Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 19:55   #18871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
No. Mine locks in about 4-5 seconds with AGPS and about 11-15 seconds with GPS only.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
GPS is not that good in Mediatek chipset used in E3, but Google maps should be able to work around that by using network.
True. I did a GPS fix using Mobileuncle MTK Tools today. Yet to check if it locks quickly. (link to the GPS fix tutorial)
Old 18th August 2014, 20:59   #18872
Senior - BHPian

Will waiting period for Xiaomi Mi3 reduce by end of this month? I am planning ti buy in Sept first week. Any alternative for this phone? budget range 10-25k. want a good value for money phone with priority of nice camera, build quality, screen and value for money factor.
Old 18th August 2014, 22:18   #18873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Will waiting period for Xiaomi Mi3 reduce by end of this month? I am planning ti buy in Sept first week. Any alternative for this phone? budget range 10-25k. want a good value for money phone with priority of nice camera, build quality, screen and value for money factor.

Hi bluevolt, can't comment anything on the waiting period, but one more flagship chinese phone is coming to India. Name is OnePlus One. OnePlus is the company name and One is the phone's name. All specs are better than the Mi3 and it trumps the Mi3 in all respects except the screen resolution (the ppi).. Even may be a bit costlier than the Mi3. But, it does not mean that it makes the Mi3 any lesser phone. The OnePlus One is better by some margin but not by that big a margin as if comparing Mi3 with the iPhone.

Check it out, see if you can wait for it. And that price range is quite wide, 10-25k. You've alot of options, by lot I really mean alooott!

Xiaomi may also launch their new flagship; the Mi4 after the launch of OnePlus One. I wish I could tell you the launch dates, but no one knows that, except the company officials!

-Bhargav
Old 19th August 2014, 13:52   #18874
BHPian

Re: SAR Value of Mi3?

What is the SAR value of Mi3? The information is NOT provided on the flipkart Mi3 specs sheet.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:10   #18875
BHPian

Was able to add Mi3 to cart successfully this time. Used Firefox for the current transaction.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 19th August 2014 at 14:14.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:49   #18876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The waiting period shall theoretically never reduce in a flash sale model. Xiaomi is taking pre-registrations and always releasing lesser batch size. Hence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hi bluevolt, can't comment anything on the waiting period, but one more flagship chinese phone is coming to India. Name is OnePlus One. OnePlus is the company name and One is the phone's name. All specs are better than the Mi3 and it trumps the Mi3 in all respects except the screen resolution (the ppi).. Even may be a bit costlier than the Mi3. But, it does not mean that it makes the Mi3 any lesser phone. The OnePlus One is better by some margin but not by that big a margin as if comparing Mi3 with the iPhone.

Check it out, see if you can wait for it. And that price range is quite wide, 10-25k. You've alot of options, by lot I really mean alooott!

Xiaomi may also launch their new flagship; the Mi4 after the launch of OnePlus One. I wish I could tell you the launch dates, but no one knows that, except the company officials!

-Bhargav
OnePlus wont be available in the open market soon (unless they decide to change their stance). Its an "invite only" model. The phone is priced at 25k.

MI4 is around 40k INR by the way.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:55   #18877
BHPian

Woohooo! Added the Mi3 to my cart successfully. This was the 1st time I registered for the sale and am quite happy to get it at the 1st shot itself.

So here goes my experience:

Yesterday I had planned to login on flipkart around 11 am, but today couldn't do it until 12 pm cuz I was out for some work, so logged in as soon as I was back.

I had also decided to login with two different accounts on two different machines(obv both were registered for the sale), one on my laptop and 1 desktop. Logged in with my account on desktop and dad's account on laptop. Used firefox on both. So if anyone is planning to partake in the next sale, use firefox instead of other browsers.

Once during the countdown, I also tried logging in through my dekstop with Chrome, but the difference was noticeable even after refreshing the page 4-5 times. The firefox timer was ticking faster. So I closed Chrome rather than wasting time. (It was just for experimentation, and the conclusion is that Firefox is faster.)

40 secs to go and I refreshed the page on both the machines. The desktop's timer is ticking just a split second faster than the laptop's. 20 seconds to go I refresh once again. 10 to go, I refresh both together and now the laptop's timer is ticking faster!

(Ok now pack the following sentences in a timeframe of 3-4 seconds) I start clicking frantically where the "buy" button was going to appear. As soon as I clicked, after some splitsecond wizbang, for some very very very weird reason my account showed "You have not registered. Please come back later for next sale". Reading this I felt quite dejected and right at that moment I glanced at the laptop screen to check it's status. And there I read the most awaited word "Congratulations!". Please wait while the phone is added to your cart.

So this is my Mi3 story :P. If you'll need any tips or have any questions on the "buying" part, I will be more than happy to answer.

-Bhargav
Old 19th August 2014, 17:26   #18878
Senior - BHPian

Well, I also managed to place an order today. Wasn't doing it for myself but wanted to check for a colleague in office. He was able to also place the order. I'm seeing other success stories () also here. So I'm guessing the hype has died down and lesser number of people have purchased the phone in this slot.

Firefox worked. Oh and have already sent out the order to another colleague who wanted it.
Old 19th August 2014, 19:58   #18879
Senior - BHPian

Any other alternatives to Mi3 in this range? I just can't deal with this 'register' 'sale' 'flipkart' drama!
Old 19th August 2014, 22:19   #18880
Senior - BHPian

How is HTC Desire 616 Dual Sim in comparison to Moto G? Worth extra few grands?
Old 19th August 2014, 22:30   #18881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well, I also managed to place an order today. Wasn't doing it for myself but wanted to check for a colleague in office. He was able to also place the order. I'm seeing other success stories () also here. So I'm guessing the hype has died down and lesser number of people have purchased the phone in this slot.

Firefox worked. Oh and have already sent out the order to another colleague who wanted it.
Well I was successful second time in a row...and I used Chrome only both times and one of my friends too same as me. I think its not about a particular browser...its about how fast your internet connection is.

First time last week I had logged in two hours before schedule and then kept refreshing. I noted that with my internet connection (I have the GTPL fibre optic connection) it took 1 second to totally refresh the page. Based on this I finally refreshed 5 seconds prior to time and immediately clicked on the "Buy Now" button as it appeared. Success.

Today I barely logged in 2 minutes prior to time...same procedure....success.

If you want to get Mi3, use a faster internet connection....I believe.
Old 20th August 2014, 07:52   #18882
Senior - BHPian

Presenting the White and Black Panda Nexus 4!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-w5ypsax.jpg
Old 20th August 2014, 08:08   #18883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any other alternatives to Mi3 in this range? I just can't deal with this 'register' 'sale' 'flipkart' drama!
Asus Zenfone 5 - 8/16 Gb
Asus Zenfone 6 - 16 GB

Except for Zenfone 6 which is in 17K, Zenfone 5 is in 13K range. Zenfone 6 is currently out of stock on Flipkart.
Old 20th August 2014, 09:35   #18884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Asus Zenfone 5 - 8/16 Gb
Asus Zenfone 6 - 16 GB

Except for Zenfone 6 which is in 17K, Zenfone 5 is in 13K range. Zenfone 6 is currently out of stock on Flipkart.
Also the Moto G, which has dropped in price too ?
Old 20th August 2014, 09:54   #18885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can extend until 25k's, the Nexus 5 is a great option considering stock android and the fact this will be the first one to get Android L when it is released. As far as raw speed is concerned, it may not beat the other when it comes to benchmarks, it certainly beats them when it comes to application loading times, general responsiveness and web browsing.
Just today compared the speed of opening up Subway Surfer on my phone with my friend's brand new Htc One M8 and mine was faster by a couple of seconds

Most Viewed