Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:34   #1591
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

I am not sure why speculations are putting off some people. TATA motors is probably gleeful seeing this thread, it all adds to the buzz around the car. It is quite natural for enthusiasts in this form to speculate and clarify each other and refine hypothesis using our shared knowledge. Those who are less interested and prefer to sit back and wait for the official word can always unsubscribe to the thread and come back after launch.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 23rd November 2018 at 22:36.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 00:37   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Photo Analysis of Gearboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
We are all petrolheads, but not soothsayers who can forecast based on some random pics. Give them a chance to launch the goddamn product before we do such deep speculative research.

Excuse my French, but the extrapolations on this thread are really getting out of control.
Took the words out of my mouth. All the belly-aching about the pricing had me scratching my head too. Tata has had missteps with the Aria's and Bolt's pricing, but other than that, they tend to get the pricing right more often than wrong; let them launch the product (or at least announce the pricing), then crib all you want.
Amartya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 09:59   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Or, it could be from the Jeep Compass as there the Reverse gear is in same 'extreme left' position;

As Tata is using the Compass Diesel engine for the Harrier hence using Jeep/FCA's M/T would be ideally making it the right engine-gearbox combo.
I see no reason for Tata to outsource a manual gear box! Come on, why would they do that? Have they not mated their own gear boxes to outsourced engines before? Also, a manufacturer like Tata who has decades of experience in manufacturing their own engines and gearboxes would surely not look outside for a manual.

Outsourcing the Automatic is completely understandable since Tata actually have not produced many conventional ATs and neither a CVT.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2018 at 10:55. Reason: Typo corrected.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 11:56   #1594
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Does Tata have a compact manual transmission that can handle 450nm plus of torque ? Hexa, Aria, Storme all have maximum 400nm torque only because of this gearbox limitation.
Old 24th November 2018, 12:22   #1595
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Does Tata have a compact manual transmission that can handle 450nm plus of torque ? Hexa, Aria, Storme all have maximum 400nm torque only because of this gearbox limitation.
That Aria / Storme gear box should be in that range. Dhabhar Behram had shared his experience when he had beaten a Fortuner. Going by that narration, the Storme he was driving that day was in a higher state of tune. But production is definitely limited for reliability. And FE.
Old 24th November 2018, 12:59   #1596
BHPian

Re: A Photo Analysis of Gearboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
My ‘99 Sumo 4x4 had the same ‘reverse before 1’ configuration, therefore I could speculate similarly that TML is going back to its old gearbox - which would be a really bad idea, because I replaced that GB with the one from a later Safari that has ‘reverse after 5’ since that was a really shitty gearbox from TML.

Haha, totally but yeah, so did my 95 Sumo. A few years down the line, it required a mini miracle to slot it into 1st, I suspect TM knew this, hence 1st and 2nd were super short ratios, almost everyone I knew, who had a Sumo back then used to ignore 1st and just get going in 2nd! On the plus side, that was one of the most forgiving vehicles I have owned!

Sorry for going , couldn't resist the nostalgia trip. Back to Harrier we go!
da_lowrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 14:12   #1597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
The 2l fiat engine has 350nm of torque...
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 14:57   #1598
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

In the second teaser video of the aircon vent , what's the purpose of series of fins just above the aircon vent? Haven't seen that in any vehicles before
v6kgang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 17:28   #1599
BHPian

Teaser No. 3
uday.ere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 20:30   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Whichever is the creative agency employed by Tata, they certainly have flair for automobiles and know how to highlight the design character of the vehicle...
When I was young, I was lured in by "Reclaim Your Life!" campaign for Safari. Safari was better than Scorpio probably in one thing - ride quality. But, it was the effect of these ads plus understated styling (while Mahindra was doing the exact opposite) that my so called logical brain adjusted the weightage of these two factors so much that the logical conclusion was to buy the Safari.

When I sold it, I told myself - "Don't buy a Tata car again!" Now, they are at it again - upping the desirability quotient slowly. But, this time - I'm wiser. That's not to say that I won't fall for it again. But, if I do, I'll do so without the pretext of it being the rational/logical thing to do. Guess this is what is called wisdom!

One way I can overcome the urge to see this car is positive light is if they launch it without AT. Howsoever good their messaging and positioning might be, both hemispheres of brain combined can not win the battle against the lone warrior that goes by the name "left-knee".

Last edited by Su-47 : 24th November 2018 at 20:33. Reason: Fixed typo
Su-47 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 21:22   #1601
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
In the second teaser video of the aircon vent , what's the purpose of series of fins just above the aircon vent? Haven't seen that in any vehicles before
Actually many vehicles have it. It blows air to Defog the side windows in front of the side view mirrors in defogger mode.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 22:33   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually many vehicles have it. It blows air to Defog the side windows in front of the side view mirrors in defogger mode.
It was a feature since Safari. Due to these unique vents, the driver and passenger windows never fog up even in rains and cold air-conditioning.
AirbusCapt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 08:09   #1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
When I was young, I was lured in by "Reclaim Your Life!" campaign for Safari. Safari was better than Scorpio probably in one thing - ride quality.
The SU - 47 was a concept which led to the related development of the SU-27 and 30 aircraft which are hugely successful. Can relate to TATA vehicles easily in a similar way.
Here is an Indian company taking over a dying automobile company and turning in around and producing world class automobiles. The spin offs are obvious and will only get better in the Indian market scene. Haven't owned a Safari, But have driven my brothers car and through him know the exact problems.His was not exactly a very painful experience as described. Lets wait and watch and since its an Indian made car lets give it some rope.

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2018 at 14:46. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 25th November 2018, 10:38   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post

Is it me or are there no airflow control dials visible on the vents ?

Could the airflow be electronically controlled using touch sensitive pads for each aircon vent like the A8?
Old 25th November 2018, 14:10   #1605
BHPian

An article from IndianAutosBlog:
What Tata Motors has done to ensure the Harrier doesn't go the Aria way

Some relevant bits:

While designers and engineers were constrained in the Hexa project (using the Aria as a base, there were limitations as to how much re-engineering could take place), Tata has given carte blanche for the Harrier project.

The Harrier is expected to be a feature-packed SUV with an 8.8-inch infotainment unit sourced from Visteon (which also supplies for the Range Rover Velar), MirrorLink, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay, audio from Harman, chilled storage area in the armrest, cruise control, 6 airbags, LED taillights, leatherette seats and much more.

Where it appeared engineering and marketing teams in the Aria project sat at opposite ends of the pole, Tata seems to have streamlined its workforce on newer projects.

Mayank Pareek, President, PV unit, told IAB that the company is also undertaking a "big project" to upgrade showrooms starting January 2019 with a significant focus on digital experience. IAB understands this will include configurators with an option for customers to order and spec the Harrier online.
spindoc is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks