Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 11:33   #28381
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Dear All,

Calls are recording fine in my OnePlus 5T too even after Pie update.
Old 16th January 2019, 13:38   #28382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
@Leoshashi: How is One UI performance in comparison to Touchwiz? The biggest drawback of getting a samsung was that pathetic laggy Touchwiz interface. Has it changed for any better?
I updated my Galaxy S9 to Android Pie yesterday. Samsung has also bundled in their new UI, the so called One UI (version 1.0) alongwith the Pie update. UI definitely is more coherent now. Though it is still laggy! Now, I have not experienced the touchwiz interface (earlier the S9 was on the so called Samsung Experience interface) so cannot comment on how things were earlier, but I can still see lags. I don't use most of Samsung's inbuilt apps and have modified the looks and all to be more pixilish. I mostly use Google apps for browser, Gallery, weather etc and there are noticeable lags launching those apps, especially for launching Google app and while launching apps from notifications window (when you tap on any notifications)! Although personally it does not bother me much. I have felt lags in all the phones I have used so it's not something specific to Samsungs. The overall experience is still quite amazing despite the lags.

As for the new UI itself, it is definitely more acceptable. Bixby screen loads instantaneously if you swipe left now though it's still useless. I think keyboard is more accurate especially while swiping. Have not used camera so can't comment on any improvements there. Will have to use more to comment better with regards to battery life or the stability of the system.
Old 16th January 2019, 15:42   #28383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
@Leoshashi: How is One UI performance in comparison to Touchwiz? The biggest drawback of getting a samsung was that pathetic laggy Touchwiz interface. Has it changed for any better?
Much better than the earlier TouchWiz. Even though, the S9 has been the most lag free Samsung I have ever owned(have owned all odd generations of the S series, S3, S5, S7 and now S9), the update feels nicer. Don't forget to wipe the cache after the update. It would be even better if a clean wipe is done.

What I am loving the most, is the improved battery life. Its almost 4PM now, and the battery level is still at 78% with my normal usage. Earlier it would have been around the 40ish mark.

Regarding the 3rd party call recorder, its working fine.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 21st January 2019, 18:27   #28384
Senior - BHPian

Poco F1 is on sale again on Flipkart. Based on my recommendation my relative just ordered it today using SBI Credit Card and the final price for the 128 GB / 6 GB variant came to Rs.20,250/-

I had purchased the same variant for Rs.21,500/- for my wife in the earlier Diwali sale and this seems like an even killer deal at the current price being offered...

The Poco F1 has already received the Android Pie (9.0) update and Xiaomi has also added 960p slow-mo and a Low Light mode as well.
Old 21st January 2019, 19:04   #28385
Team-BHP Support

My Honor 10 got the Android P update around a week back. Nothing which I dislike or like, but there is a definite battery improvement and that too by 20% at least.

Really like the Poco F1, for the price and slightly above it, there is nothing in that orbit.
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:35   #28386
BHPian

Anyone with personal experiences with pixel 3 ? Looking to change my OP 3T. 6T is always an option, but after four years on OnePlus thinking of trying out something else. Never owned a nexus or pixel so far. Not a big fan of Samsung, not that I hate them. I did have the Note 1 and I liked it. I am a relatively heavy user and worried about the battery life more than anything. Also OnePlus has spoiled me with the dash charge.
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:59   #28387
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Anyone with personal experiences with pixel 3 ? Looking to change my OP 3T. 6T is always an option, but after four years on OnePlus thinking of trying out something else. Never owned a nexus or pixel so far. Not a big fan of Samsung, not that I hate them. I did have the Note 1 and I liked it. I am a relatively heavy user and worried about the battery life more than anything. Also OnePlus has spoiled me with the dash charge.
I don't see anything special in the Pixel 3 compared to the Pixel 2 (I don't own one).

Why don't you try the Honor View 20?
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:04   #28388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I don't see anything special in the Pixel 3 compared to the Pixel 2 (I don't own one).

Why don't you try the Honor View 20?
Thanks for the suggestion. Pixel 3 phones have the next gen snapdragon and some minor enchancements in screen and camera compared to Pixel 2.

I would be using the phone for my work apps as well and we have an org policy that restricts us to Iphones, Pixels, Galaxy S series and A series and restricted set of phones from Oneplus and Xiaomi. Same reason why I didnt want to try the Mate P20 Pro. Also there is a 150 $ off on Pixel phones in the US which made me interested in it the first place. Else it wasn't in my consideration at all.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:16   #28389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Pixel 3 phones have the next gen snapdragon and some minor enchancements in screen and camera compared to Pixel 2.
Consider the Pixel 2 or 2XL (My GF is using the 2XL and a close friend uses the 2). Performance is smooth on the 2, the camera is almost as good as the 3 (apart from some features exclusive to 3) and yes the screen is better on the 3 cause it's OLED as compared to AMOLED on the 2. And yes, the screen is bigger.
You didn't mention battery, but there isn't much difference there as well - just an additional 200 mAh.

And now comes the real deal breaker for the 3 and that's the price. Personally, I'd save that money and upgrade next year (if the need arises) and still get a good return on the 2.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 22nd January 2019, 16:30   #28390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
You didn't mention battery, but there isn't much difference there as well - just an additional 200 mAh.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. Yes, the battery capacity and the charging time are the only things holding me back at the moment. Hope I can get some real life numbers on that.
Old 29th January 2019, 18:05   #28391
BHPian

Guys, heard there could be huge differences in cable quality when it comes to USB type-c. Any idea which cable is good for quick charging? I want to keep a cable charger combo in car. I already have charger that is rated for 2.1 amp.
Old 29th January 2019, 20:23   #28392

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, heard there could be huge differences in cable quality ....
That is the case with any type of cable. You can find many options on Amazon. Just pick one with good reviews.

Here is one - https://www.amazon.in/A400-Type-C-Cable-Meter-Black/dp/B077Z65HSD/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1548773294&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+type+c+fast+charging+cable
Old 29th January 2019, 20:31   #28393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, heard there could be huge differences in cable quality when it comes to USB type-c. ... ... ...
There can be, and is, a huge difference in quality in micro-USB cables, many of which do not have the current-carrying capacity to work with modern fast-charging systems.

I winder if this still happens, but when USB C was new, I heard of cables that were not only not capable, but could even do damage to connected equipment.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:40   #28394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, heard there could be huge differences in cable quality when it comes to USB type-c. Any idea which cable is good for quick charging? I want to keep a cable charger combo in car. I already have charger that is rated for 2.1 amp.
If your phone/charger supports QC3.0 then you would need to get cables which specifically mention it otherwise it would be wasted.

And LG has quietly launched the v40 in Amazon at 49k. Last time i checked even their official website was not updated and still shows G7 and V30.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:54   #28395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
The HTC U11 is available for 45K in Amazon. A dip of 6K from the initial price. I was eyeing it for some time and decided to go for it yesterday. The Pixel XL was also available for similar price but the 6 GB RAM and the latest SoC along with the great earphones made the deal a no-brainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey how's the U11 treating you? Share a pic!
Here's mine.
OnePlus type-C bullets and wired Pixelbuds do not work with HTC U11!!

Type-C headphones are an abomination - a reversion from an open to a closed protocol.
HTC shut shop so I was unable to purchase the excellent uSonic headphones again. Hence, I tried both OnePlus type-C bullets and wired Pixelbuds.
Unfortunately, none was so much as detected. None of the workarounds for OnePlus headphones posted on the internet (all are actually for 1+ phones) worked.

Meanwhile, the USBC to 3.5mm dongle also gave up the ghost.

U11 owners - Are there any third party dongles or headphones that come recommended for U11?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Quote:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01C2O1TOC/ - they work just as fine. given that USB-C cables can give up the ghost (I had one which recently stopped being detected)

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th January 2019 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks