Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 06:32   #13096
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am planning to sell off my DSLR and lenses. Have got no time for it now nor do I want to lug it around. A good smartphone cam serves most of the clicking. So the 11 is in contention.
Not sure if iPhone matches DSLR quality, but the pictures are close to what you see in real. That’s one reason that I got back to iPhone (11 pro) after my Pixel 2 XL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
He wanted the iPhone just to capture the true colours of his products, which no phone ever produces ( he was using a 1+). So feel happy iPhone users :-)
This is so true. My cousin worked as an Asst. Director in a Malayalam movie, and among the assistants costume and make-up continuity management was her responsibility because she had an iPhone X
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 20:03   #13097
Senior - BHPian

Quirks of the dual SIM iPhones and that E-SIM. It's a really meandering process to get an E-SIM, ideally it must be made online instead of asking the customer already with the SIM asked to prove once again his identity. I spent the best part of the day, last evening and this afternoon, trying to find a Jio Store close to home: there were a few but they have downed shutters permanently due to Covid ?? Next the new Phones don't come with a wall adapter: Apple wants to make money by hook or C(r)ook. I went to Future World store close to home and asked for a wall adapter for the iPhone 11 they gave me a USB adapter and found out after returning home it's USB not USB-C and went back to the store gave them a piece of my mind and they gave the 18W USB-C charger (Rs 2900) in lieu of the USB charger after I made them realise that 50% of the blame is on me but they're making me to bear 100% of the cost by not allowing me to return the product and exchange it for the right one. Lessons learnt: No E-SIM for developing countries like ours, Apple please include a charger in the case. Don't make us run around for this. Incidentally the Phone was for my wife...
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 20:37   #13098
Senior - BHPian

The new standard. iPhone 12
Old 20th October 2020, 20:45   #13099
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Don't make us run around for this. Incidentally the Phone was for my wife...

Funnily, everyone including me, cursed Apple all this while for providing a puny 5w charger which nobody was using anyway to charge. I think Apple got offended and took the adapter out altogether. 😄

On a serious note, missing wall adapter is a bummer.

Btw, Apple's own wall adapter (fast charger-20w) costs INR 1900 which I think is reasonably priced. Did you buy just the adapter for 2900?

EDIT: I just remembered, iPhone 11 Pro was being provided with a fast charger in the box.

Last edited by Pancham : 20th October 2020 at 20:50.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:37   #13100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Funnily, everyone including me, cursed Apple all this while for providing a puny 5w charger which nobody was using anyway to charge. I think Apple got offended and took the adapter out altogether. 😄

On a serious note, missing wall adapter is a bummer.

Btw, Apple's own wall adapter (fast charger-20w) costs INR 1900 which I think is reasonably priced. Did you buy just the adapter for 2900?

EDIT: I just remembered, iPhone 11 Pro was being provided with a fast charger in the box.
It's the 18W USB-C adapter that's 2900, the USB-A wall adapter is 1700. Cable is already there in the box, may be will be removed in the next year
Old 20th October 2020, 22:57   #13101
Senior - BHPian

I bought the Apple original USB C adapter for 1900. It's listed on Apple India site
Quote:
It's the 18W USB-C adapter that's 2900, the USB-A wall adapter is 1700. Cable is already there in the box, may be will be removed in the next year
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 00:55   #13102
BHPian

I used to get the latest iPhone and use it for as long as possible before getting the iPhone 7 during the Diwali sale on Amazon for myself and my mom a year after its release as the price was very tempting. I assumed that I would eventually upgrade both phones after getting as much use out of them as possible but have now come up with a new upgrade plan that I think might be helpful for others on this forum.

This is how it goes; buy last year’s model during the Diwali sale, a year later buy the then current flagship (maybe even the Pro) and hand down the year-old phone to your parent/kid/significant other, repeat every three years.

2020 - Buy the iPhone 11.
2021 - Buy the then flagship iPhone 13/13 Pro. Hand down the iPhone 11.
2024 - Buy the iPhone 15 (then a year old). Hand down the iPhone 13/13 Pro. Retire the iPhone 11.
2025 - Buy the then flagship iPhone 17/17 Pro. Hand down the iPhone 15.
Repeat!

This way I get a new phone every three years and then again a year later (eventually getting an iPhone from every other generation), save money on the phone that gets handed down by buying the previous generation phone during the Diwali sale, and get value by getting four years out of both phones!
Old 21st October 2020, 07:26   #13103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quirks of the dual SIM iPhones and that E-SIM. It's a really meandering process to get an E-SIM, ideally it must be made online instead of asking the customer already with the SIM asked to prove once again his identity. I spent the best part of the day, last evening and this afternoon, trying to find a Jio Store close to home: there were a few but they have downed shutters permanently due to Covid ?? No E-SIM for developing countries like ours.

A little surprised that to hear you had trouble with E-sim. I bought my iPhone XR during the launch in 2018 Diwali purely because of the dual sim capabilities, let go off 2 iPhones and bought the XR purely for the dual sim. And way back in 2018 the whole esim thing was new for jio, so I did have a hard time running to the jio store many times. But I thought that was mainly due to the fact that they were not prepared for this in 2018, but subsequently this process seems to have become easier. I can recall 2 of my office colleagues getting the esim with no trouble at all.
Old 21st October 2020, 08:52   #13104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Anyone who has bought the iPhone 11 recently - did you check if the device is assembled in India or was it still China?

I had heard that the Foxconn plant at Chennai is going to be assembling the 11; the XR already was and I saw it from a friend's phone he had acquired before the lockdown.

Just asking out of curiosity. I am planning to sell off my DSLR and lenses. Have got no time for it now nor do I want to lug it around. A good smartphone cam serves most of the clicking. So the 11 is in contention.
Received the iPhone 11 on Monday from the Apple Store. It came in the new slim (and small) box with the cable only. As per the box, it is NOT made in India but imported from China. Also, the iPhone SE I got for my mother is assemble in China as well.

P.S: Back in 2017, when I got the 1st gen iPhone SE, I remember it was assembled in India.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:10   #13105
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Did you get free airpods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Received the iPhone 11 on Monday from the Apple Store
Old 21st October 2020, 11:18   #13106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Congrats. Did you get free airpods?

Yes. Bundle for 60k for the 128 gigs version.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:36   #13107
BHPian

Quote:
...Cable is already there in the box, may be will be removed in the next year
Well, that is the plan! Magsafe was introduced this year precisely for this reason.
Wireless charging and data transfer will be the norm with only the device being sold in the box. This way they create a new product line to sell to the consumers.

This is exactly what they did by removing earphones and now AirPods are a ~8billion business annually with every phone maker trying to get in.

All the other OEMs are currently mocking Apple but when they see the $$ pouring in they all run in the same direction.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:58   #13108
OmV
BHPian

Hey folks,
I am in a bit of a pickle. My partner dropped her 4 months old iPhone XR down the stairs and it smashed pretty badly. Since I have never bought the AppleCare personally in 12 years of owing iPhones, I had dissuaded her from getting AppleCare !
I believe AppleCare can only be bought within 30 days of purchase so no retrospective action is possible here.
Is there any advice to get out of this short of paying through the nose ?
“Accident” Pictures attached. Not for the faint hearted.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-19f8a0e22c634e8db92f92ae05262a45.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-67e5b24e4b304f51a5d94779749e1187.jpeg  

Old 21st October 2020, 12:58   #13109
BHPian

Hi Guys, this is regarding the e-sim.

What happens when you have activated the e-sim on one of the phones and now need to change the handset?

Like the physical sim can be easily removed and put in the new device. What's the process with e-sim?

Also, any good wireless fast chargers( 18w?) that you use for charging iPhone 11?
Old 21st October 2020, 13:41   #13110
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post

Also, any good wireless fast chargers( 18w?) that you use for charging iPhone 11?
All the iPhones prior to the 12 support only 7.5w wireless charging. Hence, there is no particular need for spending more for higher wattage chargers.

I have been using this for the past 6 months-

https://www.amazon.in/RAEGR-Qi-Certi...pcontext&psc=1

Though they have launched a cheaper alternative now-

https://www.amazon.in/RAEGR-Qi-Certi...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

It doesn't make much sense to get the Arc 500 over the 400, unless you really like the looks of the Arc 500. Other benefits of this brand are that they offer 1+1 year warranty(1 additional year post product registration) and are an Indian brand. Also, they are one of the few(if not the only) brands to offer a USB type C input for their chargers.

If you want something more suave/expensive, you can look for one of those Samsung options or can wait for the Apple Mag chargers to hit the market.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed