Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2017, 09:50   #1861
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Did a TD of Compass diesel yesterday.

Few observations:

- Good drivability. The engine seemed responsive and the gearbox is quite smooth. The power delivery starts right from low rpm levels and the car moves with ease from standstill. I did push it in 3rd gear and it seemed eager to build up speed. However, the TD was on city roads and couldn't take it out on highway due to crazy waiting list of prospective customers for TD.

- Ride quality is very good. You don't feel the potholes much.

- Rear seats are too upright. They are also very firm and won't be comfortable on long journeys.

- Driving position is superb. You get a good view of the road.

- The steering is accurate even at low speeds. It also has excellent feel to it due to the high quality leather.

- Leather quality overall is very good. Comparable to that of luxury cars.

- The touch screen was okay to use. Nothing special there. Sound quality was good though.

Overall, it seemed to be a good product. However, I felt it to be overpriced by 3-4L.

The dealership experience was good overall but they didn't have petrol AT variant for TD and that is what we were looking for. Also, due to insane rush on Sunday, we couldn't get all the information we wanted (like, exact difference between variants).
Good thing is that the staff was courteous and welcoming. They asked us to come back on a weekday to discuss in detail.
the_skyliner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 10:02   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
The touch screen was okay to use. Nothing special there. Sound quality was good though.

I actually found the 7' touch screen a little tacky and basically had to poke a few times. Surprisingly found the 5' touch screen to be good on responsiveness. Anyone felt a similar difference ?
Old 14th August 2017, 10:03   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

A few close-up shots of the Compass's Sport (base) variant and it's all-black interiors, courtesy Autos Arena.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant28.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant6.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant4.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant5.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant8.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant12.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant22.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant14.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant20.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant17.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant10.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasssportbasevariant11.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 10:36   #1864
BHPian

While visiting a mall for grocery shopping, I had a chance to look at Jeep Compass as there was a demo car standing. It looks quite appealing externally, no doubt. But once you get inside the first thing that hits you is C-L-A-U-S-T-R-O-P-H-O-B-I-A. It is very packed inside and interior room is quite tight. My wife who is 5'1" commented while occupying the rear bench that head room and space is very tight. Rear bench is strictly for 2 adults. The rear view mirror is quite close to your head compared to other cars. Plastic quality is average and sear levers for height and incline are made of loose and average grade plastic.
The car appears solid, doors close with a thud and fit and finish is quite good. But nothing like out of league compared to others. My opinion is that it is like a better and more expensive Ecosport in terms of interior space. Ertiga has much more space inside for people to sit and enjoy.
autobahnjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 10:42   #1865
BHPian

Took delivery of a Minimal Grey sport variant yesterday. Have had to drive it around 100km or so since then. Some observations.

Good driving position. Was able to find a good position quickly and it gives a commanding view of the road. The rear view mirror is a bit of a distraction though. Might get used to it in a couple of days.

The electric parking brake will also need a few days to get used to.

The second gear seemed a bit short. The car was asking to upshift very soon. Third gear though has a good range and gives a good pull if you press down the pedal.

Superb highway manners. Sixth gear comes up at around 80. The engine is silent but the tires so seem a bit noisy. Even with slight music could hear the road.

Pictures coming soon.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th August 2017 at 11:33. Reason: Corrected 'break' to 'brake'.
ashishs is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 11:42   #1866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishs View Post
Took delivery of a Minimal Grey sport variant yesterday. Have had to drive it around 100km or so since then. Some observations.

Good driving position. Was able to find a good position quickly and it gives a commanding view of the road. The rear view mirror is a bit of a distraction though. Might get used to it in a couple of days. .
Congrats Ashish! So you are the first Compass owner on TBHP!!
I am also expecting mine within this week and mine is also Minimal Grey in Ltd 4x2 trim.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:33   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I actually found the 7' touch screen a little tacky and basically had to poke a few times. Surprisingly found the 5' touch screen to be good on responsiveness. Anyone felt a similar difference ?
I too felt the same. The smaller one is more responsive.

What was annoying though was the UI design which makes you press/touch the key twice to get it going.

As against this, the touch screen in Octavia is fantastic. I know that these are not the same segment vehicles but then the prices are similar.
Old 14th August 2017, 13:21   #1868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I am also expecting mine within this week and mine is also Minimal Grey in Ltd 4x2 trim.
Congrats!! But we were expecting the 4x4 trim as per your previous posts. What happened there?
Old 14th August 2017, 13:27   #1869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
As against this, the touch screen in Octavia is fantastic. I know that these are not the same segment vehicles but then the prices are similar.
On that note, I did a test drive of the face-lifted Octavia a day after the Compass TD. The later is indeed a great car and has got lot of presence (and that GC advantage) but I found the Octavia better as an overall package; it felt more luxurious and spacious. Agreed that the Style Plus or L&K touch 30 lakhs on-road in Kerala but the Style variant which has got similar (or slightly better) features to the Compass Limited 4x2 variant, and probably is a good option to look at (if you don’t need the 4x4 advantage).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:36   #1870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Congrats!! But we were expecting the 4x4 trim as per your previous posts. What happened there?
4x4 will not be available before Oct and by that time the additional cess would also kick in, which would make the landed costs almost 2 lacs higher. To get earlier delivery I changed my variant to LTD 4x2 which I am getting now and vs the LTD O 4x4 which I would get in Oct, the price difference is almost 5.5 lacs on road (considering cess increase too).
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:50   #1871
BANNED

Quote:
4x4 will not be available before Oct and by that time the additional cess would also kick in, which would make the landed costs almost 2 lacs higher. To get earlier delivery I changed my variant to LTD 4x2 which I am getting now and vs the LTD O 4x4 which I would get in Oct, the price difference is almost 5.5 lacs on road (considering cess increase too).
Oh! That is a good difference indeed. And in fact even i am of the opinion that the 4wd premium is too high over the 2wd. But then jeep bundles it with 6 airbags for no good reason
Old 14th August 2017, 14:18   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Oh! That is a good difference indeed. And in fact even i am of the opinion that the 4wd premium is too high over the 2wd. But then jeep bundles it with 6 airbags for no good reason

Even my cousin is in the same dilemma. He wants the added safety over his ecosport and would love to have the extra 4*4 capability but convincing parents to pay 2L over he 4*2 and the added danger of GST cess being implemented is making it harder to decide. The SA looks to be confident of getting the car at the end of the month or the first week of the September.

Regarding the car I also did not find the space only a little better than the ecosport though the car is a beast to drive and one of the best I have test driven. The MT made it even more fun to drive then the 1st gen X1 I had driven.
Old 14th August 2017, 14:55   #1873
Distinguished - BHPian

For people in a quandary over the current GST prices and the new GST prices (once the cess comes in) , here is a quick comparison, which I made. This is for the LTD 4x2 and the LTD (O) 4x4 variants.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 5418
Size:  10.6 KB

These are ex-Gurgaon and other things like Insurance etc are indicative based on Company lease. RTO and Regn Charges post GST increase are estimations.

Last edited by Behemoth : 14th August 2017 at 15:09.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 16:32   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Ashish! So you are the first Compass owner on TBHP!!
Eagerly waiting for your views on the car. Expecting a direct comparison with Yeti to figure out how Compass would fare against Karoq.

Although, Karoq might only be launched in its DSG iteration which might shut it out for many of us here!
torque18 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 17:21   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
For people in a quandary over the current GST prices and the new GST prices (once the cess comes in) , here is a quick comparison, which I made. This is for the LTD 4x2 and the LTD (O) 4x4 variants.
As per my understanding and also confirmed with our lease company Orix, with company lease option, it shall not matter when you buy your car, pre GST or post GST, whenever GST gets applicable, it will be reflected on the EMI. Please correct if there are any other facts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks