I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 17:25   #301
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am sorry but I do not agree with that. Everyone including the cops know that this judgement is flawed and will be challenged in the court. But due to holidays its getting delayed. There are numerous rules in the rule book which are not followed on our roads. Some of them being:
1. The films with less then 50% VLT.
2. Bull bars.
3. Faulty number plates
4. Cars with defective/broken tail lights
Cant agree more with drmohitg. Though I follow the rules and do not have sunfilms on any of my cars but I feel there seems to something wrong somewhere. Everyone seems to be talking about challenging the order but havent seen any action so far and its already half the summers gone. I wont accept the theory that court is not open, there are special benches which sit even through the holiday period and if some firm/organization/ngo/individual really wanted to bring it up should have done it by now. Just makes me wonder why are firms which manufacture it keeping quiet for this long ?
Old 30th June 2012, 17:26   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I wanted to edit this into the earlier post, but the edit window expired.

Piracy laws are a good example. Common man "gains" from piracy - by not having to pay to watch the latest movies, download latest songs or software. How many common men want the cops to really stop piracy? Sunfilm verdict on the other hand, pinches the pocket of the common man (especially those who have had/will have to remove films). Hence it is being made out to be a law which attempts to make life miserable for the common man.
Sorry I didn't understand your post. Please elaborate further. Are you in favour of the law or against it? Puzzled..
Old 30th June 2012, 17:59   #303
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry but I do not agree with that. Everyone including the cops know that this judgement is flawed and will be challenged in the court. But due to holidays its getting delayed. There are numerous rules in the rule book which are not followed on our roads. Some of them being:
1. The films with less then 50% VLT.
2. Bull bars.
3. Faulty number plates
4. Cars with defective/broken tail lights

This list can grow for as long as you want. But the cops never take any action against all such drivers. But here they found a simple and easy excuse to harass the common man and make a quick fortune for themselves. And hence the swiftness with which they are acting.
Good point indeed. I could add on two more to the list that come straight to mind: - a) driving on the wrong side of the road (which by the way our cops are adept as well - I've noticed cops brazenly driving their jeeps on the wrong side of the road many a times) and b) not allowing cars to stop randomly on the road irrespective of whether the car has broken down or not (can understand if it's the former case, but a lot of times folks just stop as and when they feel like it) as this causes major traffic jams on the already clogged roads.

But then again, these things, while making life easier for the public, don't make them any easy "drinking" money, so I guess it's not so important for them to implement with any degree of seriousness. . .
Old 30th June 2012, 22:43   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I didn't understand your post. Please elaborate further. Are you in favour of the law or against it? Puzzled..
I'm not against the law - either piracy law or sunfilm law. Yes, I think the sunfilm law inconveniences people, especially in places with really hot summers.

But, I won't blame the police for enforcing the law or say that they are out to rob the common man. It doesn't matter if sunfilm of some VLT was legal earlier or not. It doesn't also matter if people with sunfilm are penalised before some of the people doing other traffic or other violations are penalised. My point simply is that police are well within their rights to enforce a law that is laid down by the Supreme Court of India. Blaming the police for enforcing a law you don't like is like shooting the messenger. Your only legal options are to comply or stop using your vehicle or challenge the verdict in the court and at the very least get a stay.

What I meant about the piracy law in the earlier post is that nobody (no common man) really cares if police enforces the piracy law strictly - because as long as it is not enforced and pirated movies/music/software are available common man stands to gain.

People always complain when police enforce a law that they personally don't like. Smoking banned in public and police fines people who smoke in public - some smokers will complain. Police enforce strict speed limits on highways - guys who like speeding on the highway will complain and find ways to justify that ("I was speeding only when no one was in sight", "What good are the 4-lane highways if we have to keep to 70kmph" etc).
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 22:39   #305
BHPian

I was at JC Road auto accessories market 2-3 days back for purchasing some stuff. One shop keeper asked me, sir, do you want anything else, like sunfilms. I was surprised and asked him do you think that people still get sunfilm installed? His reply was, Saab, its a matter of 2-3 months after which everything would be normal. I was pretty intrigued and thought of asking at few other shops and the answer was more or less same.

Now JC road in Bangalore is a place where they know what auto accessory would sell or what would not. And looking at their confidence, I am pretty sure that sunfilm ban would be a thing of past in few more months. I don't think that any organization is going to challenge this order in Supreme Court. Maximum what would happen is that vehicles with absolute dark films would be stopped while those within limits would be let off. I guess there might be an unwritten understanding between enforcing agency and sunfilm makers!
Old 1st July 2012, 22:50   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Maximum what would happen is that vehicles with absolute dark films would be stopped while those within limits would be let off. I guess there might be an unwritten understanding between enforcing agency and sunfilm makers!
You're spot on. I still have my "pre-SC-order-legal-tints" and haven't been stopped yet. Though I hear that cars with darker/opaque windows are being pulled over and fined. It appears that the official stand is "we will fine all sun-films", while the actual stand is "let's only fine those offenders who brought this grief upon everyone in the first place".
Old 1st July 2012, 23:50   #307
BHPian

most cops are just finding it easier way to make money especially in gurgaon, i have got P8 curtains for my car, one cop stopped in the morning and checked for the film but all he found was a pulled up curtains and he let me go. Later in the day other cop stopped me for the same as i was with my better half and they were letting jet black cars go (may be because my car was Delhi number and they were Haryana), it was easier for me to bribe him and move on rather than getting harassed by gurgaon police and pathetic challan office they have. Now the point is who is putting a check on this corruption? no one! this has just given cops a new way to make more money, gurgaon is full of high beam and speed car accidents every day, but no one is checking that.

on the alternative i read about AIS coolglass on windshield website with 47% VLT i am going to check that out may be this weekend, and see if its reasonable to get it considering price of Air 75 or Air 80 sunfilm. As it would be tinted glass they would not be able to do anything.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:34   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

So the court is supposed to open today right? Any news or updates about an appeal regarding this order?
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:13   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
I was at JC Road auto accessories market 2-3 days back for purchasing some stuff. One shop keeper asked me, sir, do you want anything else, like sunfilms. I was surprised and asked him do you think that people still get sunfilm installed? His reply was, Saab, its a matter of 2-3 months after which everything would be normal. I was pretty intrigued and thought of asking at few other shops and the answer was more or less same.

Now JC road in Bangalore is a place where they know what auto accessory would sell or what would not. And looking at their confidence, I am pretty sure that sunfilm ban would be a thing of past in few more months. I don't think that any organization is going to challenge this order in Supreme Court. Maximum what would happen is that vehicles with absolute dark films would be stopped while those within limits would be let off. I guess there might be an unwritten understanding between enforcing agency and sunfilm makers!
Well who are the loosers now? People have spent good money on them and will the authorities pay for the losses. This is just not done
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:20   #310
BHPian

I haven't seen anyone being pulled over for sun-films yet. During my short drive from EC to HSR, I see alot of cars, especially cabs that have sunfilms and the cops dont stop them.

Now I feel stupid to remove my sunfilms as I had the one as per the previous court order.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:20   #311
Senior - BHPian

New Skoda Laura. Tints installed. Vkool K37.
Not overly dark but surely not transparent either.
Nothing happening in Mumbai yet. TOUCHWOOD.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:49   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I haven't seen anyone being pulled over for sun-films yet. During my short drive from EC to HSR, I see alot of cars, especially cabs that have sunfilms and the cops dont stop them.

Now I feel stupid to remove my sunfilms as I had the one as per the previous court order.
i was just wondering the same thing. i see so many cars with tints intact driving around the city. i've seen Inova's the Police use drive around with dark tints. i don't see cops checking for tints (actually, i never have). looks like this whole issue was all hot air!

and yes, i feel kinda stupid now that i removed the tints as soon as the ruling came out
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:03   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i was just wondering the same thing. i see so many cars with tints intact driving around the city. i've seen Inova's the Police use drive around with dark tints. i don't see cops checking for tints (actually, i never have). looks like this whole issue was all hot air!

and yes, i feel kinda stupid now that i removed the tints as soon as the ruling came out
The MLA for Jayanagar constituency owns a black sx4 and it has tints in tact, what else needs to be said. A lot of people i am sure feel cheated! Also I see daily cars with dark tints passing in front of cops and no action being taken. Yes now i feel it was all hypedup and we became victims!

Last edited by sumathindra : 3rd July 2012 at 14:07. Reason: edits
Old 4th July 2012, 16:52   #314
BHPian

I dont know if this has been debated earlier but this is what i found here -

http://www.sherrylegal.com/articles/...rt%20order.pdf

The Law:
As per the provisions of sub-rule (2) of Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicles
Rules, 1989 the glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor
vehicle has to be such and be maintained in such a condition that the visual
transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side
windows have to be such and be maintained in such condition that the visual
transmission of light is not less than 50%.

From May 4,2012, if your car has black film on the front and rear
windscreens that blocks light by more than 30% and the tint on the
side window panes is more than 50%, then you could be in
contempt of court in addition to being prosecuted as per the rules
provided under the Motor Vehicles Act.

I am confused here, so can i get 3M or any other sun-film with 50% transparency and be on the right side of law?
Old 4th July 2012, 17:22   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
I am confused here, so can i get 3M or any other sun-film with 50% transparency and be on the right side of law?
According to the SC verdict it is illegal to have any sunfilm irrespective of the VLT.
Checking by cops is regional dependent so you could take a call basis the scenario at your location!

I have the legal 3M film since the day I purchased the car in late 2011 and been driving here with no hassels so far!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th July 2012 at 17:28.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks