Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 11:38   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched

Ford seems to have go it's strategy right. The few main highlights of the new Figo for me are:
- A powerful diesel. The 1.5 100ps engine finally give the Ford hatch the power to go with the great Ford handling.
- The 102 ps 6 speed auto petrol. Finally a premium petrol hatch without blasting a hole in your pocket like the GT TSI.
- Well designed interiors.

I am perplexed by the fact that there are next to no reviews of the Figo. Usually we would be stumbling over those once the car is launched. Were there no pre launch media coverage for the car?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 24th September 2015, 12:01   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a mailer from Ford.
Of all the points I was particularly drawn to the following point...

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-untitled.jpg

They claim 100PS is the best in class!
I then checked the fineprint which was as below

The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched-capture.jpg
Power is for diesel powertrain. segment/class defined as hatchback under 4 metres.

How can they claim this when we have the Polo GT TDI in the market which is rated at 105PS?
Doesn't this amount to cheating?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 24th September 2015 at 12:04.
Old 24th September 2015, 12:16   #378
Senior - BHPian

Thank you to Amey Desai for sharing this information with other enthusiasts!

Given below is a look at the Figo's price list in Goa.

Price list For Ford Figo w.e.f 23rd September 2015.pdf
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:17   #379
BHPian

Has any automag reported the 0-100 time for the 112ps/AT version of Figo or Aspire? BTW, what is it for Polo-GT Tsi?

Given that the wheelbase of Figo is same as Aspire (and Figo is just 10cms shorter in length, which is probably accounted for by additional 100L boot space on Aspire), I'm expecting the Figo to have a back seat as spacious as Aspire, which is great!

The only fly in the ointment so far, is the lack of adjustable headrests. Why ford why?

Last edited by Su-47 : 24th September 2015 at 12:24.
Old 24th September 2015, 12:19   #380
BHPian

This is just a marketing gimmick that manufacturers resort to, a common practice. The print ads usually will show the price of the base petrol variants, features of the top end variant, power and torque of the bigger, better engines, FE of the diesel variant.
But I would not call it cheating, probably misinterpretation though that is also wrong. They can refer best in class power for the AT variant which has 110 PS and loses out to GT TSI on torque.
Old 24th September 2015, 12:34   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
How can they claim this when we have the Polo GT TDI in the market which is rated at 105PS?
Except for the RPM at which the power and torque is achieved GT has more power than the Aspire with the same 1.5l engine in both places.

Whether its called cheating or not an informed buyer shall look at these numbers before his decision is made.

On a different not, I remember a shoot out with Narain Karthikeyan where the Figo(old) won the lap timing though being lesser in power and torque because of the chassis and steering feedback.

This marketing games are like what Horlicks and Complan are doing now. Children grow 2.3x times faster, will I like my Son or Daughter to look like a class 2 student when joining Kindergarten
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:35   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford have put up the city-wise price list on their website: LINK
Attached for convenience: Ford New Figo Pricelist - Sep 2015.pdf

Note that these prices are purely ex-showroom by city/state. They don't have local taxes, insurance, nor add-ons that dealers love to put in (accessories, handling charges, etc)
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:42   #383
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next-gen Ford Figo unveiled! Details on page 6

Quote:

Power is for diesel powertrain. segment/class defined as hatchback under 4 metres.

Diesel Titanium variant is priced at 6.7L while GT TDi is priced at 8.6L if I remember correctly. That's a huge price difference with the GT being in the premium hatch price levels against Jazz and Elite i20.

I think Figo can claim for best-in-class power against the class of Swift, Grand i10, Etios Liva etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I.
1.5L Engine + 112 PS power + 6 speed DCT on a hatchback should kill anything south of the GT TSI.
Why south of GT?

I'm wondering why anyone should buy the GT with 105ps now at 8.6L now when Figo with 112ps is available at 6.9L? Both are having dual clutch automatics, with the VW having a bad reputation on the reliability.

Polo was never known for space anyways and is comparable to the Figo. So does it justify the 2L premium in any way?

Be it the GT TDi or the GT TSi- Figo suddenly makes the GT portfolio look very overpriced IMO. Well done, Ford.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th September 2015 at 12:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:18   #384
BHPian

Car Blog India's "Walk Around" Review:

He mentions he will drive the car in 2 days and the review will follow soon.
Nonetheless, waiting for the detailed and unbiased T-bhp review and let's spare the mods some more time for the same since I haven't seen any pre launch first drive/review videos for the new Figo unlike the Renault Kwid.
Old 24th September 2015, 13:27   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think pricewise they would come in the Grand i10 segment. From that perspective it is best in class. The GT aside the car also compares very favorably with the standard variants of the premium hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Be it the GT TDi or the GT TSi- Figo suddenly makes the GT portfolio look very overpriced IMO. Well done, Ford.
The new GT TDi was anyway an eyewash. VW has basically put some painted bits and a badge and that's about it. The 90 ps std variant can be tuned to deliver much more power. The real blow has been delivered to the GT TSI. If Ford's PowerShift is good, the TSI numbers may be strangled.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th September 2015 at 14:05. Reason: Fixing quotes.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:38   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got a mailer from Ford.
Of all the points I was particularly drawn to the following point...

Attachment 1419044

Attachment 1419043

Hemanth, IINM Ford is referring to the ARAI's fuel efficiency figures (check the # mark; it says Fuel Economy as per ARAI for diesel powertrain). For the Polo 1.5 L diesel, it is 20.14 km/l whereas the Figo gets 25.83 km/l.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th September 2015 at 13:39.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:00   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post
Whether its called cheating or not an informed buyer shall look at these numbers before his decision is made.
Agreed, but that doesn't justify this and that doesn't mean you can say anything you like does it?

Quote:
This marketing games are like what Horlicks and Complan are doing now. Children grow 2.3x times faster, will I like my Son or Daughter to look like a class 2 student when joining Kindergarten
Their argument would be that your kid in class 2 will look like a Kindergarten kid

Quote:
I think Figo can claim for best-in-class power against the class of Swift, Grand i10, Etios Liva etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I think pricewise they would come in the Grand i10 segment. From that perspective it is best in class.
It will be the best around the Grand i10 cluster of cars.
Had they defined the segment based on price, it would have been fine.
But they have clearly mentioned in the fineprint that the segment is defined as "hatchback under 4 metres"

Quote:
Quote:
The new GT TDi was anyway an eyewash. VW has basically put some painted bits and a badge and that's about it. The 90 ps std variant can be tuned to deliver much more power. The real blow has been delivered to the GT TSI. If Ford's PowerShift is good, the TSI numbers may be strangled.
Yes, the GT twins suddenly appear expensive. Eagerly looking forward to what VW will come up with to counter this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hemanth, IINM Ford is referring to the ARAI's fuel efficiency figures. For the Polo 1.5 L diesel, it is 20.14 km/l whereas the Figo gets 25.83 km/l.
The ad says Best in class 100PS power. Figo is 100PS and Polo GT TDI is 105PS
If its a typo, then, I must say the proof reader is really bad at his job.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 24th September 2015 at 14:01.
Old 24th September 2015, 14:08   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
(check the # mark; it says Fuel Economy as per ARAI for diesel powertrain). For the Polo 1.5 L diesel, it is 20.14 km/l whereas the Figo gets 25.83 km/l.
I zoomed and could see that * for Fuel Economy and # for Segment under 4m
I think Hemant has point that the ad is misleading

Ford has a habit of not advertising all the features in their cars, this looks the other way around. May be they got all too excited on the car launch
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:10   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, the GT twins suddenly appear expensive. Eagerly looking forward to what VW will come up with to counter this
I dont think VW can leave the Ford in their "smoke" anytime soon!

The biggest downer for me is the lack of the 6 airbags version for the AT in the Figo. With the current top end AT priced at 6.9L, I would have loved a version with 6 airbags at less than 7.5L. That move would make the GT TSi obsolete. Hope Ford considers this soon.

The diesel Titanium+ already has this advantage over the GT TDi, while being a good 1.5L cheaper.

PS - Good times for the enthusiast hatchback buyer, with Figo diesel, Figo 1.5 DCT, GT TSi, GT TDi and Punto Abarth bringing performance as never experienced before in such price brackets.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:11   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why south of GT?

I'm wondering why anyone should buy the GT with 105ps now at 8.6L now when Figo with 112ps is available at 6.9L? Both are having dual clutch automatics, with the VW having a bad reputation on the reliability.

Polo was never known for space anyways and is comparable to the Figo. So does it justify the 2L premium in any way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The real blow has been delivered to the GT TSI. If Ford's PowerShift is good, the TSI numbers may be strangled.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Although both the cars are in the same segment and absolutely comparable, I feel the GT TSi is in another league still.

I am not a fan boy, so this is just from a perspective after driving both.

The Figo has the advantage of a bigger engine, but what Figo doesn't have, which is a major link in engine response of both, is the turbo. I had driven the Aspire automatic and it did not give me that joy I felt when I first drove a TSi Polo. In fact I felt it was quite run of the mill type for a 1.5 petrol engine with a dual clutch gearbox. Yes, the dual clutch is a big plus point on the new Figo, but that engine doesn't do justice to the gearbox unlike the TSi which are perfect mates.

Having sad that, the Figo is a worthy alternative to the Polo TSi in other departments especially for buyers looking at a hatch , but not wanting to shell out 10lak plus .
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks