Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 14:16   #23521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Since you're not averse to Mi phones, have you checked out Mi4? (not the Mi4i; the Mi4..)
It has a fantastic camera! decent battery life (1 day plus change hours), okay specs.
Package is pretty good If you grab some offer & the price is @ 12.5-13.5k price point (although it doesn't have "all best" specs at that price, it does a good job, IMO)

Ace.
Yes, I have considered Mi4. I would have bought it but no 4G and ony 16 GB memory without card slot makes it a strict NO NO.

G4 plus looks very good from the specs except that I am not okay with the size. It is too big for me. Also, it is bigger and thicker than other 5.5" phone like Le 1s etc.

Anyone knows launch date for Oneplus 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I am also looking at the exact same specifications. Seems we either have to compromise with the fingerprint sensor/RAM/battery life parameter.

My next hope is Asus Zenfone max 3 which comes out on 30th may.

Dad's Redmi Note 3 is working like a charm. I may also buy the same phone and save few bucks
Thanks. Any news on the screen size for Zenfone 3?
So far no experience with Asus. How is the user experience? Is it plain Android or lots of useless customization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
'Moto g4 play' would be with a 5" screen. Don't know launch date in India, few months away at least.
That will be a low end phone without many features and considered to be a replacement for Moto E.

Last edited by adimicra : 19th May 2016 at 14:26.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:10   #23522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But 16 MP is like 3MP to be honest. Crap detail when you zoom in, unlike the iPhone, or even the S3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Pics taken from redmi note 3.
Oh my God! This is terribly crap pictures here. With the old Redmi 1s, I do not need a scanner for scanning documents; even indoors, give the object a bit of light, the pictures are so sharp.

Anybody else with a suggestion on Redmi 1s vs Redmi Note 3? Especially, with respect to camera and screen.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:41   #23523
BHPian

@Thoma if you are particular about Mi brand, then no other option. Moto g4 plus has received great reviews on its camera. Check it out.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:45   #23524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Anyone knows launch date for Oneplus 3?
It is expected in June but not sure. One Plus 3 will also be 5.5". Have to wait and see if they launch a smaller version to replace the One Plus X, but even then i doubt if it will be under 15k. From existing phones, I think all 5-5.2" phones with fingerprint scanner are in the above 25k range.

I would also have preferred a 5 inch screen but I have accepted that i might have to go for 5.5" since all are going that way. It's not too bad either, since for some use cases, a bigger screen helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I am also planning to get the Moto G4 Plus. But, on various sites, there is mention of a third variant too, 64GB/4GB RAM, but this is not available in Amazon. I did check with the Amazon and Motorola customer care, but as expected, those guys haven't got a clue. Confused whether I should wait to get some more clarity about the 4GB RAM variant or just go with the 32GB/3GB RAM variant.
4GB version is only for international markets i think for the time being. But I don't feel there is any point in waiting for 4GB version. 2GB should suffice for most people and 3GB is more than enough. 4GB is overkill unless you will use it for very heavy tasks.

BTW, those who buy Moto G4 Plus till 22nd May will get a Kindle promo code for Rs1000/-. If you don't use Kindle Ebooks, then please share the promo codes

Last edited by JonSnow : 19th May 2016 at 15:49.
Old 19th May 2016, 16:04   #23525
BHPian

Guys need your feedback on a replacement phone for Moto X 2014.

Couple of days back I dropped my Moto X and someone found it but never bothered to return it. All this in 20 mins span of time. They switchedoff /removed the sim.

I really loved all the features on Moto X and was expecting it to last me another 2 years. Have not tracked any phones for quite sometime. Currently using iPhone 4 as temporary device and it is damn slow with majority of apps not working. Need your inputs with the following requirements
  1. 4G to work on any network in Hyderabad . (Moto X and One plus one both of them worked well here)
  2. Good Visibility in Sunlight
  3. Battery backup a day with moderate to heavy usage especially browsing
  4. Does not heat up - Do not play games much- Only puzzle games if played
  5. Gesture controls - loved them on Moto X
  6. Touch Interface should be of top quality
  7. Large RAM to make it future proof for a minimum of 3 years.

Range 1- 15k to 20k
Range 2- 20k to 30K

Any android with similar touch interface as iPhone. Are there good windows phones.

Of late I see loads of fullpage ads with a new brand every time. How good are those phones. Till now I have stuck with the brands only except for one plus one (Marshmallow did wonders for it. On Lollipop it was a pain to use)

Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 17:30   #23526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Oh my God! This is terribly crap pictures here. With the old Redmi 1s, I do not need a scanner for scanning documents; even indoors, give the object a bit of light, the pictures are so sharp.

Anybody else with a suggestion on Redmi 1s vs Redmi Note 3? Especially, with respect to camera and screen.
i think our friend sairamboko didn't do the camera any justice. This is a photo using the procapture app set to flowers.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20160519_172601_1463659020063.jpg

Decent enough for me man. Good enough for this price range.

i have scanned 40+ cards using this phone. no real issues on that except the weight of the phone.

Here is a very quick cam scan of an infra magazine (notice it was arched, hence the page appears a bit distorted):
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-f48t799835qesyflefv8du69.jpg

Nothing great, but not terribly bad either.

of course, wait a week and you'll get an accurate comparison with the G4 plus as well

Last edited by phamilyman : 19th May 2016 at 17:37.
Old 19th May 2016, 17:56   #23527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
  1. 4G to work on any network in Hyderabad . (Moto X and One plus one both of them worked well here)
  2. Good Visibility in Sunlight
  3. Battery backup a day with moderate to heavy usage especially browsing
  4. Does not heat up - Do not play games much- Only puzzle games if played
  5. Gesture controls - loved them on Moto X
  6. Touch Interface should be of top quality
  7. Large RAM to make it future proof for a minimum of 3 years.
I think if you like Stock Android and Gesture controls, stick with moto.

Moto X style & Moto G4 plus are great option. Moto provides updates soon.

OnePlus X is decent, OnePlus One is still good enough for many users out there. OnePlus 2 is brilliant. All will have CM support at some point.

Nexus 6x is slightly above 34k, 5x isn't worth it.

Quote:
Are there good windows phones.

Of late I see loads of fullpage ads with a new brand every time.
Windows phones is declining too much. MS may kill it in a few years.
Buy a cheap phone of a new brand, if you're willing to ditch it soon.
Old 19th May 2016, 18:39   #23528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moto X Style should tick all your boxes and it falls in your "range 2". Go for it!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th May 2016 at 19:14. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 18:58   #23529
BHPian

Quote:

(Marshmallow did wonders for it. On Lollipop it was a pain to use)

Thanks
Range 1: redmi note 3 3GB version, if camera quality is critical then Moto G4 / G4 plus

Given your usage, I think range 1 options should keep you covered for couple of years

Last edited by lordvader : 19th May 2016 at 19:12.
Old 19th May 2016, 20:42   #23530
BHPian

Some photos clicked using moto g4 plus in chikka tirupati. Battery is decent. I was heavily using the g4 today because of election results I think i will be able to extract some more juice out of it during my normal usage.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463670593760.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463670607503.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463670627646.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1463670638859.jpg  

Old 20th May 2016, 05:10   #23531
BHPian

Moto E: Touch screen is notdisplaying even though fully charged.No display even after alternately pressing vol and power button.Phone rings when called from another phone.Unablle to use the phone for calls,whatsapp
Old 20th May 2016, 12:45   #23532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Some photos clicked using moto g4 plus in chikka tirupati. Battery is decent. I was heavily using the g4 today because of election results I think i will be able to extract some more juice out of it during my normal usage.
Hi sairamboko

By heavy usage do you mean browsing constantly all day or any other usage also? Did you notice any heating issues during the period? I am okay if it heats up during heavy gaming, since i don't play games much. But in normal usage such as web browsing or watching videos for extended periods, does it heat up?
Old 20th May 2016, 12:56   #23533
BHPian

@JonSnow it doesnt heat while using it. Heating is there only while charging and if any update is being installed. By the way i got an update last night and May android patches got installed along with camera enhancement and bug fixes
Old 20th May 2016, 19:33   #23534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
... I heard that even the Moto X 2016 will have only 5.5" variants.

Just FYI, the Moto X 2016 will actually be called Moto Z - and there will be at least two variants - Play and Style.

Please wait till 09 June for some further details. It should cover you on all aspects (except 'maybe' on the screen size). Do note that more than screen size, the physical dimensions of the phone should be more relevant. So, compare phones with those specs and not on screen size.
Old 20th May 2016, 20:44   #23535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Moto E: Touch screen is notdisplaying even though fully charged.No display even after alternately pressing vol and power button.Phone rings when called from another phone.Unablle to use the phone for calls,whatsapp
It seems to be a serious problem. You had better take it to the authorised service centre.

Most Viewed