Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 06:43   #7561
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

so in effect it is actually a little gps device inside the phone and hence, should work exactly similar to the normal in-car gps device right?

this is truly phenomenal. am i right in assuming that as long as you have whichever country's maps downloaded onto the device, the GPS should work properly pretty much just about anywhere in the world, despite absence of SIM?

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
It does not need GPRS once it has initial position.

And even in absence of GPRS, GPS would work. Only thing is, it would take bit longer to get initial position. Did that with my phone. My Indian SIM does not have GPRS roaming. Turned on GPS in phone in US and it worked after 15 mins (It was in Manhattan which is a difficult place for GPS).
Old 6th January 2011, 09:32   #7562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The screen and touch are nothing short of poor in feel good factor! Not to mention its slow when loaded with music, even by old N73 standards.

With no auto-focus camera? Thats something basic i expect in a phone worth 5k, forget 20k!
video is awesome though on 5800. My lotus notes appln works which is great. Wifi/GPRS is great. GPS is good too. And built quality.

Sad that newer ones dont have auto focus as you said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
so in effect it is actually a little gps device inside the phone and hence, should work exactly similar to the normal in-car gps device right?

this is truly phenomenal. am i right in assuming that as long as you have whichever country's maps downloaded onto the device, the GPS should work properly pretty much just about anywhere in the world, despite absence of SIM?

cheers
Yes, it has an onboard GPS chip.

I found the N8 can too slow when it comes to focusing on low light.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:44   #7563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
despite absence of SIM?

cheers
Not sure if OS would boot in absence of SIM, but if SIM is present then it would work even if SIM does not work with that country's network (I.e. roaming is not enabled).
Old 6th January 2011, 17:07   #7564
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Without a SIM inserted, the phone will boot up, and go straight into Offline mode.
Old 6th January 2011, 18:12   #7565
Senior - BHPian

^maybe the latest ones do. Nokia's of past did not boot further.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:44   #7566
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Another reason I would get Nokia is the OVI. All my data get backed up to net in the background.
I would prefer backing up my data on my PC. If my next phone is not Nokia, my data on their servers is of no use for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
With no auto-focus camera? Thats something basic i expect in a phone worth 5k, forget 20k!
Sigh!!!

We are discussing phones, right? No. Cameras. Nah. Phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^maybe the latest ones do. Nokia's of past did not boot further.
My X2, 2730, 3120 XM asked what to do, and booted if I insisted. Samsun SGH X (had 3 of them. all folders - IIRC 210 and 160) would throw a tantrum and refuse to respond.
Old 7th January 2011, 20:11   #7567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sigh!!! ... We are discussing phones, right? No. Cameras. Nah. Phones.
Some of us actually want a camera to carry around every day ... and occasionally use for phone calls! That was partly why I bought the N82, although I'm not that impressed with the camera except for closeups.

Oh, I also wanted a GPS that made phone calls too. Others might want a music player that they can use to occasionally phone home.

The barriers are blurred: the priorities increasingly variable according to the person!
Old 7th January 2011, 22:09   #7568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Sigh!!!

We are discussing phones, right? No. Cameras. Nah. Phones.
Most of us look for much more in our phones today than just the call functions. And thats why some phones cost upwards of 15-20k today. Features like camera, Gps, Music playback are all very much needed in a phone today.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:40   #7569
Distinguished - BHPian

Upwards of 30k, even --- which seems to me to be getting a bit ridiculous, because it would feel like too much risk carrying it around!
Old 8th January 2011, 09:38   #7570
Distinguished - BHPian

That is true. Also I am not sure if increasing the screen size beyond 4 inches is a great idea because after all the foremost thing about a phone is its portability. 4 inches is the max it should go. Beyond that you are better off buying a tablet!
Old 8th January 2011, 17:58   #7571
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

excellent
many thanks my friend
really do look forward to trying this out next time I go somewhere!
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Not sure if OS would boot in absence of SIM, but if SIM is present then it would work even if SIM does not work with that country's network (I.e. roaming is not enabled).
Old 8th January 2011, 18:05   #7572
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
That's NOKIA.
I have to agree. I was a big fan of Nokia in the late nineties, washed my hands off in the mid-2000s....but looks like, they are getting back in the game.

My N86 will complete 1 year shortly.

- Exterior build quality is A+. The phone has nothing to show for its 12 months of hard use. Nowhere has the paint or chrome chipped off.

- Number of times the software hung / required a reboot : All of once in the entire year.

- Bugs? One of the reasons I chose this phone was, it was running an old but stable OS. I have yet to find any part of the software that doesn't work the way its supposed to.

- Battery still completes two days. With my previous Motorola & Nokia, I witnessed a drastic drop in battery life after a year of use. No such issues yet.

That said, it's a case of too little too late on the part of Nokia. For a brand that was once dominating the mobile phone industry, Nokia has been eclipsed by the iPhone, Blackberry and even Samsung! Hardly anyone buys a Nokia smartphone these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I would prefer backing up my data on my PC
+1 to that. I religiously back up the entire phone atleast once a month to my PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Upwards of 30k, even --- which seems to me to be getting a bit ridiculous
Getting ridiculous? In '96, we bought a Sony X1000 (or similar) and Ericsson GH 337 for 45 & 42K respectively. And they were just phones (not even SMS)! That's over a lakh rupees in todays money, and get this....the Ericsson had two batteries. Couldn't charge while the battery was on the phone!
Old 8th January 2011, 18:28   #7573
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for sounding stupid. I have a E5 with me and was wondering if I need to have a anti virus installed?
If yes, what do you recommend?
Old 9th January 2011, 01:47   #7574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
It doesnt have built-in GPS ; thats what I meant. Correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Stand corrected, JK.
I've been using the GPS on the E5 since September 2010.
AGPS is assisted GPS. Before your GPS locks onto the triangle, A-GPS, by using the nearest towers from which your cell receives the signal gives you an aproximate location. Without GPS, there is no AGPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
My son jumped into the swimming pool, without realizing his Nokia N73 was in his pocket.

The phone was thoroughly flooded. He dried out the phone. And guess what? It still works !!!

That's NOKIA.
Not just nokia, though I use 4 nokias after changing from SEs. I had a cheapo 2.2k samsung which i accidentally put in my soap box after using it in my bathroom, it was soaked in very thick soapy water for at least 10 minutes. I just dried it under the fan and used the hair dryer, it still works perfectly even after 3 years.
Old 9th January 2011, 03:06   #7575
BHPian

Re: India is now the world's fastest growing mobile phone market

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
They sold some 4 milllion N8 phones since its launch already according to gsmarena.
I picked one last week. While HW is amazing, application-wise I am yet to use it any better than my old N95-8GB. Touch is quite cool, but nothing exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I went looking for the N8. Cost has been increased by 1k. No black model available off the shelf.
I am still awaiting a call for the black stock.
I may be wrong, but I dont think there is a black version of N8. All you get is a dark grey, which almost looks black
see available colours here.
If you are anyway ready to wait, then wait for E7 or N9 which could be better bets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks