Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 14:17   #1156
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post

Why do you say so? I bought the Onkyo TX-NR5007 from Amazon and got it shipped it here via Borderlinx - have been running it via a step-down connected to Vertex Servo Stabilizer for almost 4 months now without any issue. If these receivers are designed to run @110V in USA, as long as 110V power supply is provided - what possibly could go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Have not faced any issue with step down transformers. Have been using it for last 4 years.

We just need to make sure :

1. Transformer is an "isolation" transformer
2. Rated capacity is at least twice of AVR (power consumption in a cycle is not uniform)

This does increase the cost, 1 KVA transformer would cost approx 2.5k.
The transformer required to use these US based amps has to be really large. It may have to weigh between 5 - 10 kgs. Even after that the sound quality might suffer because the power supply in the US is @ 60 Hz and here it is 50 Hz. It is not just the voltage. I have friends whose amps don't sound the same here. You can however use all other equipments which use lower current like DVD players, Pre-amp/Processors etc without any problem. Only Power amps (and AV Receivers which include them) have a problem.

Check out this
http://www.drhifi.net.au/Hi-Fi/Using...sformers/1.htm
Old 19th November 2010, 15:17   #1157
BHPian

How does the Klipsch Cinema 6 Package on a Yamaha 565 sound? Can it be compared to the Wharfdale 10.6 series, will it be equivalent or better.

where can i audition the Klipsch in chennai?
Old 19th November 2010, 16:57   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
The transformer required to use these US based amps has to be really large. It may have to weigh between 5 - 10 kgs. Even after that the sound quality might suffer because the power supply in the US is @ 60 Hz and here it is 50 Hz. It is not just the voltage. I have friends whose amps don't sound the same here. You can however use all other equipments which use lower current like DVD players, Pre-amp/Processors etc without any problem. Only Power amps (and AV Receivers which include them) have a problem.
Yes, transformers are heavy. And transformers have to be "isolation" which makes it even heavier.

But that does not impact quality. I used my AVR in US, now using it here with step down transformer. Can not perceive any difference in sound quality.
Old 20th November 2010, 20:30   #1159
naj
BHPian

Marantz sr 5005 AVR

HI!

I have purchased the Marantz AVR SR 5005 yesterday .Also have booked Polk TSI 500 Floor standers.

Special thanks to Netfreak for his advice and guidance. Actually it was his guidance that made me decide in favour of SR 5005 against Denon 1911 which is cheaper by 6k.

Cheers,
Naj
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:49   #1160
naj
BHPian

Polks Tsi 500

Hi!

The Polks arrived yesterday evening. The Guys at Av excellence were prompt to deliver it in the evening.
Now I have a Marantz AVR plus 2 frontal floorstanders.

The Polks are simply great.They have an extra driver than the Tsi 400 and the harshness seems to have been eleminated.Also the Marantz AVR might have made a difference.

I should admit ,its musical Nirvana!!!

Points noticed about the Polks Tsi 500-
a)The daytime is very noisy unless one has a dedicated sound proof AV room to keep external noise away. If not then one has to listen at night to enjoy clarity. With the Polks even at very low volume one can enjoy every musical detail.

b)The Polks do not require a lot of power. they sound loud at very less volume setting.

c)The bass extension is as low as 28Hz .There is no need for a sub for stereo /music application. May be for movies a sub might be required. but the bass is more than sufficient.

Will update with more inputs.

Cheers,
Naj
Old 25th November 2010, 00:35   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Which Amp and speakers to buy for Home Audio.

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a new Amp and a pair of floorstanding speakers for home. My budget is around 30K. I have the wiring so 30K is only for the speakers and amp.

I have heard Marantz 7001 and found it good, but somehow i think they lacked bass. As i only listen to trance, hence i need an amp which can give good punch.

For speakers, i have heard Wharfedale DIA 9.5. They sounded really sweet with Marantz 7001. But then i think i miight want to add a seprate sub to get that little bit extra punch.

Now the question is, are the above mentioned amp and speakers good for the money spent or there could be other choices as well?
Secondly, if i buy Marantz 7001, can i add a sub to it along with front 2 speakers? If not, then can you advice which amp would do the same.

(@Mods, i tried to look for a thread which answers my question, but (as usual with this site) i am never able to find any thing relevent when doing search, so if there is a thread that answers these, please merge)
Old 25th November 2010, 08:24   #1162
BHPian

Just go through this thread and you will find lots of posts
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...er-system.html
Old 25th November 2010, 08:32   #1163
BHPian

have you heard Pioneer Home theater?

Till I remember its around 20-25K with 200RMS powered Sub-woofer!
Old 25th November 2010, 14:25   #1164
BHPian

I'd recommend an Onkyo amp along with Jamo speakers. I'd loved the sound quality of the above mentioned setup while visiting a shop in Sec-18, Noida. It is on first floor and opposite the Anchor Restro-bar if you're familiar with the area. The quote I got for the system was 50K which included Amp, 5 speakers (2F, 2R, 1C) and a sub woofer, and this was around 2 years back. The speakers were made of solid wood, and F & R speakers were floor standing. I had & have the Sony AZ5D system and am still loving it.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:30   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the reply, but i am looking for amp and speakers just for audio purpose and not for movies cause i already have Bose system for my home theater.

I want to have only 2 front speakers and maybe a sub for my 100 gb music collection.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:33   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
HI!

I have purchased the Marantz AVR SR 5005 yesterday .Also have booked Polk TSI 500 Floor standers.

Special thanks to Netfreak for his advice and guidance. Actually it was his guidance that made me decide in favour of SR 5005 against Denon 1911 which is cheaper by 6k.

Cheers,
Naj
Congrats on your new amp. Could you let us know the price as well as i am looking for Marantz amp myself and would love to know the price range.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:16   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I want to have only 2 front speakers and maybe a sub for my 100 gb music collection.
In that case you may want to look at
Z-2300 2.1 Speaker System
Old 25th November 2010, 15:28   #1168
Senior - BHPian

thats a great option, except if you like trance/fast bass. the Z2300's sub is a bit slow
Old 25th November 2010, 17:12   #1169
BHPian

any feedback on front surround systems - namely yht-s400 or yas-5100
Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Front Surround
I am looking at a 2nd home theatre system and don't want to setup wires and 7 speakers, etc.
Old 25th November 2010, 22:43   #1170
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Congrats on your new amp. Could you let us know the price as well as i am looking for Marantz amp myself and would love to know the price range.
Hi!

Nitinralli for Marantz AVR SR 5005 its 40k without B and W.
If you want only an amp you will get it around 25 k to 30 k with B & w.

Cheers.
naj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks