Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 15:33   #2521
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Don't know what you mean by smashing, but then it certainly seems to be very driveable at low RPM, has better in-gear acceleration and a much higher top speed (>180 kmph). The engine produces ample power and torque, it is just that the gearing is more for high speed touring rather than short range sprinting.
Agreed. It's a very driveable engine. Certainly is enough and more for the segment. No doubts.

However, the way the below feedbacks were worded by the birdies, I personally expected a lot more. As of now, it's a no brainer alternative to the 1.3 DDiS vehicles, but I was expecting a 1.6 DDiS type of performance instead, as per earlier rumours from the birdies.

Here, you go! You can be the judge yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
From the feedback I am receiving though, the diesel is turning out to be quite the stellar one. Packs a mid-range punch unlike any other in it's segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
From what I am hearing, the diesel is turning out to be quite the performer, with an ultra-strong mid-range.
This could be because the test cars run much higher states of tune as compared to the production versions. Hence my suggestion to word it carefully when leaking such feedback from the birdies.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th September 2017 at 15:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 16:06   #2522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No offence Avi. But the same guys told the diesel engine has smashing performance and mid-range. It's good no doubt, but tuned for driveability and not performance as the birdies predicted.
Quote:
This could be because the test cars run much higher states of tune as compared to the production versions.
Nowhere have I mentioned smashing performance, my friend.

The feedback I had received was a strong mid-range (between 1,800RPM to 3,700RPM) in the 3rd and 4th gears, specially the 3rd. Hence in-city driving would be effortless, and long-distance cruising/touring would be superb.

If you (or anyone else) expected an i-VTEC-ish or older DDiS's sort of "rush" by that (thrown-back-into-the-seat feeling), then I apologise for wording the feedback wrongly.

My suggestion - walk into the nearest Tata showroom and take the Nexon diesel out for a long TD. See how the car performs in the 3rd gear, above 1,500RPM. Please come back and post your experience. Don't go by what reviewers or other members are reporting. Forget the numbers thrown out by other auto publications - judge by your own TD experience.

Quote:
Not your fault nor theirs though. Believe the issue is that the test cars run higher states of tune to, well, test it properly. Would be safer to wait it out till the production versions hit the road, else there will be a lot of disappointment based on the predictions. Afterall, it's an AMT unit.
True. I would say never judge any aspect of a car until and unless you get to experience it thoroughly yourself. The feedback I receive from my sources is a parameter - go out and extensively test drive the cars and then match your observations with these parameters accordingly.

Quote:
Hence my suggestion to word it carefully when leaking such feedback from the birdies.
Point noted. I shall keep any/all such feedback to myself from now on.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th September 2017 at 16:11. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 16:07   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I can understand you excitement but you are taking things too far, IMO. People buying City or Rapid are someone looking for some class than the street-smart look of the Nexon. Yes, Nexon is a very good product from Tata, and it can attract sales from Brezza, Ecosport, i20, Swift, sub-4m sedans etc but expecting sales from C-segment sedans is a wild dream. I don't think even Tata people are expecting this.
I don't understand what class the City and Rapid have. I would pick the Nexon diesel over the Rapid and City diesels.

I mean the exteriors of both the cars are full and old, the interiors of the Rapid clearly show their age and frankly too old to be considered modern.

The Nexon is on par or outclasses it in the power train and ride/ handling sections as well. The only Change segment sedan that is better than the Nexon is the Verna.
Old 25th September 2017, 16:16   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I don't understand what class the City and Rapid have. I would pick the Nexon diesel over the Rapid and City diesels.

I mean the exteriors of both the cars are full and old, the interiors of the Rapid clearly show their age and frankly too old to be considered modern.

The Nexon is on par or outclasses it in the power train and ride/ handling sections as well. The only Change segment sedan that is better than the Nexon is the Verna.
I completely agree, I would any day prefer a Nexon as compared to the City Diesel or Rapid diesel. I have driven all three and this is my perspective.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 16:17   #2525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The City's interiors are pretty modern & feel good. Not that they are made of really good quality plastics, but I don't think the competition of the City is offering something better either. Rapid - well its a VW based car & in line with their standard setup. VWs are never visibly advanced per say. Always understated & functional. Yet - they do a wonderful job of putting things at perfect places that very few others do. (Cannot excuse them for putting the indicator and wiper stalks on wrong sides though!).

Then again - the Nexon is based on the X1 and from a LOT of angles it does remind of its Vista genetics no matter how much they have tried to hide it. So we cannot say City is "old" too easily.

As for the engines - the 1.5 iDTEC is certainly not a master of any trades at all & just about a Jack of few like the FE. So agreed, the 1.5 Revotorq is way better from what we are seeing for now.

To say that the 1.5 RTQ is better than a VW 1.5TDI is quite an ambitious statement though. And then - the TDI can be mated with a 7 speed DSG and the car will reach the next toll while Nexon is just about reaching the 5th gear from one toll plaza...Maybe the current 1.5 TDI may not be BS5/6 compliant which the 1.5RTQ will be easily convertible to. But VW can do that with software hacks . (On a serious note - they can actually do the required changes if they want.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th September 2017 at 16:31.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 16:22   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Took a test drive and am thoroughly impressed with Diesel top end. So excited! Need one to grace our garage at the earliest.

The showroom experience at Aadhya was underwhelming, so is there any other dealership you'd suggest in Bangalore for a better response? Please PM me any references if you can. Want to be one of the first to get the car.
If you don't mind, Could you please share the On road prices for Bangalore .
Old 25th September 2017, 16:26   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can understand you excitement but you are taking things too far, IMO. People buying City or Rapid are someone looking for some class than the street-smart look of the Nexon. Yes, Nexon is a very good product from Tata, and it can attract sales from Brezza, Ecosport, i20, Swift, sub-4m sedans etc but expecting sales from C-segment sedans is a wild dream. I don't think even Tata people are expecting this.
Well, I cannot say about class etc, but I know about at least one case where the client (who is not an automobile enthusiast) started with a 15L budget, evaluated City\Rapid etc among other options and zeroed in on top end Nexon as his next car. So, yes - some cross shopping is happening and will happen.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 25th September 2017 at 16:52.
theexperthand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 17:12   #2528
Senior - BHPian

On Road Bengaluru

Petrol
XE - 745253
XM - 822630
XT - 919210
XZ+ST - 1056318
XZ+DT - 1074202

Diesel
XE - 871625
XM - 944890
XT - 1027598
XZ+ST - 1164706
XZ+DT - 1182590

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
If you don't mind, Could you please share the On road prices for Bangalore .
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 17:13   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
My close friend and colleague has shortlisted the new 2017 Verna and the Tata Nexon XZ+ for his upgrade from i10. Another colleague planning to upgrade from the Swift has shortlisted the Ciaz, the Vitara Brezza and the Tata Nexon.

I believe people are sitting up and taking notice.
Enobarbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 17:53   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
I mean the exteriors of both the cars are full and old

Mods, please edit the post to bland and old. Also, in the second para, meant a C segment sedan. Sorry for the typos, over my 30 minute time limit for editing posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The City's interiors are pretty modern & feel good. Not that they are made of really good quality plastics, but I don't think the competition of the City is offering something better either.

Then again - the Nexon is based on the X1 and from a LOT of angles it does remind of its Vista genetics no matter how much they have tried to hide it. So we cannot say City is "old" too easily.

To say that the 1.5 RTQ is better than a VW 1.5TDI is quite an ambitious statement though. And then - the TDI can be mated with a 7 speed DSG and the car will reach the next toll while Nexon is just about reaching the 5th gear from one toll plaza.
That is why I mentioned the word on par. The City has a lot of features but quality wise ,it would be on par.

They have managed to hide the Indica Vista proportions well enough. The City looks very much like the previous generation .

The Auto is sure a positive for the Rapid.But then , I don't think the 1.5 VW diesel is that much quicker compared to the Nexon. They have got similar ratings and weigh almost similar. Come on , the toll gate comparisons are quite exaggerated.

I have not driven the VW diesels much. Only a short test drive in the city once and I didn't like the vibrations on the clutch. They might be marginally better . An Aspire TDCI was able to smoke a Polo GT TDI. At the maximum, they might be only a second quicker.
Old 25th September 2017, 18:41   #2531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The City looks very much like the previous generation .
That is bound to happen isn't it? Otherwise it will be a different car altogether. It has to look like a 3 box compact car (sedan in Indian nomenclature). Within those dimensions & a brand's design philosophy there's only as much as can be done. Every car maker has that juggling act of making sure that people still recognize the new generation with the badge, it still feels new - and makes the maximum profit still for them..

An ALL NEW version will generally arrive 1.5 to 2 decades apart. Honda has been doing OK with the City's design changes IMO. And I'm not one of the people who like the City really!

Quote:
Come on , the toll gate comparisons are quite exaggerated.
Of course it was - but stand besides a TDI-DSG at a traffic signal. Look at it vanish into the horizon off the line. It is impossible to catch those with manual shifters; whatever engine you bring.

But I get your point - maybe the 1.5 TDI as an engine on its own isn't that great in your opinion & it may be true also. I always conveniently assume its the engine when the Ventos smoke me on the roads .

Quote:
I have not driven the VW diesels much. Only a short test drive in the city once and I didn't like the vibrations on the clutch. They might be marginally better . An Aspire TDCI was able to smoke a Polo GT TDI. At the maximum, they might be only a second quicker.
Was the GT TDI fellow a good driver & was actually in the mood to race? If not - I could smoke him too .

Yep - the VW TDIs are a bit high on diesel clatter. Trust me - the Ford 1.5 TDCI is one of the best diesels available in a large affordability spectrum. If you feel that the new Revotorq is on par with performance (in current state of tune) then it is a good achievement by TML! Then again, there is some tuning that can be done on the 1.5 TDI to unleash the beast within a bit more. Unknown about the Revotorq & the engine is simply too new to know if this can be reliably done. A small problem with local Indian made engines. No readily available customization stuff like globally available engine platforms.

Although with the Nexon's dimensions and weight - it will still not be a racer.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th September 2017 at 18:52.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 20:03   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
An ALL NEW version will generally arrive 1.5 to 2 decades apart. Honda has been doing OK with the City's design changes IMO. And I'm not one of the people who like the City really!

Of course it was - but stand besides a TDI-DSG at a traffic signal. Look at it vanish into the horizon off the line. It is impossible to catch those with manual shifters; whatever engine you bring.

But I get your point - maybe the 1.5 TDI as an engine on its own isn't that great in your opinion & it may be true also. I always conveniently assume its the engine when the Ventos smoke me on the roads .

Was the GT TDI fellow a good driver & was actually in the mood to race?
The first 3 generations of the Honda City were distinctively different and were separated by 5-6 years on average.

The video of GT TDI being smoked by the Aspire diesel was created by team bhpian Karan561 . You can watch the video on YouTube.

My comment was to the person who called the Rapid and the City classy. The Rapid might be quicker but only marginally. The Nexon can very well hold it's own.

Now, if you compare a Corolla Diesel with the Octavia or Cruze, then I would call the Octavia and Cruze classy. Similar segments, similar prices but light-years ahead in performance and engine capacity.

In this case, the Nexon offers 99 % of what the City and Rapid offers ( let's just compare manual diesels) at 85% of that price even if that price difference is due to differential taxation . Plus , the added advantage of ground clearance.

How much GC is worth ? Priceless , if you ask me. My daily driver is a Figo and it has bottomed out half a dozen times over the weekend driving around Chennai and it's suburbs. I would only upgrade to a vehicle with high ground clearance.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 25th September 2017 at 20:05.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 20:55   #2533
BHPian

So owing to the plethora of negative comments, Autoportal have disabled comments on their video of the comparison between Nexon and Brezza! I think it is not fair to the people who might not be aware about what they have done and are relying on their videos for making a purchase decision.

Btw the channel had 192k subscribers yesterday in the afternoon and had lost nearly 1k subscribers since yesterday
akhil994 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 20:57   #2534
BHPian

Fortune Motors Thane changed their Nexon price list today. (Mods! Can you merge with my earlier post of th price list?) Here is the new price list. Notice the drop in the "handling" charges and insurance. I was intrigued by the new cost of the "basic" accessories and asked for the details. Also got the price list of Nexon genuine accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-newplist.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20170925wa0001.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20170925wa0000.jpg  

Kommandogerät is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 21:01   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
..but I was expecting a 1.6 DDiS type of performance instead, as per earlier rumours from the birdies.

...my suggestion to word it carefully when leaking such feedback from the birdies.
A feedback from a birdie is just that, a feedback from a birdie. I don't remember anyone mentioning anywhere that the 1.5 Revotorq was as explosive as the 1.6 DDiS. It's fascinating how you built up your entire opinion on this car based on some old bird chirps and photos, and is still getting disappointed on it's performance with just the hearsay (which you just asked people to take with a pinch of salt) when the vehicle is right there up for grabs for a test drive and you have an opportunity to feel it first hand.

You, my friend, are giving Ashish Masih a run for his money. May be it's time for you to take a test drive of the Nexon and post your first hand impressions here. When you go, it would help to go with reasonable expectations from a car below 10 lakhs, of which the entire 10 lakhs was not spent by the manufacturer on the engine performance tuning.
jayded is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks