast forward 10 years - I now use my iPhone SE for WA, Insta, office mails, books and few apps apart from, of course, calls . I now care a damn about ringtones, wallpapers, animations, etc. I only want my phone to work and work fast whenever I pick it up and boy does it do that! I guess availability (smooth and fast working condition) of a phone is all that matters now and iPhone delivers it with aplomb even with a 4 year old phone and the best part is it's still supported for iOS 13

Not to mention the peace of mind when it comes to data privacy. The main reason I shifted from Android was almost all apps asking permission for contacts, sms, call logs! I mean why does a camera app need permission for call logs is beyond me.

I'm one of the few people who don't change things just for the sake of it. My 11 year old Swift petrol is a testament to this. Though I do get the urge to buy a new car/phone I ask myself what's wrong with the current ones and I won't get a reasonable answer. I replaced my iPhone 4S as it didn't support iOS 11 and that was needed for my office mails to work. I still use it for songs and videos for my kids. For me iPhones offer enormous value for money considering the longevity of them, user experience and peace of mind.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:28   #12088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Pixel XL? Really? A line of devices that is not just overpriced but over-over priced. Google killed the device because of their ridiculous pricing.
Pixel line is very much alive, and bought at the right price, IMHO it is the best integration of hardware and software. Google offers a 2 years global warranty as well, which I doubt whether apple offers (sans buying the extended warranty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
This! Very often I hear Android users say they have lot of freedom to customize their phones to their taste which is not the same in Apple but how often we spend time playing with customization options now?
It is not just customizing. I am using the same UI that Pixel 2 XL provided in the box. But simple things like getting songs not being bound to the crappy iTunes on windows, easily sharing photos or documents, or editing and sharing content freely without having to buy another app or even changing ringtones is a freedom that many seek. If someone never faced any limitations because of his use on iPhone, then it is the PERFECT device, bar none. The key difference is, Android lets you do almost anything you can think of, and iOS lets you do the things that Apple approves of. If one can't think beyond Apple's approval, he will be content on iPhone.

I find the lack of 3.5mm jack argument valid. It is equally frustrating on my Pixel to use the sole USB-C port with a connector with a regular headphone, because that's another thing to remember to carry. But that's the world we are heading into.

Quote:
...I mean why does a camera app need permission for call logs is beyond me.
I too was confounded by this, but the reasons are generally logical, as long as you are using well known apps. For example, access to phone may enable camera to send or assign pictures to contacts.

Quote:
I'm one of the few people who don't change things just for the sake of it. My 11 year old Swift petrol is a testament to this. Though I do get the urge to buy a new car/phone I ask myself what's wrong with the current ones and I won't get a reasonable answer.
Well, you get one life, so a question we should sometimes as is 'why not enjoy the best there is to offer once in a while, rather than being satisfied by something that keeps on working?'

Last edited by ani_meher : 17th September 2019 at 16:36.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:31   #12089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Are you me ?
I have used ZTE Blade (imported from UK via ebay or something) and some other android phones back in my 20s and used to do all sort of keeda of ROM change and widgets and what not. Now when I am in my 30s, i just want something which works all the time. My previous iPhone 4S and current 6S (using for last almost 4 years) is a testament to that. My next phone will also be an iPhone but not sure when since my 6S still works like day 1 (battery changed once) and is plenty fast and does everything I want.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:34   #12090
BHPian

Is it safe to assume, that most iPhone users here,are above 30 years of age. Rather the haters/ anti-iOs/RAM boasters are in their 20's . I am 43.

P.S. Regarding past usage, my wildest one was an E-ten M500 Pocket PC sourced from Singapore and UK. It happened so that I told 2 friends to buy 1 for me and both the idiots landed up buying on the same day. I had to sell one device for a huge loss as the device was practically unknown in India.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 17th September 2019 at 16:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks