Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:42   #25591
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Moto E phone. More the 2 years old. Never gave any problems. Recently started getting a strange problem. The phone goes into emergency mode & I am unable to make any calls. I have remove the SIM & reinsert it & boot the phone for it to start working again.

The phone has 2 SIM slots. This happened a couple of times in slot 1. So I then moved the SIM to slot 2. It worked fine for a month. Yesterday it happened in slot 2.

Is this a problem with the phone or with the SIM? What can I do?
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:59   #25592
Distinguished - BHPian

So as usual its only me who feels that the S8 looks absolutely weird, those tiny bezels, ridiculously large and rounded off screen.. it looks way too out there and as an ex-Samsung fan who wanted a Galaxy S/S2 years ago when they released, but could not afford them, this S8 shows Samsung's dedication to weird designs like their curved t.v which hardly sold.

Of course I'm not denying that the company gave the people exactly what they wanted - large screen in a small footprint, lightweight and the name Samsung. Also in support of the phone, I feel this is good value pricing.. specially by a company which has so much expenses in R&D and has a worldwide presence, certainly much better than the local Chinese brands that seem to crop up dime a dozen.

Far better value than the uncontested emperor of overpricing/underspeccing - Apple. If you like the design I'd recommend you take the cheque with you ready.
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:22   #25593
Senior - BHPian

Could someone advise me as to which is the better choice between Redmi 4A and Redmi 3S (not Prime).

I am looking for a basic android phone within 7k. 4G is mandatory, so is a good battery backup. I have been a happy user of the original Redmi Note - the one that came with Mediatek processor - for more than 3 years now and hence am inclined to stay with the brand.
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:43   #25594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Could someone advise me as to which is the better choice between Redmi 4A and Redmi 3S (not Prime).

I am looking for a basic android phone within 7k. 4G is mandatory, so is a good battery backup. I have been a happy user of the original Redmi Note - the one that came with Mediatek processor - for more than 3 years now and hence am inclined to stay with the brand.

In terms of specs, the 3S is slightly better, since it has a marginally better processor, and also much superior battey life. But, the 4A being a newer device may get longer software update support.
The rest is identical: their footprint ( 4a is lighter by about 10g), ram, cameras etc.
Decide your priority and take the plunge accordingly
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:34   #25595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

If you compare the two, the vote defenitely goes to the 3S. Better processor and the battery life is phenomenal. Software updates with MI is usually not a problem as they do not discriminate although delay updates for certain devices.

The only problem is 3S can be relatively difficult to buy while the 4A can be pre-ordered from mi.com/in
Old 23rd April 2017, 18:51   #25596
BHPian

Guys, have a question. I will be moving to US later in the year. I have OP3T that i bought in January from Amazon here in India. I am wondering if i can use it on the T-Mobile carrier in the US once i move there. I mean would 4G LTE work?
Old 23rd April 2017, 21:10   #25597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Guys, have a question. I will be moving to US later in the year. I have OP3T that i bought in January from Amazon here in India. I am wondering if i can use it on the T-Mobile carrier in the US once i move there. I mean would 4G LTE work?

Very unlikely : the lte bands used by tmobile are not in the spec list for the Asian version of the OP3T. Op3t uses FDD bands 1,3,5,7,8 and 20 while tmobile uses bands 2,4 and 12.
Old 23rd April 2017, 21:30   #25598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Yes, it should, My OP3T did work with a uniconnect sim, whose backend is T-Mo. But, T-Mo is not exactly known for its coverage. But, there are some difference in LTE band in indian and US models. Look at GSM arena, it gives you a detailed list of supported LTE bands. Then look up the LTE bands of your preferred service provider.

If you are in US for long term, it would be better to go in for a captive plan with a locked phone, much better VFM.
Old 24th April 2017, 01:01   #25599
Senior - BHPian

Guess I am the only one in this forum who bought a Pixel. Yes you heard it right.
I exchanged my mi 5 which was 10 months old and paid 31k after all the discounts. Still very expensive.

So far impressions have been absolutely great. The build quality is superb and the phone feels sturdy yet light. The camera is the fastest I have even seen and churns our some great pics for a smartphone. The package is also pretty lavish - fast charger, decent in ear headphones, normal usb to usb c cable,usb c to usb otg adapter. The fingerprint scanner is blazing fast and the best ever I have ever used and I like the gestures n the fingerprint scanner. The unlimited photo and video storage is a nice bonus. The only issue is the top and bottom bezels are huge and makes it bigger than phones of the same size. Also it looks pretty ordinary for a phone of this price category. The phone seems to be getting hot only when camera is on.

Ordered a Spigen clear case for my silver Pixel. Hope it's worth the price.

Also had a look at the Galaxy S8. It is an engineering marvel and looks stunning but I could not come to terms with the weird aspect ratio and curved edges.. seemed awkward to me. Also the placement of the fingerprint scanner is terrible to say the least

Last edited by adimicra : 24th April 2017 at 01:05.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:43   #25600
BHPian

I have been toying with the idea of buying an iPhone 7 or a Pixel or a 3T and a Digital SLR. Major differences between these 3 phones are OS, fluidity of usage, and the camera. I am okay with the first 2 as I am used to both vanilla android and iOS and though 3T may lag behind a bit in terms of plain OS, I can overcome this by flashing custom ROMs. However, is it a good idea to buy 3T and a Digital SLR in place other 2 options?
Old 24th April 2017, 10:49   #25601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I have been toying with the idea of buying an iPhone 7 or a Pixel or a 3T and a Digital SLR. Major differences between these 3 phones are OS, fluidity of usage, and the camera. I am okay with the first 2 as I am used to both vanilla android and iOS and though 3T may lag behind a bit in terms of plain OS, I can overcome this by flashing custom ROMs. However, is it a good idea to buy 3T and a Digital SLR in place other 2 options?
The purists who swear by the quality of a DSLR will differ from my opinion but my view is this -

How often will you use the DSLR in a year considering that you have to lug it around? And how much more convenient would it be to have the convenience of a good camera in a phone? In good light, phone cameras of high end phones are almost 90% the quality of a DSLR (except when you zoom in to a unreasonable level which no one does) and in poor light it is still around 75%-80% of a DSLR.

Considering how often you will be using a phone for photos (considering its always with you), it makes a lot more sense to buy a flagship phone than buying a mid range phone + DSLR.

So among the options mentioned by you, my vote goes for the Pixel (though I'm not sure why you have not considered the S8 which has a better camera than the Pixel as well as per Youtube comparisons)

Last edited by praveen789 : 24th April 2017 at 10:52.
Old 24th April 2017, 12:17   #25602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Ithe 3S is slightly better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
the vote defenitely goes to the 3S...
Thank you.

I had almost purchased a 3S a while ago. The absence of a proper back/flip cover prevented me from going ahead with the payment. All available covers were made for 3S Prime with a slot for finger print sensor at the back. Didn't want that to remind me of what I would be missing in a 3S .

I will begin my quest for Redmification once again. Since there isn't much difference between 4A and 3S, am thinking of grabbing any one of the two based on availability, though 3S will be the first choice.
Old 24th April 2017, 14:13   #25603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
The purists who swear by the quality of a DSLR will differ from my opinion but my view is this -

How often will you use the DSLR in a year considering that you have to lug it around? And how much more convenient would it be to have the convenience of a good camera in a phone? In good light, phone cameras of high end phones are almost 90% the quality of a DSLR (except when you zoom in to a unreasonable level which no one does) and in poor light it is still around 75%-80% of a DSLR.

Considering how often you will be using a phone for photos (considering its always with you), it makes a lot more sense to buy a flagship phone than buying a mid range phone + DSLR.

So among the options mentioned by you, my vote goes for the Pixel (though I'm not sure why you have not considered the S8 which has a better camera than the Pixel as well as per Youtube comparisons)
The reason why I left out S8 from the scheme is its complicated OS skin with all duplicated and unwanted apps. Though I can replace the OS with a custom ROM, and revert to stock with ODIN when needed, I don't want to undertake this pain and hence, excluded it from the shortlist. My main use of phone is as a phone and use the camera (be it phone camera or the DSLR) only on occasions like biannual vacations, family functions, etc. Hence the trade off is between the quality of photos including in print form and the pain of carrying a camera and lenses.
Old 24th April 2017, 15:53   #25604
BHPian

Guys,

Need help. I recently picked up a HTC Desire 10 Pro to replace my aging HTC One E8. Was suitably impressed with the specs on the 10 Pro at that price point. The only limiting factor I found was that the second SIM slot is a hybrid slot, meaning that I can either use a second SIM or a SD card. Since the phone came with 64 GB memory didn't feel the need for a SD card for my use.

On day 2 of the usage I discover a major, major flaw in the phone. It does not connect to my car ICE for bluetooth telephony. It connects to play the media through the phone but you cannot use the car's ICE for phone calls. Never had this issue in my earlier phone or any other phone for that matter.

Calls to HTC "help"line elicits the same response again and again. "The feature HTC Car is not available on the 10 Pro".

When I ask what is the solution to this problem is, I get the same response as above.

My request, do not buy this phone if you are hooked on to using the car's bluetooth for phone calls.

Now that being said, do any of you have a solution for this problem I am facing? Is there any app that can give me back this functionality? Please help...
Old 24th April 2017, 16:07   #25605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Guys,

Need help. I recently picked up a HTC Desire 10 Pro to replace my aging HTC One E8. Was suitably impressed with the specs on the 10 Pro at that price point. The only limiting factor I found was that the second SIM slot is a hybrid slot, meaning that I can either use a second SIM or a SD card. Since the phone came with 64 GB memory didn't feel the need for a SD card for my use.

On day 2 of the usage I discover a major, major flaw in the phone. It does not connect to my car ICE for bluetooth telephony. It connects to play the media through the phone but you cannot use the car's ICE for phone calls. Never had this issue in my earlier phone or any other phone for that matter.

Calls to HTC "help"line elicits the same response again and again. "The feature HTC Car is not available on the 10 Pro".

When I ask what is the solution to this problem is, I get the same response as above.

My request, do not buy this phone if you are hooked on to using the car's bluetooth for phone calls.

Now that being said, do any of you have a solution for this problem I am facing? Is there any app that can give me back this functionality? Please help...
I find this strange...
If you can connect to hear music then you should be able to use the telephony connection.
Please check the settings within the bluetooth on the phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks