Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 13:23   #361
BHPian

Well yes it depends on who you are talking to

I have seen most sales guys at the local dealers (electronics shops) are too dumb to know what sine wave is!! And then there are the dealers who sell high end UPS systems to offices and they will say Bi1000i is line interactive UPS and not pure sine wave cos they want you to buy a high end online UPS system. Best source - is the APC support guys, I called em up and they confirmed it is pure sine wave and I also made them email me the fact that it is pure sine wave, unfortunately I lost that email in a laptop crash.

But if you check APC site, they say its a sine waveform output with crest fact of 2.5:1
On this link APC Business Appliance & Lighting UPS 1000VA, 230V you can compare it with their Bi800i which is also sinewave and Hi800sq or Hi600sq which is quasi sine wave or stepped approximation to sine wave

It may not be the most perfectly formed sine wave, but I guess its safe for a few minutes of backup time it takes to switch off the onkyo amp, and far more safer when compared to UPS with square waves or stepped approximations to sine wave. This is what the denon guys are warning about.

Stepped approx sinewave or square waves or ok for smps based systems which include your computer and TV, thats it, fans will run on that stuff but life will reduce and no way should amps be put on that stuff, as these waves are basically equivalent to switching on/off the supply multiple times per second and quite unlike a pure sinusoidal supply.

If you actually want to run the amplifier on backup power then you need to spend and get a pure sine wave generator dedicated to the amp.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:28   #362
BHPian

have any of you heard to the Klipsch 7.1 Speaker System? a friends of mine was looking for a good high-end 7.1 system. he was interested in the sunfire range of amplifiers and denon dvd players.

kindly share your opinion of the above config.

P.S - the onkyo HT-S990 7.1 system costs close to 58k here in chennai wheras its only 19k in dubai!~ what is the cheapest way to bring the system from there to india?
Old 8th July 2007, 13:40   #363
BHPian

wow 19k is really cheap - are you sure its the whole system with the speakers and sub or just the 7.1 amp/receiver, cos last I checked in May 2007 in US, it was 999usd at both circuit city and frys i.e. 45k Rs.
Ok and if it really is that cheap, i would doubt its gonna be easy getting the whole package from dubai to India. Its a huge box (4' X 3' X 2'), that weighs close to 100kilos (maybe more), and there is no way you can slip it pass customs maybe you can buy it in dubai, keep it with your friend and get it in peices, one speaker at a time
Old 8th July 2007, 17:08   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
have any of you heard to the Klipsch 7.1 Speaker System?
Took a demo of some Klipsch speakers yesterday. Very good speakers, but the SQ of the front tower speakers wasn't as smooth as Polk Audio or Paradigm or Jamo (which I also heard yesterday). Felt it was a little more "boomy" than the others. But, some like that kind of sound better.

Heard a 5.1 setup, not 7.1, but was pretty impressed with the overall package.
Trust your ears - take a demo of all available options, preferably at short intervals, so you can compare them and make a choice.
Old 27th July 2007, 16:49   #365
BHPian

Guys!! went to the shop to check the harmon kardon system, after the demo the sales guy asked me to check another model named Jamo (new to me). it was equally good with better amp. any idea about this model, it was few thousands cheaper as well.
Old 27th July 2007, 20:41   #366
BHPian

Jamo's got good sound and is reliable from what I know
Old 27th July 2007, 20:42   #367
BHPian

Guys I have no clue on home theater systems. Pardon my ignorance but here is my question. Would it be possible to have a combo of a 29" flat tv + 5.1 decent sounding system all within 20k?
Old 28th July 2007, 01:49   #368
BHPian

Thats good news, but it's temp'ly out of stock at the moment. need to wait for couple of weeks.

Last edited by v1kram : 28th July 2007 at 01:50. Reason: wrong quote
Old 28th July 2007, 10:21   #369
BHPian

Guys, if you are looking for HT speaker systems, dont miss checking out KEF's KHT series. While Onkyo HT *90 series is decent value, the speakers in those packages are average, and the sub is below average. The best VFM from Onkyo is their receivers.

So the best bang for the buck when it comes to HT system -- in the context of the immediate discussion here -- is an Onkyo SR504 ($300) with KEF KHT3005 ($1100)/ KHT2005 ($500). Do give a listen to this combo, I am sure you will mark them right to the top of your list

Last edited by determinus : 28th July 2007 at 10:24.
Old 29th July 2007, 23:33   #370
BHPian

determinus - have u had a listen on the onkyo ht-s990thx(s) package - the speakers/sub are pretty good cos of the requirements set by thx to get the certification - afaik this was the only complete thx certified HT system when i bought it 3-4 months back. The system didn't sound as good as a jamo (with deep guitar bass) i was shown at the shop, but after some adjustments on the settings it sounds just as good if not better. I have seen most showrooms dunno how to demo the onkyo s990 (or maybe they don't want to!!)

ofcourse a real soundfreak may assemble a much better system with the same money, if they put in the time and effort. I don't really have that kinda time, hence took the HTIB route.

Thats my 2 paisa, i maybe biased cos i own the system and for all the thx cert may mean nothing, but I am happy with my setup
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:19   #371
BHPian

Small HT system for bedroom

Hi,

I have a HT system with the usual big amps, speakers and messy wiring etc for my main TV but am looking for a simple setup in my bedroom. My requirements are:

* Need to look good and not out of place in a bedroom
* Need to be small, even 2 or 2.1 speaker setup is fine
* Need to play DVD/VCD/CD/MP3
* Need decent sound, and am not a big fan of those 5.1 systems with 3" full range speakers
* I am not looking at a DVD player plus a separate amp
* 25 to 30K budget

Ideally something like the Bang and Olufsen sliding door thingy (but I guess they don't play DVD and don't sound too good either) or the Nakamichi one but both are too expensive. Even a DVD player with a built in amp will do, which I can then connect to my spare set of Definitive bookshelf speakers.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks,
Red-One.

Last edited by RedOne : 2nd August 2007 at 10:20.
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:07   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Guys!! went to the shop to check the harmon kardon system, after the demo the sales guy asked me to check another model named Jamo (new to me). it was equally good with better amp. any idea about this model, it was few thousands cheaper as well.
Stay away from Jamo's lowend made in china range. None of them are great. However if you are willing to spend, their E8, D and C8 series speakers are incredibly good for the price. These are hand crafted danish speakers. I have a pair of E855 floorstanders and am pretty happy with them.
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:23   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Guys I have no clue on home theater systems. Pardon my ignorance but here is my question. Would it be possible to have a combo of a 29" flat tv + 5.1 decent sounding system all within 20k?
I doubt you'll get a 29inch TV and a decent 5.1 Home Theater for 20k. I guess the base model Sony HT is around 14k. You could buy a 29in TV from Metro cash n Carry for a cheap price.
Old 8th August 2007, 14:54   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Guys, if you are looking for HT speaker systems, dont miss checking out KEF's KHT series. While Onkyo HT *90 series is decent value, the speakers in those packages are average, and the sub is below average. The best VFM from Onkyo is their receivers.

So the best bang for the buck when it comes to HT system -- in the context of the immediate discussion here -- is an Onkyo SR504 ($300) with KEF KHT3005 ($1100)/ KHT2005 ($500). Do give a listen to this combo, I am sure you will mark them right to the top of your list
I saw this post late, 100% with your asessment but
where did you get the price of KEG Eggs i.e. KHT 3005 to be $1100?
In India, it is priced @ Rs 95000/-...
Old 8th August 2007, 14:59   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Me have a Onkyo HT and i just love the system. Though i agree that among the package the receiver is the best and loads of features. The surround effect ain't that great. But, I am quite happy with the sub's performance and distortion at high volumes are almost non-existent, though a bit bright for my taste.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks