Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2020, 19:21   #1561
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

So the Thar 2020 is still a sub 4m SUV at 3920mm length , wonder what's stopping them from launching a 2WD Thar with 1.5L engine from Marazzo/XUV300 with some power tweaks, coupled to MT & AT gearboxes .

It would be much more affordable and nimble with reduced weight, Mahindra should consider launching such lifestyle variants after settling down the initial euphoria, just for the urban fanbase.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 18th August 2020 at 19:33.
TorqueIndia is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 19:52   #1562
BHPian

Those who are worried about waterproofing/water resistance can refer to IP54 standard
IP54 : Protected from limited dust ingress/Protected from water spray from any direction
Hopefully this will clear all the doubts
I am surprised to see some bhpians criticising just based on video reviews. I think we should give credit to mahindra for their work. It is better to wait for detailed test drive and decide based on that car buying for most of us is heart over brain matter at times, so going by just the numbers and features might not go well in the long term. Take my example - I bought Elite i20 based on specs and VFM factor, even though me and my wife wanted to go for VW Polo. While i20 never gave any cause for concern, my heart skipped a beat whenever a polo passed by ( I think even my wife had the same feeling). So when it was time for next car, I did not even think and bought Polo 1.0 TSI. NOW I ENJOY MORE GRIN PER MILE, compared to my experience with Elite i20...

Last edited by BlackPearl : 19th August 2020 at 04:34. Reason: Fixed typo and removed extra dots in sentences. Thanks.
IntoTheStorm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 20:21   #1563
Team-BHP Support

I recall back in 2003 / 04 the Getz was almost a failure. It was seen to be way too pricey for a "hatch" at a 5 lakh plus price tag. Then came the swift and created an entire segment of desirable hatchbacks. People would pick the swift over even an esteem at comparable price. Unthinkable that a hatch could be picked over a sedan. After all boot meant prestige. And single handedly I believe the swift actually brought an aura of acceptable for the Getz as well.

I just wonder how many sales of other brands this thar is going to trigger if it is wrongly (over)priced. It is tremendously desirable. No doubt about that. The heart wants what it wants. One goes to the showroom and decides one is ok to spend that kind of money just because it is so desirable. Then the head steps in. It says. Hang on, for similar money / pay just a couple of lakhs more and you can buy a manual base 4x4 compass. Yes it's base but even in base trim it is as well specced. And it's jeep. Not "like" a jeep. Or is the latest duster 4x4 seeming like a good bet too. After all I wanna off road on weekends but I'm not exactly going to climb rocks.

Or maybe the head will completely take over and say, look - it's just not worth that price. Can't you buy a motorbike or something instead if you must play! 😂

PS: Please excuse the ramblings of a BHPian completely smitten by the Thar for now. More from me in October.
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 20:57   #1564
BHPian

I see a lot of Thar tuning houses working a design up for a new grille, specially considering how mods friendly these are and I see no reason for the new one to be any different Research and mod list in the mind begins
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 21:33   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Official bookings are slated to start in October after launch - as per some dealers. Some un-official pre-bookings are happening with some dealers (Rs. 10/15K). Probably just to make some quick bucks.

By the way, does AX have AT? Automatic comes only in LX variant I guess.
Apologies. I meant the LX. Yes need an Auto.

Makes sense about the booking amount. I don’t mind blocking 10k at the moment.
Old 18th August 2020, 21:35   #1566
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReddy View Post
One of the biggest known Jeep lovers on this forum, GTO has given a thumbs up to Mahindra's effort with the new THAR, yet our arm chair enthusiasts seem to have a problem with the grill of all things.
So anyone who's not a certified Jeep lover is an arm chair enthusiast for critiquing design choices? This is an ad-hominem argument if I ever saw one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReddy View Post
Looks to me like not being "phoren" enough and hence not automatically being a premium or desirable product is the main issue here. What if Mahindra had totally redesigned the thar to look something like an Ecosport, everyone would have been crying that they destroyed an icon.
Why do they have to copy at all? Look at the XUV500, an entirely original design by Mahindra which has got them quite good success.
GBX is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 21:37   #1567
Distinguished - BHPian

Road presence? You betcha!

Sent by a friend on WhatsApp.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 22:49   #1568
BHPian

Looks like after market grills are ready before launch. Received via Whatsapp.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200818wa0150.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200818wa0151.jpg
arungeorge is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 22:57   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Why do they have to copy at all? Look at the XUV500, an entirely original design by Mahindra which has got them quite good success.
Agree with you on this point but I personally dont like the XUV5OO design(more of a Rhino than a Cheetah), infact the scorpio and even the bolero look more SUV like in my mind. The Marazzo seemed like a pretty decent effort in the recent past from Mahindra.

I personally never admired the Mahindra group as I had heard some unflattering things being said by one of their employees about the Nano, which I still feel is a car that the automobile industry world over should be proud of.

Unfortunately though my good sir, the ways of the world are such that an 'original, sincere, true to the heart' design such as the Nano got buried. Although I admire the Tata group for their ethics and being trailblazers in the industry and the country, somehow they dont seem to be able convert all that goodwill into the kind of sales they deserve.

This new Thar might actually end up getting sold in good numbers precisely for the reason that we are currently debating about, looking like a poor cousin of the wrangler. After all isnt that exactly what rich kids who had the spare cash were doing all along with the old Thar. Mahindra has just made their lives easier by giving such a car direct out of the showroom.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th August 2020 at 05:42. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
DReddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 22:59   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Any iteration of last gen boxy thar ( a refined form) will more or less look like current thar ( Or a wrangler!). I dont think current thar would have got so much attention ( for the right or wrong reasons) if it looked like a creta!
IntoTheStorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 00:02   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I just wonder how many sales of other brands this Thar is going to trigger if it is wrongly (over)priced.
The problem at least currently and it looks like it will remain in near future is the lack of other products which can be an actual alternative to Thar.

The below points are all based on the assumption that anyone looking at Thar wants/needs some sort of 4WD/AWD system as those who don't want it will anyway not bother about Thar in a few days I think.

Competitors of Thar -

Maruti Stable - Used Gypsy Kings are day by day becoming more logical choice than Jimny. It looks like Maruti will not launch Jimny until Indian Army wants it. Jimny 3-Door can give good competition to Thar but Jimny 5-Door looks a product of a different segment altogether, more of a smaller Bolero 4WD. Maruti's indifferent attitude towards Indian's love for Gypsy is hurting their cause with each passing day.
S-Cross with AWD ? Global Spec Scross has optional AWD and Indian S-Cross doesn't even though none of the S-Cross competitors are AWD capable. Again shows how Maruti views Indians desire of AWD machines.

Hyundai/Kia Stable - Indian Creta does not get AWD, Tucson has AWD and if Thar somehow prices up to ~25L OTR then Tucson AWD suddenly looks so much more desirable.

Honda Stable - No AWD model from Honda as per my understanding, they don't even have any such product in pipeline.

Renault/Nissan/Datsun Stable - Duster AWD which would have been straight up competitor for Thar is no more, Nissan and Datsun were never interested in AWD.

Isuzu Stable - V-Cross looks tasty, offers something more than Thar but unfortunately dealership network is no match, Also IIRC I have seen in off road videos posted by our own moderator @Anshuman some part of V-Cross's body was notoriously easy to get damaged and replacement time was really long.

Tata Stable - If only Harrier/Gravitas had AWD, turns out only AWD option Tata will be having for near future would be Hexa Safari edition, if at all it comes back as BS6.

Force Stable - Gurkha is dead now even if it comes back it is no match for Thar.

FCA Stable - Renegade when it comes can compete with Thar, The Story with Compass is similar to Tucson.

Volkswagen Group Stable - T-Roc/ Karoq are too high above Thar's segment

Ford/Mahindra Stable - Ironically it is Ford and Mahindra who are most capable of providing an alternative to Thar, their possible options are -

Bolero 4WD
Scorpio 4WD
XUV500 AWD
Upcoming Ford C-SUV

It just shows that the reason people are so interested in Thar is not only because it is superior to it's predecessor but also because there is no direct competition. Those who were capable of providing competition have shot themselves in the foot (Read Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Renault). The ball is now fully in Mahindra's court to price it sensibly.
darkLightning is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 00:19   #1572

While we celebrate our budget *Licensed* copy of the Wrangler, some opinions from abroad.

Mahindra spent all their budget on marketing - riding the nationalist sentiment, paying influencers. Surely they could have made an effort to create and original car. Look at Tata- started from the Indica (bottom) now they're at the Altroz.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200818_140743.jpg  

Sayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 01:21   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
But someone just make a similar grill with absolutely super quality and you'll have lines outside your store for this. Just don't make a cheap copy which warps or fades in 6 months. Charge double but make a good quality specimen.
Grill part is understandable but i would say a projector headlamp would have made a huge difference, at least on the life style variants !
Old 19th August 2020, 02:05   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Looks like after market grills are ready before launch. Received via Whatsapp.
That's strange. How did aftermarket fabricators get to know the bumper contours & panel fitments already, seeing that not a single car has been sold yet.

Also, the paint quality & fit and finish look really good. Way better than what we see from non OEM vendors.

Is this an official (read loophole) accessory?

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 19th August 2020 at 02:07.
digitalnirvana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 03:36   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan View Post
Mahindra spent all their budget on marketing - riding the nationalist sentiment, paying influencers. Surely they could have made an effort to create and original car. Look at Tata- started from the Indica (bottom) now they're at the Altroz.
Indica may not be good looking today but it was one of the best looking hatchback in its time. The difference is Indica was designed by I.DE.A Institute while the current efforts such as Tiago, Altroz, Harrier are Tata's own. Given India is not known for design prowess, it gives me a sense of pride and satisfaction that a car designed in India is the best looking in its segment and the segment includes the best from the rest of the world.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks