Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 09:45   #3061
BHPian

Re: Which GPS Navigator to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Hey BeingCynical!

I have been using MapMyIndia for over 4 years and can vouch for the build quality and maps. It has never let me down.
But does any MapMyIndia navigator give the Junction View/ Lane suggestion as Tomtom or Garmin do?

Sorry for this bloop of a question, but I am not aware of any.

Last edited by BeingCynical : 20th November 2013 at 09:48.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:18   #3062
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been using Map My India for about close to one year. Have done some outstation trips and I can tell you that it is fairly accurate. Most roads are marked fine. The only drawback is the build quality. It feels like a cheap Chinese phone when held in hand. Also the touch-screen is not as responsive as one would have liked, esp. while dragging the maps. These two points are simply unacceptable when the device costs about 12K! For 12K, one can get a good quality Andriod phone or tablet which is much better in terms of build quality...and has in-built GPS too. The only issue would be that the Google Maps need 3G or egde connection which may not be available in remote areas where the GPS can be a life saver.

Battery back up is not that great, but when in the car, it is seldom a worry. Have no problems regarding locking up with GPS satellites.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:24   #3063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
why not go for a smartphone under 10K, it could serve as a backup phone. You could use offline maps like Sygic (Android) or Nokia HERE.
Can you elaborate on that please? I have samsung galxy Tab 2. I guess Sygic is free at least for android.

Do you have personal experience on the use? I mean its performance vis-a-vis a proper Navigation device.

Does the voice direction system and saving waypoints and tracks work there?
Old 20th November 2013, 11:48   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
1. MapMyIndia
2. Garmin Nuvi Lm 50
3. Tomtom VIA 125/100
I will suggest Garmin LM50.

1. Well-made hardware and polished UI
2. Good coverage with Junction view

Have been using Garmin for 3 years now. Used MMI for sometime, but hardware was pathetic.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:23   #3065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I will suggest Garmin LM50.

1. Well-made hardware and polished UI
2. Good coverage with Junction view
I am also thinking on the same lines. Tomtom also has a good hardware but its functionality is little questionable. I think, sticking to Garmin LM 50 would be good.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:42   #3066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Can you elaborate on that please? I have samsung galxy Tab 2. I guess Sygic is free at least for android.

Do you have personal experience on the use? I mean its performance vis-a-vis a proper Navigation device.

Does the voice direction system and saving waypoints and tracks work there?
I have used Sygic as well as Google maps for my navigation purposes using my smartphone, and have not faced any problems.

I have not encountered any performance issues, but if the screen is on, then the phone may heat up. However, with AC on, this shouldn't be much of a problem. Also, you can switch off the display if there are no major turns and voice guidance still works. You may also use recording feature using apps like Auto box. Its just more versatile than a dedicated navigation device.

Since you already own an Android device, would suggest you to evaluate.
Old 24th November 2013, 12:41   #3067
BHPian

Hi,

Between the three mentioned below, I am inclined to recommend Garmin Product. However, mapmyindia map data for Garmin is way better than City Navigator India which Garmin devices comes with.

Having said that, I suggest you try Sygic India app, now available free on Play store, before you spent any money on a stand alone PND.

If you intent to use only for navigation, Sygic does a brilliant job. However, if you want to use your device for logging, mapping and track back options, then Garmin should be your choice.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Guys, I am in a fix. Though indecisions are not alien to me, this particular one is irritating.

I am planning to fix a GPS Navigator in my Safari since few long drives are coming up. Initially I zerored in on three options

1. MapMyIndia
2. Garmin Nuvi Lm 50
3. Tomtom VIA 125/100

The reviews of MapMyIndia and the build quality didn`t impressed me at all and subsequently I dropped MapMyIndia from my shorlist.

Now I am in a fix between Tomtom & Garmin and here I badly need some insight to both of these products. Anyone having some idea on the product I should go for, please do pitch in.

Thanking in advance and eagerly waiting for your advice/s
Old 25th November 2013, 09:34   #3068
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I will be mostly buying a Garmin; as per recent posts LM 50 is most spoken. Would like to have a bigger screen; 7" or so.
Request post some Garmin models with good reviews you have with 7" screen.
Old 25th November 2013, 10:51   #3069
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post

If you intent to use only for navigation, Sygic does a brilliant job. However, if you want to use your device for logging, mapping and track back options, then Garmin should be your choice.

Cheers
Garmin entry level units cannot save GPX files. Only few models are capable of that. As for trackback, again, not possible on entry level.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:52   #3070
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Garmin entry level units cannot save GPX files. Only few models are capable of that.
Does LM 50 have that limitation?

AFAIK, you can connect any Garmin unit to PC/Mac and can download tracks to BaseCamp. From BaseCamp, you can export to GPX.

If Garmin has removed this feature, this would be surprising since this works fine on ~100$ 255W taht I bought 4 years back.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:06   #3071
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does LM 50 have that limitation?

AFAIK, you can connect any Garmin unit to PC/Mac and can download tracks to BaseCamp. From BaseCamp, you can export to GPX.

If Garmin has removed this feature, this would be surprising since this works fine on ~100$ 255W taht I bought 4 years back.
Some garmins do date stamped trip logs. i.e. you can have multiple logs over various dates.
Does your 255 log have timestamps?

Some Garmin Nuvis do only one tracklog(latest trip)

Some do neither.

I am not sure what kind of tracklog Garmin does.
I always record tracklogs on my phone. If I am using sygic, I run oruxmaps or similar app on the background and it keeps recording logs.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:20   #3072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some garmins do date stamped trip logs. i.e. you can have multiple logs over various dates.
Does your 255 log have timestamps?
Yes, it retains tracks with timestamp for each point. Once imported to PC, BaseCamp brakes that to individual trips.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:24   #3073
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, it retains tracks with timestamp for each point. Once imported to PC, BaseCamp brakes that to individual trips.
If you make multiple trips over days, does it keep all the tracklogs?
Old 25th November 2013, 14:45   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you make multiple trips over days, does it keep all the tracklogs?
Yes, and these are archived on MapSource/ BaseCamp one you connect the device to PC. On device itself, these are deleted after some time (might be based on size of tracks).

You can also turn on an option on device so that it highlights tracks. This can be used as a "breadcrumb" for navigation.
Old 25th November 2013, 15:18   #3075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, and these are archived on MapSource/ BaseCamp one you connect the device to PC. On device itself, these are deleted after some time (might be based on size of tracks).

You can also turn on an option on device so that it highlights tracks. This can be used as a "breadcrumb" for navigation.
See if the software is non transparently deleting tracks, then its not a trackker. What if you are on a 25 day cross country trip with no laptop. Will it save 25 days of tracks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks