Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2018, 15:04   #1606
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Safari was better than Scorpio probably in one thing - ride quality
I am not sure which version of the Safari you had reclaim seems to be the 3.0L one. I owned the 2.2 L 140 bhp version while my close friend has a Scorpio both on the respective AVL tuned engine. From the cramped interior to the ride quality to the sheer power and torque and NVH I honestly did not find much going for the Scorpio. The service interval of 15000 km was best in class. In all the time I owned it I only had to replace the clutch cylinder and fix an A/C

My only grouse was with the service and If I were to nitpick the rubbery clunky gearbox and long throw clutch.

On the Hexa things only improved without compromising what worked.

Now most relevant to this thread while the JLR pedigree(platform and suspension) is one attraction I expect the Harrier and the H7X most importantly to retain the Tata pedigree of excellent ride, presence on the road and the solid build while addressing service, a smoother gearbox and a more practical clutch, a fresh look and sensible pricing.

From what I have seen and read so far of the Harrier I see all these things are coming together and this time there is a catchy ad campaign too.
nainan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 15:09   #1607
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Now most relevant to this thread while the JLR pedigree(platform and suspension) is one attraction I expect the Harrier and the H7X most importantly to retain the Tata pedigree of excellent ride, presence on the road and the solid build while addressing service, a smoother gearbox and a more practical clutch, a fresh look and sensible pricing.
Don't forget the steering. That one needs to be improved as well (in comparison to Hexa), if they want Harrier to appeal to city folks.
Old 25th November 2018, 15:42   #1608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Don't forget the steering. That one needs to be improved as well (in comparison to Hexa), if they want Harrier to appeal to city folks.
I hope they don’t. The steering in hexa was better than crysta. Yes it was heavy but that’s what you want. Most Tata cars have a heavier steering than competitors which is what people like.

The Land Rover discovery sport we drove last week which the harrier is based on also had a much heavier steering than other cars. All of us (5 moderators) loved that about the car.
Vid6639 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 17:46   #1609
BHPian

Teaser No. 4
uday.ere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 18:59   #1610
BHPian

Slightly OT, I really liked the background music in the harrier teasers. It has got the oomph which matches the excitement around the car. Tata advertisements have always been top notch and these teasers take this legacy forward.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 22:10   #1611
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Keeping aside the premature comments, I find it odd that TATA has not released any stats 10k bookings for Harrier etc so far and it appears to indicate some reluctance on customers part. I for one find it overstyled and too garish from my first impression. If there is no Automatic at the start, thats another nail in the coffin. Still early dates and fingers crossed for the sake of TATA who has to succeed and lift Indian brands to new heights.
urajkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 23:23   #1612
BHPian

I am sure they will announce the numbers for pre-booking during the official launch.
bageherath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:32   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

Seven-seat Tata 'Harrier' likely to debut at Auto Expo 2020. Will get a New name.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Quote:
The seven-seat version of the Harrier will be known by a different name and will also use a more powerful 2.0-litre diesel engine.
Quote:
five-seat Harrier will come with a BS-IV-complaint
Quote:
The 7 seat SUV with 170hp motor will also be BS-VI-compliant and will make its way to the five-seater model as well, around the same
Quote:
Transmission options for the seven-seat Harrier include a 6-speed manual and a Hyundai-sourced 6-speed torque convertor automatic

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th November 2018 at 13:36.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:34   #1614
BHPian

7 seater Tata Harrier will be debuting in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
The seven-seat version of the Harrier will be known by a different name and will also use a more powerful 2.0-litre diesel engine.

Whether the seven-seat model will be longer than the standard Harrier to accommodate the seven-seat layout is still unknown, however, both models are expected to carry the same design.

As we had revealed earlier, the seven-seat SUV will carry a different name in order to differentiate it from the five-seater. The former is also likely to be powered by a more powerful version of the Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre motor.

When the seven-seat variant makes its debut, it will have a more powerful engine, which will churn out around 170hp. The 170hp motor will also be BS-VI-compliant and will make its way to the five-seater model as well, around the same time. Sources suggest that the BS-VI engine could even be capable of making more than 170hp when it is introduced. Transmission options for the seven-seat Harrier include a 6-speed manual and a Hyundai-sourced 6-speed torque convertor automatic.
As the five-seat Harrier is estimated to carry an on-road price tag between Rs 16-21 lakh, expect the seven-seat SUV to come at a slight premium over its five-seat counterpart.
Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 14:04   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly they mention that whether the 7 seater will have the additional length or not is still unknown. I feel that close to 4.6 meters length of the Harrier is good enough to accommodate 2 small seats (just like any other 5+2 seaters). Anything more than this will make the car cumbersome to handle in the city and will prompt many potential owners to skip the car. Anyone who prefers a full fledged 7 seater is likely fo for a people mover like Innova.
Old 26th November 2018, 14:18   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Interestingly they mention that whether the 7 seater will have the additional length or not is still unknown. I feel that close to 4.6 meters length of the Harrier is good enough to accommodate 2 small seats (just like any other 5+2 seaters).
True that. The new Ertiga does this with a length of 4.3 metres. Heck, the older one also was a 5+2 seater with a 4.2 metre length . So, the Harrier itself might be capable of accommodating an additional row. But why would Tata want to have so many 7 seaters with likely price overlaps? The article is also quite ambiguous in its mention of the 7-seater, so in all probability, it could be the H7X itself - which means additional length.
Old 26th November 2018, 14:18   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Anyone who prefers a full fledged 7 seater is likely fo for a people mover like Innova.
I feel that our car market lacks actual 7 / 8 seaters entirely. The Innova you cited as an example (and the Fortuner, the Endeavour, the Alturas..) forces adults to sit in a cramped / knees-up position in the last row.

On the Innova, again, the '7-seater' version is like a 4+2 seater in reality (I am not calling it a 6 seater, because as per me, a 6 seater should not require adults to compromise on legroom and under-thigh support). The only area it does better than, say, an XUV is that it has some usable luggage space if the 4+2 seats are utilized.

So it is 4+2 (with luggage), or 4+2 (without luggage). No 7 seaters to be found anywhere in the mass market.

Maybe vehicles in the Pacifica segment can address this market gap.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 26th November 2018 at 14:43.
vipul_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 14:24   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
7 seater Tata Harrier will be debuting in Auto Expo 2020
Thanks! If that piece of news is true, I think the Hexa will receive some bids now from fence sitters waiting eagerly for the 7 seater.

Last edited by rovingeye : 26th November 2018 at 14:36.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 14:37   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Seven-seat Tata 'Harrier' likely to debut at Auto Expo 2020. Will get a New name.

Link
So what's the significance of this news/leak/rumour/speculation? Does it mean we're being told that H7X will not launch anytime before 2021 and that prospective buyers should either firm up on Harrier (5 seater) or Hexa (7 seater), if going with TATA? If it's true, it's too long a wait for H7X assuming it sibling would be in market for good 2 years. I'm not sure how it's going to help TML assuming MG, KIA are lining up their launches around same time or sooner.
Old 26th November 2018, 15:03   #1620
BHPian

The 7 seater has to be longer and differently styled as:-
- The Omega Arc platform is good for 4800 mm so there is scope for a bigger 7 seater

- The Omega Arc video shows 3 cars out of which the H7X has the longest overhang suggesting it is the longest of the 3

- The H7X is taller with a hump on the roof like a Safari at first glance but much more likely to be like the LR Discovery which too has a hump in the video

- The H7X has roof rails like the Safari which in the Safaris case was used to hide the hump

Moreover if the intent was to add 2 seats to the Harrier there is nothing to showcase or use a new name. This has to be a Safari replacement as the Storme is quite long in the tooth. If the Santro success is anything to go by Tata should name it the Safari and build up on the brand value the name brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMachine View Post
Does it mean we're being told that H7X will not launch anytime before 2021 and that prospective buyers should either firm up on Harrier (5 seater) or Hexa (7 seater), if going with TATA? If it's true, it's too long a wait for H7X assuming it sibling would be in market for good 2 years. I'm not sure how it's going to help TML assuming MG, KIA are lining up their launches around same time or sooner.
Given it will debut in the Auto expo and Tata's expo to production cycle seems to be 1-2 years seems this will launch only in 2020 at the earliest and I agree that its too late.

This will also hurt Harrier prospects as the lack of the BS 6 engine, 4 wheel drive and most importantly the automatic which are rumored to be launched only when the 7 seater debuts the Harrier will surely be hit badly considering the competition has all these advantages.

My ardent hope is that TML knows this and has been testing the 7 seater sided by side with the Harrier and will launch it in the 2nd half of 2019 as rumoured

Last edited by nainan : 26th November 2018 at 15:15.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks