Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2018, 17:21   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

I know you said no Maruti but you should get them to check out the Ignis.

I would advise against the TSI purely from a service hassle angle.

I have the jazz - it is quite perfect for my needs but premium it is not. Smoothness, space & reliability are the selling points for the JAZZ
Old 16th August 2018, 18:24   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I know you said no Maruti but you should get them to check out the Ignis.

I would advise against the TSI purely from a service hassle angle.

I have the jazz - it is quite perfect for my needs but premium it is not. Smoothness, space & reliability are the selling points for the JAZZ
Will the Jazz not be a bit 'premium' over the i10 Grand? Will the Ignis be better than both? I have driven an Ignis automatic and didn't really like it. But then that is me; I don't like anything other than the Germans.

With the TSI, I assume that the service hassle is probably the dreaded DQ200 gearbox? Honestly, I think it is all about your luck really. Other than that we have no issues with the service from VW or Skoda. We have a 2015 Skoda Rapid TDI AT too with the DQ200 gearbox and so far it has not given us any issues. However, I know of a TBHPian whose GT TSI had a mechatronic failure with in a year of ownership. Got it done under warranty and sold the car after a year. The same car had a mechatronic failure again in the hands of the new owner.
Old 16th August 2018, 19:08   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Will the Jazz not be a bit 'premium' over the i10 Grand? Will the Ignis be better than both? I have driven an Ignis automatic and didn't really like it. But then that is me; I don't like anything other than the Germans.

With the TSI, I assume that the service hassle is probably the dreaded DQ200 gearbox? Honestly, I think it is all about your luck really. Other than that we have no issues with the service from VW or Skoda. We have a 2015 Skoda Rapid TDI AT too with the DQ200 gearbox and so far it has not given us any issues. However, I know of a TBHPian whose GT TSI had a mechatronic failure with in a year of ownership. Got it done under warranty and sold the car after a year. The same car had a mechatronic failure again in the hands of the new owner.
Jazz has very few creature comforts. A top end i10 Grand is much better appointed.

The Ignis has AMT - i did not like it as well. But a lot of people like and it is ergonomically very comfortable. Tallish.

The TSI service hassle I meant is about the attitude of the ASC. Very unfriendly. The DSC is a reliability issue. If it fails within warranty, then good. Else you are out of 2 lakhs!

I think you should ask them to test drive a top end i10 Grand. might just tick all their boxes.
Old 16th August 2018, 19:32   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Hatchback only.( Its a sub 4m hatchback on stilts actually )
- Petrol only.
- Premium brand; no Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, etc.( Not a premium brand for sure )

- Must be an automatic. ( Will AMT do ? )
- Seating should be a bit on the higher side for ease getting in and out of the car. ( Ingress and egrees is very easy, only downside being heavy doors )

- Budget is 10 lakhs.

What do you guys recommend?
TATA NEXON AMT.
Recommending this even though TATA is not a premium brand , but this car is well built and fits all your requirements.

Last edited by silverado : 16th August 2018 at 19:33.
Old 16th August 2018, 19:41   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ladies however are not keen on driving the same i10 in an automatic avatar.
The Gi10 is much better in looks and specs than old i10.

Quote:
I then thought about the Honda Jazz. It is a hatch, comes in automatic and more spacious in the interiors.

Our requirements are:
- Hatchback only.
- Petrol only.
- Premium brand; no Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, etc.
- Must be an automatic.
- Seating should be a bit on the higher side for ease getting in and out of the car.
- Budget is 10 lakhs.

What do you guys recommend?
I am on the same boat and have almost finalized the new Jazz as my next car.

Quote:
Jazz has very few creature comforts. A top end i10 Grand is much better appointed.

I think you should ask them to test drive a top end i10 Grand. might just tick all their boxes.
The loaded Asta variant of Gi10 does not come with an automatic gearbox. AT box is limited to lower trims like Magna & Sportz.

Keeping up with the recent trend - the new Jazz gets quite a few bells and whistles like touchscreen digipad 2, rear parking sensors + camera, feather touch auto AC, keyless entry, push button start etc., but loses features like rear adjustable headrests & magic seats.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:41   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The Gi10 is much better in looks and specs than old i10.
Quote:
The loaded Asta variant of Gi10 does not come with an automatic gearbox. AT box is limited to lower trims like Magna & Sportz.
Ok. So we already have a Feb 2014 Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz Automatic. I did not mention this earlier as it was initially being used by my wife and now used as the company car. It is fitted with a CNG kit too. When we bought it in 2014, I had taken it for a drive to Lonavala and Igatpuri; it did not have the CNG kit then, and I just did not like the car at all. The gearbox is a shame, it felt under powered and handled ridiculously. It used to struggle to climb steep slopes. Fitting the CNG kit made it worse. I don't believe this car is meant for outstation trips. Our current manual i10s feel better for sure.

Also, other than auto folding mirrors, key less entry and a start/stop button, I did not find anything else worthy of a mention.

So, is the 2018 i10 Grand better equipped than this?

Quote:
So will have them try out our company Grand i10 for sure. Also getting the GT TSI and the Honda Jazz tomorrow for a test drive. Let's see what the ladies prefer.

Quote:
The Ignis has AMT - i did not like it as well. But a lot of people like and it is ergonomically very comfortable. Tallish.
Will have them try this out too.

Quote:
The TSI service hassle I meant is about the attitude of the ASC. Very unfriendly. The DSC is a reliability issue. If it fails within warranty, then good. Else you are out of 2 lakhs!
Honestly, I have had a fantastic experience with VW so far. I believe that one needs to create a good rapport with the service centre and then you will be treated like a king. This can happen only when the car is given to the service centre only for mechanical work and service. What we tend to do is give the car to the local garage for work and then obviously there is a better rapport with the local garage than with the authorised service centre.

Obviously, as long as the car is under warranty, we give the car to the service centre for even the smallest thing. But once the car is out of warranty, we will go to the local garage. I do this too but for bigger jobs. For service and any other small jobs, I ensure it is done at the authorised service centre only.

VAG has this thing called 'goodwill warranty' which is applicable if the car is always serviced at the authorised service centre. When I had got a suspension overhaul for my 2011 Polo 1.6, they changed the steering rack under 'goodwill warranty' even though my car's warranty was over a year ago. This save me a good 15k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
TATA NEXON AMT.
Recommending this even though TATA is not a premium brand , but this car is well built and fits all your requirements.
This is something I doubt I will have the guts to mention to my family

Quote:
I am on the same boat and have almost finalized the new Jazz as my next car.
Quote:
Keeping up with the recent trend - the new Jazz gets quite a few bells and whistles like touchscreen digipad 2, rear parking sensors + camera, feather touch auto AC, keyless entry, push button start etc., but loses features like rear adjustable headrests & magic seats.
This was exactly my thought too. There is a review of the 2018 Jazz in today's Times of India in the the auto section and it does not seem bad. But yes, I was disappointed to see them remove features like the adjustable headrests and magic seats. I think the magic seats were definitely a USP.
Old 17th August 2018, 12:43   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyakart View Post
Is there a reason to skip Ameo,

The car might be a sales dud, That could be because of not so friendly ASS but, be it features, ride, handling or engine specs, It comfortably beats the rest of the three compact sedans,

I am little confused on why is it not being a hit with those specs and features
When i was in the lookout for an automatic car, I did check Ameo out. It was rejected outright, because of the lack of space at the rear.

Agree that it has an excellent power to weight ratio, however the rear has absolutely no space.
Old 19th August 2018, 19:25   #578
BHPian

Hi,

I need some guidance on purchase of a used automatic hatchback. I am looking for 3-5 year old used automatic with a budget of 6-7L.

I am looking for Safety and Comfort as the main criterias. Not looking at cars from Hyundai and Maruti stable right now.

Few cars that I feel make this shortlist are :

1. Polo GT TSI - I am worried about Gearbox failure though

2. Honda Jazz CVT

3. Nissan Micra CVT

This car would see daily run of 30Km in peak bangalore traffic on a daily basis. I would request fellow forum members to provide more suggestions/feedback
Old 19th August 2018, 20:00   #579
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Hi,

I need some guidance on purchase of a used automatic hatchback. I am looking for 3-5 year old used automatic with a budget of 6-7L.

This car would see daily run of 30Km in peak bangalore traffic on a daily basis. I would request fellow forum members to provide more suggestions/feedback
With such a budget, why don't you go for a new car? I will suggest you to have a look at the Ford Figo Automatic. High discounts are running on it and I am sure you will not regret buying that car. I will suggest you to go for a new car. Sometimes old cars can give you surprises and may involve high maintenance requirements.
_nitink_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 20:46   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
With such a budget, why don't you go for a new car?
Hi Vivek - suggest that you stay clear of any used VW GT TSI (you never know when that dreaded mechatronic failure hits you in peak traffic) and nissan micra (very low sale, and nissan's questionable ASS as confirmed by owners).

As suggested by Nitin, your budget is good enough to fetch you a new AT car.
Ford Figo facelift is on the cards so the current version may be selling at deep discounts - please check your local dealers.
Also, if you weren't averse to Maruti / Hyundai , I would have suggested the Gi10 which is also selling at deep discounts.
Old 19th August 2018, 21:25   #581
BHPian

Quote:
3. Nissan Micra CVT
I would suggest to stay away from the Micra CVT. It has three largest rubber band of the lot. Sudden acceleration and all you will hear is the engine noise. It's best driven sedately.

Jazz would be the best bet of the three. The seven step CVT with paddles is good to drive.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:34   #582
BHPian

Thanks @suku_patel_22, @blackasta, @_nitink_

I will be checking on Honda Jazz CVT and Ford Figo automatic.
Old 22nd August 2018, 15:30   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @suku_patel_22, @blackasta, @_nitink_

I will be checking on Honda Jazz CVT and Ford Figo automatic.
The Figo AT with 1.5L engine and DCT is a hoot to drive. You can even consider the new one with huge discounts.
Old 22nd August 2018, 16:09   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for Safety and Comfort as the main criterias. Not looking at cars from Hyundai and Maruti stable right now.

Hi any reason for not evaluating a Maruti cause very honestly by pushing your budget up by 50-70k I believe you can get a new Baleno automatic instead of a used car and given that safety and comfort are requirements than this car kind of checks all boxes and I can say that because I just replaced my Jazz with a Baleno automatic. also the icing on the cake is in peak traffic the car gives me a mileage of 12-13 kmpl.

In my opinion you should seriously consider this car if you are ok with the lower variants.
Old 22nd August 2018, 16:43   #585
BHPian

A relative recently got a job that involves a 70km to and fro run in Delhi during peak hours. He is looking to buy a car which is cheap to run hence a diesel AT or a CNG AT is preferred. Car will mostly only be a city runabout with only 100odd km highway runs once a month. He was looking at the swift AMT but considering it costs 8L plus on road the Brezza seems to be more value for money less than 2L more expensive then that. But the 10year rule against diesel in NCR and the ever increasing price of diesel goes against this option.

Another option is going for a CNG AT car. What are his options? Does the wagon R CNG come with factory fitted AT? They also have an A star AT in the house (6year old) and can convert that also to CNG if recommended. Not looking to buy a used car and get it converted to CNG. Any help would be appreciated.

Most Viewed