Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2024, 16:13   #301
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
[h3]
I did not use an agent nor did I pay a single rupee to them. My rc status was updated by evening and i received the rc via post in 5 days.
Things are certainly looking up at the Rto front here!
Cheers
Indeed they are, I envy you.

I renewed my FC for a 2006 Innova & 2007 Pajero in 2022 (not in TN).
Went through an "agent" and had to pay the RTO charges plus the usual "agent fees".
The RTO penalized me INR 5000 for the Pajero for change of RTO and did not issue the upgraded registration plates and smart card but got both for the Innova. Also created some trouble since I had installed a suspension lift and bigger tires on the Pajero, which was amicably resolved...

Actually the Innova took forever (>6 months) because the agent had used up the money for his personal needs and was making us go around in circles finally after a shafting from my side he relented.

Did not have to renew road tax as both were valid for lifetime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
The renewal is for 5 years. There is an option to pay road tax for a year or in multiples of your choice. I did not know of this feature.
What exactly is "lifetime road tax" is it for 15 years or the actual lifetime of a vehicle which may be n number of years?
Old 30th April 2024, 16:49   #302
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
Indeed they are, I envy you.
What exactly is "lifetime road tax" is it for 15 years or the actual lifetime of a vehicle which may be n number of years?
LTT is for lifetime, as it says. After 20 years, which is when I did my recent renewal, I was given the option to pay for a year or lifetime again. For a year, it was Rs. 1500-/ or Rs. 12,000 for lifetime again. Even the Rto was not very clear about this term(LTT)
Cheers
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 10:51   #303
BHPian

My KL registered zen estilo will complete 15 years in August 2025.

I am exploring possiblity to transfer registration to MH.
If I transfer now, will I get for another 5 years, or only till August 2025?

or can I wait till August 2025 and renew registration at Maharashtra instead? Is it possible?
Old 8th May 2024, 17:36   #304

Hello guys. I wanted to ask for clarification on the penalty for renewing expired RCs. I've seen the rules state Rs 300 per month (for bikes) but several members on this thread have reported to have been charged the penalty as a one-off amount only (even if expired for some years). Does this vary from State to State/whim of the cashier at the individual RTO etc?

My situation: Im looking to buy a used Hero Honda CD100 motorcycle in Punjab. As this model was discontinued in 2006, all the bikes on sale I can find have a 5-10 year expired RC. If the penalty is actually compounded monthly, it would be huge, so any clarification would be very helpful indeed before I go ahead and bought an older vehicle.
Retroclassic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 23:59   #305
BHPian

Hey all, I'm looking for a clarification on renewal. So our i10 has hit the 15 yr mark and is set to undergo its fitness certification. Now the car is registered in KL 01 RTO, while the present owner is residing in TN 14 RTO limits. The owners might re-register the vehicle in TN, after the fitness certification. My query is that is it necessary to repay all the taxes like green tax and MV tax, in TN 14?

Mods: you can move this post to an appropriate thread if found off topic.
Old 15th May 2024, 03:08   #306
BHPian

I found this useful guide to renew from Karnataka Transport Dept. webpage.

https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/s...gistration.pdf

Other links:

https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/info-3/Services/en
Old 18th May 2024, 22:51   #307
BHPian

Questions about 20th-year car registration renewal in Bangalore, Karnataka.

My 2004 Alto registered in Bangalore is up for its 20th-year renewal in July.

I had gotten the 15th-year renewal with the help of an agent and it was a seamless experience. All I had to do was show with the car on the appointed day and I was done without so much as saying hello to the RTO guys.

However, now I am getting quoted (what seems to me) exorbitant charges by the agents for the RC renewal. The couple of folks I enquired with quoted charges in the range of around 18.5k (including the RTO charges).

Hence, Question #1: Are these charges worth it?
I’m fine with paying about 2k-4k for their services over and above the actual RTO charges for the sheer convenience of not having to take a day off from work and be given the run-about by the RTO officials for various pretexts. I know a smattering of Kannada, but not enough to deal with the RTO bureaucracy if it’s in a mood to terrorize me.

Question #2: What exactly would be the RTO charges for this RC renewal?

Here is my attempt at figuring it out. I went to the Vahan Citizen Services website, selected “Renewal of Registration”

Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-vahan-online-services-list.png

Then followed the steps to input the chassis number and OTP, which brought me to the following screen.
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-renewal-registration-vehicle.png

Here, I want to understand further.
The Fee Panel shows a bunch of costs and the total that works out to Rs. 5678.00. I can live with this.
My assumption is that this is the minimum amount that I need to pay.
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-fee-panel.jpg

Now let’s focus on the Tax Details panel.
When the page loads, this is how it looks:
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-tax-details-before.jpg

If I select the lone option “LIFE TIME” in the Tax Mode column, the table gets auto-filled and adds another Rs. 1000.00 to the total. I can live with this too.
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-tax-details-after-selecting-lifetime-tax-mode.jpg

Question #3: What I do not understand is the first field in the Tax Details panel as shown below. What is this for and what is the correct value to be input here?

Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-tax-details-first-field.jpg

I have not proceeded further in this process.

Question #4: How do I figure out which RTO I would have to approach to get this work done, especially the eventual inspection?
KA03 (from my car’s registration) indicates the Indiranagar RTO.
However, for the 15th-year renewal, I had to go the the Jayanagar RTO for inspection! Presumably, because the car was originally registered in Bengaluru South RTO by the previous owner.

Question #5: Am I on the right track in case I want to go ahead with the registration renewal by myself?
Old 19th May 2024, 03:11   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonMonkey View Post

Questions about 20th-year car registration renewal in Bangalore, Karnataka.

My 2004 Alto registered in Bangalore is up for its 20th-year renewal in July.
Question #5: Am I on the right track in case I want to go ahead with the registration renewal by myself?
We had done the 20th year car RC renewal of our Alto in 2022. We paid approx. 5K for the same and got it done on our own. Just take the vehicle in good shape, with electricals like lights and horn in working condition. It was a breeze for us in Jayanagar RTO. Pay the fees, take for inspection and once done submit the same in the below office. RC card came within 3 weeks. We never used any agents for any of our cars. At times, inspector may ask us to get few things done and just assure that it will be done. Local language will definitely help, even otherwise just look confident. That's about it.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:01   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTOR-MIKE View Post
Can you please share a detailed break-up of this? The renewal of my SX4 is coming up.

Also can it be done from a different district witihin the same state? I stay in Ranchi (JH-01) but the car is registered in Jamshedpur (JH-05)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Will search the detailed challan. But 2 major heads: Renewal of registration was Rs. 5K and some Rs. 55-56K was road tax. Balance was under miscellaneous heads like fitness inspection, clerical charges, RC printing, etc. in all, you’ll have to pay about 6% of your invoice value for renewal. New vehicle road tax is 9% in JH and not 6% as the internet suggests.

You will have to visit the RTO or employ any agent if you can’t be physically present. But you’ll need to take your vehicle to MVI for physical inspection.
To add, there is no real need to take the vehicle to Jamshedpur. Get hold of a decent agent. As Saket mentioned, charges are very high in Jharkhand, plus a little extra if done through agent

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 20th May 2024 at 14:02.
Old 29th May 2024, 21:12   #310
BHPian

Does anyone hear know how to transfer the registration name of an expired scooter to my father's or my name? I'll elaborate my situation further. My father had bought a LML Vespa Select Two from a guy sometme around 1998 or early 2000. Now, since he had mainly intented to use the scooter for his medical practice back in his village , he had not gotten the registration transferred to his name. Later he had brought the scooter to Kolkata for his medical practice here and ease of visiting hospitals where his patients were admitted. Sometimes in early 2005, he parked the scooter in my grandfather's house. Long story short, it hasn't moved from there ever since. Now ,I decided to get the scooter restored, since it was my father's first vehicle. But to make it road legal, I'll need to renew the registration, which is still on the name of the original owner. The vehicle was registered in Hooghly RTO of West Bengal. Now can anyone here help me by stating how I can get the name of registration changed ?

And no, contacting the original owner is not an option. Not that the original owner isn't alive, but I don't think he'll entertain such requests now ,after so many years . So fellow members please help.
Old 30th May 2024, 17:45   #311
BHPian

hello friends,

I have a 2012 WagonR which is registered in my wife's name. The RC of this car is at our old address where we resided in 2012.

I had a few queries please if anyone could help:

1. I need to update the address to our current residence. Can I do it online OR do I need to personally visit the RTO ? If online, which is the official site ?

2. Originally in 2012 Mumbai western suburbs had only one RTO (MH 02), now there is a new RTO (MH 47) which also caters to the western suburbs. My new car is registered at MH 47 RTO. So, for the address change request should I submit to the original issuing RTO or the new RTO ?

Regards
Diesel
Old 30th May 2024, 18:56   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
1. I need to update the address to our current residence. Can I do it online OR do I need to personally visit the RTO ? If online, which is the official site ?

2. Originally in 2012 Mumbai western suburbs had only one RTO (MH 02), now there is a new RTO (MH 47) which also caters to the western suburbs. My new car is registered at MH 47 RTO. So, for the address change request should I submit to the original issuing RTO or the new RTO ?

Regards
Diesel
Address change will involve uploading required documents online and further verification to be done at RTO if required.

Your current RTO would be your new RTO based on which is closest to your pincode.

Atleast that is how it works where I live.

Cheers
Old 31st May 2024, 17:55   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroclassic View Post
Hello guys. I wanted to ask for clarification on the penalty for renewing expired RCs. I've seen the rules state Rs 300 per month (for bikes) but several members on this thread have reported to have been charged the penalty as a one-off amount only (even if expired for some years). Does this vary from State to State/whim of the cashier at the individual RTO etc?

My situation: Im looking to buy a used Hero Honda CD100 motorcycle in Punjab. As this model was discontinued in 2006, all the bikes on sale I can find have a 5-10 year expired RC. If the penalty is actually compounded monthly, it would be huge, so any clarification would be very helpful indeed before I go ahead and bought an older vehicle.
I recently got my Yamaha RXG restored to a state wherein it can pass the RTO fitness test and hence can get the RC renewed. Its RC expired in 2011 and has not been renewed since. I got a quote through an agent today and he claims to 'fix' everything for 35k.

I have not re-searched about the penalty (300 per month) but will do so now
Old 31st May 2024, 19:42   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
I recently got my Yamaha RXG restored to a state wherein it can pass the RTO fitness test and hence can get the RC renewed. Its RC expired in 2011 and has not been renewed since. I got a quote through an agent today and he claims to 'fix' everything for 35k.

I have not re-searched about the penalty (300 per month) but will do so now
13 years compounded penalty would be more than 45k. Inspection, registration and tax may be around 5k. I would suggest going to the RTO yourself in case you get lucky like some bhpians and escape penalty. They will tell you the total at the cashier so there's nothing to lose by going. Please let us know what you find!
Retroclassic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks