Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 21:46   #7936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here's another Dumb beginner's Questionabout buying apps from Android Market. I'm not enthusiastic about trusting financial transactions, banking/card details, etc to Google. I guess the thing is run by Google, and I have no choice?
Android Market is the default market to buy apps, but you can try getting apps from GetJar, AppBrain etc. If your level of trust with these markets is any better, that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
from someone who hasn't been a teenager for decades
Ha ha... Made me shockingly realize that I have more than a decade between my current self and my teenager days :(

Last edited by clevermax : 26th February 2012 at 21:48.
Old 26th February 2012, 22:07   #7937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Almost one and a half year since I've used the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro and now willing to go for another Android device. This time I want to do a through research and buy the best hardware. My requirements are as follows:

(1) Powerful hardware
(2) Medium sized screen (greater than Xperia Mini Pro but lesser than the current Samsung Galaxy)
(3) Definitely good battery life. My colleague uses a Samsung Galaxy and finds it often Problem with the battery life

Please suggest me a good device.
Why does everyone talk about the Iphone 4S on the Android thread

Do you like the Lumia 800 or the coming 900? That also satisfies above criteria.
Old 26th February 2012, 22:13   #7938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
I do not have any budget in mind. Most of th mobile phones here are given with a contract and the cost of the phone will be minimal.

It is very true that the battery life is not so good with smart phones, but I guess with a minimal screen size, the battery life should also increase. I would mostly opt for a 3.7" screen size. Any devices in that size range?
If your only concern with big screen= more power consumption, then that may not be the case always, as amoled screens drinks less juice. If its purely for ease of use then its a different story.

BTW, there is a phone which meets most of your requirements apart from moderate screen size: IMO, have a look at specs & reviews of Motorola RAZR MAXX. Which has powerful dual core processor, nice super AMOLED screen (4.3"), beefed up sgx540 GPU & a super heavy duty battery .. all in a slim package.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:34   #7939
BANNED

Any ideas about the new htc One X (Quad core) and One V (single core). The specs look really good ICS with Sense 4, etc. Got this in the mailer from htc this morning. Both are GSM phones. I am sure the CDMA (esp. of X) will be coming from one of the big boys in the US (and maybe China) and our gurus will have cracked versions available pretty soon.

dkaile your comments please.
Old 27th February 2012, 10:25   #7940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
Maybe. But I'm guessing its the release of their new phones for 2012.
HTC launched few new models HTC One X series. It has impressive specs. Though I have never been a fan of HTC as they are bulkier/heavy as compared to Samsung. I am still waiting eagerly for SGS3.
Old 27th February 2012, 10:46   #7941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you like the Lumia 800 or the coming 900? That also satisfies above criteria
The lumina devices mail integration is fantastic unlike the crappy android one. If mail is one of the important criteria Iphone or Lumia would be my choice.

Android mail app is just crappy. Cant even search names with alias nor can it display the details from the server.

The lumia 7 series is what i saw and can say its one of the best phones from Nokia. For the cost of 15K this phone would be my preference over some of the android phones.

Do you guys have any idea for a better mail applciation that helps with search, details of contacts directly from server or something similar too iphone for android?
Old 27th February 2012, 11:25   #7942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The lumina devices mail integration is fantastic unlike the crappy android one. If mail is one of the important criteria Iphone or Lumia would be my choice.

Do you guys have any idea for a better mail applciation that helps with search, details of contacts directly from server or something similar too iphone for android?

I am using a SGS2 and inbuild mail on which my office mail(Outlook) is configured does this for me very easily. The moment i start typing name is To: it automatically starts searching the name from server and resolves it very quickly. For Yahoo, Mail yahoo app does this job brilliantly for me.
Old 27th February 2012, 11:27   #7943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Forget about searching. MS Activesync is not supported on Android GB as the current version does not support encryption. While some admin do allow accessing mails(mine doesn't so I just can't access my official mails ), search and other functions are not allowed due to this issue.

I used to have seamless OL integration on my phone with Symbian, but on Andriod I am waiting for ICS to solve this. This is my biggest and probably the only grouse on Android. Any idea if ICS supports encryption?
Old 27th February 2012, 11:50   #7944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Why does everyone talk about the Iphone 4S on the Android thread

Do you like the Lumia 800 or the coming 900? That also satisfies above criteria.
Where did I? And why do you suggest a Windows mobile in an Android forum?

I would never buy a Windows mobile ever. Don't know for what reason!
Old 27th February 2012, 12:05   #7945
Senior - BHPian

HTC has a brilliant spec for their new flagship models. But I wonder why didnt they opt for AMOLED screen on the One X. They went ahead with AMOLED screen only for the One S. Also, they preferred to keep out the microSD slot and FM out of their flagship models?
Old 27th February 2012, 12:15   #7946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980

Where did I? And why do you suggest a Windows mobile in an Android forum?

I would never buy a Windows mobile ever. Don't know for what reason!
Oh well I meant your requirements are satisfied by only iPhone 4S. Small screen droids do not have top of the line specs, neither is their battery performance impressive unless you go for monster battery phone like MAXX.

Win phone is not bad really if you look at battery. I have an HTC radar that gives 4 days between charges. Same spec battery is there in my HTC Sensation that I charge every night. No smartphone comes close to win phone in battery performance!
Old 27th February 2012, 12:23   #7947
BHPian

Quote:

Android mail app is just crappy. Cant even search names with alias nor can it display the details from the server.

The lumia 7 series is what i saw and can say its one of the best phones from Nokia. For the cost of 15K this phone would be my preference over some of the android phones.

The default android mail application doesn't do justice to the business users. Of course, there are nice third party apps but. Windows phones are supposed to have the best mail integration since they are the authors of EAS. Being said that, I use Enhanced email. Much better than stock android. There are friends of mine using Moxier mail also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Forget about searching. MS Activesync is not supported on Android GB as the current version does not support encryption. While some admin do allow accessing mails(mine doesn't so I just can't access my official mails), search and other functions are not allowed due to this issue.

I used to have seamless OL integration on my phone with Symbian, but on Andriod I am waiting for ICS to solve this. This is my biggest and probably the only grouse on Android. Any idea if ICS supports encryption?
MS ActiveSync is supported on GB. What is not supported is some of the device policies, say encryption. ICS will come with better mail integration (read device encryption). I am still enjoying active sync on Android since our mail policies are a bit on the relaxed side For GAL search, I suggest a freeware from market.

https://market.android.com/details?i...2l5ZXIuR0FMIl0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
HTC has a brilliant spec for their new flagship models. But I wonder why didnt they opt for AMOLED screen on the One X. They went ahead with AMOLED screen only for the One S. Also, they preferred to keep out the microSD slot and FM out of their flagship models?
They keep something out of every flagships. HTC One X and Titan II specs looks breathtaking. Now, waiting for Atrix 3.
Old 27th February 2012, 12:43   #7948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak

HTC launched few new models HTC One X series. It has impressive specs. Though I have never been a fan of HTC as they are bulkier/heavy as compared to Samsung. I am still waiting eagerly for SGS3.
They may not be bulkier, but are heavy than Samsung. But that's okay because my phone is having a metal body... Fell down few times from my pocket and hand, not even a scratch, excellent build quality.
Old 27th February 2012, 12:47   #7949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

MS ActiveSync is supported on GB. What is not supported is some of the device policies, say encryption. ICS will come with better mail integration (read device encryption). I am still enjoying active sync on Android since our mail policies are a bit on the relaxed side For GAL search, I suggest a freeware from market.
My bad. I didn't exactly mean not supported, it is there, but it is as good as not being there. The most people got out of it is reading the mails period. No contact sync, no calendar sync and other host of features that are inherent to other OS phones.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:02   #7950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
My bad. I didn't exactly mean not supported, it is there, but it is as good as not being there. The most people got out of it is reading the mails period. No contact sync, no calendar sync and other host of features that are inherent to other OS phones.
I like to differ here. I use EAS on Xperia Neo. It supports.

1) Mail Sync
2) Contacts Sync
3) Calendar Sync
4) Real time e-mail id search from server

Some third party apps like Moxier supports syncing Tasks also. What is missing is support for some EAS policies. Being said that, my Symbian used to drain battery very fast when Push mail is enabled, but not android. Also, mail integration depends on device also I believe. I have an Atrix in my office which allows "Out of Office" also

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks