Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 11:45   #13081
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Just Ordered AIRPODS PRO @ Rs. 18,000 (Flipkart at Offer Price)
& IPHONE XR 64GB @ Rs.30,434 ( Flipkart at Offer Price plus Exchange old phone(-6500) )

My first Iphone & Airpods. Have been using Android phones till now. Had some queries...
Some people have already replied but here’s my experience.

1. Yes, any Qi certified charger will work. Look for Anker or any reputed company’s 15W or above charger.

2. Totally depends on the wattage of the charger, fast charger should not take more than an hour.

3. Yes, the same wireless charger for phone will work with AirPods Pro.

4. Yes, I use them more with my MacBook than iPhone. No issues switching between devices as well. The new chip is pretty intelligent.

Enjoy the ecosystem. Cheers!!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2020 at 11:53. Reason: Trimmed quote and fixed typos.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 12:46   #13082
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Just got delivery of my iPhone 11 much ahead of schedule. It was scheduled to be delivered on 24th October by Amazon but arrived a week earlier. I have forgotten by Apple ID Password & I can't seem to be figure out a way to reset it inspite of trying. My iCloud account may have been locked due to many attempts. I guess I'll just go to Apple showroom for help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
When you get the device go to the Apple Website and run the serial number to check warranty.
Serial number only becomes active once you've signed into new device using using your Apple ID, right?
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 17:39   #13083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I have forgotten by Apple ID Password & I can't seem to be figure out a way to reset it inspite of trying. My iCloud account may have been locked due to many attempts.
Check this out PPS.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201487

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:22   #13084
Senior - BHPian

Soon the Charger Brick will become a 'must order' accessory. Ordered a dual fast charger, a really tiny one, from Ausmo. Wanted the white one, but it's already out of stock
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_7647.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_7648.jpg  

Old 18th October 2020, 21:46   #13085
Team-BHP Support

Anyone who has bought the iPhone 11 recently - did you check if the device is assembled in India or was it still China?

I had heard that the Foxconn plant at Chennai is going to be assembling the 11; the XR already was and I saw it from a friend's phone he had acquired before the lockdown.

Just asking out of curiosity. I am planning to sell off my DSLR and lenses. Have got no time for it now nor do I want to lug it around. A good smartphone cam serves most of the clicking. So the 11 is in contention.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th October 2020 at 23:49. Reason: Typo.
Old 18th October 2020, 21:54   #13086
BHPian

Hi, I want to buy adapter for my Iphone XR as mine went bust recently. Is the 12W one available on Amazon good enough for charging it fast? Also, can I use this to charge my Apple watch?
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th October 2020, 23:09   #13087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Anyone who has bought the iPhone 11 recently - did you check if the device is assembled in India or was it still China?
A good question.
I have not purchased it but if you look at the product details e.g. on Amazon , country of origin unfortunately shows china. If you buy it from apple store you might get it the one assembled in India but better check with them via chat options to confirm.
Old 19th October 2020, 00:44   #13088
BHPian

Quote:
I had heard that the Foxconn plant at Chennai is going to be assembling the 11; the XR already was and I saw it from a friend's phone he had acquired before the lockdown.
So the 11 is in contention.
If you are keen in getting one, grab it quickly Ganesh!! The stocks at least for Bangalore location is sold out till Oct 25 for the 128gb version. The ones that got sold during the first 2 days the sale were probably the China made units as the EarPods and charger were in the box. Locally made 11 would probably not have them in the box as per Apple’s green policy. The Apple India online store also bundled AirPods with the phone for 59k which got sold out within few hours. Assuming those would have been China made ones.
Old 19th October 2020, 01:08   #13089
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Serial number of my iPhone 11 starts with 'G'OND, so i guess its from China.

Quote:
I had heard that the Foxconn plant at Chennai is going to be assembling the 11
Assembly started sometime in July.

Quote:
Just asking out of curiosity. I am planning to sell off my DSLR and lenses. Have got no time for it now nor do I want to lug it around. A good smartphone cam serves most of the clicking. So the 11 is in contention.
11 Pro has the better camera setup from what I read, but its now been discontinued. Maybe you can find one at a discount.
Old 19th October 2020, 12:35   #13090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update on the latest sale going on. Just picked up the iPhone SE for 21200 for my mother. Exchanged her 5 year old iPhone 6 and got 4800 back. To be honest, could not resist the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You'll get a far better price selling to a third party recycler like Cashify directly, can verify price by getting an online estimate on their site.
Many thanks sir for your suggestion. I had a rather unpleasant experience with FlipKart exchange on Saturday and Cashify turned out to be the savior.

So, I had ordered an iPhone SE for my mother on FK Big Billion Day and the delivery was scheduled for Monday (today). I had also enrolled my mother's old iPhone 6 (4-5 years old) for an exchange. FK offered INR 4.8K and I was game. The phone was nearing its life and soon I would have to spend around 3.5 to 4k on a new battery so there was no point holding it back.

I got a message for an early delivery on Saturday and I was quite happy. Weekday work from home is pretty hectic so I usually do my thing on Saturdays so I had to move around things a bit since I had to stay at home for the exchange to take place. I called the delivery guy to check - he said will come by 2pm. I requested him to come at 3pm and he agreed.

From 3pm his phone was either busy, or out of reach. He once picked up at 4pm, he said he will there at 5pm. Again, his phone was out of reach at 5:15. This went on till 7pm. I was supposed to go somewhere at 4:30pm so I was getting a bit irritated.

Now the exchange saga
He came around 7 and looked at the phone. Believe you me friends, when I took the phone from my mother even I was surprised because the phone was in such good condition. It was in a case all along and other the "case marks" the phone hardly had any dings. Yes, there was one small dent but it was really not visible. The guys also pointed out that the antenna line at the bottom of the phone was a bit wavy. Nevertheless, the guy showed me the dent and the antenna line and said Sir, exchange is not possible because of these issues.

I asked him if they expect someone would exchange a box condition phone for 4800 bucks. He only had one answer - "Sir, company policy." Then, he said "let me get my senior in 15 minutes. He can take a look". Another long wait. He went to get his senior who arrived and said the same thing. I decided to go ahead with the order and paid them cash. As per their company policy (as mentioned by these 2 fellas) only scratch-less, spotless phones are allowed for exchange. Yes they will pay you peanuts but the phone has to be as good as new.

Bottom-line - They wasted my entire Saturday. I kept waiting for them and finally, when they came they blatantly decided to not accept the phone.

I remembered Chetan sir's suggestion and I checked with Cashify just in case they offered something for this poor old device. They quoted INR 4820 for the phone on Sunday. They came today, did a full inspection and pointed out one small scratch on the screen and that the screen might start showing spots. To be honest I could not see any spots on the screen but once he showed me I could see the top end of the screen had turned slightly black. He offered INR 4400 and I was like, 'bleh, okay', I was happy. I just wanted to get rid of the phone and after the FK experience this guy was kind of Godsend. They UPI-ed me the funds immediately and I erased my phone completely before handing over.

Overall, happy with the experience. Thank you Chetan sir for the tip.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with either brands mentioned above other than one of them has my phone now and probably, all my mother's contacts and Whatspp forwards.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th October 2020 at 12:58.
Pancham is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:08   #13091
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I tried it but my iCloud account is locked & I don't remember my Apple ID password. So only option is account recovery which will take several days I'm told! Was on the phone for an hour with the Apple Tollfree. They were not well informed. What I plan to do is continue using my old 6s till the account gets recovered. I was told over the phone that my individual apps like whatsapp,hotmail,etc will continue working till the recovery is complete. But I'm unsure whether this account recovery should be done from iPhone or on my laptop as below link states otherwise.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204921

Also, does anyone have any experience how many days this account recovery takes? Mine is a 5gb account which is full.

Quote:
did a full inspection and pointed out one small scratch on the screen and that the screen might start showing spots. They UPI-ed me the funds immediately and I erased my phone completely before handing over.
I also plan to do the same with 6s but there are prominent black spots on the screen! Don't they pay cash on the spot ? What if one doesn't have a UPI based app?

Last edited by PPS : 19th October 2020 at 16:12.
Old 19th October 2020, 16:27   #13092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I also plan to do the same with 6s but there are prominent black spots on the screen! Don't they pay cash on the spot ? What if one doesn't have a UPI based app?

I don't recall the cash option but I think they do pay in cash. Otherwise, they have all the other options that you can think of. They even pay in FK and Amazon vouchers if you want. The amount is around 15% higher if you choose that option.
Old 19th October 2020, 16:48   #13093
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not good in photography, so not the right person to comment on it. We use an iPhone 11 pro and it struggles to capture anything close in quality to a DSLR when the light starts fading.
Old 19th October 2020, 17:06   #13094
BHPian

Somewhat off-topic to the current talks, but wanted to share one experience of selling my iPhone 7 a few days back. Mostly all buyers were locals from and around Mumbai, but one fellow from Bhuj contacted me showing interest. We got chatting and then talking, which made me ask him the reason for his purchase. The answer surprised me.. He is a wholesaler of Bandhani Sarees in Bhuj and for his business he needs to send Pictures of his products all over. He wanted the iPhone just to capture the true colours of his products, which no phone ever produces ( he was using a 1+). So feel happy iPhone users :-)
Old 19th October 2020, 17:17   #13095
BHPian

Quote:
I got one a couple of days back from Amazon. The box calls out 'Country of Origin' as India.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks