Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 19:22   #8776
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Dudes,

With due respect, N_A is pretty much the ONLY chap out of 50+ BHPians who have the Defy/Defy+ who had such issues. I agree it has been a bad experience but for God's sake the ace plus is a crappier phone on almost all parameters. We've been through that comparison many times. You can see Neo etc but not Ace!
+1. I am "learning" android on my wife's Defy for the past 6 months. I have tried numerous ROMs. Currently running WIUI for the past 3 months. Its rock solid. I haven't faced any WiFi disconnection. Random reeboots? Whats that With due respect, Ace Plus screen is nowhere comparable to that of Defys. Plus that the rugged chassis make Defy the best in the price range. My kid throws it at least 4-5 times daily whenever Talking Tom stop talking and still its going as strong as day one. One off cases to be discarded I guess. And one more, name me one other phone which has so much custom ROM support.
Old 26th April 2012, 19:51   #8777
BHPian

I have flashed my defy with a lot of different roms/nightlies and have never faced random reboots in any of the roms. Currently I am on CM9 ICS 4.0.4 which is still in its initial phases of development in terms of porting on Defy. Still it gives me an incredible battery life and usage of all the features of the phone. What I am trying to put across is that the strong developer community working on this phone makes it even a better buy, as you are always on the cutting edge technology(as they say). I agree that the camera is not one of the best in the class, however the ruggedness, the awesome screen, speakers and the sweet roms available for it make up for it. Personally I am 110% satisfied with the phone.
Old 26th April 2012, 19:55   #8778
Distinguished - BHPian

I trawled for Defy comments here before buying, and am another almost-satisfied customer. I would agree that the camera sucks though, it is dreadful, and if I'd known how bad it was I might have bought something else.

On the customer service front, I don't see many dealers. One thing that means is that when I need to buy a new battery, it is not going to be available from a shop around the corner. Anything like that is going to mean buying online. Minor nuisance, I suppose.
Old 26th April 2012, 21:04   #8779
Team-BHP Support

Wow, I am checking this thread after 12 hours, and Defy is the center of attention today.

My Defy completed a year this week: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2323990 (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods)

Undoubtedly the best phone I owned until now, previously I have owned phones that cost twice much, including iPhone 3GS. Is the Defy+ as good as the old Defy, I don't know.

Phamilyman, thanks for the tip on WajkIUI. I'll try that.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th April 2012 at 21:10.
Old 26th April 2012, 21:56   #8780
Senior - BHPian

thanks a lot for all the inputs from all of you. N_A i understand what you gone through and feel sorry for you but as far as my understanding goes most service centres are sailing in same boat. I had a samsung galaxy sl i9003 and on one occassion when i wasnt able to update the os, the service centre wanted me to leave the handset with them for 5-7 days to check and give feedback.

Glad i looked up on xda / tbhp and figured out it was an hrs job. I have cancelled by cancellation and decided to go ahead with Defy+. Got a deal from a local store @ 15350/-. Picking it up tomorrow morning. Hope the jump is worthy.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your valueable inputs.

Regards,
Old 26th April 2012, 23:37   #8781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l
thanks a lot for all the inputs from all of you. N_A i understand what you gone through and feel sorry for you but as far as my understanding goes most service centres are sailing in same boat. I had a samsung galaxy sl i9003 and on one occassion when i wasnt able to update the os, the service centre wanted me to leave the handset with them for 5-7 days to check and give feedback.

Glad i looked up on xda / tbhp and figured out it was an hrs job. I have cancelled by cancellation and decided to go ahead with Defy+. Got a deal from a local store @ 15350/-. Picking it up tomorrow morning. Hope the jump is worthy.

Regards,
You won't be dissappointed with Defy+. I own a Defy with red lens. Which essentially same as defy+. My defy also completed a year last week & I been enjoying it as ever. Have rooted it using custom ROM still no issues whatsoever.
It got gorrila glass & nice n sturdy body, the proof of its Life proof tag can be given by many Defy owners here. I myself been using it without any scratch guard or external case. No problem till now. If I ever get bored with it, I will simply flash one of those ICS based ROM & my phone is again new.

Don't worry about after sales much, lets hope you won't even need it with Defy.
Old 27th April 2012, 00:43   #8782
Senior - BHPian

Any people waiting for Galaxy S3 might want to wait a bit more.

HTC is allegedly getting a Samsung Galaxy Note competitor ready. The device will have a huge 5-inch display, but it’s not just the size that’s mind-boggling - it’s the resolution. The 5-inch screen will have a 1080x1920 pixels of resolution (meaning 1080p), and it will be an RGB display, not the sub-par PenTile one. If your head isn’t swirling yet wait until you hear about a quad-core Krait processor humming inside (28nm technology) and the Adreno 320 GPU taking care of graphics. The upcoming HTC device will debut Sense 5.0 and there will be a Scribe pen.

Last edited by joslicx : 27th April 2012 at 00:50.
Old 27th April 2012, 07:14   #8783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Regards,
Harshal,

My man - now now now. This thread is having more turns than an Agatha christie movie. Let me put my thoughts clearly:
a. N_A's case clearly was mishandled at more levels than one. Just plain unfortunate. However, all i ask is to look at things in context. All brands have lemon pieces (think of humyum's trouble with his VDi) - sometimes they screw up. I personally believe such cases are complicated since these problems are beyond the usual mobile mechanic's experience, and India doesnt have a culture of NQA returns so things can get complicated. Then it becomes a file which can take time just like that (ALL cos are bureaucratic).
b. Defy is otherwise a fantastic phone and definitely well made. As you have seen many of us vouch - its a pretty decent all around phone.
c. It clearly trumps Ace on almost all parameters:
- Ace is a 600mhz phone overclocked by Samsung in hardware to 800 mhz, while defy is a 800 mhz phone OCable to 1-1.1ghz easily and even more if u wish. (ace+/defy+ have gone up by similar amounts)
- much better GPU (A:adreno 200 vs the Dowervr sgx535)
- one of the most incredible non-xenon flashes you'll see on a phone
- ace 320x480 screen vs defy 480x854. No freaking comparison!
- Defy is waterproof - though i suspect over time, the charging point seal may not remain 100% so. Despite my abuse and a screen shatter, its still water proof
- It has far more dev support (see posts by nishantgandhi here on Ace custom ROMs last year)
where defy sucks:
- blur is as bad or bit worse than touchwiz (but then everyone roots !!!)
- camera is quite pathetic in general.

Lastly, DONT jump so quickly back on the defy bandwagon. Honestly, promise us you won't buy anything till Monday. Just go out there, check out any phones with a 480x800 screen or better. Touch, feel, browse/explore them and then on Monday morning see which phone is one which STICKS in your mind. Like a wise gent here once said, its as much a decision of the brain as it is an affair of the heart.

Infact, lastly if u can spend 15.5k - spend 2 min and see if you can pickup the LG Optimus 2x. Websites have it for 19.5k. Since you have already had the Ace - you should now logically step up to dual core!
Old 27th April 2012, 08:49   #8784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
b. Defy is otherwise a fantastic phone and definitely well made. As you have seen many of us vouch - its a pretty decent all around phone.
Arre yaar phamilyman. You should now upgrade from the Defy. Bahut purana ho gaya hai. Think of the X factor and get a HTC...
Old 27th April 2012, 08:55   #8785
Senior - BHPian

i need to buy a phone for my dad.

what's good in 15k range. I am looking at Samsung ACE Plus, is it any good. any other options?
Old 27th April 2012, 09:00   #8786
Distinguished - BHPian

First in depth review of the Lava XOLO X900 from Anandtech. XOLO is the first Intel based phone. In summary although it is not a flagship or a must have device, it performs pretty well when compared to competition. Its near the top in performance and somewhere in the mid range in most other benchmarks. One factor not considered in this review is the price as compared to the competition. Considering that the specs are comparable to most of the phones in the comparison, at Rs 22,000 it is several thousand cheaper than most of the main phones in the comparison. Seems like a good deal to me. I also had a chance to spend a few minutes with the device and was pretty impressed overall.

Here is the link to the full review.

AnandTech - Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone
Old 27th April 2012, 09:01   #8787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i need to buy a phone for my dad.

what's good in 15k range. I am looking at Samsung ACE Plus, is it any good. any other options?
welcome to the same doubt. I have been in market on a lookout for a 15K android or win os phone. If you go through last 2 pages on this thread, you may have your answer

from whatever little knowledge i have, Defy+ if you want android or Omnia W / Lumia 710 if you like Win OS.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:08   #8788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
welcome to the same doubt. I have been in market on a lookout for a 15K android or win os phone. If you go through last 2 pages on this thread, you may have your answer

from whatever little knowledge i have, Defy+ if you want android or Omnia W / Lumia 710 if you like Win OS.
My dad has 2 requirements. It has to be either Samsung or Nokia. Another is it should be touch screen and easy to use. i did go through the last two pages. But i wanted to know the user experience of Samsung Ace plus and/or Lumia 710. Let me know how was yours.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:28   #8789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Arre yaar phamilyman. You should now upgrade from the Defy. Bahut purana ho gaya hai. Think of the X factor and get a HTC...
I will go the opposite way and get a galaxy Y pro or a simple BB curve

Quote:
My dad has 2 requirements. It has to be either Samsung or Nokia. Another is it should be touch screen and easy to use. i did go through the last two pages. But i wanted to know the user experience of Samsung Ace plus and/or Lumia 710. Let me know how was yours.
Actually, harshal - consider the Omnia W VERY seriously. Its a nice phone, quite VFM but the killer bit is its battery life - much more awesome than the defy or even the iphone4 or the streak
Old 27th April 2012, 10:01   #8790
BANNED

Quote:
I will definitely avoid Nokia since the OS is junk. I have no great view about Windows on a phone as well. Nokia + Microsoft sounds like two dinosaurs dancing the tango!I will suggest you go for an Android, preferably with Gorilla Glass. I will also suggest that he takes a look at htc, they are a relatively less known brand, but the quality runs rings around the competition.

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th April 2012 at 10:02.

Most Viewed