Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 20:18   #22231
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys is there any way to make an android phone read as an iPod in the car stereo? I don't like aux as there are some quality issues when playing music.
Old 4th November 2015, 20:18   #22232
BHPian

I don't think there's any direct way of doing so. But why do you want to connect it as an iPod? Will connecting it as a normal Bluetooth device not work?
Also, if you have quality issued with Aux, try changing your cable to one with gold plated pins. The gold plating is said to improve sound quality over normal cables. Most good quality headphones have these pins as standard.

Last edited by mukul32 : 4th November 2015 at 20:38.
Old 5th November 2015, 07:33   #22233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Guys is there any way to make an android phone read as an iPod in the car stereo? I don't like aux as there are some quality issues when playing music.
Curious - does the car stereo use "Airplay"? Doesn't it connect using plain ol Bluetooth?
Old 5th November 2015, 08:03   #22234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
I don't think there's any direct way of doing so. But why do you want to connect it as an iPod? Will connecting it as a normal Bluetooth device not work?
Also, if you have quality issued with Aux, try changing your cable to one with gold plated pins. The gold plating is said to improve sound quality over normal cables. Most good quality headphones have these pins as standard.
Because connecting as ipod gives liberty to control music from steering controls. That's the last solution to buy a new cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Curious - does the car stereo use "Airplay"? Doesn't it connect using plain ol Bluetooth?
No airplay. Ertiga doesn't have Bluetooth. Only aux and USB hence the question.
Old 5th November 2015, 08:16   #22235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Because connecting as ipod gives liberty to control music from steering controls. That's the last solution to buy a new cord.
Something similar : (Not for ipod/apple or android but more on how you want to connect)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post3837052

Even I subscribe to the USB connection view aspect more than Aux in mode. Because one it gives you facility to control the content via steering/HU. And second USB seems far more robust to me than Aux-In. I also dont like the blue tooth mode.

Today when you connect an Android phone via the USB, it always gets detected as a memory device. There is a need for a standard protocol which allows you the same facility like what you get connecting an Apple device gives. I dont know if Android Auto has something like this.

Last edited by ampere : 5th November 2015 at 08:33.
Old 5th November 2015, 15:24   #22236
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
That's a rather good way to quietly promote Windows Phone. I'm no Lumia hater, but tell me, if one were to suggest a budget phone, why a Lumia 730? The Moto G 2015 costs exactly the same, and gets a better processor, camera, water resistance, far better battery life and better feel in the hand too. Android Lollipop (and soon Marshmallow) is a far more beautiful and intuituve experience than the solid but barebones WP. And let's not get to apps. And the Moto is a much newer device too. Why not suggest that then?

And all Lumia fans may start hitting me back with the performance excuse, but honestly, that Windows phone doesn't lag at all is a myth. They sure don't stutter like budget Samsung's do, but loading heavy apps and websites and media takes its own time. Similarly, that Android lags, is also a myth. Only Samsung's lag. If someone doesn't know anything of Android except Samsung, he doesn't know anything of Android at all. No stock Android phone of a branded make having good quality hardware lags these days. But unfortunately, Windows Phone fans won't ever know what 'these days' means. They are still experiencing the past.

And that "Windows app situation is getting better" is like saying "Skoda's service is getting better". It may be getting 'better', but will take a long long time to become GOOD. And remember, there's no TBHP app for Windows Phone either.
In all, don't see a single reason to buy any Lumia at the moment at least.

And thirty grand for a Moto X style isn't too much for the top-of-the line experience that it offers. (The Nexus 6P does seem overpriced for what it offers above the midrange flagships though.) But in the end, instead of settling for compromises in a budget device that one might not have expected, it's better to get a high end device if one is ready to spend enough.
Well to each his own. Why I suggested him a Lumia was because it's going to be his first smartphone, and therefore in all probability he won't need a wide range of apps.

And it's a myth that only Samsungs lag. As long as you are running your phone on the stock Android version, it won't lag. But with upgrades, it will. This of course, is assuming that you don't carry all your music and movies on your phone and don't have tons of apps installed. IOS also lags due to this reason. Try using an iPhone 4S on IOS 8 and you will know where I am coming from.

My first gen Moto E is running Lollypop, and it does lag. So no, Motos are not immune to lagging.
Old 5th November 2015, 18:33   #22237
BHPian

Just ordered myself an Oneplus X today.

Lets see how it goes when it arrives.
Old 5th November 2015, 22:51   #22238
BHPian

My two cents on the Android vs Windows Phone lag fight. I own both, carry both in my pocket, so I am qualified to comment. Windows OS does not put a heavy load on the hardware like Android do. So the UI experience is much smoother in Windows compared to Android. In Android phones even with monster hardware there is a stutter here and there. Sure you can live with it, but the stutter is there.

But one big thing you may want to consider is the useful life you get out of your phone. I have a similar speced Galaxy and Lumia, except that G is quadcore while L is dualcore. The Lumia still performs well, even with Windows 10 installed, but the Galaxy flagship is now fit to be thrown away.

Now let me add iPhone to the equation, since WP hardly has any apps. You can buy a IPhone 6s today and even after 3-4 years, you will continue getting updates and you won't find it lagging. Your flagship Android with octa core processors, 4 gigs of RAM and QHD screens would be good enough for the dustbin in 2 years.

If you want to buy an android, buy a 10-15K Xiaomi, Moto, Lenovo, Yu etc and throw it away in a year or two. Never buy a flagship at launch price. I bought a S3 in 2012 for 35K and after 3 years its worth 4K.

Last edited by civic-sense : 5th November 2015 at 22:52.
Old 6th November 2015, 01:22   #22239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Windows OS does not put a heavy load on the hardware like Android do. So the UI experience is much smoother in Windows compared to Android.
Agreed, Windows is quite lightweight as an OS, but the main thing that Android consumes more is RAM. Sufficient amount of available RAM will make Android perform as well, but the apps in Android mainly consume a lot of the available RAM. But at the same time, one should not forget that Android on the whole gives you a lot more basic functionality, and a far deeper control of your device. Similarly, apps in Android may use up RAM, but they provide a lot more functionality and better integration within the OS than Windows apps. Several basic features or options in commonplace third party Android apps are found lacking in their Windows counterparts.

Also, it is unfair to consider a Samsung phone as 'Android' in a performance comparison. While they have represented Android in sales figures, Samsungs are among the worst in usability and overall UI performance among Androids. Stock Android phones only should be considered for the same. For the sake of it, just install official CyanogenMod or Resurrection Remix on a Samsung flagship and then pit it against its Lumia counterpart. The sheer improvement in terms of responsiveness and fluidity than before is usually stunning. And it offers (one of) the latest version of Android too.

Quote:
But one big thing you may want to consider is the useful life you get out of your phone. I have a similar speced Galaxy and Lumia, except that G is quadcore while L is dualcore. The Lumia still performs well, even with Windows 10 installed, but the Galaxy flagship is now fit to be thrown away.
There is a catch here, sir. The 'useful life' that you speak of is for the very average, non-tech-savvy user. If you try to get a little bit geeky, there are tons of custom ROM's kernels, etc available for Android, while Windows Phone, apart from Microsoft's official insider previews, is almost as locked down as iOS.

Now from your description, I come to assume that your phones are a Galaxy S3 and a Lumia 920. The S3 got stuck on 4.3 Jellybean, and never got KitKat, while the Lumia 920 got Windows 8.1 and now is getting Windows 10. However, one must also keep in mind that the S3 launched with 4.0 ICS, and got two major updates in 4.1 and 4.3. The 920 started on WP8, got WP8.1, and is now only getting its second major update in Windows 10, which only came three years after Windows Phone 8. Meanwhile, the progress in Android has been a lot faster.

And when it comes to the actual useful life, if we do decide to get a little geeky and install CyanogenMod 12.1 or Resurrection Remix 5.1 (it's a cakewalk for Samsung phones) the S3 can go straight to 5.1.1 Lollipop, and before year end even Marshmallow, while the Lumia stays pretty much the same as the last update it received till Microsoft plans any further updates. A year later, if development is still strong, the S3 might get Android N ROM's too, while the 920 in all probability won't get updated any further from Windows 10.

And to get an even better idea of how well Android actually boosts the useful life of phones, let's go one generation behind the S3 and the 920 to the S2 and 900 respectively. The S2 officially launched on 2.3 Gingerbread, and got updated to 4.0. ICS and 4.1 JB. But after that, courtesy custom ROM's, it got Android 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, 5.1, and was one of the first devices to boot on CM13 with Android 6.0. 6.0 is still under development though. And the performance of the device only kept getting constantly better wih official stable releases of each generation, and the latest software experience straight from Google could be enjoyed by the user. All of this is nothing short of stunning on a device that will be five years old this summer.
The Lumia 900 meanwhile was launched with WP7.5, did get WP7.8, but Microsoft never updated it to Windows 8, citing hardware reasons. Since Windows 8 apps didn't support backwards compatibility, the apps collection for WP7 stayed horrible. And we all know how bad Windows Phone 7 was. Hence, within a year, due to incompatibility and other issues, the phone was only fit to be a paperweight.
Thus, a decently maintained Galaxy S2 could serve its owner far far better than a well maintained Lumia 900.

Quote:
Now let me add iPhone to the equation, since WP hardly has any apps. You can buy a IPhone 6s today and even after 3-4 years, you will continue getting updates and you won't find it lagging. Your flagship Android with octa core processors, 4 gigs of RAM and QHD screens would be good enough for the dustbin in 2 years.
Sir, I would beg to differ. Older Apple devices are indeed found to lag and hang a lot with newer iOS versions. You may ask any iPhone 4S or iPod touch 5 user how iOS 9 performs on their device. It is worse than a lot of midrange Androids as well. The 'updates' too, are mainly just minor visual changes, and almost all the new functionality that a newer iOS version brings is omitted while updating older devices. iOS runs like cream only on the latest iDevices, especially the ones that launch with it.
And Android devices that become useless are usually OEM devices, due to their horrible bloated software and lack of timely updates. Buying a Nexus or another such stock Android device, or flashing an OEM device makes the situation dramatically better.

Quote:
If you want to buy an android, buy a 10-15K Xiaomi, Moto, Lenovo, Yu etc and throw it away in a year or two. Never buy a flagship at launch price. I bought a S3 in 2012 for 35K and after 3 years its worth 4K.
I agree to this, but that case is not exclusive to Android. It is rather a case of budget and midrange devices in general getting better and providing a much better and fuller experience than before, when anything budget only had 'compromise' written all over it. What a 2015 budget device can do, a 2012 budget device wouldn't have dreamt of doing.

But it's an even stronger case of your suggestion with Windows Phone. OEM Android devices at least have a lot of more software functionality and unique features reserved for their flagships. The updates situation is also far better for flagships than budget devices.
But in case of Windows Phones, apart from the differences in the screen resolution or camera sensors or the like, the end user experience and the software interface stays exactly the same for a budget or midrange phone as it is for a flagship phone. Midrange Lumias are also getting very good in terms of build quality, screen resolution and quality, and feel in the hand. So they don't feel cheap like budget phones before did. And Windows OS doesn't demand too much of resources anyway. So the basic UI performance also remains comparable despite deifference in processing. And budget devices get the exact same updates as flagship ones. Hence there is almost no point in splurging on a high end Windows device. A Lumia 7XX will give you almost 90% of the functionality and user experience of a Lumia 9XX launched in the same year, while costing around half of the latter. It will also get the same updates as they are from the same generation. Maybe things such as the camera and gaming performance won't be the same, but they would still be more than decent on the midrange device. And for all their limitations and unpopularity, Windows Phone flagships are ridiculuosly expensive for what they offer. They may even cost more than some Android flagships at launch. Hence, buying a Windows flagship actually makes even lesser sense in my opinion.

Last edited by mukul32 : 6th November 2015 at 01:27.
Old 6th November 2015, 04:14   #22240
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, I would beg to differ. Older Apple devices are indeed found to lag and hang a lot with newer iOS versions. You may ask any iPhone 4S or iPod touch 5 user how iOS 9 performs on their device. It is worse than a lot of midrange Androids as well. The 'updates' too, are mainly just minor visual changes, and almost all the new functionality that a newer iOS version brings is omitted while updating older devices. iOS runs like cream only on the latest iDevices, especially the ones that launch with it.
And Android devices that become useless are usually OEM devices, due to their horrible bloated software and lack of timely updates. Buying a Nexus or another such stock Android device, or flashing an OEM device makes the situation dramatically better.
Well said

Also, I may have shattered a record somewhere here for G4 users.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20151106035251.png

How did I manage it?

Call me crazy but all I did was take my phone case off for a day and slightly reduced the brightness. 4g was on throughout the time I had it with me in college. Came home, switched to WiFi, watched an entire movie and voila.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20151106035251.png  

Last edited by createrkid : 6th November 2015 at 04:15.
Old 6th November 2015, 18:21   #22241
Oxy
BHPian

@mukul32 - some pretty good points and I do agree with most of what you said.

However you seem to be forgetting that most users are not technically savvy and are afraid to install custom ROMs. I have managed to brick my XPERIA Mini Pro myself, after successfully unlocking the bootloader.
Old 7th November 2015, 07:12   #22242
BHPian

Here is very good read on SoC comparison:

http://www.androidauthority.com/snap...in-935-651633/

Last year's flagships are still worth to consider, especially since they are available at heavily discounted price now.
Old 7th November 2015, 09:44   #22243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Here is very good read on SoC comparison:

http://www.androidauthority.com/snap...in-935-651633/

Last year's flagships are still worth to consider, especially since they are available at heavily discounted price now.
Thanks for the share, it's a pretty interesting read indeed.

With Qualcomm going back to 4 cores in their 820, it'll be interesting to see how things turn out for flagships next year. I don't know why they left out the 808 in their comparison, it's such a brilliant chip.
Old 8th November 2015, 09:27   #22244
Senior - BHPian

[Qualcomm Certified] Aukey Quick Charge 2.0

Those of you who were looking for the Aukey Quick Charger - it is available on a steal for around Rs.650 on the AliExpress app for their sale on 11.11. Worth it I say.
Old 8th November 2015, 21:12   #22245
BHPian

Re: [Qualcomm Certified] Aukey Quick Charge 2.0

Quote:
Those of you who were looking for the Aukey Quick Charger - it is available on a steal for around Rs.650 on the AliExpress app for their sale on 11.11. Worth it I say.
Are there any consequences for using this charger for Apple devices such as the iPad or iPhone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks