Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2022, 16:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Is any photographic comparison between this Jimny 5 door and other regular cars, for example, Dzire or Swift available? Then we can understand its' dimension in a better way.

Meanwhile, can it replace the open-type Gypsys used in jungle safaris? Those Gypsys are so capable (also hats off to the skilled drivers) in extreme terrains of jungles and crossing the river beds. Once we faced a lone elephant at a slope and our driver reversed it and then turned on that uneven slope (in a recent YouTube video style where we see turning cars at the edge of the road) within seconds.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2022 at 06:44. Reason: Edited for better readability
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th September 2022, 16:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

I have mixed feeling for the Jimny.
I am sad that the 3 door version, which is the quintessential form factor of a Jimny that I love is not getting launched in India.
I am happy that MS has finally taken a step towards offering a no nonsense offroader with creature comforts that can take up the duties of a family car.

Not sure of the final dimensions, but I am not liking the length of the Jimny from the spy pics.
Looking forward to the launch.
speedmiester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Is any photographic comparison between this Jimny 5 door and other regular cars, for example, Dzire or Swift available?
This Insta video from Motorbeam can help to get a vague idea about the Jimny's size, it is near a WagonR and a Skoda Slavia

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiZ3l...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

As per the video, Jimny is slightly taller than the WagonR. Jimny will have a tall and narrow stance from the rear like the new Gurkha

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2022 at 06:45. Reason: Quoted text edited
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 17:38   #49
BHPian

From the first pics, looks like the tyres are HT, the side wall looks good though. May be its the angle of the pic, the mounted tyre looks bigger. Also some indication of body roll negotiating the roundabout.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 18:57   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Meanwhile, can it replace the open-type Gypsys used in jungle safaris? Those Gypsys are so capable (also hats off to the skilled drivers) in extreme terrains of jungles and crossing the river beds. Once we faced a lone elephant at a slope and our driver reversed it and then turned on that uneven slope (in a recent YouTube video style where we see turning cars at the edge of the road) within seconds.
I think this has to do with short turning radius due to the overall smaller footprint of the old gypsy and the front and back solid axles which helps in uneven terrains. Both the traits are there in current Jimmy as well.

As per this international review which compares the SJ410 (overseas Gypsy) with current gen Jimmy 3 door, the Jimny is miles ahead in on road manners and better off road as well. Though the Gypsy here looks 'proper cool' in that factory paint job even though it is basically stock. Below is the link,

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2022 at 06:46. Reason: Quoted text edited
tarmacnaut is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 19:17   #51
BHPian

A question to all folks updated with the Jimny launch here in India - Is it confirmed by Maruti that the 3 door version won't get launched ever in India?

I understand Maruti wants to play the volume game and find more value with the 5 door version. But people are anyway lapping up the 3 door Thar.

I am super excited for the Jimny but more keen on the 3 door version.

Thanks.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 21:00   #52
BHPian

I would request the senior BHPians and reviewers to convey to the Maruti Suzuki decision makers about the feedback/ request to consider a Jimny 4x4 version with AT please.

This is not just for the convenience alone. Some users have physical & aged related constraints and knee problems to operate the MT. It would be absolutely necessary to have AT considering the expected gear ratios in Jimny.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 21:01   #53
BHPian

I hope they do not keep it under 4 meters in length as that will result in compromised cargo area.
I'm looking for a proper 5 seater 4x4 plus good luggage space, atleast 400L.

Right now I'm looking at Thar, Gurkha and Jimny all in 5 door avatars. Purchase planned for next year around Diwali. I hope we have all three vehicles on sale by that time.

Not sure why but in the spy shots 5 door Jimny is looking slightly longer than 4 meters, but considering the size and engine options that are rumoured if this comes anywhere above 16L ex-showroom price tag for the top most varient then I will remove Jimny from my list.
Old 13th September 2022, 21:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Not to sound negative but I have been hearing/seeing such news since a decade. The launch is always around the corner but the product is never released. I am tired of looking at these scoops to be frank. There is no product around and we are anticipating the engine and price details. Let Suzuki give an official statement that they will launch it on a specific date and then the discussion will make more sense. I think M&M is better, at least they tease us with a product and there are already tons of reviews on the net. The waiting periods are insane but we see some in flesh and blood on the roads. In my opinion Jimny is no less than the Loch Ness monster! Gives us a sneak peek once in a while but no one has an idea of when the next appearance will be.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 21:12   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Not to sound negative but I have been hearing/seeing such news since a decade. The launch is always around the corner but the product is never released. ---
But here there is a difference in a positive way. Have we ever seen a camouflaged Jimny being tested on Indian roads before?
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 23:28   #56
BHPian

I am in no way a 4X4 enthusiast and have never ever been in a 4X4 vehicle or terrain. My question is, can the Jimmy meet or exceed what is demonstrated in the following video, essentially a home grown product quite a few years back?

Apologies in advance, if this is irrelevant in today's day and age.
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 11:24   #57
BHPian

Here are some more shots. They are not clear but they can give a good idea about its proportions
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-screenshot_202209141116482.png  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-screenshot_202209141116362.png  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-screenshot_202209141116172.png  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-screenshot_202209141116082.png  

iamnvn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 11:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnvn View Post
Here are some more shots. They are not clear but they can give a good idea about its proportions
Share the original link as well. (If Available)
I guess these are screenshots of a reel or YouTube shorts.
Old 14th September 2022, 11:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I am in no way a 4X4 enthusiast and have never ever been in a 4X4 vehicle or terrain. My question is, can the Jimmy meet or exceed what is demonstrated in the following video, essentially a home grown product quite a few years back?
Heh. Plenty of videos out there demonstrating how the little Jimny can eat G Wagens and Hummers for breakfast everyday and twice on Sundays. I’m sure this bar won’t be a problem Just type in ‘Jimny vs’ on YouTube.

Having said which, all those were the classic 3-door. This 5-door thing looks weirdly stretched and disproportionate and one wonders how much that off-road cred will be compromised in order for it to do duty as a passenger ferry. Acknowledging the sales view of a 5 door, I don’t think Maruti of all companies really needs another volume seller. If anything, a halo product for a more niche audience would do wonders to boost its brand as one that’s able to produce performance products as well. Another compromised please-all vehicle would just reinforce its current perception. There is a very sizeable and growing TG of people who want a car that doesn’t need to be able to shift house. Heck, even the Thar isn’t remotely a people carrier and it sells like hot cakes! At the very least I hope they at least offer the option of the 3-door.

Then again, this is Maruti and if wishes were horses..

Last edited by RT13 : 14th September 2022 at 11:37.
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 12:25   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I can the Jimmy meet or exceed what is demonstrated in the following video, essentially a home grown product quite a few years back?.
Yes certainly the Jimny can meet/ exceed all of this.
Here is one of the many videos which showcase some of its capabilities.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks