Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 10:40   #14371
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hi,

I broke screen of my watch SE , 44mm , what are my options for repair ? Any one has done watch repair outside apple repair centre, looking dor cheaper options.

Should have bought apple care also , but now
I'm considering buying an apple watch. Just curious as to how you managed to break the screen?
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:35   #14372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I think you got it wrong here. They made it narrower by trimming the side bezels. If you check the aspect ratio of both devices you will see that the 12 maintains the same 19.5:9 aspect ratio of the XR and 11. Which means the width of the screen should be remaining the same.

PS: I haven't used either and am basing my analysis on the specs available in GSMArena. Apologies in advance if the numbers I have used for my analysis is wrong.
Agreed, to restate what I said, the overall form factor is narrower. This makes it harder to type accurately somehow.

Try typing 100 words on both phones and you will see what I mean. The screen may itself be the same size, but smaller bezels mean your thumbs are closer together for those of us who hold the phone on its side and type with both thumbs.
Old 3rd January 2022, 01:59   #14373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Agreed, to restate what I said, the overall form factor is narrower. This makes it harder to type accurately somehow.

Try typing 100 words on both phones and you will see what I mean. The screen may itself be the same size, but smaller bezels mean your thumbs are closer together for those of us who hold the phone on its side and type with both thumbs.
It comes down to hand size I believe, I much prefer typing in landscape mode on my 13 pro max which has a 6.7” screen over the 6.1” screen on the regular 13/12/XR. If you have smaller hands you will prefer the 6.1”. XR and non pro 11 had lcd displays with much thicker bezels than their oled counterparts, so it would be harder to hit the screen edge unintentionally while typing on those.

XR is also much thicker at 8.3mm compared to the 12 at 7.4mm, in the phone world that’s a massive difference.

Last edited by AJ56 : 3rd January 2022 at 02:02.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:17   #14374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Current Scenario-

I need a new phone by end of Jan 2022.
I have decided to buy the iPhone 13 Pro (first preference), or the Google Pixel 6 Pro (second preference). Problem is, I can't extend my budget beyond INR 85,000.

In India, as you know, both phones cost more than INR 1.15 Lakhs.

Please guide me, forum members. If any forum member is returning from the US, or has an acquaintance returning from the US, it would be very helpful if they could manage a phone.

Really looking forward to your guidance.
I am kind of in the same boat right now, although don't know when my friend will be coming from the US. However, I am trying to get the Pixel 6. In my opinion, the 6 Pro does not compare that well the 13 Pro especially when the price difference is minor. Pro has better tech (camera, processor, display etc), only thing you would miss out on is the stock Android experience and fingerprint sensor.

Also note that Google does not honour the 1 year warranty on Pixel 6 and 6 Pro in India. It will be valid only in countries where it is actually sold. Whereas the iphone comes with international warranty. This point is seriously making me reconsider the Pixel.

I am also a lifetime Android user who has been very happy using the stock Moto G series, Nexus 6 and now OP 7T. Can't find any good flagship Android devices in India hence waiting for a friend to get me one from the US.

Do let me know which way you go with this!
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:34   #14375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
Apple doesn't repair apple watches, they just provide a replacement. The replacement cost is almost the price of a new watch.
The best option would be find the display on aliexpress. Also, the watch will no longer be water resistant after display replacement.
Spoke to authorized service center, they quoted 11k + taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I'm considering buying an apple watch. Just curious as to how you managed to break the screen?
Not very sure on this. My niece suggesting that it fell from table ( height around 4 feet).
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:39   #14376
BHPian

Try to source a Pixel 6, but due to current omicron situation my friend cancelled the travel plans. As I invested heavily on the Apple ecosystem : AirPods , Watch and Mac decided to stay with Apple again. Ordered iPhone-13.
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:36   #14377

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have not checked with him if I can share his number on the forum. Will do after I return to BLR.

For now, sending by PM
Hi condor,
can you also please PM me Mr. Gururaj's number?
Thanks in advance
Old 4th January 2022, 08:23   #14378
BHPian

Quote:
Hello forum members.

I have decided to buy the iPhone 13 Pro (first preference), or the Google Pixel 6 Pro (second preference). Problem is, I can't extend my budget beyond INR 85,000.

Please guide me, forum members. If any forum member is returning from the US, or has an acquaintance returning from the US, it would be very helpful if they could manage a phone.

Your friend really let you down, it was easy to order and get it delivered.

But, coming to you point, i would suggest getting the 13 pro. (Upgrade to max if you’re comfortable with the screen size, it has great battery life)
And also please do wait if someone comes from US if you can wait that is. Otherwise, you may go ahead and buy one of the numerous USA billed iPhone's from the grey market. Getting gadgets from US is a waiting game.

I myself bought the 13 Pro Max from USA. I wanted it since it came out but waited a long time for it to come from the U.S.

So, i would suggest waiting and if you can’t wait, pay 20-25k more and get one from the grey market. (The warranty works for them)

Last edited by Schneller : 4th January 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Typo
Old 4th January 2022, 08:48   #14379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post

So, i would suggest waiting and if you can’t wait, pay 20-25k more and get one from the grey market. (The warranty works for them)
I have decided to buy the iPhone 13 Pro itself.

Please tell me where I could get this USA billed phone in Delhi?
I'll look around in Kolkata in the meantime.
Old 4th January 2022, 08:52   #14380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_eagle View Post
I would like to try Mr Gururaj's expertise. Please share his contact details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogie View Post
can you also please PM me Mr. Gururaj's number?
Since both of you dont have PM enabled yet, I have sent the contact details to your mail id that is reachable through your TBHP profiles.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 08:52   #14381
BHPian

Quote:
I have decided to buy the iPhone 13 Pro itself.

Please tell me where I could get this USA billed phone in Delhi?
I'll look around in Kolkata in the meantime.
Pretty much in all shops that deal with buying and selling of phones. Last i checked, the Price for iPhone 13 Pro Max 256 GB was 1.2L for US imported ones. For comparison, i got mine for 96-97K from USA.

Will DM you a few places to call up and ask, i have bought from them numerous times before but i do not gurantee anything so be cautious
Schneller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 23:53   #14382

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Since both of you dont have PM enabled yet, I have sent the contact details to your mail id that is reachable through your TBHP profiles.
Hi Condor, I checked my inbox and spam and other folders but i am not able to find the mail. Can you please resend it? my email id being <yogie_cs at yahoo dot co dot uk>
Thank you very much in advance.
Old 12th January 2022, 21:16   #14383
BHPian

Quote:
Hello forum members.

Current Scenario-

Quoting this yet again to ask for help from the forum members. If there is any way someone could help me in sourcing an iPhone 13 Pro from the US, it would be of immense help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th January 2022, 15:39   #14384
Distinguished - BHPian

Lots of us are holding our old iPhones due to various reasons. However, some older models have pretty average battery life- like the one I have- the 6S. Jokingly in many circles, they say that 6S stands for 6 seconds of battery life

So, I would like to share a small but neat trick to increase the battery standby time on any iPhone. I have deployed this trick to both my phones which are 6S & 12 Mini. Check & try if it suits your usage pattern.

I have used the shortcuts app and have created an automation to turn lower power mode on at 11 in the night. Moreover, another automation scheduled at 12:30 in the night turns off the cellular data, WiFi and Bluetooth connections. This is followed by another automation that kicks in at 7:30 in the morning and turns the WiFi back on and reactivates the normal battery mode at once. Using these automations, I am able to stretch my 6S battery to 24 hours between charges. On the 12 Mini, I am easily able to go 48 hour plus! This is with moderate use for both.

Previously, the 6S would drain anything between 12-17% battery overnight in standby. But now it drains just 5% at max.
So, you can also try these automations and improvise the timings/ actions as per your suitability. Trust this will help some.
Also, if you have some good and creative automations/ shortcuts created on your phone, please share so that we could unlock the potential of one of the least used but powerful iOS built-in apps.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 18th January 2022 at 15:42.
saket77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 20:59   #14385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

I have used the shortcuts app and have created an automation to turn lower power mode on at 11 in the night. Moreover, another automation scheduled at 12:30 in the night turns off the cellular data, WiFi and Bluetooth connections. This is followed by another automation that kicks in at 7:30 in the morning and turns the WiFi back on and reactivates the normal battery mode at once. Using these automations, I am able to stretch my 6S battery to 24 hours between charges. On the 12 Mini, I am easily able to go 48 hour plus! This is with moderate use for both.

Regards,
Saket

Nice one! I have done two automations, when I connect my phone to my Apple car play, I have enabled an automatic WhatsApp message to my wife stating that “I’m driving, so please call me if anything and not WhatsApp”.
Second automation triggers the opening of my office attendance application everyday morning at 9:45am as well as in the evening at 7:30pm.

I think much more can be done through shortcuts and automation, but I’m yet to explore.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed