Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 18:07   #6826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
hello people!

I'm looking for an Android smart phone within 14K INR. This will be my first advanced phone(I own a Nokia 1100). I have shortlisted Motorola Defy, samsung Galaxy ace but I'm open to suggestions. What features to look for in these phones? My main usage will be limited to surfing and listening to music.

Plz help me!
Only benefits of ace are the (purportedly) better camera and the brand. Rest everything - moddability, ROMs, sturdiness, overclocking ability, screen, loudspeaker are all better on defy. of course, you get free glances from well wishers "Does motorola still sell phones?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I wish he goes the SGS2 route.

My review of Note - If you want a phone and you will majorly use that device only for calling or messaging it has to be the SGS2.

If you use it extensively for office work as well like me, Note makes a great sense.

Used it yesterday and i can say i will get one in the next month or so
Like I said - power to you. Its a lovely device to consume data and has the most awesome screen in that size & the battery.

But if its a primary phone and one is going to use it on the move and type *a bit* then the form factor of all phones (like S2) trumps it anyday.

If I'd ever get it - i'd prolly buy a qwerty blackberry as the primary phone as well
Old 4th December 2011, 18:59   #6827
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have some questions.

I dont have the data connection active as i am on roaming. i am trying to download some apps for my phone. Everytime i do so from my pc i get a message saying no android device registered. is there a way i can by pass this a download the apps for my phone on my PC and then transfer it?

Pramod
Old 4th December 2011, 19:26   #6828
e46
BHPian

folks,
with the price of Galaxy R I9103 now being 22,900, how do you feel? is it a worthy buy? responses would be helpful.
Also is it gonna get ICS?

Abhishek
Old 4th December 2011, 20:05   #6829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Yebhi.com? ever bought anything from there? and how long will it take a week? i am saying i bought a white one for 28k off the shelf. And yes there will be a margin which every shop guy will charge and that margin is not applicable when bought off the internet. so how is my information wrong? before making such remarks atleast do your homework. I bought this from Delhi even if i live in kerala. I saw all the internet sites and nothing was cheaper than 27k and for 27k you will get a black one not a white one, white one is 28k with bill and 27k grey.

Pramod
yaar,

brevity was an issue last time but the tongue in cheek point i was making is that today ecommerce items can be bought at unbelievable deals esp with one-off coupons. so there may always be data points one may not know of, therefore "best deal in the entire city" often isnt the case.

Regarding my homework - you want the email of the gent in question who bought it?

letsbuy had no rep six months back and a sad rep shortly afterwards (10 days for shipping SGSL!)

and it took about 10 days incl dussehra holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
folks,
with the price of Galaxy R I9103 now being 22,900, how do you feel? is it a worthy buy? responses would be helpful.
Also is it gonna get ICS?

Abhishek
oh.my.god.

That is truly a lovely buy in that case unless you want the sAMOLED screen! LB has a 5% off coupon btw.

ICS - u'll need to check samsung site.
Old 5th December 2011, 11:06   #6830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
A quick update.
Reinstalled the Wajkiui ROM, set the CPU to 1GHZ/58Vsel. The battery temperature was constant 38C minimum. (During day, out in the sun, it will cross 40-41C)

Also there seems to be some issue with graphics as I was trying Quadrant benchmark, the 3D test was showing all white objects.
BTW, the score was 2368

SO I changed my ROM to CM7.1 Update 11.11.11.
Seems faster than Wajikiui, also I did not face any graphic related issues till now. Quadrant score is 2015.
Been hardly 20 Mins using it.

Currently searching for a method to update the Indian Baseband into Cm7's existing list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
[Tool] basebandswitcher V4 multilanguage V0.7 (22.07.2011) - xda-developers - download and flash it via recovery, then run it.

Good to see now you're setting voltages just fine as well
Thanks. I installed the new apk extracted from Wajkiui thread & its good now.

Update on CM 7.1 usage:
Been using it since 1Dec. Battery life is good. Lasts for 2-3Days.
The Browser takes lots of CPU & Battery time. Also my phone temp raised to 47C . Thats like frying chips.
So now, I have set below CPU Clocks: 300/30-600/40-900/54 which seems stable by far.

Still I did not like below things of CM7.1:
The contacts list is not good, cant make groups.
The messaging application is very basic, the FROYO one is much better.
Music player is downgraded

BTW, Is there any was to install MIUI versions of Contacts, Music Player, Camera & Messaging apps?
Old 5th December 2011, 11:49   #6831
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Bluenegle180 for your suggestion on the phone.

Guys, after reading a lot of reviews and going through the video reviews, I went ahead and bought Dell XCD35. You may wonder why did I make this move. My primary requirement was:

1. Good development support - I intend to do coding on Android apps.
2. Good Wifi connectivity and browsing experience
3. GPS navigation and offline maps (Gmaps 5.8)
4. Good phone call reception for 2G

I was least bothered about camera so it was not in my *should have good camera* list.

The best thing about XCD35 is its screen. It has 3.5 inch capacitive screen with a resolution of 480 * 800. The best in this range of phones. People have praised its browsing experience. It has got a 600 low end processor but then I hardly play games so it was ok with me.

I got it for 8599/- on flipkart.com and should take around 4 days to reach me. For this money, I think this was a sensible choice, once I am well versed with Android, I will upgrade to expensive and powerful phone. I also looked at LG Optimus Net, Samsung Pop and Fit. I will put a small review once I use the phone for some time.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:27   #6832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Thanks Bluenegle180 for your suggestion on the phone.

Guys, after reading a lot of reviews and going through the video reviews, I went ahead and bought Dell XCD35. You may wonder why did I make this move. My primary requirement was:

1. Good development support - I intend to do coding on Android apps.
2. Good Wifi connectivity and browsing experience
4. Good phone call reception for 2G

I was least bothered about camera so it was not in my *should have good camera* list.

The best thing about XCD35 is its screen. It has 3.5 inch capacitive screen with a resolution of 480 * 800. The best in this range of phones. People have praised its browsing experience. It has got a 600 low end processor but then I hardly play games so it was ok with me.

I got it for 8599/- on flipkart.com and should take around 4 days to reach me. For this money, I think this was a sensible choice, once I am well versed with Android, I will upgrade to expensive and powerful phone. I also looked at LG Optimus Net, Samsung Pop and Fit. I will put a small review once I use the phone for some time.

Congratulations on your purchase.the phone might ship with 2.1,if that is the case get it upgraded to 2.2 from the service center for free.

And if you are comfortable with going the custom OS route. snap on an Cynogenmod + launcher pro combo and you'll be running at twice the speed of the official 2.2 (cynogenmod is 2.3)

I would strongly recommend getting a silicon case.which is impossible to find in local markets.PM for any queries regarding accessories/software/hardware

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 5th December 2011 at 12:28.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:38   #6833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase.the phone might ship with 2.1,if that is the case get it upgraded to 2.2 from the service center for free.
Latest XCD35 units are coming preloaded with Froyo. RAM is 512mb (constrast to 256 documented everywhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys, after reading a lot of reviews and going through the video reviews, I went ahead and bought Dell XCD35.
Congrats for the purchase. I too bought this mobile for my bro a month back. I ordered it for 7.8k from letsbuy with a coupon. Its the best VFM phone sans camera.

Which offline maps are you talking about here? Are you referring to Google Maps?
Old 5th December 2011, 12:56   #6834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Latest XCD35 units are coming preloaded with Froyo. RAM is 512mb (constrast to 256 documented everywhere).

Congrats for the purchase. I too bought this mobile for my bro a month back. I ordered it for 7.8k from letsbuy with a coupon. Its the best VFM phone sans camera.

Which offline maps are you talking about here? Are you referring to Google Maps?
The handset comes with 512 MB RAM and 2.2 Android as per people who bought it from Flipkart.

I am talking about the Google maps which as a new feature wherein you can download maps in the radius of 10 miles from your selected place on the map.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:59   #6835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I have some questions.

I dont have the data connection active as i am on roaming. i am trying to download some apps for my phone. Everytime i do so from my pc i get a message saying no android device registered. is there a way i can by pass this a download the apps for my phone on my PC and then transfer it?

Pramod

Common guys a little help here, nobody knows what to do?

Pramod
Old 5th December 2011, 15:15   #6836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
assuming your laptops on a wired network, why not get some freeware hotspot s/w for your laptop, and connect your phone to it?

Edit:
else youll have to look for apks in some obscure bay.

Last edited by mayankk : 5th December 2011 at 15:17.
Old 5th December 2011, 15:18   #6837
Senior - BHPian

That is some interesting feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Thanks. I installed the new apk extracted from Wajkiui thread & its good now.

Update on CM 7.1 usage:
Been using it since 1Dec. Battery life is good. Lasts for 2-3Days.
The Browser takes lots of CPU & Battery time. Also my phone temp raised to 47C .
weird. i use miren browser. NEVER so hot.
Thats like frying chips.
So now, I have set below CPU Clocks: 300/30-600/40-900/54 which seems stable by far.

Still I did not like below things of CM7.1:
The contacts list is not good, cant make groups.
The messaging application is very basic, the FROYO one is much better.
Music player is downgraded
LOL. the market and WajkiUI is your friend.

BTW, Is there any was to install MIUI versions of Contacts, Music Player, Camera & Messaging apps?
Very tough. wajkiUI is the answer.
Old 5th December 2011, 16:24   #6838
BHPian

My Defy battery life sucks! Even with CM7, It hardly lasts 12 hours average with very moderate calls and minimal internet usage. . and the data connectivity gets lost often too. Will try base band switcher suggested by @phamilyman. Hope it solves these problems.

PS: I usually kill the processes/applications that I do not use.

Last edited by whitesquall : 5th December 2011 at 16:34.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:16   #6839
Senior - BHPian

^@whitesquall: You can give it a try.
But, I don't think the basebandswitcher will do anything for you. I remember now that I had downloaded that file (and mentioned about it a few pages back). But I never really installed it. I am using the "Central Europe, Germany...." values (I am on Android 2.3.7 (CM 7.1.0.11) and I have no issues with data/ calls or even battery. My battery charging is every 3rd day with moderate phone usage.

One thing I noticed is that the battery usage shows Sygic using a significant amount of battery, though I have not launched the application for more than a week.
At the moment Sygic has apparently used 30% battery (I had charged last evening - 1 day 10 minutes ago). Even before that charging, Sygic was using around 25-30% battery.
I thought the usage stats is reset after each charge cycle. Isn't it so?
Old 5th December 2011, 17:46   #6840
BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
Why don't you share your PC internet with your phone using USB tethering or make your laptop a wifi hotspot.

Most Viewed