Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2023, 03:33   #196
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Guys, just curious if a vehicle can be registered at a different location from it's original RC, upon expiry? My Fabia will have it's Pune RC expire this year and wish to have it registered from Hyderabad.
Do I need to get NOC from Pune and pay road-tax for transfer or would getting a new plate do post-inspection?
Old 24th January 2023, 11:36   #197
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Guys, just curious if a vehicle can be registered at a different location from it's original RC, upon expiry? My Fabia will have it's Pune RC expire this year and wish to have it registered from Hyderabad.
Do I need to get NOC from Pune and pay road-tax for transfer or would getting a new plate do post-inspection?
1. The registration needs to be renewed before the expiry and you can apply for renewal of registration prior to expiry of the same. Otherwise it tantamounts to plying the vehicle without valid registration so continuation needs to be there.

2. In case there is transfer between one state to another then you need to obtain an NOC from the registered state and submit the same in the re-located state if this is done within the expiry period and pay the differential road tax.

3. In case you renew the registration in the original state then also you need an NOC and register it in the new state post the renewal perhaps the taxes would be lower.

As I have done as per point no.2 since renewal was not possible in Delhi-NCR so others may be in a better position to advise regarding the cost benefits of transferring an vehicle post or prior to renewal of registration.
Luke1972 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 03:15   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1972 View Post
1. The registration needs to be renewed before the expiry and you can apply for renewal of registration prior to expiry of the same. Otherwise it tantamounts to plying the vehicle without valid registration so continuation needs to be there.

2. In case there is transfer between one state to another then you need to obtain an NOC from the registered state and submit the same in the re-located state if this is done within the expiry period and pay the differential road tax.

3. In case you renew the registration in the original state then also you need an NOC and register it in the new state post the renewal perhaps the taxes would be lower.

As I have done as per point no.2 since renewal was not possible in Delhi-NCR so others may be in a better position to advise regarding the cost benefits of transferring an vehicle post or prior to renewal of registration.

Thank you so much for the detailed info. will help me a lot, to choose from one of the options.
Old 7th February 2023, 15:54   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If you scroll up a few pages, you will find that I recently paid 64K to renew my Civic's registration. Also on the verge of paying 28K for my Zen's renewal very soon. This is in Jharkhand.

Compare this to 2018, when I paid 2.7K for the same Zen when it completed 15 years. In the same state.

Since 01st April 2022, the renewal charges were raised from Rs. 600 to 5K (not road tax but just renewal charges), so I am little surprised that you guys were still able to do it under the bare minimum of 5K (plus other charges).
Hi saket
Did you get it done for the zen?
My i10 is due in September. Today one guy told me it has further gone up, he was asked for 60k for his matiz.
I am wondering if I should transfer my i10 to some other state (maybe Bihar) again before renewal. Had paid around 25k in 2018 getting it transferred from Karnataka.
Old 7th February 2023, 16:39   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi saket
Did you get it done for the zen?
My i10 is due in September. Today one guy told me it has further gone up, he was asked for 60k for his matiz.
I am wondering if I should transfer my i10 to some other state (maybe Bihar) again before renewal. Had paid around 25k in 2018 getting it transferred from Karnataka.
I am not aware of any further hike. I just paid 21K for my Zen last week. 60K for Matiz looks like some miscommunication at some point.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 19:14   #201
BHPian

I have a 2008 Swift Dzire, which was registered in Delhi. I have paid the road tax, and gotten my vehicle registered in Hyderabad.

I now want to apply to renewal of RC within a month since only 2 months are left for the expiry. Can someone guide me on the steps?

Telangana is not part of Vahan, so the requirements and fees are different from other states.
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:34   #202
BHPian

I have applied online for the renewal of registeration of my 2008 Corolla which is expiring in April first week. Have paid the fees online
Environment tax Rs 3000
Renewal of Registeration Rs 5000
Vehicle inspection fee Rs 800
Smart card fee Rs 200
Postal fee Rs 50
This is in the State of Maharashtra

Have taken print out of the pre filled Form 25.Have other documents ready too.
My question is ,should I go directly to the RTO or I need to book an appointment online for submittting the documents.
Old 24th February 2023, 17:44   #203
BHPian

So I went to the RTO without any appointment.
The documents I carried
Prefilled form 25
RC smart card original ( in a ziplock stapled to the document bunch)
Green tax recpt
Registration renewal recpt
PUC copy
Insurance copy
PAN and Aadhar copy
Went to enquiry counter who directed to me to another counter who put an NOC stamp and asked to get the vehicle inspected by the Inspector.
I went there,the Inspector asked me turn on headlights, uppper dipper.
Checked all indicators,brake light,reverse light,horn.
Asked to open the bonnet and verified the Chasis number.
Asked me to remove the sunfilm before signing.
I came back 4 hrs later after removing the films and the Inspector immediately signed.
She asked me to wait if I have time,so that I can submit the documents directly at the processing counter which I did.
Now waiting for my renewed RC.
All in all it will hardly take half an hour if there is no rush and car has no issues.
BTW the inspector complimented me for maintaining the car well.

Last edited by inder : 24th February 2023 at 17:46.
inder is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 18:25   #204

Dear all, while the seller’s agent filled up the NOC form they missed out my surname. Now the field is apparently greyed out and they can’t add my surname to the new regn no. Just wanted to find out if anyone has corrected their name at any time and what the procedure is. My Aadhar has my full name.
Old 24th February 2023, 22:44   #205
BHPian

Finally received my renewed RC after marathon efforts

Documenting my experience with KA03 RTO RC renewal process without going through agent and without paying any bribe. The experience is contrary to what the title of the topic says, it was not easy.

After 197 days, total 6 visits to RTO of total travel of ~216km, equal amount of half day and full day leaves, many messages to RTO and two grievances to Karnataka Govt public grievance redressal system (phone calls to 1902), I finally got the RC smart card in hand today.

My first two visits for doing FC and submitting the form are documented here – https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5383559

3rd visit documented here – https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5424453

At this point, I approached couple of agents for help. But all of them rejected my request saying, they can only take fresh cases, and since I applied myself, they cannot do anything about it. Apparently the applications submitted by agents or individuals are tracked separately by RTO and they will not allow any mixing of the categories.

After no progress in online status where Approve stage was stuck in FIFO for couple of months, I visited early feb (4th visit). The clerk opened a bunch of files to locate mine, but could not find it. He took my number and told me that he will locate the file and call me, which never happened. In the mean time I registered second grievance, and surprisingly I got a call back from RTO enquiring about my grievance. Most likely this helped making progress. I visited last week again, but forgot to first check the RC status online (I was not expecting a change in status). Coincidentally the approval was done one day before my 5th visit without me realizing.

The clerk sent me to an officer’s room. The officer politely apologized for the delays and told me to come back after a week to collect the smart card. I also didn’t want to take risk of postal delivery and opted to visit again. So I made my final and 6th visit today and got my RC smart card in hand from the officer’s desk. This special treatment must be the effect of grievance submission I believe. I could also download the softcopy in mparivahan and digilocker after my 5th visit when approval was done.

Given the time and effort spent in the whole process, I would prefer going through agents only for any govt work in future – total monetary cost will be less than the notional cost I incurred. The main obstacle is, there is no way to enquire through phone calls. Calls and messages remain unanswered. Three of my visits were just to enquire and pushing to get it done sooner, which ideally should happen from home. At least, we can call agents and follow up and don’t have to travel for every follow up.
bivision is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 14:11   #206

Here's my experience with HR-01 (Ambala City) RTO for RC renewal (it was expiring on 27 Feb, 23). I too went self discovery path after getting encouragement from posts above.

Applied and paid fees online on 24 December, 22. I paid total 5450/- (renewal fees-5000/-, Smart card fee-200/-, service/user charge-250/-. Couldn't take off from office and also forgot about renewal, eventually visited the RTO on 6 Feb, 23. I went with self attested printouts of Form 25, payments details, self attested copies of PUC, Insurance, Aadhar/PAN and RC card (in original).

The RTO sits in SDM office premises and there are lot of counters at ground floor alongwith 'May I help You' counter. Asked lady there how to go about renewal process and she asked to approach any typist sitting outside to get prepared a file with all the paper work (ofcourse for a price). When i showed her my application printout and said that i have all the papers ready with me, she gave surprised look and handed over a file cover for Rs. 20/- (on the file cover you need to put your details and purpose of file) and asked to go for document checking at Counter No.8. This is a general counter and all the files for any work in RTO gets vetted there, so this counter is like ration depot in old times which means total chaos.

The official at counter gives a quick look at file and after finding all the documents in order, put a stamp and his initials and further directed to location for physical inspection by Inspector. Interesting bit here is that location for physical inspection is good 18 Kms. away at Anaj Mandi, Mohra and His Highness (Inspector) comes only on thursday from 9AM to 12PM (after that, its turn for commercial vehicles).

Visited the inspection location on 16 Feb, 23 around 9.40 AM. Around 20 vehicles (two wheelers and four wheelers) were already there. After some time, Inspector appears with 2 assistants. He asked everyone to keep bonnets open and put chasis imprint on application and started inspection. Interestingly, the proceedings gets videographed. He gave cursory look at the vehicle, checked nothing but asked to cranked the engine. About to sign the form but changed his mind and noticed that high security sticker is not there on windshield. He puts the remark on form and signed it. (i already have High security number plates and i am yet to apply for Sticker now).

Since it was only 10:25 AM, i took the chance and dashed to RTO office for submission of file. There was a huge line for Counter No. 8 since everyone was coming back from inspection. Managed to get to the dealing clerk after one hour and he concluded that chasis number at RC and imprint on the form doesn't match and asked to meet his Superintendent.

Superintendent was even clueless as to how did it happen. I tried to explain that Inspector himself put his signatures at the form after physically examining the vehicle and even offered to get my vehicle inspected again by him again. He asked me to meet SDM and get this resolved but i persisted saying that RC is printed by them only on submission of vehicle papers and Inspector himself put his signatures on the form. If there is any mistake/confusion, they themselves should resolve. He again asked me to visit another official for checking it in system which was fruitless as the system has the same data as the data on RC. Later, dealing and Superintendent talked on the phone and concluded that in older vehicles, a * is put at last but one place and it is okay to renew. Then, Superintendent put his signatues and the file was ready for submission.

To submit a file, you need to get a token and limited tokens are allotted everyday for a fixed time. But since i was already going to and fro between different rooms and counters, i simply gave my file to Counter No. 6 for submission. The dealing there was also surprised that i had already paid fees online (i guess not many online applications are getting submitted). Here he had to make tax clearance entry before my file could be submitted and told that i had to do that step myself which i didn't understand and also didn't ask. When asked, he told that i should get RC in 15-20 days though post.

Next day, I received one sms that my RC is getting expired on 17 Feb, 23 (my RC was valid till 27 Feb, 23) and i should renew it. Today checked the status on vahan.parivahan.gov.in and it says that completed/approved on 21 Feb, 2023.

My takeaways:

I have been to this RTO office multiple times in the past (non-digitalisation era) and the situation has improved a lot but there's a room for improvement. There was no checklist of documents for various services and citizens are left to get help from typists and agents sitting outside. Saw many senior citizens getting turned away for getting printout of NCRB (National Crime Records Bureau) in case of transfer of vehicle.

There is no need for self addressed stamped envelope. The fees covered it.

Always put more documents for ID and address proof (you never know what else they need)

You need a lot of patience and time, if you don't want to go through agent route. This is doable, if you decide to get this done yourself.

Hope, this helps someone.
rahi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 17:17   #207
BHPian

We have a 2008 SX4 whose registration expires in August this year , how can we get the Registration extended in Delhi NCR ? Any help would be appreciated in this regard .
Old 27th February 2023, 16:24   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
We have a 2008 SX4 whose registration expires in August this year , how can we get the Registration extended in Delhi NCR ? Any help would be appreciated in this regard .
In Delhi NCR the registration cannot be extended. You can try for a NOC and try for registering in a nearby state which is not covered in NCR
Luke1972 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 06:36   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahi View Post
He again asked me to visit another official for checking it in system which was fruitless as the system has the same data as the data on RC. Later, dealing and Superintendent talked on the phone and concluded that in older vehicles, a * is put at last but one place and it is okay to renew. Then, Superintendent put his signatues and the file was ready for submission.
Your story reminds me of our first car which had the engine number F8B but somehow in MV records it was recorded as F&B. For the past 30 yrs fortunately this has never been an issue.
Old 28th February 2023, 08:28   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
For the past 30 yrs fortunately this has never been an issue.
Lucky you.

On a side note, I have an Activa whose registration number is 1975 but they way they had printed it (laminated card, a not smart card). I had actually put 1976 on my license plate for quite some years and when I applied for high security number plate and went there for getting it affixed, it dawned on me that I was committing crime all these years.

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th February 2023 at 08:40. Reason: Typos fixed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks