Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 13:14   #856
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Many on this thread (including myself) have been posting for months that the new Tucson’s AWD would be priced around the VW Tiguan AWD (41L OTR Bangalore). So to me personally, these prices are not at all surprising.

Base petrol variant at 27.7L ex-showroom would mean 34.9L OTR Bangalore. The difference between petrol and diesel in the previous Tucson was 3L OTR, so this Tucson's base diesel should cost around 38L OTR Bangalore. Next, the difference between base diesel and top-end AWD diesel was around 3.5L OTR with the old model, so that could take the new Tucson AWD diesel to around 41.5 OTR at least. I say "at least" as it doesn't account for ADAS, which could incur a higher premium.

Another important thing to remember is that the old Tucson was almost always sold at an average discount of 1L (some have got as high as 1.5L+). So in Bangalore at least, the new base model's ex-showroom price is the same as the old one's OTR price .

One silver lining is that there is no mention of "introductory pricing".

Last edited by lordrayden : 10th August 2022 at 13:18.
lordrayden is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:26   #857
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Guess I should thank Hyundai for clearing my conundrum. Was anyways stretching my finances thin in Tucson vs XUV700 debate thinking Hyundai's interior fit & finish + electricals are likely to be better than Mahindra's. They still might be, but this is sheer greed. As other have pointed out, if they're hoping to squeeze 5L extra over the pervious gen for the base petrol, for the AWD they're likely to brazenly ask for an arm and a leg, maybe a kidney too. I don't know which is more frustrating, the fact that at these prices it's not going to be accessible to many or they actually desire it to be that way to try for a "premium brand" halo. How is the fatter profits per vehicle + lesser numbers sold strategy inherently better than thinner profits + more numbers, Hyundai? You could've always increased prices subsequently incrementally if the demand was adequate.
Vtach is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:31   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Whoever picked up the last batch previous gen Petrol and Diesel Tucsons, definitely got classy deals.

Even the mother of all price hikes, Fortuner didn’t get such a big price hike when the new generation (2016) / facelift (2021) was launched!
Similarly I am happy with my BS4 diesel Kodiaq Style for around 32lacs OTR couple of months before BS6 kicked in. Unlike the current Tucson which is getting quite a bit of updates, the new Kodiaq didn't even get that many changes.
AnandB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:31   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
How is the fatter profits per vehicle + lesser numbers sold strategy inherently better than thinner profits + more numbers, Hyundai?
It's better if they can't supply higher numbers even if there is demand. Look at Skoda Kodiaq - very similar situation. It was sold out in India for entire 2022 at the end of Jan 2022 itself. Their allocation for India is hardly 100 cars per month. They have reopened bookings today (for Q1 2023 deliveries) and hiked prices by 2.5L on all variants.

Last edited by tarunjain : 10th August 2022 at 13:43.
tarunjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:37   #860
BHPian

I am so happy I bought Hyundai Tucson Diesel AT top model in June. Everyone around me was wait for new release but I was like what for? Let me explain:

-Outgoing model has all the features required except ADAS & Ventilated seats. Were these two big for me. No.
- Outgoing model had same Diesel engine and gear box combo as new one. This was important for me as ultimately car is for driving and need the pleasure of doing that.
-Shape of last model appealed to me & new one was not something out of world. (In my view only vehicle in recent times to do a remarkable transformation and worth waiting was new Thar).
-No waiting on outgoing model. In current era of price hikes every quarter this was huge relief.
-Got really good overall package at amazing price point. New one for sure was going to have higher price and there was no reason to wait except bragging rights.

Now everyone who is thinking Tucson is too high on price compared to market. My two bits on that. I would still buy it today with price hike. Why?
- That diesel + AT combo is. just brilliant.
-Has all features that I need
- More reliable then Mahindra/Tata/Skoda/VW new offerings.
- I would not buy petrol even today because its just not that fun to drive. Better to get Alcazar then.
heydj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:39   #861

I guess Hyundai is trying to push people towards buying the Alcazar. My cousin’s family was looking to buy the Alcazar, but I asked them to wait for the price reveal of the Tucson. Being a CKD, I am assuming this car to safer than the locally produced Alcazar. Going by the prices, the base Tucson is almost 7-8 lakhs costlier than the top end Petrol Alcazar. Not sure if people will be willing to spend that much more.
Old 10th August 2022, 13:44   #862
BHPian

Ouch! This makes Tucson more expensive than top spec Model S Compass Petrol which is 26.94 ex-showroom in Mumbai. Not worth spending that kind of money on a Hyundai.
yashg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:54   #863
BHPian

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Unveiled (Pg. 24)

They have done it again! Their intentions are clear, they want this to stay a niche product and have no intentions of making it mainstream.

Lets compare the base model (27.5 lakhs) to AX5 Petrol of XUV 700 which comes with a much more powerful turbo petrol and is also a 5 star rated car, what does Tuscon provide for a huge 10 more lakhs over that?
Sure it has better finesse and Hyundai is a better, somewhat more premium brand so add 2 to 3 lakhs for that, it might be competitive then, but more than 10 lakhs makes their intentions clear, they are not here to sell and will be happy with under 500 units a month. Well good luck to them.
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:56   #864
BHPian

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Unveiled (Pg. 24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Many on this thread (including myself) have been posting for months that the new Tucson’s AWD would be priced around the VW Tiguan AWD (41L OTR Bangalore). So to me personally, these prices are not at all surprising.
Yeah, I too was expecting the top model to cost about 33 lakhs ex-showroom, but I am still a bit taken aback by the price of the base model. I was expecting a range of 25 lakhs to 33 lakhs I guess.
yogishkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:09   #865
R_R
BHPian

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Exactly right. The Tucson competes with the likes of VW Tiguan, Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V etc in other markets. In addition, it is a completely new product (yes, engines may be a modified version of the old one, but still), unlike most of its competitors, who are getting a bit long in the tooth. Honda has only just come up with the new CR-V, while others are still continuing with older versions which are at least 5 years old, at best making do with slight makeovers (like the Tiguan). They are all excellent offerings, of course, but the point is that there was no chance that the Tucson would be priced very much lower than others. Unfortunately, in India, we only have the VW Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq (which just raised its prices again today! Corporate intelligence services at work? ) but they give a sense of where the prices are likely to be, in the neighborhood of 40L, give or take, depending on the version.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:14   #866

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Very disappointed Not only the pricing but the launch event overall and announcing the price for just the base petrol variant, seriously! Is this how a multi billion dollar company is run
Old 10th August 2022, 14:16   #867
BHPian

LOL, this makes the Tiguan's price look justified.
And so the Tiguan survives.
In fact, this is the price for their base model with the underpowered petrol engine (absolutely over-priced), so we can more or less guess what their diesel AWD would cost.
The Tucson just has an advantage of ADAS over Tiguan, nothing else. Of course if you want a diesel, Tucson would have to be the one!
Availability of service-centers/dealerships near you is a different topic tho!

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 10th August 2022 at 14:19.
Old 10th August 2022, 14:17   #868
BHPian

I think I am missing something here, was the launch only for the base model? Do not see the prices for other variants anywhere. Was there any information on when the prices for all variants would be released.
Old 10th August 2022, 14:20   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

ok let me now start stalking Harrier facelift thread, this is out of contention. I will any day pick a preowned X1 over this, I am happy to get commented upon by my friends saying that your car has less features, then you picked a Hyundai for 43 lacs
AtheK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:24   #870

My SA called me earlier today and said that he will send me prices of all variants by 3 PM (they are yet to receive it) and there is approximately 8 months of waiting period already.
vvbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks