Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which design of S-Cross do you like better?
Current design is better 150 23.44%
Facelifted look is much better 297 46.41%
It's a matter of personal taste but actually both look good 59 9.22%
Neither of the two look any good to me 134 20.94%
Voters: 640. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2017, 14:59   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: 2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I am not sure why these new launches are without the Automatic Transmissions. Renault Captur and now this.

Just making my hunt for new car more and more difficult.
I agree; as essential today as A/C became 20 years ago. Why even the Etios Liva, a workhorse if there was one, could benefit from this. So it isn't just the new launches that have this missing.

And it needs to be better than a jerky AMT, when made available.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 15:01   #647
BHPian

Sir,
With this smart hybrid - stop/start feature, how the "idling rule" for turbo engines before switching off the engine is getting compromised or taken care off?
Old 26th September 2017, 17:04   #648
BHPian

Atleast the new Orange color would have helped my cause :(
Completely disappointed with facelift. As is the case with captur.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh-1506425697802.jpg  

nagateja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 18:02   #649
Senior - BHPian

Big thumbs up to people who got the 1.6 DDiS version ! They will keep the car for years to come

Will have to see the car in flesh to know how good or bad she looks.
I find the 1.3 Multijet engine on my brother's Linea a bit worked upon with full load, so its a pity that Maruti Suzuki is not offering the 1.6 Diesel going forward when the competition is coming up with better engines. With this, they also lose the X factor that S-Cross had over her sibling: Ciaz or Brezza.

The only advantage I see of this 1.3L engine is its proven reliability. I've been told by cabbies in North India that they have driven 1.3 diesel engine cars (Ritz/Dzire Tour) for more than 2 lakh kilometers doing just routine service.
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 18:24   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Not sure if mild hybrids like SHVS are covered in this scheme. Quoting from the article:
I believe the subsidy on mild hybrids have been taken off by GoI. Anyway it was just Rs13k for Ciaz/Ertiga mild hybrids, not a significant amount when looking at the fuel efficiency improvements coming from mild-hybrid (claimed 10-15%).
Old 26th September 2017, 19:25   #651
BHPian

Just trying to understand the rationale behind removing the 1.6 DDiS version. Agreed that sales were low, but most of them point out that they stopped because they had to pay huge royalties to FIAT for that engine. But wasn't that royalty passed to customer to pay in the first place? It's not been even 2 years since the launch and they stop it. If there is a plan to put the new 1.5 in house into this couple of years down the line, why couldn't they continue selling till then. My assumption is, apart from our forum, no one is discussing the 1.6 or is disappointed and we are still a very sparse crowd
Old 26th September 2017, 19:54   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Just trying to understand the rationale behind removing the 1.6 DDiS version. My assumption is, apart from our forum, no one is discussing the 1.6 or is disappointed and we are still a very sparse crowd
Correct. I believe there was one or a bunch of enthusiasts within MSIL who somehow convinced the management to offer a bigger engine in the previous version of the S-Cross to offer a choice to the enthusiast customer who was looking out for excellent stock performance right out of the factory. They did all the homework, imported engines from Europe and got the car to production. However, the bunch of non enthusiasts in the finance department did not bother about who would buy the 1.6, and hence just copy pasted the input cost of the engine to the sticker price of the 1.3 to derive the prices for the 1.6 variants. Hence, they got the prices of the 1.6 so high that apart from those buyers like the ones here in our forum, no one could even convince himself to pay up close to 2L rupees or more for the same car, but with a bigger engine.

Then, salesmen who were put to pressure in new Nexa showrooms to achieve numbers never bothered about what the 1.6 offered and were happy to convince customers to book a 1.3, by promising them high mileage figures. Unless they had an unsold 1.6 in their inventory, they did not even recommend one to a customer since they had a hunch that the customer would walk away hearing the price. In the middle of all this came the price cut, but when has it ever worked in India?

Coming back to the scene in MSIL R&D Department, the thought of a facelifted S-Cross came to the discussion room, and so did the bunch of enthusiasts behind the 1.6. While the average employee suggested improving mileage figures, adding a mild hybrid system, updating design to the global variant, the bunch of enthusiasts suggested localizing the production of 1.6 and offering it at a lower price. Unfortunately, another guy opened sales charts, and these enthusiasts were laughed at, and shown the door. From then on, they haven't been seen around. *

Thus, people like me looking for an upgrade are now left with the national engine if we buy the S-Cross. I was thinking of swapping my SX4 with the 1.6 if it actually came into existence with the facelift but now I am kind of left with no other option but the overgrown hatch called Creta and cars like the Duster, Terrano etc which are again far from being an all round package. Recently had back to back test drives of the S-Cross 1.3, Verna, Creta and man, the S-Cross was just such a perfect car to drive around, except that the engine lacked punch. The Hyundais had a superb engine, but its dynamics were far from being a match to the powertrain. Came back home and promised to take care of my SX4 for a longer time, while an upgrade can always happen to a bigger vehicle instead of a swap.

*A purely fictitious story which has no resemblance to what could have actually happened
audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 20:26   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Recently had back to back test drives of the S-Cross 1.3, Verna, Creta and man, the S-Cross was just such a perfect car to drive around, except that the engine lacked punch.
I agree; I saw the car in the flesh recently, parked; it is a BIG rugged car was the realisation.
The 1.6 with auto/cruise control would have been a great highway car for Indian conditions that could be bettered at only a much higher price; but it would still be too costly to garner volumes. Pity.

Last edited by Sawyer : 26th September 2017 at 20:28.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 23:01   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just trying to understand the rationale behind removing the 1.6 DDiS version.
1. Very less demand. I think S-Cross 1.6 sold around 4000 units in 2 years.

2. High import costs

3. The main reason : Suzuki in house 1.5 diesel engine. This engine is coming soon, already in final phase of testing in Ciaz. It doesn't make any sense for Maruti to sell 1.3, 1.5 and 1.6 diesel engines together. Another point is they can't just discontinue 1.6 overnight and get their 1.5 diesel engine. Maruti is scared.. When they discontinue something and get something else : it should be better right? Do you think Maruti 1.5 diesel engine would better 1.6 MJD?? Never!! Maruti has played it smart : discontinue 1.6 in face lift S-Cross and then launch their in house 1.5 diesel engine.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 00:20   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

I was trying to figure out the tyre brand from the video. I took a screenshot and edited it. It looks like the tyres are JK UX Royale 215/60 R16.
2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh-img_20170927_000734.jpg

Looks closely and you will see _YRE (TYRE) and that design on sidewall are same as JK Royale The tyre size is 215/60 R16 as per the reports.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 27th September 2017 at 00:23.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 09:49   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

S-Cross Mini Brochure
2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh-img20170927wa0010.jpg

Additional features in Face Lift :
1. Android Auto
2. LED projectors and LED DRL (outgoing car did not have real DRL)
3. Auto headlamps levelling
4. LED tail lamps

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2017 at 00:27.
Dr.Naren is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 10:11   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuniswami View Post
Sir,
With this smart hybrid - stop/start feature, how the "idling rule" for turbo engines before switching off the engine is getting compromised or taken care off?
I think this is over hyped. The engine is turned off only when you stop, why would you even be revv'ing up your engine at that point. Its total waste of fuel and polluting to un-necessarily idle unless its required to keep the accessories going.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 10:33   #658
BHPian

Basis the mini broucher shared, it does not mention the projectors to be standard across variant. Any clarity on it? Also, does all the variants get atleast the manual day/night IRVM? I see the top variant gets auto.
Old 27th September 2017, 10:49   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
1. Very less demand. I think S-Cross 1.6 sold around 4000 units in 2 years.

2. High import costs

3. The main reason : Suzuki in house 1.5 diesel engine.
They sold just 4000 in 2 years?
My god that is indeed a super flop. Even after the price drop if the sales are this bad then it makes sense to stop it. I can't wrap my head around that figure of 4000. 4000 odd out of 53590 dispatches. That is like 7.5% of the total S-Cross sales. There were more than 4000 people in our forum going ga ga over it! I guess we are also like twitter crowd who are keyboard warriors and not the real ones

The 1.5 is not coming to S-cross before 2019 as per many reports here. I thought they definitely could have retained for one more year in that case but looking at that numbers, it would be foolish to retain as you say.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 10:59   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They sold just 4000 in 2 years?
Yes, this is a rough figure based on number of engines imported from Italy.

Quote:
There were more than 4000 people in our forum going ga ga over it! I guess we are also like twitter crowd who are keyboard warriors and not the real ones
Many Enthusiasts here and we all go ga ga over products like S-Cross 1.6

Quote:
The 1.5 is not coming to S-cross before 2019 as per many reports here. I thought they definitely could have retained for one more year in that case but looking at that numbers, it would be foolish to retain as you say.
Expect mid 2018 launch!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks