Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 15:57   #6376
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Defy owners

I flashed CM7 stably 7.1.0 .directly upgraded from stock 2.2 using CWM.

Everything works fine except for mobile data.wifi works fine but Edge just wont connect inspite of have the correct settings.

Any solutions?

And what is "baseband" ? do i need to change mine?if i do how do i do it?
Usually baseband is the culprit. Just search for "Baseband switcher" in xda-developers site. Its a zip file, Flash the one which has indian Baseband. In the App, select the "India Baseband", Reboot. It should be working after this.
Old 28th October 2011, 18:29   #6377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi
Friends, urgently need some advice on new android phone I need to buy for my bro. Here are the requirements -

1. Budget around 8k
2. Decent screen size - at least 3.3 inches
3. Good camera - at least 3mp with autofocus
3. Good music capabilities
4. Decent battery backup - at least a day with 15-30 minutes calls, 1 hour music, half n hour gaming etc.

I am leaning towards Dell XCD35 as it is available for less than 7k on letsbuy (with coupon). But I have read bad reviews about its battery. Is it that bad? If yes, what are the other alternatives that match above mentioned requirements?
You can also consider new Samsung Galaxy Y which is below 8K at Letsbuy. Though screen resolution is poor then XCD35, battery life will be better.
Old 28th October 2011, 22:05   #6378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
3. Is not connecting to android market thru wifi. though we can browsw thru wifi
I have an Xperia Ray, bought in India only through Flipkart. Connecting to Android market through Wifi works fine for me (both home and office wifi work fine). Infact, that is the only way I can connect as I don't have cellular data enabled yet.
Old 28th October 2011, 22:19   #6379
BANNED

Guys

I hav almost decided to go for the HTC WildFire S. Reason being I can;t stand the sight f 16:9 screens. I recently got a 4:3 CRT rather than buy a flat panel for that reason. At work I still use a T60p laptop since 5 years because all new laptops come in 16:9. And my desktop is a 16:10 screen which I like very much (16:10 yes! 16:9 NoNo!) . The Wildfire S looks 16:10 and hence is an automatic choice.

Q1: What are the negatives of this phone?
Q2: Is 12.5K a good price for this model?

--Ragul
Old 28th October 2011, 22:24   #6380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul
Guys

I hav almost decided to go for the HTC WildFire S......

--Ragul
The price is OK. There are no negatives really. The specs are not quite cutting edge or state of art, but the important thing is that it should suit your purpose. If it does, go for it.
Athani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 23:49   #6381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys

I hav almost decided to go for the HTC WildFire S. Reason being I can;t stand the sight f 16:9 screens. I recently got a 4:3 CRT rather than buy a flat panel for that reason. At work I still use a T60p laptop since 5 years because all new laptops come in 16:9. And my desktop is a 16:10 screen which I like very much (16:10 yes! 16:9 NoNo!) . The Wildfire S looks 16:10 and hence is an automatic choice.

--Ragul
Please stay away from the wildfire/wildfire S. they are too slow with a heavy sense OS and the screen resolution is horrible.get a motorola defy or a Salsa if you're keen on HTC
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 00:02   #6382
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
The price is OK. There are no negatives really. The specs are not quite cutting edge or state of art, but the important thing is that it should suit your purpose. If it does, go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Please stay away from the wildfire/wildfire S. they are too slow with a heavy sense OS and the screen resolution is horrible.get a motorola defy or a Salsa if you're keen on HTC

The pros for me are quick GPS and better battery life than most smart phones. but after reading more it looks like its not great for youtube (doesn't play flash) and browsing (low resolution). Now I'm in a dilemma. I need 2 days charging interval with good browsing screen and flash playback + quick GPS and downloadable maps.

Now what else if not Wildfire S?

--Ragul
Old 29th October 2011, 00:08   #6383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul

The pros for me are quick GPS and better battery life than most smart phones. but after reading more it looks like its not great for Youtube (doesn't play flash) and browsing (low resolution). Now I'm in a dilemma. I need 2 days charging interval with good browsing screen and flash playback + quick GPS and downloadable maps.

--Ragul
It does not have flash support but will play YouTube via the app available in the market. Yes, the screen res isn't great. Which is why I asked you to go for it only if it suits your needs. If you need better specs, then there are some good options around 15k.
Old 29th October 2011, 00:56   #6384
BHPian

I have a quick question. I want to invest in a good set of headsets that are compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. I have looked at many but I have not received positive feedback about it's compatibility. I am awaiting confirmation about the Klipsch S4A, but then again there are news doing rounds that it is not compatible. Can I get a list of GOOD Headsets that are compatible
Old 29th October 2011, 01:10   #6385
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
2. Not able to delete contacts from sim all at once.
There is some option in the contact view - "display options". Select to view only sim.

Quote:
5. Not easy to control as a nokia. Has a mind of its own. Wont do as u directed
Dude, that is why it is called a "smartphone".

Quote:
Also being symbian it requires lesser processor speeds and capacity leading to improved battery life.
If you want a no nonsense fone its gonna be nokia 700.
Have not tried custom ROMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
1. Budget around 8k
2. Decent screen size - at least 3.3 inches
3. Good camera - at least 3mp with autofocus
3. Good music capabilities
4. Decent battery backup - at least a day with 15-30 minutes calls, 1 hour music, half n hour gaming etc.
Samsung Y or S5570. For 5570 aka pop aka mini, stock battery life is very poor - up to 20 hours for somebody who does up to 60 min talk time per day.

5570 + stock gingerbread + root + CPU tuner gives up to 36 hours of standby with total 1 hr + talk time + full time GPRS on. I am currently running CM 7.1.

Other options being LG optimus 350 (if still in stock - but has 2.8 in screen). There are 3 / 4 other options from non-mainstream vendors - karbonn, micromax etc. but there is not much support for custom ROMs.

Quote:
The pros for me are quick GPS and better battery life than most smart phones. but after reading more it looks like its not great for Youtube (doesn't play flash) and browsing (low resolution). Now I'm in a dilemma. I need 2 days charging interval with good browsing screen and flash playback + quick GPS and downloadable maps.

Not even with stock room??
Old 29th October 2011, 09:07   #6386
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
5570 + stock gingerbread + root + CPU tuner gives up to 36 hours of standby with total 1 hr + talk time + full time GPRS on. I am currently running CM 7.1.

but there is not much support for custom ROMs.

Not even with stock room??
Hmm I am not up to speed on Android platform, but I can hack my way if you gimme some pointers. So there is a cpu tooner available to improve battery life on all smart phones? ho much do phones really gain across the board? 20% 40%?
So some phones allow installing a custom ROM? What does it do?

Lastly Duh... but what is a stock room?

--Ragul
Old 29th October 2011, 10:10   #6387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The pros for me are quick GPS and better battery life than most smart phones. ... I need 2 days charging interval with good browsing screen and flash playback + quick GPS and downloadable maps.

--Ragul
Where are you getting your info? My wife has wildfire S and she is a light user. Her battery barely lasts 15-16 hours. My Defy easily lasts 2 times longer despite having more usage and 3 times the resolution.
Old 29th October 2011, 10:17   #6388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Samsung Y or S5570. For 5570 aka pop aka mini, stock battery life is very poor - up to 20 hours for somebody who does up to 60 min talk time per day.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I'm looking at Samsung Fit. Dell XCD35 has been ruled out because of lots of users reporting issues with battery and heating issue.

Is CM7.1 supported on all Samsung Androids? I don't see Pop mentioned on their website.
Old 29th October 2011, 10:23   #6389
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Where are you getting your info? My wife has wildfire S and she is a light user. Her battery barely lasts 15-16 hours. My Defy easily lasts 2 times longer despite having more usage and 3 times the resolution.
phonearena site. I googled for custom ROMs and an exciting world opened up for me. Now I am all gung-ho on spending up to 15K (by a stretch) for a good screen. Only catch I dont want it slim and long but a little wide with 800x480 res - I need to be able read webpages without zooming.

The battery life requirement is mainly because I am hopelessly absent minded, never remember to charge even with the charger in sight.

--Ragul
Old 29th October 2011, 14:38   #6390
BHPian

I have decided on LG Optimus One P500 after lots of searching around. Does anyone have a valid Letsbuy coupon? I have tried ICICILB, RCOMLB1 etc but nothing works. Please PM me the coupon code if you have one.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks