Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 15:13   #571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I purchased a 1.5 ton Samsung Split AC AS18EXA from Hari Om Electronics, Ashok Vihar-II, Delhi-110052 on 5th June' 09. The AC was fitted by one of the employees sent by the company.
==============
Does anybody has email addresses of their senior employees / upper management?

Thanks,
woof
So, yesterday, another representative came from Samsung, and inspected the AC. He said that AC is working fine - there is no issue. But, IMO, there is the cooling is very, very less when compared to O General ACs installed in my other rooms. So, they have agreed to replace the AC, and have told me that this whole process will take a month.

Till then, I guess, will have to bear the Delhi heat.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st July 2009 at 10:13. Reason: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. Thanks
Old 24th June 2009, 16:02   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@coolboy: Please check that the condenser fins are not choked. Compressors can overheat if they have to work against high head pressures which will happen if the condenser fins are choked.
Thanks for your response. Condenser fins - is it behind the AC unit or the black metal fins behind air filter?
Behind air filter i cleaned those fins with a brush and a blower but didnt do anything about those external fins. Do you think they are blocked?

Now AC is working fine but compressor overheating i didnt knw it can happen.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:52   #573
Team-BHP Support

Samsung AC 1.5 ton, long term review

In may 2005, when we went out for AC hunting, we chose samsung because of its VFM.
Initially gravitating towards hitachi, but thought that the extra 3-4K would not be worth it.
In hindsight, I would say it was a bad decision.
Now the AC itself is not bad, and for the first 2 years we were happy,
But after that the AC has started giving problems.
It requires AC gas recharging every year. Last year we spent 1400rs, and this year again we would need to spend 1400rs.
Back home the hitachi has been running for 5 years without a single gas recharge.
And to add to that, even service has been free for first 3-4 years or so.
Cooling of that AC is much better, and actually chills thoroughly.
Samsung is just average.
I am worried about compressor failure, because next year compressor warranty would also expire.

So I suggest, spend 3K extra now to get better peace of mind.
Unless you change ACs every 3 years, the money saved with samsung does not make any sense.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:39   #574
BHPian

Quote:
So, yesterday, another representative came from Samsung, and inspected the AC. He said that AC is working fine - there is no issue. But, IMO, there is the cooling is very, very less when compared to O General ACs installed in my other rooms. So, they have agreed to replace the AC, and have told me that this whole process will take a month.

Till then, I guess, will have to bear the Delhi heat.
Now, Samsung has again taken a U-turn. They said they won't replace the AC, because as per them, AC is working fine.

I have decided to file a case against Samsung & the dealer in the consumer court. Any pointers, how can I do that?
Old 29th June 2009, 11:48   #575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Thanks for your response. Condenser fins - is it behind the AC unit or the black metal fins behind air filter?
Behind air filter i cleaned those fins with a brush and a blower but didnt do anything about those external fins. Do you think they are blocked?

Now AC is working fine but compressor overheating i didnt knw it can happen.
Obviously you are on the right track. have a go on the condenser fins (external) as well.
Old 1st July 2009, 01:47   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Now, Samsung has again taken a U-turn. They said they won't replace the AC, because as per them, AC is working fine.

I have decided to file a case against Samsung & the dealer in the consumer court. Any pointers, how can I do that?
well this is not new with samsung as they have a very poor record at replacing their defective products .i had a 32 inch flat tv from samsung which went bad .they tried to repair it and when they couldnt they said that they would replace it ,but they backed off .i also thought off coming to consumer court but being busy and slightly not in good health i didnt .now i have decided not to buy any samsung product and try to dissuade any person i can from buying anything samsung

on the topic dont compare the cooling of ogeneral with samsung .ogeneral is a brand which has always been into airconditioning and have one of the best ac's that is why they are quite popular in middle east. smasung ac's are just average .my parents ac is samsung and it comsumes electricity like anything .it can take upto 12 amperes while all take about 9amp
Old 1st July 2009, 01:47   #577
BHPian

Hey Guys - What AC would you recommend for 120 Sq Ft. Room? 0.75 or 1 Ton? Window or Split. I saw an 0.75 Ton Electrolux Split unit for 11.5K at Croma - Is this a good buy?
Old 1st July 2009, 14:58   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Obviously you are on the right track. have a go on the condenser fins (external) as well.
You were bang on TARGET
Thanks a lot, paid 300 rs to Voltas and got AC serviced. Condenser fins were all choked up with dust and bird feathers. Now AC is chilling as usual, my bad that i forgot to get Ac serviced.

Next time, i will keep AC servicing as DIY too
Old 1st July 2009, 15:08   #579
BHPian

I have been using Samsung Split AC(1.5) for about 3 years. It is good with no complains.
Old 1st July 2009, 22:47   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hey Guys - What AC would you recommend for 120 Sq Ft. Room? 0.75 or 1 Ton? Window or Split. I saw an 0.75 Ton Electrolux Split unit for 11.5K at Croma - Is this a good buy?
vcash, you will get better response if you go through previous posts. Take the time to familiarize yourself with recent posts.
Old 6th July 2009, 00:04   #581
BHPian

There is more than 1 feet length of the gas pipe at the outdoor unit end which is not covered by insulation. I have brought this up with Daikin sales and service as well as the dealer multiple times. Both are pretty lax about it and so it remains exposed. Should I just let it be?

On a different note, a friend residing in south Delhi pays electricity bill of Rs.3800 for two months in summer and just about Rs.500 in winter. No, he does not use AC. He uses two local assembled desert coolers . Go figure!
Old 6th July 2009, 01:13   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess that it is the pipe carrying cold into the house that really needs insulation; the one carrying heat out is probably not so important. You do not want to be wasting your coldness cooling the outside air! Please forgive the very non-technical langauge; hope you see what I'm trying to say there...

Also, I notice that installation engineers like to tape up the insulation, binding it tight and crushing it. This they should not do: it is the air holes in the foam that do the actually insulation! I'm (as you might have noticed) no scientist, but even I know that; how come AC engineers don't seem to?
Old 6th July 2009, 09:17   #583
BANNED

How is Samsung's range of split ACs ?
Old 6th July 2009, 10:33   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There is more than 1 feet length of the gas pipe at the outdoor unit end which is not covered by insulation. ..... Should I just let it be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I guess that it is the pipe carrying cold into the house that really needs insulation; the one carrying heat out is probably not so important. You do not want to be wasting your coldness cooling the outside air! Please forgive the very non-technical langauge; hope you see what I'm trying to say there...
Guite, leave that pipe as it is. There is no real need to have insulation on it. This is the 'return' pipe going to the compressor suction. There is, in fact, danger of liquid being inducted into the compressor if you insulate this pipe. (Liquid getting into the compressor suction can damage the compressor).

There is no pipe that carries 'coolth' into the room. The thinner pipe of the two carries liquid refrigerant to the expansion valve/evaporator coil and the change in phase (from liquid to gas) produces the cooling in the indoor unit. The return pipe (larger diameter) is the one that is chilled, should have refrigerant in gaseous phase only, and goes to the compressor suction (outdoor unit).

Last edited by anupmathur : 6th July 2009 at 10:35.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:03   #585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
How is Samsung's range of split ACs ?
Read Woof's comments on the last page.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks