Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:42   #7201
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have a Desire S (bought in UK - unbranded, unlocked) and the build version is 1.28.401.1, Adroid 2.3.3 and Sense 2.1. Read that there have been updates released in UK/Europe, but my phone is not catching any so far. Any thoughts?
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:03   #7202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru
My LG O1 - P500 does some weird things when kept for charging. It just stops responding to our inputs, and also the screen acts as if it has a mind of its own like pressing itself, which i can only watch. This stops once, the phone is off the charge.

I am on Android 2.3.3 and Software Version LG-P500-V20C.

Please advice.
This exact thing used to happen to my o1 when I used a faulty after market charger. The fault is in the charger my friend.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:22   #7203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare
I have a Desire S (bought in UK - unbranded, unlocked) and the build version is 1.28.401.1, Adroid 2.3.3 and Sense 2.1. Read that there have been updates released in UK/Europe, but my phone is not catching any so far. Any thoughts?
I'm facing the same problem. Find a VPN that is local to your purchase country and give it a try. Worked for me.

From a quick search you'll be able to find and download the legal firmware from one of the forums. You will lose connectivity to kies though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My LG O1 - P500 does some weird things when kept for charging. It just stops responding to our inputs, and also the screen acts as if it has a mind of its own like pressing itself, which i can only watch. This stops once, the phone is off the charge.

I am on Android 2.3.3 and Software Version LG-P500-V20C.

Please advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
This exact thing used to happen to my o1 when I used a faulty after market charger. The fault is in the charger my friend.
i9000 with vendor supplied charger here. Mine doesn't quite misbehave as much, although the screen does not recognise touch as good as it does when it isn't charging.

My iberry BT10 tablet behaves exactly like your LG does when it is being charged, almost uncontrollable if you ask me. I'm starting to think that this problem is limited to android devices.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd January 2012 at 18:05. Reason: Merging post
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:59   #7204
Senior - BHPian

Latest news for S2 for ICS ROM:

Quote:
The Galaxy S II is getting even more attention, with a duo of Ice Cream Sandwich versions landing on that capacious 4.3-inch screen. They consist of an early Android 4.0.1 build made on December 20th and version 4.0.3 crafted just ten days later. The interesting part is that, according to YouMobile, both of these will arrive through Kies, Samsung's Android connectivity software. The mobile news site also suspects that these are close (but still buggy) approximations of what we'll see on our as-yet un-tinkered Galaxy S IIs in the very near future. These Kies-capable builds also have a few cosmetic differences to the build leaked earlier, like a distinct lack of Tron hues adorning the notification bar at the top.
Samsung Galaxy S II gets new ICS ROM, offers Kies to the kingdom (video) -- Engadget

Last edited by _raVan_ : 3rd January 2012 at 10:01.
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:37   #7205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I'm facing the same problem. Find a VPN that is local to your purchase country and give it a try. Worked for me.

From a quick search you'll be able to find and download the legal firmware from one of the forums. You will lose connectivity to kies though.
I had a Wildfire device (bought in UK) earlier and that caught the upgrades on Indian mobile/wifi connections. Not sure why the Desire S is acting like this? Would like to keep it simple and not really interested in the download route.

BTW, do you think it's wort upgrading the software?
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:00   #7206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Quote:
i9000 with vendor supplied charger here. Mine doesn't quite misbehave as much, although the screen does not recognise touch as good as it does when it isn't charging.

My iberry BT10 tablet behaves exactly like your LG does when it is being charged, almost uncontrollable if you ask me. I'm starting to think that this problem is limited to android devices.
The issue could be the charger or the power source itself, may be with some voltage in the neutral line. I had similar issues when I connected my Dell laptop to a train's power plug - the touch pad behaved erratically and cursor used to move all by itself. After a week, the battery died. Stop using aftermarket chargers and also check your power source for issues.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd January 2012 at 14:14.
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:43   #7207
BHPian

Has anybody here faced issues while connecting your samsung phone to Kies? I am trying to connect my S2 to Kies but its fails to connect. It connected once but after that, it disconnects and does not connect again. Windows keeps detecting the device and again looses connection to the device. Is there any solution to this? For the brief moment that the phone was connected, i was prompted to upgrade the device firmware but could not complete the process.

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 3rd January 2012 at 15:00.
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:50   #7208
BHPian

Why is it that a better spec'd Galaxy R cheaper than Galaxy S plus ? Save for the Amoled screen Galaxy R is better in every aspect. Is there any catch ?
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:52   #7209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Has anybody here faced issues while connecting your samsung phone to Kies? I am trying to connect my S2 to Kies but its fails to connect. It connected once but after that, it disconnects and does not connect again. Windows keeps detecting the device and again looses connection to the device. Is there any solution to this? For the brief moment that the phone was connected, i was prompted to upgrade the device firmware but could;d not complete the process.
I would suggest that you re-install the drivers. There's a trouble shoot in the latest Kies if you have it, else just search for them.
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:56   #7210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The issue could be the charger or the power source itself, may be with some voltage in the neutral line. I had similar issues when I connected my Dell laptop to a train's power plug - the touch pad behaved erratically and cursor used to move all by itself. After a week, the battery died. Stop using aftermarket chargers and also check your power source for issues.
I'm not sure if the problem is because of the power source, especially since this happens when I charge through USB as well. I'm using an XPS 15z L502x, so the output at the USB end must be fine.
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:08   #7211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Why is it that a better spec'd Galaxy R cheaper than Galaxy S plus ? Save for the Amoled screen Galaxy R is better in every aspect. Is there any catch ?
The AMOLED screen is expensive. hence the R versions are cheaper than their S counterparts
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:29   #7212
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that you re-install the drivers. There's a trouble shoot in the latest Kies if you have it, else just search for them.
I re installed using the trouble shoot but still i see the same issue. I will search various forums for a solution
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:18   #7213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure if the problem is because of the power source, especially since this happens when I charge through USB as well. I'm using an XPS 15z L502x, so the output at the USB end must be fine.
Are you experiencing this issue when you charge through USB port of the laptop when it is running on batteries? Then the issue could be something else.

If the laptop or PC is connected to mains and you are charging the phone through its USB, it can still happen.

If you have the neutral (to ground) voltage at an unacceptable level in your place, you need to report it to the power provider.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd January 2012 at 17:24.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:57   #7214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Are you experiencing this issue when you charge through USB port of the laptop when it is running on batteries? Then the issue could be something else.

If the laptop or PC is connected to mains and you are charging the phone through its USB, it can still happen.

If you have the neutral (to ground) voltage at an unacceptable level in your place, you need to report it to the power provider.
I'm not sure if the issue is as compliacted as you think. Considering that 2 of my android devices, tablet and smartphone, face a similar issue with varying seriousness, I can confidently say that the problem is with the device and not the laptop or its USB port. If others are facing the same problem then I'm assuming that it is a known issue that is waiting to be fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I had a Wildfire device (bought in UK) earlier and that caught the upgrades on Indian mobile/wifi connections. Not sure why the Desire S is acting like this? Would like to keep it simple and not really interested in the download route.

BTW, do you think it's wort upgrading the software?
Is it worth upgrading ? In my opinion, no. You must be on 2.3.x and what's out there is 2.3.(4,5 or 6), so nothing significant. I would wait for the ICS value pack that Samsung has promised to release. Give this article a read.

Latest official Gingerbread update for GalaxyS in India

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2012 at 08:24.
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:09   #7215
Senior - BHPian

A small review on the note after extensive usage

- Brilliant coming from SGS2.
- SGS2 feels so small that i havent touched it in the last two weeks. All other phones to me feels absolutely insignificant.
- Very fast in standard ROM and can definitely feel the responsiveness when i root it and upgrade.
- Amazing video play back capability. The world of SGS2 which showed or paved way for watching video on phones just went up few dozen notches. The experience of watching videos is just unrealistic. Absolutely fantastic.
- Games - This is just another area where this note beats my SGS2.

Some detail points:-
- Typing is the place where the biggest gain is. The screen size lets placement of alphabets very well that for big hands typing becomes easier.
- On the go Edit just because so easy. Specially if you trying to take some quick direction notes or some picture the touch screen with stylus jumps to your aid and makes things far easier.
- Taking office notes became easy and portable. Just take notes in the phone and email the less than 100Kb file to your desktop.
- Stylus is a great addition.
- Speakers are fantastic. The sound quality is definitely better than SGS2. I dont sound like a rat speaking from a well anymore to the other side.
- Size is not BIG for big hands. Sits well in trouser or shirt pocket. Not even once i felt the size to be hard to use.
- Great camera and great sounds
- Mail box looks far bigger and easier to view mails. Still lacks HTML support where some attachments along with mails dont get displayed easilly.
- No hindrance to use the phone as a phone.

Now the biggest gain is the battery life. Lasts easilly a day and half on stock with similar usage compared to SGS2. Though this was expected knowing the size of the battery and oomph of the battery. Yet the note performs with no lags and still maintans over 40% after 24hours.

Bad points:-
The back soft button always intervenes with stylus. Using stylus in portrait mode often sends to out of the memo as your palm always hits the back button. Design flaw which can be fixed if we can disable back button while using stylus.

Size is small and screen is huge. Always prone to damage when it drops down by mistake.

No variety of custom roms.

Overall a great buy for me as it does dwarf the SGS2 and the speed is not disappointing after coming from SGS2.

Its a five star for me.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks