Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 17:58   #3286
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi! everyone,

I am on a lookout for Acoustic Insulation Compressor Jacket for Panasonic cube 1.5 ton.

AC is perfect it's just the location which makes it noisy. I have searched online, but shipping to India is an issue, any leads will be appreciated.

Blue Star India are promoting their range as one with Acoustic Insulation Compressor Jacket, wish I could buy one (jacket only) as I love the Cube.

http://www.amazon.com/Brinmar-SBUHD-.../dp/B008J5H6I2
Have you tried the anti vibration pads? That may help too and you should be able to source something that does the job locally. Need to ensure it is fire resistant.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:21   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi! everyone,

I am on a lookout for Acoustic Insulation Compressor Jacket for Panasonic cube 1.5 ton.
Blue Star India are promoting their range as one with Acoustic Insulation Compressor Jacket, wish I could buy one (jacket only) as I love the Cube.
Is the noise from the outdoor unit bothering you inside the room?
Old 21st February 2014, 18:56   #3288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Have you tried the anti vibration pads? That may help too and you should be able to source something that does the job locally. Need to ensure it is fire resistant.
Thanks, its not vibrations, as outside unit is secure, picture attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Is the noise from the outdoor unit bothering you inside the room?
Nah, the room is huge like 15'*14' and ideally 2 ton should have been used, but this Cube is amazing like 10 minutes and its freezing.

I am more concerned from my end, also since summers are on the way, and at night when its pin drop silence, also since road in front is the smallest 9' or 10' and close houses on both sides tend to echo the noise or its location. Condenser in outside unit makes noise when working full steam in peak summer.

I have no issues with the Unit, electricity consumption max was 493 unit in May 2013 when Cube was used like 15 to 16 hours or more. FYI Jan 14 unit consumption was 130 unit to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20140221_183041.jpg  

Old 21st February 2014, 19:57   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, its not vibrations, as outside unit is secure, picture attached.
Seeing the picture I suspect it is acoustic amplification that is increasing the sound level, with hard, reflective walls on three sides of the unit.

Before putting acoustic insulation on the compressor I would recommend that you confirm with Panasonic whether this is acceptable practice. You could end up losing the five year warranty on the compressor.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:59   #3290
BHPian

Quote:
Seeing the picture I suspect it is acoustic amplification that is increasing the sound level, with hard, reflective walls on three sides of the unit.

Before putting acoustic insulation on the compressor I would recommend that you confirm with Panasonic whether this is acceptable practice. You could end up losing the five year warranty on the compressor.
Yes Anup, agree, how do I reduce the amplification, I do not want to re locate it as electric meter box is below and moving on the box wall will invite rain trouble. Dampening material on a wood box and placing it around it is another option, what do i do
Old 21st February 2014, 23:57   #3291
BHPian

Hi All,

Went to a Daikin dealer. Was told by him that the power consumption of a 3 star Daikin Ac would amount to 1 unit at 4hours for a 1 tone AC running at 26-27°C.

So if we calculate based on 8hours running, it amounts to two units. The monthly billing 30*2units=60units*5 INR per unit. That comes to 300 INR a month.

Is this what it would cost running a 3star Daikin AC as per what he claims?

Last edited by tush : 21st February 2014 at 23:58.
Old 22nd February 2014, 07:55   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... Dampening material on a wood box and placing it around it is another option, what do i do
One inexpensive way to do it is to stick empty egg crates on the walls.
Egg crates are very good at reflecting/dispersing sound randomly.
Insulation foam sheets would also work well; the flexible dark grey colour sheets that are commonly available.
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:33   #3293
BHPian

Quote:
One inexpensive way to do it is to stick empty egg crates on the walls.
Egg crates are very good at reflecting/dispersing sound randomly.
Insulation foam sheets would also work well; the flexible dark grey colour sheets that are commonly available.
Thanks Anup, nice idea for DIY, will keep you updated.
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:24   #3294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hi All,

Went to a Daikin dealer. Was told by him that the power consumption of a 3 star Daikin Ac would amount to 1 unit at 4hours for a 1 tone AC running at 26-27°C.

So if we calculate based on 8hours running, it amounts to two units. The monthly billing 30*2units=60units*5 INR per unit. That comes to 300 INR a month.

Is this what it would cost running a 3star Daikin AC as per what he claims?
Note how many watts the compressor is consuming and how many the fan. Then calculate the units based on the fan being on full time and the compressor for 50% of the time.
In my experience a 1T AC would consume at least 1.2KW and the fan 200W, which means
. For Fan = 8 x .2 = 1.6KVA (units)
. For Compressor = 8 x 1.2 x 0.5 = 4.8 KVA

So the total would be 6.4 units for eight hours if the duty cycle is 50%. In Delhi it is more like 75% duty cycle.
Old 28th February 2014, 17:15   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anup, nice idea for DIY, will keep you updated.
Those Dark sheets tends to catch dust very fast and lose its sound absorbtion. Its a washable material. So stick it in a way that its removable and washable
Old 6th March 2014, 12:20   #3296
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get an AC for my bedroom by March end - April first week. My initial budget was 30K but after going through the thread and reading about the +ves of inverter AC, I am seriously thinking of extending my budget to get an inverter AC - hope it will be worth spending the extra amount.

My room is 14"X10", so I am confused between Daikin FTKE25 (.75 Ton) or FTKE35 (1Ton). Is there any other alternatives I should look under 40K mark?

--Anoop
Old 19th March 2014, 20:04   #3297
BHPian

I am looking to buy a 1 Ton split AC. There are so many choices that I am quite confused as to which brand to buy. My requirements are
1. 30K budget (preferably including installation charges)
2. Usage limited to 5-6 hrs per night in summers only
3. Wide service network
Guys, please suggest. Which are the more reliable brands?

Last edited by mahesh_sn : 19th March 2014 at 20:05.
Old 20th March 2014, 14:40   #3298
Senior - BHPian

With electricity costs rising monotonically, it is best to buy 5* rated Inverter AC. Buying lower rated ones will only shift the cost from capital expense (buying) to maintenance (electricity bill). Over a period of time the differential cost of purchasing a lower efficiency AC is eaten up in the energy charges.
Old 21st March 2014, 12:10   #3299

Hi everyone, been a silent reader of team-bhp for over 5 years. Our 8 year old Electrolux 1.5 ton Window AC stopped working recently and we are planning to replace it. Options are Voltas 5* window (27k street price) and Samsung inverter (41k street price). Samsung is tempting with 10 year compressor and 3 year condenser warranties. One more thing, Hitachi has terrible service here, and we kind of trust LG here(Cuttack-Odisha) because of service. Daikin and General are popular too but they are too expensive. Was interested in Sharp but service center is in the neighboring city only, and we have had bad experiences with Panasonic (different product, long story). My question is between the 5* and inverter, EER being slightly higher in the inverter, what would be the payback time? Running hours would be around 10-14 hours a day for 8 months (it is very very hot here). Am a green-bee, so heart says inverter, but head is asking this question. Will R22 be banned after 2015?

Our Electrolux Window will be repaired by our jugaad guy, he is an excellent AC mechanic. The body has bent due to age or water that led to the fan breaking. We will be putting it up in a room where it will be rarely used.

@mods - kudos for maintaining such a amazing forum.
Old 22nd March 2014, 05:53   #3300
Team-BHP Support

Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy an AC. The room size is 16x16 feet and the room is situated on the first floor directly below the terrace. My usage would be mostly limited to 3 months in summer - about 3 to 4 hours in the afternoon and 8 hours in the night.

I visited the local home appliances dealer here and he said I would require a 2 ton AC for this room size. He also mentioned that LG has a model called "Invertor V" (variable tonnage). In this model a 1.5 ton AC would be enough. I need advice from experts on the following questions.

1. What tonnage should I go for a 256 sq. ft. room?
2. What are the advantages of choosing an inverter AC over conventional one? How much electricity savings would an inverter AC provide?
3. Which company should I choose? The dealer here is trying to push LG. Is LG any good? How good is their service?
4. What are the alternatives? There is Panasonic Econavi which they say has some intelligent algorithm for cooling. How good is Panasonic and how is the service?

Thank you in advance for the guidance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks