Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:08   #28366
Senior - BHPian

Bug Report - Samsung Galaxy Note 9 or is it for Airtel VoLTE?

Just upgraded to the new Note 9 in the new Alpine White (ivory) color (Total damage is 32k in exchange for my Black Note 8 @25k). I feel it's the best vfm flagship at the moment although the Blue color is the flashier one.

Now on my Airtel sim with VoLTE on, I faced the issue of outgoing sms showing as failed even though the receiver gets those messages. Samsung customer care says it's a Airtel issue if other service provider's sim works perfectly. Airtel local office acknowledges the issue though unofficially. This causes a issue with bank authentication messages. With VoLTE off, everything is flawless. Same issue has been reported with Airtel on many OnePlus devices also. Seems Airtel VoLTE is not 100% streamlined yet. VoLTE works with zero issues on my Jio sim though.

Even though Jio LTE speeds have seen a drastic reduction here in Meerut. I am getting around 3-4 Mbps (with VoLTE on) on Jio compared to 16-18 Mbps on Airtel. Even with VoLTE off, Airtel is giving nearly twice the speeds at 7-8 Mbps continuously, so sticking to Airtel (with VoLTE off) for the time being till Samsung or Airtel patches this up with a software update.

Overall a fantastic purchase. Cheers...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th February 2019 at 13:55. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:50   #28367
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am facing another issue with Gmail. I just don't get any notification for the emails I receive. I have checked every notification settings but do not seem to find the issue.

This has been happening from pre-update days and I hoped the update would fix it but it didn't.

Is anyone else facing this?
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:13   #28368
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
It is not uncommon that the security applications that corporates want installed on mobile could well breach into ones privacy. T
If corporates want to have their employees on a leash, it's best to have them provide a device and not have them infringe into personal devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I just took a look at this Airwatch. At least going by the permissions it needs, it seems to be something I wouldn't let anywhere near my phone
I don't know why they don't take advantage of the work profile feature in android (available in android 7 and above). The entire work email and documents are self contained plus the profile can be switched on and off as per requirement. That also tends to create clones of apps, the ones that you choose to do for and helps separate them by work and personal use.
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:17   #28369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I am facing another issue with Gmail. I just don't get any notification for the emails I receive. I have checked every notification settings but do not seem to find the issue.
Gmail has notification settings in two places - one, application-wide settings, and two, per-account settings. Have you checked both?

For the first: Settings > General settings > Manage notifications

For the second: Settings > you@gmail.com > Notifications

The second location has extensive control over what emails are allowed to disturb you if you have Priority Inbox enabled.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:25   #28370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I don't know why they don't take advantage of the work profile feature in android (available in android 7 and above). The entire work email and documents are self contained plus the profile can be switched on and off as per requirement. That also tends to create clones of apps, the ones that you choose to do for and helps separate them by work and personal use.
Earlier we were using Airwatch, now switched to the work profile. It's much cleaner and safer option and can be switched off when using a toggle when you don't want to bother about work.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:52   #28371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
....For the second: Settings > you@gmail.com > Notifications

It was the second one. I had 'notification for all messages' checked off.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th January 2019 at 15:47. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 6th January 2019, 07:10   #28372

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Bug Report - Samsung Galaxy Note 9 or is it for Airtel VoLTE?

Just upgraded to the new Note 9 in the new Alpine White (ivory) color (Total damage is 32k in exchange for my Black Note 8 @25k). I feel it's the best vfm flagship at the moment although the Blue color is the flashier one.
Airtel's VoLTE is still very finicky right now. I've had so many issues with on a slate of devices, including the Note 9, Mate 20 Pro, and the Pixel 3. For now, I'd recommend switching it off entirely while they work the kinks out.
Old 10th January 2019, 20:56   #28373
Senior - BHPian

Finally, I resisted the temptation of a new flagship phone and decided to wait for the Galaxy S10 as it is just 1.5 months away.
The Galaxy S10 looks exciting to say the least and should offer significant upgrade over the S9. I might go for the S10 or S10 lite model depending on price and features. I hope Samsung does not price these models atrociously high.
I looked at the S9's and Note9 as well as the Pixel. Note 9/S9 plus is too big for me. Pixel 3 is priced extremely high with poor battery life and not value for money. S9 model has an average battery and the portrait model is not reliable.
Old 13th January 2019, 18:59   #28374
Senior - BHPian

Android Pie Update for Honor View 10: I wanted to call out that I received the Android Pie update for my Honor View 10 yesterday. It was a 4 GB OTA update and the phone is running well after the update.

Is anyone aware of a working Google Camera port for Kirin 970 based devices?
Old 13th January 2019, 21:27   #28375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Finally, I resisted the temptation of a new flagship phone and decided to wait for the Galaxy S10 as it is just 1.5 months away.
The Galaxy S10 looks exciting to say the least and should offer significant upgrade over the S9. I might go for the S10 or S10 lite model depending on price and features. I hope Samsung does not price these models atrociously high.
I looked at the S9's and Note9 as well as the Pixel. Note 9/S9 plus is too big for me. Pixel 3 is priced extremely high with poor battery life and not value for money. S9 model has an average battery and the portrait model is not reliable.
I'm somewhat in the same boat waiting for the S10 for the Note 9 to drop in price. The stylus will be very useful to me as we have mobile enabled smart projection in all our conference rooms. Expecting a sub-50k price standalone by March. Too high an expectation?
Old 15th January 2019, 22:21   #28376
Distinguished - BHPian

Galaxy S9 gets upgraded to Android Pie in India

Screenshot from my mobile:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20190115221321_software-update.jpg
Old 16th January 2019, 10:03   #28377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Galaxy S9 gets upgraded to Android Pie in India

Screenshot from my mobile:
@Leoshashi: How is One UI performance in comparison to Touchwiz? The biggest drawback of getting a samsung was that pathetic laggy Touchwiz interface. Has it changed for any better?
Old 16th January 2019, 11:09   #28378
Senior - BHPian

Android pie will disable call recording feature using any app without root. Please keep this in mind if this feature is useful to you.
Old 16th January 2019, 11:18   #28379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
@Leoshashi: How is One UI performance in comparison to Touchwiz? The biggest drawback of getting a samsung was that pathetic laggy Touchwiz interface. Has it changed for any better?
I am using one UI beta for past 1month or so on my Note 9. Its very better and refined. There are no lags or slowdown whatsoever! Even in the Oreo base touchwiz, i didnt see any slow downs. The icing on the cake is the system wide dark mode !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Android pie will disable call recording feature using any app without root. Please keep this in mind if this feature is useful to you.
Calls are recording fine for me in Pie in my Note 9. Infact samsung provides inbuilt call recording functionality and hence no issues faced so far.
Old 16th January 2019, 11:29   #28380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Calls are recording fine for me in Pie in my Note 9. Infact samsung provides inbuilt call recording functionality and hence no issues faced so far.

Oh! In my Pixel 2 XL, call recording apps no longer work because I read android pie disables the features. Thanks for the correction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks